Opinion of J.K. Rowling
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:36:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of J.K. Rowling
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7
Poll
Question: Opinion of J.K. Rowling?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 109

Author Topic: Opinion of J.K. Rowling  (Read 5587 times)
Kyle Rittenhouse is a Political Prisoner
Jalawest2

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 19, 2020, 06:53:01 PM »

Worth mentioning that Reduction in Mental Health Treatment Utilization Among Transgender Individuals After Gender-Affirming Surgeries: A Total Population Study was broadly criticized for widespread methodological issues, and should be more properly titled No Reduction in Mental Health Treatment Utilization Among Transgender Individuals After Gender-Affirming Surgeries: A Total Population Study. The evidence that sex-change surgeries help people with gender dysphoria is not very strong despite intense pressure from activists.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #126 on: September 19, 2020, 10:01:28 PM »

Worth mentioning that Reduction in Mental Health Treatment Utilization Among Transgender Individuals After Gender-Affirming Surgeries: A Total Population Study was broadly criticized for widespread methodological issues, and should be more properly titled No Reduction in Mental Health Treatment Utilization Among Transgender Individuals After Gender-Affirming Surgeries: A Total Population Study. The evidence that sex-change surgeries help people with gender dysphoria is not very strong despite intense pressure from activists.

Part of this is because society, in general, just isn't that good to trans people.

Partly, it's because we have an even harder time accepting masculine women and especially feminine men. If people were allowed to be whoever they wanted and were not boxed in by gender, perhaps fewer people would feel the need to change genders in order to fit these silly societal ideas on gender roles.

Take this scenario -

Billy puts on makeup at age 6

Mom - Don't do that, makeup is for girls

Now Billy thinks maybe he's a girl instead of just a boy who enjoys makeup.
Jalawest2

« Reply #127 on: September 19, 2020, 10:41:54 PM »

Part of this is because society, in general, just isn't that good to trans people.

Partly, it's because we have an even harder time accepting masculine women and especially feminine men. If people were allowed to be whoever they wanted and were not boxed in by gender, perhaps fewer people would feel the need to change genders in order to fit these silly societal ideas on gender roles.

Take this scenario -

Billy might also be influenced by the nonsense idea that boys can actually be girls and vice versa. Biological sex is clear, immutable and binary.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #128 on: September 19, 2020, 11:33:04 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2020, 09:00:02 AM by Velasco »

Take this scenario -

Billy might also be influenced by the nonsense idea that boys can actually be girls and vice versa. Biological sex is clear, immutable and binary.

I doubt that Billy will undertake SRS only because her Mom's advice. Billy could be a She (transgender) or  a He (a boy who enjoys make up). In any case Billy does no harm to society, but society harms Billy. The same rules for Tom Boy, although masculine women and trans men are relatively less mistreated by patriarchal society.  Gender expressions like using lipstick or wearing baggy trousers are unrelated to biology. The claim on biological sex is a clear sign of ignorance, on the other hand. Sexes are not always binary, clear and immutable

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex
Jalawest2

« Reply #129 on: September 19, 2020, 11:46:29 PM »

Take this scenario -

I doubt that Billy will undertake SRS only because her Mom's advice. Billy could be a She (transgender) or  a He (a boy who enjoys make up). In any case Billy does no harm to society, but society harms Billy. The same rules for Tom Boy, although masculine women and trans men are relatively less mistreated by patriarchal society.  Gender expressions like using lipstick or wearing baggy trousers are unrelated to biology. The claim on biological sex are a clear sign of ignorance, on the other hand. Sexes are not always binary, clear and immutable

If he has a Y chromosome, he's a man. If she doesn't, she's a woman. Gender is a nonsensical social construct.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #130 on: September 19, 2020, 11:51:04 PM »

Take this scenario -

I doubt that Billy will undertake SRS only because her Mom's advice. Billy could be a She (transgender) or  a He (a boy who enjoys make up). In any case Billy does no harm to society, but society harms Billy. The same rules for Tom Boy, although masculine women and trans men are relatively less mistreated by patriarchal society.  Gender expressions like using lipstick or wearing baggy trousers are unrelated to biology. The claim on biological sex are a clear sign of ignorance, on the other hand. Sexes are not always binary, clear and immutable

But what about those raised in traumatic, abusive backgrounds where no one had a degree in gender studies or sociology? You don't think years upon years of being told that what they were doing was "feminine" and "for girls" wouldn't convince someone that they were the other gender, when if they'd been raised in a loving society that let boys and girls be whoever they wanted, they might grow up okay with what's between their legs?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2020, 01:10:06 AM »

The main problem with TERFs is not that they're radical feminists...

It absolutely is. Nasty pathological cult. It's where the real insane viciousness of the full-on 'TERF' position on these issues comes from.

Can you elaborate on this? I've had much more benign experiences with self-described radical feminists than a lot of people in my life seem to have had, and I'm wondering if it's maybe a particularly toxic milieu in Britain, or among relatively-older people, or among straight women, etc.

However, I read one of Rowling's longer public utterances on this for myself and she actually mentions radical feminism in so many words as an influence on her thought, so BRTD's "but technically"-ing the definition of "TERF" is simply inaccurate in her case.
I'm pretty sure J. K. Rowling does not support any of the radical feminist notions I've seen endorsed by actual TERFs such a curfew on men, a special tax only men pay, eliminating presumption of innocence in rape cases or any of the other absolutely batsh!t things real TERFs propose.

Also compare Rowling's controversial tweets to the type of things on trans people written by women like Shelia Jeffreys, Julie Bindel and Megan Murphy. It's not even the same ballpark. It's like comparing someone who once made a slughtly offensive joke about Jews to an outright Holocaust-denying neo-Nazi. Rowling is quite honestly probably more tolerant of trans people than the median person and FAR more than the median 50something British woman if we're being honest. I can understand why trans fans of hers feel betrayed but she's not one of the great villains of our time by any means.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2020, 01:11:51 AM »
« Edited: September 20, 2020, 01:16:53 AM by Velasco »

But what about those raised in traumatic, abusive backgrounds where no one had a degree in gender studies or sociology? You don't think years upon years of being told that what they were doing was "feminine" and "for girls" wouldn't convince someone that they were the other gender, when if they'd been raised in a loving society that let boys and girls be whoever they wanted, they might grow up okay with what's between their legs?

My understanding is that most persons undertaking SRS are driven by a strong and intimate desire. I can't conceive someone who is "convinced" to make such a drastic decision on these grounds, except perhaps in cases of extremely weak and insecure personalities that require some kind of psychological or psychiatric assessment
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2020, 01:39:07 AM »

My understanding is that most persons undertaking SRS are driven by a strong and intimate desire. I can't conceive someone who is "convinced" to make such a drastic decision on these grounds, except perhaps in cases of extremely weak and insecure personalities that require some kind of psychological or psychiatric assessment

If a child is told for years upon years that the things they enjoy the most are for the other gender and sometimes forcibly, even violently separated from said activities, do you not think that a desire to transition could develop from the trauma?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2020, 08:03:26 AM »

If he has a Y chromosome, he's a man. If she doesn't, she's a woman. Gender is a nonsensical social construct.
For someone who thinks that gender is sex, riddle me this. I'm up to my neck in gender, but I've never had sex. Got any explanation for that?
Jalawest2

« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2020, 06:21:14 PM »

For someone who thinks that gender is sex, riddle me this. I'm up to my neck in gender, but I've never had sex. Got any explanation for that?
Gender does not exist. It is a social construct invented by ideologues and pushed on children, and a healthy society would resist this ideology.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2020, 07:04:05 PM »

Gender does not exist. It is a social construct invented by ideologues and pushed on children, and a healthy society would resist this ideology.
Are you implying society doesn't "resist" this "ideology"? Tell you what, you explain to me what a "healthy society" would do for people like me.
Jalawest2

« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2020, 07:07:47 PM »

Are you implying society doesn't "resist" this "ideology"? Tell you what, you explain to me what a "healthy society" would do for people like me.
Therapy focused on addressing the issues causing dysphoria or autogynephilia, instead of leaping automatically to surgery.
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2020, 07:21:36 PM »

Therapy focused on addressing the issues causing dysphoria or autogynephilia, instead of leaping automatically to surgery.
So the status quo? I don't think anybody performs SRS at a whim. (And I'm not even gonna touch the whole "autogynephilia" thing even though it's experienced in as few as 28% and as many as 93% of cis women.)
Jalawest2

« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2020, 10:06:12 PM »

So the status quo? I don't think anybody performs SRS at a whim. (And I'm not even gonna touch the whole "autogynephilia" thing even though it's experienced in as few as 28% and as many as 93% of cis women.)
Autogynephilia is not harmful when it does not manifest as the desire for expensive and irreversible surgery that demands everyone else play along.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #140 on: September 20, 2020, 10:19:55 PM »

Autogynephilic theory makes no sense. Clearly I'm a sex-crazed deluded pervert and to fulfill my sexual desires I'm going to... take hormones that lower my sex drive. 
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2020, 05:41:17 PM »

Autogynephilia is not harmful when it does not manifest as the desire for expensive and irreversible surgery that demands everyone else play along.
Skunk has said everything about autogynephilia that I'll ever have to say, so I'm gonna ask this again: Does your plan for trans people vary from the standing protocols in any way? And no, nobody "leap[s] automatically to surgery", so that doesn't count.
And I'll have you know I "demand everyone else play along" even now, where the odds against my being able to remove my primary sex characteristics are staggering.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2020, 04:17:17 AM »

Too good a parody not to share.

afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2020, 06:48:24 AM »

Oops

The anti-trans merchandise shop she linked to uses very offensive language so apologies;

Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2020, 07:18:30 AM »

Rowling's at the age where some DMT would come in handy. Helps get yourself outside of the comfort zone of perception that humans tend to get stuck in. I'd trip sit her happily. Everybody has to have a hobby and if trip sitting middle aged women is one, I'm willing to make it mine. For the greater good too.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2020, 07:26:58 AM »

Oops

The anti-trans merchandise shop she linked to uses very offensive language so apologies;

"Womyn"

That site is crazy.
Imagine spending 10 pounds for a mug that says "Notorious transphobe".
Imagine spending 18 pounds for a T-shirt that says "Man-hating feminazi prude witch bigot TERF".
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2020, 07:39:23 AM »

Writing Harry Potter = FF

Since writing Harry Potter, she's become pretty weird and annoying, but people overreact to her with such extreme vitriol and hatred that it makes me sympathize with her.

This is basically my take on it. I don’t really know what to make of all the online Twitter wars and s—t she’s gotten into. Some of what she has said seems reasonable to me, some a little more out there. But I don’t really care. Not even close to the most eccentric or offensive artist out there. Yet you wouldn’t know it by the insane overreactions people have to every word she says. Makes absolutely no sense to me, and does make me feel a little bad for her because it seems totally unwarranted.

As for the latest controversy, I really just don’t get that either. Isn’t this character supposed to explicitly be a cis man? Not actually trans? So how then can it be transphobic? I don’t see how it’s any worse than Silence of the Lambs, anyway, and don’t think anyone would make a big deal of it if they weren’t already predisposed to think Rowling is some kind of anti-trans bigot based on her tweets. Which last I saw amounted to “Hey I support trans people but also biological sex is real and affects women everywhere so we shouldn’t just pretend it doesn’t exist.” Which again seems totally reasonable to me.

Pretty much this. Her opinions are ...regrettable. But trying to label her as worse than Hitler is preposterous, idiotic, and gives ammo to all the right-wing idiots who harp about cancel culture.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #147 on: September 23, 2020, 08:24:21 AM »

Since writing Harry Potter, she's become pretty weird and annoying, but people overreact to her with such extreme vitriol and hatred that it makes me sympathize with her.

This is basically my take on it. I don’t really know what to make of all the online Twitter wars and s—t she’s gotten into. Some of what she has said seems reasonable to me, some a little more out there. But I don’t really care. Not even close to the most eccentric or offensive artist out there. Yet you wouldn’t know it by the insane overreactions people have to every word she says. Makes absolutely no sense to me, and does make me feel a little bad for her because it seems totally unwarranted.

As for the latest controversy, I really just don’t get that either. Isn’t this character supposed to explicitly be a cis man? Not actually trans? So how then can it be transphobic? I don’t see how it’s any worse than Silence of the Lambs, anyway, and don’t think anyone would make a big deal of it if they weren’t already predisposed to think Rowling is some kind of anti-trans bigot based on her tweets. Which last I saw amounted to “Hey I support trans people but also biological sex is real and affects women everywhere so we shouldn’t just pretend it doesn’t exist.” Which again seems totally reasonable to me.

Pretty much this. Her opinions are ...regrettable. But trying to label her as worse than Hitler is preposterous, idiotic, and gives ammo to all the right-wing idiots who harp about cancel culture.

I mean, right wingers can be right sometimes.  It doesn’t give them ammo, it vindicates their legitimate criticisms of “cancel culture.”
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #148 on: September 23, 2020, 10:02:37 AM »

I mean, right wingers can be right sometimes.  It doesn’t give them ammo, it vindicates their legitimate criticisms of “cancel culture.”

Shhhhhh...
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #149 on: September 23, 2020, 06:35:47 PM »

Oops

Yikes.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies