Boston Mayor-2021: Marty Walsh to become Secretary of Labor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:03:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Boston Mayor-2021: Marty Walsh to become Secretary of Labor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Boston Mayor-2021: Marty Walsh to become Secretary of Labor  (Read 2224 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2020, 08:55:50 PM »
« edited: January 07, 2021, 04:14:17 PM by NewYorkExpress »

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/michelle-wu-to-run-for-mayor-of-boston/2190338/

The race for Mayor of Boston next year is already taking shape, as City Councilor Michelle Wu has informed Mayor Marty Walsh of her intent to challenge him for reelection.

Besides Wu (and the incumbent, Walsh) other rumored candidates (at least according to Wikipedia) are Andrea Campbell, Lydia Edwards, Kim Janey and Matt O'Malley.

Would any of those candidates, or an outsider (such as one of the City's representatives in the State Senate or House of Representatives) be able to beat Walsh?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 09:06:54 PM »

Left-wing/Sanders/JD types seem to do pretty poorly in executive races, so I'd bet on Walsh if he runs.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 09:13:36 PM »

Slightly off-topic: Not sure if any of you have watched a hilarious TV show called The League that used to air on FX right after Always Sunny, but Marty Walsh kind of looks like one of the main characters.

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 09:18:04 PM »

Wow, Walsh seriously just deprived her of her own announcement moment because she chose to be nice & give him a courtesy phone call. Quite the dick move, considering he hasn't even confirmed whether or not he's running for re-election himself. Shame he evidently doesn't have the grace to let her announce herself.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 09:22:50 PM »

Wow, Walsh seriously just deprived her of her own announcement moment because she chose to be nice & give him a courtesy phone call. Quite the dick move, considering he hasn't even confirmed whether or not he's running for re-election himself. Shame he evidently doesn't have the grace to let her announce herself.

Power move
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 09:30:54 PM »

Power move

Only if he's not intimidated by her. Alternatively, he could've just as easily done this to try to get a better read on her chances before deciding (& not to mention that, in any event, he seems to be waiting on what Biden may be able to offer him in the event of a win on Nov. 3rd).
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 09:49:33 AM »

Left-wing/Sanders/JD types seem to do pretty poorly in executive races, so I'd bet on Walsh if he runs.

Wu is not this. She is a superb politician, far smarter politically and strategically than any JD has ever been, and has been elected city-wide four times (once breaking the record for most votes received by an at-large city council candidate). In her 2017 re-election she received nearly the same number of votes as Walsh did on the mayoral ballot. She is to Walsh what Pressley was to Capuano, and he is right to be worried.
Meatball Ron
recoveringdemocrat

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 08:29:01 AM »

Completely agree, really messed up, especially considering how historic her campaign would be (Boston has never had a Mayor who isn't a white man. Never even had a Mayor who wasn't either born/raised in Boston or born in Ireland/raised in Boston).

Have you ever been to Boston? Or googled Michelle Wu? She is...not this. Not by a mile.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 03:00:10 PM »

JMT

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 08:43:19 PM »

I think Michelle Wu will be a strong candidate, but if Walsh runs again, I think he'd still be a pretty clear favorite. But, some things to consider:

- If Elizabeth Warren gets appointed to Biden's cabinet and Ayanna Pressley succeeds her in the Senate, I wonder if Wu would abandon a tough race for Mayor to instead run for Pressley's seat? I feel like Wu would be the frontrunner if Pressley resigns from the House, it would probably be an easier path to victory.
- Does Walsh get appointed to Biden's cabinet? Walsh could be a good fit for Secretary of Labor, and if Biden offers that (or another position) to Walsh, I bet he takes it. In the event of an open mayoral race, I think Wu is probably the frontrunner.
- If Walsh doesn't get a political appointment, does he run for a third term? I think he does run again if he isn't in Biden's administration, but I suppose it's possible he doesn't run again (in which case, Wu is probably the frontrunner).

I'm definitely interested to see how this plays out. If a Walsh vs. Wu race ends up happening, I think Wu does much better than Walsh's last opponent in 2017, but she probably still loses. What do others think?
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2020, 06:33:42 PM »

Wu is strong as Walsh's successor, but not as his opponent.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 07:15:31 AM »

I dig Marty Walsh just because he can speak Irish.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 08:21:59 AM »

Already got a poll for the race:

TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 10:27:00 AM »

Already got a poll for the race:

September 11-15
400 registered voters
MoE: 4.9%

Another candidate 6%
Undecided 18%

Walsh won his 2017 race 65.4%-34%.

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 10:35:57 AM »

Can't stop Marty
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 04:13:54 PM »

Marty Walsh has been nominated as Secretary of Labor.

President-elect Joe Biden has picked Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, a former top union leader, to serve as his Labor secretary, according to four sources, ending a selection process that split the labor movement and stoked diversity concerns among Democrats.

With Walsh likely joining the Biden Cabinet, who becomes the frontrunner?
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 06:09:32 PM »

Marty Walsh has been nominated as Secretary of Labor.

President-elect Joe Biden has picked Boston Mayor Marty Walsh, a former top union leader, to serve as his Labor secretary, according to four sources, ending a selection process that split the labor movement and stoked diversity concerns among Democrats.

With Walsh likely joining the Biden Cabinet, who becomes the frontrunner?
Wu given that she is a strong candidate.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 06:17:08 PM »

Wu is likely the frontrunner now that Walsh is out, I assume?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 06:51:18 PM »

Does the possibility that Kim Janey runs as an incumbent have the potential to upend the race?
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 12:20:33 PM »

Does the possibility that Kim Janey runs as an incumbent have the potential to upend the race?

Considering I've never heard of her, no. Wu is the heavy favorite now.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 02:01:37 PM »

A high chance I'll reside in Boston and that the first vote I ever cast will be for Wu in September. She has my enthusiastic endorsement.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies