PA-NBC/Marist: Biden +9
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:39:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  PA-NBC/Marist: Biden +9
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: PA-NBC/Marist: Biden +9  (Read 3180 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2020, 06:28:10 AM »

Other 1%
Undecided 2%
JRP1994

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2020, 07:00:11 AM »

Scranton Joe
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2020, 07:37:45 AM »

Here is Marist's track record going back to every vaguely competitive race since 2016 and recording their final poll (or any poll) that was done in the September to November period.

President

Arizona: Trump +5
Florida: Clinton +1
Georgia: Trump +1
New Hampshire: Clinton +2
Nevada: Trump +1
North Carolina: Clinton +6
Ohio: Tie
Pennsylvania: Clinton +12

Senators

Arizona: McCain +16
Florida: Rubio +2
Nevada: Heck +7!!
North Carolina: Tie
Pennsylvania: McGinty +4

Notice how Republicans fared better in polling for Congress vs Trump, yet they didn't end up performing as much better as polling showed.

Senators

Arizona: Sinema +6
Florida: Nelson +4
Indiana: Donnelly +3
Missouri: McCaskill +3
Nevada: Heller +2
Ohio: Brown +13
Tennessee: Blackburn +5
Wisconsin: Baldwin +14

Governors

Florida: Gillum +4
Georgia: Kemp +2 (Got it right for once!)
Nevada: Laxalt +1
Wisconsin: Evers +8

So, what matters more to people. A pollster's track record, or their 538 rating which is clearly not rated on accuracy? I have a feeling this poll is going to end up very siimiliarly to most of these...
tagimaucia

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2020, 08:15:07 AM »

538’s rating system is really dumb because it doesn’t account for methodological changes and it doesn’t seem to have any recency bias, which it really should. I guess that Marist was a really good poll for a long time, but if it’s been that bad lately it shouldn’t be given much weight. It’s equally absurd that Emerson is an A- even though all its good results came before it started using MTurk as a major part of its process. Also, it’s just absurd that Marist still doesn’t weight by education (I think?)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2020, 08:18:16 AM »

538’s rating system is really dumb because it doesn’t account for methodological changes and it doesn’t seem to have any recency bias, which it really should. I guess that Marist was a really good poll for a long time, but if it’s been that bad lately it shouldn’t be given much weight. It’s equally absurd that Emerson is an A- even though all its good results came before it started using MTurk as a major part of its process. Also, it’s just absurd that Marist still doesn’t weight by education (I think?)

It really does feel arbitrary sometimes.  Particularly not a fan of Silver's split-ratings ("A/B").  

We had a former user here that would start every one of his polling posts with "From 538 A-plus, gold standard pollster..." as though that actually carried a ton of weight.  
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2020, 08:19:38 AM »

Nate Cohn has a couple of thoughts on both Marist's weighting and 538's ratings:

Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2020, 08:24:29 AM »

Nate Cohn has a couple of thoughts on both Marist's weighting and 538's ratings:

Let me just grab my popcorn.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2020, 08:27:03 AM »

What do you mean, Skye? Silver takes criticism well and isn't petty or vindictive.  

(I'm apparently in a shade-throwing mood this morning)
tagimaucia

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2020, 08:33:46 AM »

I think the two Nates at least grudgingly respect each other.  Nate Silver clearly hates G. Elliott Morris with a fierce passion lol.
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2020, 08:39:08 AM »

What do you mean, Skye? Silver takes criticism well and isn't petty or vindictive.  

(I'm apparently in a shade-throwing mood this morning)

I'm sure Silver will take it well 👀

I think the two Nates at least grudgingly respect each other.  Nate Silver clearly hates G. Elliott Morris with a fierce passion lol.

Yes, it's clear he hates him, but TBF, I've noticed other pundits avoid interacting with Morris as well.
bilaps
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2020, 08:46:28 AM »

Now watch Atlas do a 180 on PA and claim that it’s the MOST likely state of the four (MN/WI/PA/MI) to vote for Biden and that they never doubted it lol. The overreactions are hilariously predictable.

I'm awaiting the folks that'll attempt to twist themselves into knots explaining why we should trust the NBC/Marist FL poll but not this NBC/Marist PA poll.

We do have precedent with Trafalgar polls of MI/WI (And no other states!!!)

And other way around for sure? Funny how people only look to other side.

For sure, PA is not 9pts to the left of FL. So basicaly only conclusion I can have from these 2 polls are that Marist is bad.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2020, 09:32:52 AM »

Post-Comey letter, Hillary never got a poll of +9 or higher in any of WI, MI, or PA. There's still plenty of time for Trump, Barr, and friends to try to pull a Comey letter-style stunt, but it's just not reasonable at this point to say we're "just a polling error away from Trump winning" to use Nate Silver's phrase.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2020, 09:35:43 AM »

Is this what caused 538's forecast to sky-rocket Biden to winning-odds of 74/100?
I think he was at 70/100 yesterday.
Anyway, nice number for Biden.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2020, 09:37:28 AM »

Is this what caused 538's forecast to sky-rocket Biden to winning-odds of 74/100?
I think he was at 70/100 yesterday.
Anyway, nice number for Biden.

It's funny after all of the debate here and on Twitter over the 538 model and the JHK model, they have started to converge. 538 is at 74% Biden win and JHK is at 78% Biden win.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2020, 09:39:37 AM »

He's not going to win PA by 9. As said before, 3 or 4 seems the be realistic. Intersting though is Atlas overreacting to polls showing Biden up by these margins since we expect Trump to overperform polls on election day since he did so in 2016 (at least in Rust Belt states).
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2020, 09:42:14 AM »

Even though they don't weigh for education, their education numbers aren't that off what they they should be.

Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2020, 09:43:42 AM »

Gov Tom Wolf won by 17 pts, this puts the end of Trump who won on the back of Gary Johnson, of winning PA
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2020, 10:25:14 AM »

Here is Marist's track record going back to every vaguely competitive race since 2016 and recording their final poll (or any poll) that was done in the September to November period.

President

Arizona: Trump +5
Florida: Clinton +1
Georgia: Trump +1
New Hampshire: Clinton +2
Nevada: Trump +1
North Carolina: Clinton +6
Pennsylvania: Clinton +12

Senators

Arizona: McCain +16
Florida: Rubio +2
Nevada: Heck +7!!
North Carolina: Tie
Pennsylvania: McGinty +4

Notice how Republicans fared better in polling for Congress vs Trump, yet they didn't end up performing as much better as polling showed.

Senators

Arizona: Sinema +6
Florida: Nelson +4
Indiana: Donnelly +3
Missouri: McCaskill +3
Nevada: Heller +2
Ohio: Brown +13
Tennessee: Blackburn +5
Wisconsin: Baldwin +14

Governors

Florida: Gillum +4
Georgia: Kemp +2 (Got it right for once!)
Nevada: Laxalt +1
Wisconsin: Evers +8

So, what matters more to people. A pollster's track record, or their 538 rating which is clearly not rated on accuracy? I have a feeling this poll is going to end up very siimiliarly to most of these...

These numbers are meaningless unless you provide a date as to when they were taken/released as they totally ignore the fact that there were major events that took place during this time period (debates, Access Hollywood Tape, Comey letter) that radically moved numbers. Same thing happened to a lesser extent in 2018 (Kavanaugh hearings). The last Marist PA poll was released on 10/6/2020, yet you are saying they are awful because they were wrong about an election that occurred a month later.
Darthpi – Anti-Florida Activist
darthpi
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.87

P P P
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2020, 10:58:42 AM »

No way that Central PA has swung like that, but it's a crosstab, so we'll forgive it.

I live here and, yeah, that's not happening. Even if Biden has made some very impressive gains in increasingly-liberal Lancaster (plausible) there's no way it offsets counties like Adams and York. I can't tell you the number of Confederate and Trump flags out in the rural parts here.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2020, 11:39:43 AM »

Central: Trump 50-48 (+2)
West: Trump 54-43 (+11)

These both seem very weak for Trump, no? I can't see State College alone keeping it close in central.
jd7171
Rookie
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2020, 12:26:46 PM »

These both seem very weak for Trump, no? I can't see State College alone keeping it close in central.

Not likely. Trump is still popular out in these parts. Biden will probably do better than Clinton by a few points. The bigger problem for him is matching his vote totals in those counties given their all losing population.
MplsDem
Rookie

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2020, 01:14:07 PM »

Does anyone know if Marist counts people with 2-year degrees as "college graduates" in their sample?
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2020, 05:48:05 PM »

Should we be worried though that Marist is still not weighting by education?

However, this lines up with Q-pac and again, we've had a good amount of Biden 6-9 PA polling.

I don't know if Biden is actually up by 9, but it's clear that Rasmussen and Susquehanna were junk.

Philadelphia: Biden 82-15 (+67)
Philadelphia suburbs: Biden 62-34 (+28)
Northeast: Trump 53-43 (+10)

2016 exits were:
Philadelphia: Clinton 83-15 (Clinton +68)
Philly suburbs: Clinton 55-42 (Clinton +13)
Northeast: Trump 55-42 (Trump +13)
Central: Trump 62-34 (Trump  +28)
West: Trump 54-42 (Trump +12

So big swings in the Philly suburbs and Central PA. Rest of the state is static.

There was a devastating collapse in NE, Central and Western PA for Hillary Clinton in 2016. Hillary also under performed a bit in Philly itself, due to a lot of WWC ethnic whites. There was supposed to be a equally large counter swing to the Democrats in the Philly suburbs. There was a moderate swing, but not enough to counteract the collapse in outstate PA.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2020, 01:08:38 AM »

Wow, I had just changed PA from Likely D to Likely R, but it’s time for another ratings change!

PA: Likely R -> Safe D

I thought it would vote right of IA, but now it’s definitely voting left of NV.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2020, 06:33:45 PM »

Good, maybe this forum can stop nervously obsessing over this state now. Keep obsessing over Florida instead, that's more deserved.

Also any blue avatar who was celebrating Marist's Florida poll is a massive hypocrite in yet another way if they are rejecting this one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies