Opinion of J.K. Rowling
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:44:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of J.K. Rowling
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Poll
Question: Opinion of J.K. Rowling?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Opinion of J.K. Rowling  (Read 5539 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2020, 01:00:20 PM »

Oops

The anti-trans merchandise shop she linked to uses very offensive language so apologies;

"Womyn"

That site is crazy.
Imagine spending 10 pounds for a mug that says "Notorious transphobe".
Imagine spending 18 pounds for a T-shirt that says "Man-hating feminazi prude witch bigot TERF".

The latter crosses the line enough times to be defensible on black comedy grounds. The former is just sad.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2020, 06:12:19 PM »

Oops

The anti-trans merchandise shop she linked to uses very offensive language so apologies;

Why. Why do this. Even if you actually agree with the things being sold on there, why? You're a billionaire. You're being accused of being a bigot and a transphobe and you do this. I don't understand. I just don't get it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #152 on: September 29, 2020, 11:58:11 AM »

Can you elaborate on this? I've had much more benign experiences with self-described radical feminists than a lot of people in my life seem to have had, and I'm wondering if it's maybe a particularly toxic milieu in Britain, or among relatively-older people, or among straight women, etc.

In a British context it would refer to a very particular loose network of people dating from the 1970s and for a long time based around a couple of low-circulation magazines and periodicals, and now largely on social media. We really are not talking of many people at all, but they have always been greatly over-represented in journalism and in social sciences academia, particularly at the former polytechnics. Genuinely strange and extreme arguments tending towards a frankly mystical attitude towards biological essentialism were common right from the start, as was a tendency towards disturbing behaviour, the best known example of which was the decades-long campaign of harassment against Ted Hughes.

However, I read one of Rowling's longer public utterances on this for myself and she actually mentions radical feminism in so many words as an influence on her thought, so BRTD's "but technically"-ing the definition of "TERF" is simply inaccurate in her case.

Oh she's clearly fallen deep down that particular rabbit hole. She is unusually obsessive even for a writer.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #153 on: September 29, 2020, 02:07:55 PM »

Mumsnet is bad for you.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #154 on: September 29, 2020, 10:39:50 PM »

If he has a Y chromosome, he's a man. If she doesn't, she's a woman. Gender is a nonsensical social construct.
Really? So someone born with female genitalia, a female hormonal system, is a man if they* has a Y chromosome? A person could be a “man” their* whole life under this definition and not know it.

*I use a singular they because the term of gender is in dispute, hence why I also use it alongside a singular verb; also applies to singular adjective their with a singular noun, life.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #155 on: September 30, 2020, 01:06:43 AM »

If he has a Y chromosome, he's a man. If she doesn't, she's a woman. Gender is a nonsensical social construct.
Really? So someone born with female genitalia, a female hormonal system, is a man if they* has a Y chromosome? A person could be a “man” their* whole life under this definition and not know it.

*I use a singular they because the term of gender is in dispute, hence why I also use it alongside a singular verb; also applies to singular adjective their with a singular noun, life.

You're talking about a statistical outlier that has literally no bearing on this issue.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2020, 10:47:17 AM »

Intersex people tend not to appreciate being used as gotchas in Trans Discourse. There are much better grounds on which to defend the validity of trans identities.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2020, 12:14:50 PM »

You're talking about a statistical outlier that has literally no bearing on this issue.
If you state something that is usually true as something that is always true, then I will point it out in a case that strikes as narrowly as possible in order to give you ground to concede.

If the point was not about someone’s indisputable gender, based upon gonads, hormonal system, genitalia, and chromosomes, but someone’s disputable gender, based upon self analysis and identification, I would answer that point. To redefine gender as being based solely upon one of those four characteristics that are almost always, but not always, in agreement is a rather silly argument against the legitimacy of transgender identification.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #158 on: October 03, 2020, 10:52:44 AM »

I don't like her
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »