1960 study on the demographics of California's political parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:22:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  1960 study on the demographics of California's political parties
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1960 study on the demographics of California's political parties  (Read 1548 times)
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 13, 2020, 11:38:09 PM »

https://web.archive.org/web/20100703032451/http://ucdata.berkeley.edu/pubs/CalPolls/305.pdf

Certainly was a different time.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 12:21:42 PM »

Very interesting. The immediate post-New Deal era was the closest the US ever got to class-based voting. How did you happen to come across this?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 02:23:41 PM »

Some things are similar to how things are today, including age and religious party preferences (mostly). But, this is what stood out to me the most: Have some college: Republican- 46% Democrat- 25%
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 03:12:06 PM »

Very interesting. The immediate post-New Deal era was the closest the US ever got to class-based voting. How did you happen to come across this?

I am no expert on this, but I would say this was especially the case in "newer" areas, like many in California, where regional and historical ties were weakest.  For example, the GOP pretty clearly won plenty of working class voters in places like the Great Plains states and rural Vermont, while I am guessing there was a sizable upper-middle class Democratic bloc in major cities, especially somewhere like New York.  However, I imagine a state like California would have had one of the biggest class divides between the two parties at this point, as it was truly a different place than it is now.  I am always reminded of the song The Last Resort by The Eagles, which paints a not-so-complimentary picture of California as somewhat of a materialistic, right-wing escape and ground zero for environmental damage for the sake of capitalism.  Crazy how it just might be the most liberal state in the nation now.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 03:24:28 PM »

I am no expert on this, but I would say this was especially the case in "newer" areas, like many in California, where regional and historical ties were weakest.  For example, the GOP pretty clearly won plenty of working class voters in places like the Great Plains states and rural Vermont, while I am guessing there was a sizable upper-middle class Democratic bloc in major cities, especially somewhere like New York.  However, I imagine a state like California would have had one of the biggest class divides between the two parties at this point, as it was truly a different place than it is now.  I am always reminded of the song The Last Resort by The Eagles, which paints a not-so-complimentary picture of California as somewhat of a materialistic, right-wing escape and ground zero for environmental damage for the sake of capitalism.  Crazy how it just might be the most liberal state in the nation now.

Even within the group of “affluent Republicans” in California at this point you would have had a big divide. On the one hand, there were the Bay Area Republicans, who were mostly moderate Rockefeller types and more established in the area; Marin County was Republican until 1984. On the other hand the rabidly right-wing, conspiracy-minded Republicans of SoCal, particularly Orange County (which saw an incredible 225% growth in population between 1950-1960), who counted large numbers of Midwestern transplants in their ranks. For many of them, their internal migration would have had a symbolic significance of escaping the soon-to-be Rust Belt and industrial cities just beginning to decay, dominated by New Deal politics, to the booming land of low regulation, low unionisation and Cold War industry.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 03:51:15 PM »

Some things are similar to how things are today, including age and religious party preferences (mostly). But, this is what stood out to me the most: Have some college: Republican- 46% Democrat- 25%

Well remember much of the educational gap is an age gap as now you have to go to college to get a good job while it wasn’t true before so many middle class voters over 40 are non college educated due to that
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 04:35:19 PM »

Hella based!
I love that song. I thought I were the only one who listens to it.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 08:06:36 PM »

Several years ago I was lurking on AlternateHistory.com and someone posted one of those Field polls in PDF form, and I checked out the main site. You can't access them directly from the UCData Berkeley website anymore, but someone used the Wayback Machine and archived all California Field polls from 1946-1995. I haven't read all of them, but plenty of good stuff about everything from the Marshall Plan to Prop 187.

For those who are interested in such things:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170805130744/http://ucdata.berkeley.edu/data_record.php?recid=42
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 08:13:27 PM »

I don't think it's that crazy. When I try to imagine 1960s-1980s California, the image that pops into my head is a place full of hippies, stoners, and surfers. Not exactly a conservative crowd. California may have been politically conservative at the state or national level, but culturally I get the sense that it was always a bit "out there". In the movie Taxi Driver, there's a scene where one of the cab drivers talks about how he doesn't like having to drive around gay people in his taxi and remarks that they should "go to California" because "they're way ahead out there." That was in 1976, and already there was this idea of California as some freewheeling progressive hotspot. It's not for nothing that one of the first nationally prominent gay politicians, Harvey Milk, was from there.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 08:29:11 PM »

I don't think it's that crazy. When I try to imagine 1960s-1980s California, the image that pops into my head is a place full of hippies, stoners, and surfers. Not exactly a conservative crowd. California may have been politically conservative at the state or national level, but culturally I get the sense that it was always a bit "out there". In the movie Taxi Driver, there's a scene where one of the cab drivers talks about how he doesn't like having to drive around gay people in his taxi and remarks that they should "go to California" because "they're way ahead out there." That was in 1976, and already there was this idea of California as some freewheeling progressive hotspot. It's not for nothing that one of the first nationally prominent gay politicians, Harvey Milk, was from there.

The people who dominated elections though were not that Progressive crowd, at least until the 1990s.

The people who dominated the elections were older, much more conservative and more Republican and they were augmented by droves of people moving in from the Midwest.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 08:35:01 PM »

California was socially liberal but it was not economically, culturally liberal or liberal on national secuirty.

California was extremely anti tax, hardline on crime issues, and very conservative on immigration too.

Much of this was due to the "Wild Wild Left" culture
Paul Weller
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 09:18:55 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2020, 09:34:06 PM by HenryWallaceVP »

I am no expert on this, but I would say this was especially the case in "newer" areas, like many in California, where regional and historical ties were weakest.  For example, the GOP pretty clearly won plenty of working class voters in places like the Great Plains states and rural Vermont, while I am guessing there was a sizable upper-middle class Democratic bloc in major cities, especially somewhere like New York.  However, I imagine a state like California would have had one of the biggest class divides between the two parties at this point, as it was truly a different place than it is now.  I am always reminded of the song The Last Resort by The Eagles, which paints a not-so-complimentary picture of California as somewhat of a materialistic, right-wing escape and ground zero for environmental damage for the sake of capitalism.  Crazy how it just might be the most liberal state in the nation now.

The people who dominated elections though were not that Progressive crowd, at least until the 1990s.

The people who dominated the elections were older, much more conservative and more Republican and they were augmented by droves of people moving in from the Midwest.

Quite true. A lot of those hippie types were probably non-voters, or too stoned to care. Regardless of politics, they are what one thinks of when one thinks of California in those years, so I suppose they were more successful in shaping California in the popular imagination.

I am no expert on this, but I would say this was especially the case in "newer" areas, like many in California, where regional and historical ties were weakest.  For example, the GOP pretty clearly won plenty of working class voters in places like the Great Plains states and rural Vermont, while I am guessing there was a sizable upper-middle class Democratic bloc in major cities, especially somewhere like New York.  However, I imagine a state like California would have had one of the biggest class divides between the two parties at this point, as it was truly a different place than it is now.  I am always reminded of the song The Last Resort by The Eagles, which paints a not-so-complimentary picture of California as somewhat of a materialistic, right-wing escape and ground zero for environmental damage for the sake of capitalism.  Crazy how it just might be the most liberal state in the nation now.

California was socially liberal but it was not economically, culturally liberal or liberal on national secuirty.

California was extremely anti tax, hardline on crime issues, and very conservative on immigration too.

I just described what I thought to be quite a liberal culture, so I don't see how they weren't culturally liberal. California was also home to a large anti-nuclear and pacifist movement, so I'm not sure how conservative or not they were on national security. Regardless, it's rather meaningless to make sweeping generalizations about a state so large and diverse. In such a place, there can be all sorts of conflicting and contradictory ideologies present at once. It all depends on where in the state you are. San Francisco was one of the most liberal places in the country, while Orange County was fanatically right-wing. There was even talk of an "Orange Curtain" separating Orange County and Los Angeles at the time.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 10:59:19 PM »

Quite true. A lot of those hippie types were probably non-voters, or too stoned to care. Regardless of politics, they are what one thinks of when one thinks of California in those years, so I suppose they were more successful in shaping California in the popular imagination.

I just described what I thought to be quite a liberal culture, so I don't see how they weren't culturally liberal. California was also home to a large anti-nuclear and pacifist movement, so I'm not sure how conservative or not they were on national security. Regardless, it's rather meaningless to make sweeping generalizations about a state so large and diverse. In such a place, there can be all sorts of conflicting and contradictory ideologies present at once. It all depends on where in the state you are. San Francisco was one of the most liberal places in the country, while Orange County was fanatically right-wing. There was even talk of an "Orange Curtain" separating Orange County and Los Angeles at the time.

Most of the people lived in SoCal though which was extremely right wing .

California was culturally conservative in a way that they were hardline on crime , and for stronger immigration enforcement
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »

Rural people were slightly likelier to be Democratic than Republican. That's certainly something that would not be true today.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2020, 05:58:35 PM »

Rural people were slightly likelier to be Democratic than Republican. That's certainly something that would not be true today.

This was probably true throughout the Sunbelt in the 1960s and 1970s.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 06:22:58 PM »

Bigger timber industry back then. Redding was more like Grays Harbor WA/Coos OR/Humboldt CA in those days.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »

Bigger timber industry back then. Redding was more like Grays Harbor WA/Coos OR/Humboldt CA in those days.
Even going back to 1992, you still see Democratic candidates do better in the Sierra Nevada than Orange County.
How times have changed...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies