Wicked Game podcast going thru all 59 presidential elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:20:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Wicked Game podcast going thru all 59 presidential elections
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wicked Game podcast going thru all 59 presidential elections  (Read 1472 times)
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 09, 2020, 01:43:59 PM »
« edited: December 21, 2021, 08:16:49 AM by StateBoiler »

I've finished up through 1804. Pretty good and recommended. Podcasts are about 40 to 45 minutes long. Doing one a week up to the election, they've most recently published 1984.

Narrated by a Lindsey Graham. Who is not the Senator nor related to him.

https://www.stitcher.com/podcast/wondery/american-elections-wicked-game

Some highlights, I always assumed in my head that Burr shot Hamilton shortly after the 1800 election. I didn't realize it wasn't until 1804.

His negatives aside (as of 1804), Burr was very forward-thinking and innovative as far as political campaigns. His Manhattan campaign described in the 1800 election show would not be far away from how it was done decades into the future.

Alexander Hamilton, foremost leader of the Federalists he was, from listening to these shows I feel has been overrated as a political mastermind. He made a lot of what I feel were needless tactical errors in presidential election planning and contrary to how the Federalists and Republicans viewed how government was supposed to operate, he was significantly outorganized by his opposition. His scheming against Adams in 1796 helped to make Jefferson vice president. I also didn't know about his own sex scandal until this podcast (no, I've not seen Hamilton). One simple explanation of history I and most others have probably read was "the Federalists went down because no one replaced Hamilton after he died". Well he didn't die until 1804, when the Federalists were already going downhill. If he lived, what would've been his future politically if he was steadfastly anti-Jeffersonian?
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 04:01:06 PM »

Thank you for sharing this! Watching any political podcast is worth 5 points in my poli sci class each and if I make a writeup about what you learned for the podcast you get an additional 25 im on episode 2 and I love this podcast if they can make Washington running unopposed interesting then I cant wait for elections like 1860 1948 1912 1968 and the other very interesting elections!
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 03:43:10 PM »

Up to 1836, and this podcast has a surprisingly good portrayal of Jackson.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 11:23:56 AM »

I'm caught up with it now (only 2016 is left). Very entertaining and is a nice, rough overview/refresher of US presidential history. A little too much fluff for my tastes, and the reenactments are a bit hokey, but enjoyable and kind of addicting nonetheless.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 08:35:30 AM »

I'm caught up with it now (only 2016 is left). Very entertaining and is a nice, rough overview/refresher of US presidential history. A little too much fluff for my tastes, and the reenactments are a bit hokey, but enjoyable and kind of addicting nonetheless.

Finished 1848 (Taylor/Cass/Van Buren) yesterday. Going at a much slower pace than you are. Really, I just want to get up through and done with 1864 because it's like watching a slow-pace train wreck that you know is coming and the same issue keeps getting repeated. We get to Grant we'll discuss new problems and the late 1800s, which most know much less about.

Van Buren was much more of an antebellum political giant on the level of Henry Clay than I had previously recognized. I think he's mentioned on the podcast every election from 1816 to 1848.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2020, 05:38:47 PM »

Can't believe I'm only hearing about these folks now.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2020, 07:32:23 PM »

I've actually brought up these podcasts in my US History CL-class, we're covering the elections of 1800 right now. We are going up until the end of the Civil War for this semester.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 01:19:50 PM »

Listening to election of 1868, it's of course spending a lot of time on the Johnson impeachment. The period of time from the death of Lincoln to the Senate trial would make a great TV drama series. Johnson and Stanton would be great roles.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2021, 04:06:18 PM »

So I just finished 1920. Graham spends a couple minutes on Debs acting like suffragists thanked him by him getting most of their votes (something I'm questionable on to say the least considering Debs' overall level of support). He then talks about the 1920 election representing the end of the Progressive Era of U.S. politics but talks about Wilson before he left office pardoned Debs. I'm like "what!?" I go back and check and Debs was pardoned by Harding, Wilson before he left office explicitly denied it. Pretty egregious error for a show that's usually well-researched.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 04:15:36 AM »

So I just finished 1920. Graham spends a couple minutes on Debs acting like suffragists thanked him by him getting most of their votes (something I'm questionable on to say the least considering Debs' overall level of support). He then talks about the 1920 election representing the end of the Progressive Era of U.S. politics but talks about Wilson before he left office pardoned Debs. I'm like "what!?" I go back and check and Debs was pardoned by Harding, Wilson before he left office explicitly denied it. Pretty egregious error for a show that's usually well-researched.

On the 1968 one I think Graham refers to Rockefeller as a 'New York tycoon' (without referring to his important political position) and says that Nixon won Georgia. He neglects to mention Wallace's candidacy again after going over the major LeMay gaffe, even though Wallace still came quite close to deadlocking the Electoral College.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 11:54:36 AM »
« Edited: December 20, 2021, 12:03:13 PM by StateBoiler »

On the 1968 one I think Graham refers to Rockefeller as a 'New York tycoon' (without referring to his important political position) and says that Nixon won Georgia. He neglects to mention Wallace's candidacy again after going over the major LeMay gaffe, even though Wallace still came quite close to deadlocking the Electoral College.

Yeah, going through the era you can tell he has a major boner for Debs. One of the 1890s episodes' "recreated conversations" is Debs' involvement in a strike, pre-political career. He titles the 1920 election a 3-way when Debs was a more major factor in 1912 where Debs was only mentioned in passing, the only important thing about Debs 1920 was he was in prison. Although Debs to be fair is probably the most famous American political gadfly ever.

It'd probably suit Wilsonians and progressives a lot better if Wilson had pardoned Debs instead of Harding, but that's not what happened in real life.

I've not gotten to 1968 yet but it's criminal to not discuss Wallace in the frame of there could've been a House election. I hope he goes whole hog in 1944 on the VP replacement.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies