MT-Gov
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:32:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MT-Gov
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MT-Gov  (Read 896 times)
Liberal Lion

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2020, 01:29:34 PM »

This race seems to be tightening a lot. The last poll had Cooney down only one point and with the MDP ground game that is winnable.

I have seen the airwaves and digital platforms blanketed with hit ads on Gianforte as well. He is not very appealing to Montanans the more they learn about him. I think this race is now Tossup.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 01:57:17 PM »

I think this was always a toss-up race. Imo it is Tilt D due to the favorable environment for Dems post-COVID
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 05:30:53 PM »

Cooney can still win this, but he'd better start spending. I don't want Montana to have Governor Gianforte.
Mexican Wolf
Timberwolf

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 09:05:35 PM »

Cooney can still win this, but he'd better start spending. I don't want Montana to have Governor Gianforte.

1000x this. I donated to the Cooney campaign last month because I want Dems to keep the governorship and because I hate Gianforte more than BRTD hates Kanye.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 09:29:58 PM »

Airwaves and digital platforms have been inundated with anti-Gianforte ads since 2016, and the best Cooney’s own internal poll can show is a 1-point lead for Gianforte? The MDP ground game was solid in 2018 as well, and he still won by 4.5 points.

Don’t get me wrong, this race has always been a Tossup (I said it even when some polls showed him ahead by a high single-digit margin), but I think some Democrats are way too quick to underestimate Gianforte just because they dislike him personally. It’s true that he has a low ceiling for a Republican statewide candidate, but having a low ceiling hasn’t stopped people from running effective campaigns and winning elections (e.g. Rick Scott, Jon Tester).
ChrisMcDanielWasRobbed
KYtrader

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 01:01:24 PM »

Safe R. Gianforte will win.
Liberal Lion

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 10:20:59 PM »

Negative Gianforte ads inundated the state in ‘16 (when he lost) but I would argue that he basically had a free pass in his two Congressional campaigns. I agree that he is often underestimated. His vast fortune a gives him a huge leg up in a cheap media state like Montana. Especially with the consolidated media owned by conservative groups like Lee Newspapers and Sinclair broadcasting.

Question: If Gianforte loses this time is he finished in Montana Politics or does he just buy the nomination again in 4 years?
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 11:22:00 PM »

Negative Gianforte ads inundated the state in ‘16 (when he lost) but I would argue that he basically had a free pass in his two Congressional campaigns. I agree that he is often underestimated. His vast fortune a gives him a huge leg up in a cheap media state like Montana. Especially with the consolidated media owned by conservative groups like Lee Newspapers and Sinclair broadcasting.

Question: If Gianforte loses this time is he finished in Montana Politics or does he just buy the nomination again in 4 years?

I thought he was "finished" after he tackled a reporter.

So I doubt he's done now.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 06:56:55 AM »

Republicans can survive scandals in general better than Democrats. There are exception of course like that Alabama Senate race.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 08:51:06 PM »

Republicans can survive scandals in general better than Democrats. There are exception of course like that Alabama Senate race.

Republicans can tolerate adultery and assault, but not pedophilia.
Heir of Camelot
heirofCamelot
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2020, 02:35:59 PM »

There seems to be a lackluster amount of support among Republicans for Gianforte. There are barely any GG yard signs in Kalispell even when they have them for every other candidate.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2020, 03:12:09 PM »

There seems to be a lackluster amount of support among Republicans for Gianforte. There are barely any GG yard signs in Kalispell even when they have them for every other candidate.

I think we know how this story ends...

For what it's worth, Gianforte doesn't seem as popular here (Kalispell) as he used to be. Fox has been here to campaign. The Bodyslammer never campaigns. I have yet to see a Gianforte yard sign anywhere. I know that's not always the best barometer but all the other candidates have them everywhere, even Rosenfail.

Gianforte ended up crushing Fox and their own native Olszewski in every House district in Flathead County, including the Kalispell area (Fox even finished third in every HD). Shy Greg vote, guys!
Heir of Camelot
heirofCamelot
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2020, 03:02:47 PM »

You got me there. He doesn't garner much enthusiasm but still manages to win against not Steve Bullock.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies