Dwight Eisenhower Voting History
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:25:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Dwight Eisenhower Voting History
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dwight Eisenhower Voting History  (Read 596 times)
E-Dawg 🇺🇦🇦🇲
Guy
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2020, 03:49:55 PM »

Eisenhower obviously voted for himself in 1952 and 1956, and endorsed the Republican candidates in 1960, 1964, and 1968. (Though he was very reluctant about Goldwater.) However, how did he vote before 1952? Was he a lifelong Republican, or did he not become one until the 1940s? Did he vote for his bosses FDR and Truman? Did Eisenhower ever state how he voted in the 1930s and 1940s or in elections beforehand? Assuming he voted as soon as he was legally eligible to, his first election would have been 1912. If I had to guess, I would assume he was a lifelong Republican voter, but I don't know if he actually was.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 04:52:17 PM »

He was a lifelong Republican and a decently partisan/conservative one at that (though he was professional and kept this to himself).  Truman commented on how much his friendship with Ike was strained once Ike’s politics became known.
E-Dawg 🇺🇦🇦🇲
Guy
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 05:32:49 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2020, 06:53:35 PM by Guy »

He was a lifelong Republican and a decently partisan/conservative one at that (though he was professional and kept this to himself).  Truman commented on how much his friendship with Ike was strained once Ike’s politics became known.
Could you please link to sources to these claims, I'm having trouble finding anything.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 06:53:44 PM »

He was a lifelong Republican and a decently partisan/conservative one at that (though he was professional and kept this to himself).  Truman commented on how much his friendship with Ike was strained once Ike’s politics became known.
Could you please link to sources on what Truman said?

I’ll try to find some when I get home from dinner.  It’s mentioned at length in the book “The Presidents Club,” but I don’t actually own the book (simply read it for a long time in a bookstore one time).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies