Why is it so difficult to fill out a ballot correctly?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:58:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Why is it so difficult to fill out a ballot correctly?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is it so difficult to fill out a ballot correctly?  (Read 587 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2020, 07:00:43 PM »

I'm voting for president: MB/Ted Bessell (VP)

House: 1. Falterin ARc
2. Seven Eleven
3. Texas Gurl
4. Adam Griffin
5. razze
That's my vote.

My vote as stands, is Devout CEntrist for parliement & Scott.

None of these votes can even be counted.

And I realize this stuff happens every election but I can't comprehend why taking less than two minutes to submit a proper ballot is so hard for some people.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 07:03:56 PM »

The latter is a zombie and is probably PMed by labor to vote or notices there is an election and doesn't care much.

At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 07:06:29 PM »

Why complain about this? Labor still wins as it's usually more votes and defections on the Fed side that get botched.  Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 07:09:56 PM »

Why complain about this? Labor still wins as it's usually more votes and defections on the Fed side that get botched.  Tongue

Because it's annoying and only makes vote counting harder for the people in charge?

It was my least favorite responsibility as an executive. I've never had to deal with a spoiled ballot that would have changed the outcome of an election, but it's totally unnecessary and unfair to force people to decipher your ballot.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 07:13:14 PM »

Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 07:34:49 PM »

This should only be an issue if the vote in question is so incomprehensible that the candidate can't be determined. In the examples Falter posted, including my own vote, I would presume it's perfectly clear who they're voting for.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 07:36:22 PM »

This should only be an issue if the vote in question is so incomprehensible that the candidate can't be determined. In the examples Falter posted, including my own vote, I would presume it's perfectly clear who they're voting for.
I know, it's just funny that several ballots randomly capitalized letters.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 08:26:58 PM »

The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter

-Scott, 2020

Tongue
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 09:00:58 PM »

So you would count DeadPrez's write-in even though his ballot doesn't specify which office ASV is being written in for?
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 09:11:41 PM »

So you would count DeadPrez's write-in even though his ballot doesn't specify which office ASV is being written in for?

I would call that an invalid ballot. I was more referring to random minor spelling errors and such.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 09:21:12 PM »

I have a problem understanding this one:
pres koops mub howz rezz teg gripp

After looking at it 15 minutes I think I understand most of it but I have to interpret it with no certainty.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 09:50:06 PM »

When it is like pulling chicken's teeth to get them to vote at all, it can be literal surprising that they derp out on the ballot itself.

Been slamming my head against the brick wall in frustration on this point since 2009.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 10:58:14 PM »

After looking at it 15 minutes I think I understand most of it but I have to interpret it with no certainty.
The Supreme Court would probably find that valid, since it doesn’t badmouth me.

Scott, if you think that’s bad, a couple years ago there was a (possibly tied) vote with two spoiled ballots, both spoiled by the voter (voting for my ticket) writing in how much they hated me as a running mate. Those votes were kindly invalidated by the election administrator, who, as my rival for the Vice Presidency, felt it necessary to defend me by discarding the votes of those who attacked me.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 12:16:01 AM »

Scott, if you think that’s bad, a couple years ago there was a (possibly tied) vote with two spoiled ballots, both spoiled by the voter (voting for my ticket) writing in how much they hated me as a running mate. Those votes were kindly invalidated by the election administrator, who, as my rival for the Vice Presidency, felt it necessary to defend me by discarding the votes of those who attacked me.

I think I vaguely remember that.

I think over time I've gotten more conservative on the ballot issue. It should just be a simple vote. It doesn't need campaign messages that can easily be posted elsewhere. It should be in plain English and not in Korean or French or whatever. Out of courtesy to the person counting the votes, the ballot should either be copied and pasted or it should be formatted in a way that's simple and easy to understand voters' intent.

In other words, no more stuff like

House:
1. Sev
2. FalterinArc
3. TexasGurl still wets the bed lolololololol
4. f#ck jessica but I guess I'll vote for her

And for the love of God post these things in the right thread and don't vote in other regions' polls just to be cute.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 12:17:33 AM »

I think over time I've gotten more conservative on the ballot issue. It should just be a simple vote. It doesn't need campaign messages that can easily be posted elsewhere. It should be in plain English and not in Korean or French or whatever. Out of courtesy to the person counting the votes, the ballot should either be copied and pasted or it should be formatted in a way that's simple and easy to understand voters' intent.

House:
1. Sev
2. FalterinArc

And for the love of God post these things in the right thread and don't vote in other regions' polls just to be cute.

This, a million times.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 12:18:40 AM »

House:
1. Sev
2. FalterinArc

This, a million times.
For Nix, I think he didn't mean to vote texasgurl and was like NotTexasgurl for some reason.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 12:56:31 AM »

Given I'm publicly accepting write ins for only one office the intent of DeadPrez's ballot should be very clear. And ballot's like DeadPrez's have been accepted by Peebs in the past so there is a precedent.

I think what we need is some sort of punishment for improper ballots which falls short of disenfranchising people when their intent is still clear.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 01:10:13 AM »

Given I'm publicly accepting write ins for only one office the intent of DeadPrez's ballot should be very clear. And ballot's like DeadPrez's have been accepted by Peebs in the past so there is a precedent.

I think what we need is some sort of punishment for improper ballots which falls short of disenfranchising people when their intent is still clear.

I guess the 'textualist' in me says the ballot shouldn't be counted, because it doesn't specify which office the write-in is for even if you are accepting write-ins for a certain office.

Ballot reform is something the federal government and regions should consider so that these things don't continue to be a matter of dispute. There's a fair balance between not disenfranchising voters and sparing the vote counters a headache.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2020, 01:18:09 AM »

I guess the 'textualist' in me says the ballot shouldn't be counted, because it doesn't specify which office the write-in is for even if you are accepting write-ins for a certain office.

Ballot reform is something the federal government and regions should consider so that these things don't continue to be a matter of dispute. There's a fair balance between not disenfranchising voters and sparing the vote counters a headache.

I think it's better for everyone that the Election Administrator takes a very lenient view on ballot validity and only follows the letter of the law in invalidating votes. We've seen the alternative. Elections going to months-long court cases over whether a vote should or should not have been ruled invalid. And I don't think that's good for anyone.
We already have zombie voter invalidating their ballots by accidentally posting in the wrong thread or accidentally double posting and so forth. I think restricting ballot rules will just make the parties take an even tighter grip on their zombies to make sure they cannot invalidate their ballot, and in the process will drive away potential new players and disincentivize free thinking among zombie voters.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2020, 06:27:57 AM »

I know, it's just funny that several ballots randomly capitalized letters.

Just be happy that I didn't go full dyslexia mode and vote for FartInCar
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2020, 07:31:25 AM »

I seriously think all ballots should be formatted like the OP, but it's pretty clear that most people (including officeholders) don't give a f#ck about that.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies