HB 26-07: The Disabled and Needy Rental Fairness Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:49:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26-07: The Disabled and Needy Rental Fairness Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: HB 26-07: The Disabled and Needy Rental Fairness Act (Passed)  (Read 2260 times)
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2020, 01:44:48 PM »

Abstain
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2020, 03:31:19 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2020, 04:56:20 PM by West_Midlander »

Aye

The very poor approved for this program need help getting to the modular home complexes. Also, only the first three sites are to be recommended for the aforesaid locations (Colby, KS, Ellisville, MS, and Grayson, KY), so further complexes might (and probably should be) built closer to our cities, probably in (relatively) nearby rural counties.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2020, 04:33:10 PM »

aye

It was decided before I was in the House to build in some locations so we need to get people there. I would have prefered to build close where people needing it are, to avoid transplanting people out of their natural habitat.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2020, 01:01:36 AM »

Aye. Definitely agree with Westy's suggestion that we build additional complexes in areas that are easier to get to from the cities.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2020, 10:10:37 AM »

Nay.
The answer to homelessness isn't to round them up and dump them in the middle of Kansas.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2020, 02:01:35 AM »

Closing the vote.

By a vote of 5-1-1-2, this amendment passes. Debate resumes.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2020, 08:43:54 PM »

Yeah, I'm not a fan on busing homeless people to rural areas with less job opportunities than an urban environment.  The job seeking requirement this bill has makes that an even larger concern - while the work opportunities that will be offered by this bill help, I'm unsure if each complex will offer enough in tandem with the local job market to support all potential residents.

I'd be a little more willing to support this bill if the government could assist these people in commuting to and from their jobs, and if, as others have said, the complexes be located closer to urban areas.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2020, 05:25:37 PM »

Yeah, I'm not a fan on busing homeless people to rural areas with less job opportunities than an urban environment.  The job seeking requirement this bill has makes that an even larger concern - while the work opportunities that will be offered by this bill help, I'm unsure if each complex will offer enough in tandem with the local job market to support all potential residents.

I'd be a little more willing to support this bill if the government could assist these people in commuting to and from their jobs, and if, as others have said, the complexes be located closer to urban areas.

That was my original goal and maybe we could expand the number of housing units to include some closer to the cities.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2020, 05:35:11 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2020, 08:28:07 PM by Rep Jessica »

I am offering some amendments

AN ACT
                                        The Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,
Section I. Title & Definitions
i. The long title of this Act shall be the "The Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians"

Section II: Fair Rent Provisions

i. All disabled and SSI/SSDI recipients shall not pay more security deposit within the Republic of Atlasia because of their disability or needs.
ia. This includes people with little rental history.
ii Landlords shall be banned from setting monthly rent to income requirements higher than 2-1 within their rental agreements or policies to get into an apartment.
iii. All waitlists shall exclude factors such as income requirements higher than twice the rent or rental history.
iv. All peoples making less then $25,000 per year shall be included within the needy category and shall be included within section ii and iii above.
iva. All people within the needy category must be employed or actively seeking employment.

Section III: Federal Housing
i. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is granted $580 billion to construct affordable modular home complexes.
ii. These complexes will provide housing for those who cannot adequately provide for themselves.
iii. The first three complexes should be able to house up to 20,000 10,000 people.
iiia. The recommended locations for construction of the complexes are Colby, KS, Ellisville, MS; and Grayson, KY;  Just outside of Gresham, Or; Just outside of Tacoma, Wa; Just outside of Boise Idaho; Just outside of Dallas Texas; Just outside of San Fransisco, Ca; Just outside New york, NY; Just outside of Chicago, Ill; Just outside of  Fort Meyers Fl.
iiib. Each unit shall be between 400 and 500 square feet of living space.
iiic. Each unit shall meet the electrical and plumbing requirements determined by HUD.
iiid. Just outside means within 75 miles of labeled city.
iv. Residents will receive a monthly stipend of $3700.
iva. Residents will have access to work opportunities to earn more money.
v. HUD shall work with the regional and local governments to ensure that homeless populations are matched with a home.
Section IV. Expansion of Subsidies
i. HUD is granted $10 billion to expand rent subsidies for low-income and disabled Atlasians
ia. Preference will be given to SSI/SSDI recipients.
ii. These subsidies shall not exceed 50% of rent or $700 per renter, whichever is greater.
Section V: Transportation subsidies
I. For Transportation for all disabled and needy approved residents of section III.
II. All that are approved shall get free government paid airplane, grayhound bus or train tickets.
III. The government shall grant 30 million dollars yearly for this program.
IIIa money shall be doled out by HUD.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2020, 05:41:45 PM »

Hmm yeah that's better. Gresham, for instance, is a good choice as it's right on Portland's superb light rail system. Not sure about the other locations but if possible these centers should be close to cheap, accessible public transportation.

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2020, 01:10:03 PM »

There's no room to build inexpensive housing in San Francisco and New York. We need to operate around this unfortunate reality.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2020, 01:27:35 PM »

There's no room to build inexpensive housing in San Francisco and New York. We need to operate around this unfortunate reality.

I've amended the amendment and listed all new locations "just outside" as in within 25 miles of them. Would that work?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2020, 01:35:39 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2020, 01:38:44 PM by sev »

I've amended the amendment and listed all new locations "just outside" as in within 25 miles of them. Would that work?

So what you can do is pull up google maps and look at the satellite view. For example, in California, pretty much everything that isn't federal parks or highly mountainous is developed. There is no empty space in the Bay Area at all, and if you cross the mountains to the valley, you'll see that the flat open land is being used for agriculture, which can be used but might not be optimal. NY is in a similar position.

If there were to be one in CA, it would probably have to be near Taft, CA.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2020, 12:02:50 AM »

Am I to take that as an objection to Jessica's amendment?
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2020, 01:19:12 AM »

For now, sure. I'm not certain as to whether Rep. Jessica planned to leave the amendment as it is or modify it further.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2020, 08:28:55 PM »

I've increased distance to 75 miles so I am asking for a vote.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2020, 12:30:58 AM »

AN ACT
The Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,
Section I. Title & Definitions
i. The long title of this Act shall be the "The Housing Reform Act for Needy Atlasians"

Section II: Fair Rent Provisions

i. All disabled and SSI/SSDI recipients shall not pay more security deposit within the Republic of Atlasia because of their disability or needs.
ia. This includes people with little rental history.
ii Landlords shall be banned from setting monthly rent to income requirements higher than 2-1 within their rental agreements or policies to get into an apartment.
iii. All waitlists shall exclude factors such as income requirements higher than twice the rent or rental history.
iv. All peoples making less then $25,000 per year shall be included within the needy category and shall be included within section ii and iii above.
iva. All people within the needy category must be employed or actively seeking employment.

Section III: Federal Housing
i. The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) is granted $580 billion to construct affordable modular home complexes.
ii. These complexes will provide housing for those who cannot adequately provide for themselves.
iii. The first three complexes should be able to house up to 20,000 10,000 people.
iiia. The recommended locations for construction of the complexes are Colby, KS, Ellisville, MS; and Grayson, KY; Just outside of Gresham, Or; Just outside of Tacoma, Wa; Just outside of Boise Idaho; Just outside of Dallas Texas; Just outside of San Fransisco, Ca; Just outside New york, NY; Just outside of Chicago, Ill; Just outside of  Fort Meyers Fl.
iiib. Each unit shall be between 400 and 500 square feet of living space.
iiic. Each unit shall meet the electrical and plumbing requirements determined by HUD.
iiid. Just outside means within 75 miles of labeled city.
iv. Residents will receive a monthly stipend of $3700.
iva. Residents will have access to work opportunities to earn more money.
v. HUD shall work with the regional and local governments to ensure that homeless populations are matched with a home.
Section IV. Expansion of Subsidies
i. HUD is granted $10 billion to expand rent subsidies for low-income and disabled Atlasians
ia. Preference will be given to SSI/SSDI recipients.
ii. These subsidies shall not exceed 50% of rent or $700 per renter, whichever is greater.
Section V: Transportation subsidies
I. For Transportation for all disabled and needy approved residents of section III.
II. All that are approved shall get free government paid airplane, grayhound bus or train tickets.
III. The government shall grant 30 million dollars yearly for this program.
IIIa money shall be doled out by HUD.

Representatives, the question is on adoption of the amendment above.

72 hours to vote. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2020, 12:32:37 AM »

Aye. Not sure if we're done with work on this bill but that amendment is solid.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 29, 2020, 12:33:24 AM »

Aye
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #44 on: November 29, 2020, 12:33:56 AM »

Nay. I feel that many of the areas added, especially Chicagoland, are already too densely populated to dump large amounts of new population into.
West_Midlander
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 1.22

« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2020, 03:27:01 PM »

Aye.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2020, 03:29:02 PM »

Nay for now.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2020, 08:00:55 PM »

Aye.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2020, 10:26:34 PM »

aye.
it gives more places and flexibility.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2020, 12:02:27 AM »

This amendment has the votes to pass. 24 hours to vote or change your vote.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies