HB 26-03: Abolishment of Hate Crime Laws Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:06:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26-03: Abolishment of Hate Crime Laws Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HB 26-03: Abolishment of Hate Crime Laws Act (Failed)  (Read 707 times)
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 08, 2020, 11:55:18 AM »
« edited: September 11, 2020, 12:01:25 PM by People's Speaker Joseph Cao »

AN ACT
To abolish ALL hate crime laws and acts in the criminal code of the republic of Atlasia.
Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Republic of Atlasia in Congress assembled,

Section I. Title

I. To abolish ALL hate crime laws and acts in the criminal code of the republic of Atlasia.

Section II. Removal of the term hate crime within the criminal code of Atlasia

i. Remove and ban the use of the term hate crime within the legal code of the federal government of Atlasia.
ii. Remove the concept pushed by federal government officials on local police and governments.

Section III. The fair and colorblind enforcement of the law post repeal of hate crime laws

i, remove the separate enforcement of such laws by race within the legal code of the federal government of the republic of Atlasia.
ii. Be it know that all current criminal codes and sentencing will be applied fairly as it has been done throughout the history of our republic based on colorblind legal code.
iii. without considering race within a political context or exercising a double standard based on race.
iiii. all of the above shall apply to the political and legal "pressure" used by the federal government be it funding or political actions.

Section IIII: Cutting federal funding for racial marxist theory
i. Cutting federal funding for critical race theory, whiteness or classes that target one racial group.
ii. This includes federal funding for studies in support of such racist targeted theories.
iii. Any public college, public institution of learning shall be banned from teaching such material.

SECTION V. WHEN EFFECTIVE.
This resolution shall become effective when passed by Congress.  

Sponsor: Jessica
House Designation: HB 26-03

72 hours to debate.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 12:05:38 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2020, 12:09:56 PM by Rep Jessica »

Floor speech in support of this bill

Thank you to all my fellow representatives and I stand before you as the author of this bill to ask you to abolish judgement based "laws" that judge people based on their race and the color of their skin.  MLK once said we should judge a man/women by his or her actions and not for the color of his or her skin. Well, he was right, how can we say we're advancing such goal with such legal beliefs that double down on race and special treatment just because of the color of ones skin? Lets be honest, a murder is a murder, a rape is a  rape and so on and so forth. Such violent behavior is already illegal within the boundaries of atlasia and I ask you to respect the wishes of the great man MLK and abolish such foolishness once and for all. Thank you and god bless you.

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 12:52:12 PM »

I strongly urge my fellow representatives to reject this legislation. For too long in our society minorities and especially African-Americans have felt afraid to be outside and live their lives. The stain of racism still exists on our society. Too often minorities are beaten and killed to strike fear into the hearts of these groups. This is not some random act of violence. This is terrorism. I am honestly disgusted that my colleague would twist the words of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. to promote racial injustice. Responding to racism is not racism and if we treat it as so we risk losing all the progress we have made in our society.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2020, 01:19:22 PM »

I will just say this and that is as equals we deserve to have one justice system and one set of laws. I don't get why this isn't what MLK wanted and don't understand how this is mistreatment of anyone.

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2020, 01:21:22 PM »

Minorities aren’t even treated as equal with these laws. It would be much worse for them without them.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2020, 03:00:03 PM »

I initally oppose this legislation due to the fear that African Americans experience on a daily basis. Eliminating federal hate crime laws allows us to go down a slippery slope.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 03:12:54 PM »

I want our police to enforce the law equally against all law breakers be they black, white, yellow, red or purple. Isn't that fair? Maybe we should consider an amendment dealing with such police abuses kind of like if they clearly kill someone they have less ways to get away with it and they can be judged more like normal people. Believe me, I want the law to be fair for all and I don't want anyone living in fear.

I understand what Sparks and Falterin are saying and hope to see some amendments dealing with police abuse. They must be held to the same standards as anyone else.

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 03:17:08 PM »

The problem with your argument is that your bill would not change how police act. It would change how people are prosecuted. It would mean that someone who committed a lynching would face the same consequences of a man killing another man in a drunken rage. One of these acts clearly terrorizes a specific community and perpetrators of that fear should face more serious consequences.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 04:28:37 PM »

Atlasia doesn't have any federal hate crime laws at the moment.

Is there anything to do here but table this bill? Sorry, Jessica, but there is no purpose here that I see. I'll wait for you to respond.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 04:33:55 PM »

Is there anything to do here but table this bill? Sorry, Jessica, but there is no purpose here that I see. I'll wait for you to respond.
There is one currently being debated in the senate but it hasn't been passed yet.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 04:43:41 PM »

There is one currently being debated in the senate but it hasn't been passed yet.

Right, so unless that bill became law, this bill has no function.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 04:54:30 PM »
« Edited: September 08, 2020, 05:38:29 PM by Rep. FalterinArc »

Right, so unless that bill became law, this bill has no function.
This bill shouldn't have been brought to the floor
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 09:52:40 PM »

Can I motion to table?
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 10:10:24 PM »

Yeah, lets table the bill.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 10:11:48 PM »

Alright, I'll put forward a motion to table HB 26-03.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 11:32:41 PM »

Hmm. We're still in the mandated initial 72-hour debate period, so I'm not sure that this tabling motion is in order.

However, it seems clear where this is headed based on the feedback we've had thus far, so if the Representative is fine with withdrawing his motion I'd be able to request unanimous consent from the floor to waive the minimum debate time requirement and move immediately to a final vote.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 11:34:26 PM »

Hmm. We're still in the mandated initial 72-hour debate period, so I'm not sure that this tabling motion is in order.

However, it seems clear where this is headed based on the feedback we've had thus far, so if the Representative is fine with withdrawing his motion I'd be able to request unanimous consent from the floor to waive the minimum debate time requirement and move immediately to a final vote.

Fair point, motion is withdrawn.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 11:41:33 PM »

Requesting unanimous consent to waive the 72-hour debate requirement, after which we will proceed to a final vote on the bill. Representatives have 24 hours to object.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 11:46:27 PM »

Aye to unanimous consent
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 12:52:53 PM »

Requesting unanimous consent to waive the 72-hour debate requirement, after which we will proceed to a final vote on the bill. Representatives have 24 hours to object.

Aye. No objection.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 11:54:11 PM »

Final vote on the bill – 72 hours to vote.

Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 11:59:11 PM »

Aye
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 12:00:39 AM »

Nay.