Why Jared Polis will be Harris's running mate in 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:57:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why Jared Polis will be Harris's running mate in 2024
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why Jared Polis will be Harris's running mate in 2024  (Read 1977 times)
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 07, 2020, 05:36:11 PM »

This argument presumes that Biden will both win this year and choose not to run in 2024, neither of which is certain.  Still...

If Harris is the nominee in 2024, she'll want to pick a non-threatening white guy for her running mate, primarily as an outreach to moderate swing voters.  Look up non-threatening in the dictionary and you'll find a picture of Jared Polis.  Plus, as the governor of a mid-size, growing state, he could add a fresh, outsider's face to the ticket.  At the same time, he has ten years of relevant Congressional experience as part of his resume'.  Even though Polis is non-threatening, he would still be a historic choice--he's Jewish, and he's gay.  As a bonus, imagine what a gay, Jewish presence on the ticket would do to Mike Pence and all the pseudo-fascists in the Republican base.  His presence would be a giant invitation for them to openly declare their ugliest tendencies.

No doubt about it.  Polis would be Harris's best choice.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2020, 08:51:25 PM »

Roy Cooper
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 10:07:35 PM »

Roy Cooper, Southerner.

Polis has baggage that the GOP will use.

Roy Cooper, Sherrod Brown or some white male will be her VP pick.

For balance.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 10:27:23 PM »

Roy Cooper would be 67 on election day 2024, 75 in 2032 when he'd be expected to top the ticket. He's too old to be a viable pick.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 11:43:38 PM »

Roy Cooper would be 67 on election day 2024, 75 in 2032 when he'd be expected to top the ticket. He's too old to be a viable pick.

No offense, but that's odd to hear coming from a Democrat right now.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 11:51:16 PM »

I like Polis far too much for him to ever make it in today's Democratic Party.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 11:56:44 PM »

I swear to god if Polis is the veep I will consider voting GOP (depending on the candidate)
He’s done some good things, but he’s still too libertarian for me.
Roronoa D. Law
Patrick97
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 12:00:21 AM »

Nah if she gets the nomination in 2024 she will pick Casey.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 12:01:50 AM »

Andy Beshear is the perfect "nonthreatening white man" for Harris. A very popular governor of a solidly Republican state, despite governing as a generic D rather than a typical red-state "embarrassed Democrat." A southerner, so he'll help out in the party's "future states" - the combination of Kamala "second coming of Obama" Harris and Beshear's appeal to southern whites/ancestral Dems would be very powerful.

Jason Kander would have been even better if he had won in 2016, but apparently outperforming Clinton by 16 points just wasn't enough. I still blame the Comey letter.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 07:32:50 AM »

Andy Beshear is the perfect "nonthreatening white man" for Harris. A very popular governor of a solidly Republican state, despite governing as a generic D rather than a typical red-state "embarrassed Democrat." A southerner, so he'll help out in the party's "future states" - the combination of Kamala "second coming of Obama" Harris and Beshear's appeal to southern whites/ancestral Dems would be very powerful.

Jason Kander would have been even better if he had won in 2016, but apparently outperforming Clinton by 16 points just wasn't enough. I still blame the Comey letter.

McConnell should be retiring in 2026 (he'll be 84!) and Beshear really needs to run for that open seat.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 07:40:54 AM »

Nah if she gets the nomination in 2024 she will pick Casey.

And put his Senate seat at risk?  His seat is up in 2024, and he can't run for both veep and Senate.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 08:25:59 AM »

Andy Beshear, John Bel Edwards, Roy Cooper, Pete Buttigieg. They all are perfect choices, but Polis isn't
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 09:08:10 AM »

Andy Beshear, John Bel Edwards, Roy Cooper, Pete Buttigieg. They all are perfect choices, but Polis isn't

I already commented on Beshear and Cooper above, but on the other two: Edwards should challenge Kennedy in 2022.  He adds much more as a Senate candidate than as a veep candidate. And Buttigieg remains unqualified for the ticket, especially given the wealth of other, better options.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 09:11:27 AM »

Jared "not sure about innocent until presumed guilty #metoo" Polis is not a conventional safe choice and Cooper would not be too old to be VP (Biden wasn't in 2008, when nominees were expected to be younger than they are now). What makes Polis appealing is that he has been a reasonably ambitious progressive reformer and where he is most safe is in not being too enthusiastic about long-term lockdowns (certain governors have really botched the job here without even cutting death rates that much - see Cuomo, who I still hope will receive the appropriate scrutiny if he ever runs for national office).
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 09:15:29 AM »

McConnell should be retiring in 2026 (he'll be 84!) and Beshear really needs to run for that open seat.

No, that's Rocky Adkins's seat.

I already commented on Beshear and Cooper above, but on the other two: Edwards should challenge Kennedy in 2022.  He adds much more as a Senate candidate than as a veep candidate. And Buttigieg remains unqualified for the ticket, especially given the wealth of other, better options.

wrong Edwards
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 09:29:29 AM »

No, that's Rocky Adkins's seat.

wrong Edwards

Huh  No, I think I mean John Bel Edwards.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 02:28:44 PM »

If President Joe Biden declines to seek reelection and Kamala Harris is the Democratic nominee, I'd actually like to go all in with a female ticket and pick Gretchen Whitmer, assuming she wins a second term in Lansing. She helps in the Midwest, is white, seven years younger than Kamala and has executive experience. Polis is kinda bland aside from being the first openly gay governor. He's not even from a swing state. Other than that, Roy Cooper or Andy Beshear would be decent picks as well, assuming both are reelected. Or Conor Lamb, unless he was just elected senator in 2022.

If Mayor Pete becomes UN Ambassador under President Biden, President Harris should then hire him to be secretary of state rather than vice president.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 07:57:05 PM »

If President Joe Biden declines to seek reelection and Kamala Harris is the Democratic nominee, I'd actually like to go all in with a female ticket and pick Gretchen Whitmer, assuming she wins a second term in Lansing. She helps in the Midwest, is white, seven years younger than Kamala and has executive experience. Polis is kinda bland aside from being the first openly gay governor. He's not even from a swing state. Other than that, Roy Cooper or Andy Beshear would be decent picks as well, assuming both are reelected. Or Conor Lamb, unless he was just elected senator in 2022.

If Mayor Pete becomes UN Ambassador under President Biden, President Harris should then hire him to be secretary of state rather than vice president.

Generally, I think it's a mistake to pick a running mate from a swing state or a red state.  If you're a successful Democrat in North Carolina or Kentucky or wherever, you're much more useful to both the party and the country  if you run for a Senate seat.  Whatever small good Cooper or Beshear might do as the veep nominee would be dwarfed by the massive good they would do making their states' Senate races competitive. 
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 10:04:30 AM »

Are you really sure most voters, except the GOP base, would find Polis to be "non-threatening"? I would think that an openly gay politician might be a little threatening to a segment of the "moderate swing voters."
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2020, 10:48:44 AM »

Who said he had to run in 2032 in his own right?
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2020, 11:14:45 AM »

Are you really sure most voters, except the GOP base, would find Polis to be "non-threatening"? I would think that an openly gay politician might be a little threatening to a segment of the "moderate swing voters."

I think I would have found that more concerning two years ago, but then Polis won Colorado, a super moderate state, quite handily, and his sexual orientation was barely a campaign issue at all.  And looking four years into the future, I can't imagine being gay will matter much to any actually winnable voters. 
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2020, 11:17:40 AM »

That's the whole job of the vice president--be prepared to lead the country and the party if and when the sitting president can no longer do so. 
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2020, 11:32:57 AM »

That's the whole job of the vice president--be prepared to lead the country and the party if and when the sitting president can no longer do so. 

Well, yes. But just because you serve as vice doesn't mean you're obligated to run in an election in your own right afterwards. Go ask Dick Cheney.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2020, 11:49:56 AM »

Well, yes. But just because you serve as vice doesn't mean you're obligated to run in an election in your own right afterwards. Go ask Dick Cheney.

Bush was a Washington novice and Cheney had decades of Washington insider experience and connections, so I can kind of understand how he was a reasonable pick back in 2000.  He was actually prepared to govern in a way that Bush wasn't.  Cooper would bring none of that to a Harris administration--his entire public career has been confined to North Carolina.  Choosing Cooper as a running mate would be an entirely political calculation, and not an especially good one at that.

To be clear, I like Cooper and I hope he continues to hold some future office once his governorship is over.  He's just not a good pick for the national ticket, especially when there are better options out there (Polis!). 
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2020, 12:22:43 PM »

Bush was a Washington novice and Cheney had decades of Washington insider experience and connections, so I can kind of understand how he was a reasonable pick back in 2000.  He was actually prepared to govern in a way that Bush wasn't.  Cooper would bring none of that to a Harris administration--his entire public career has been confined to North Carolina.  Choosing Cooper as a running mate would be an entirely political calculation, and not an especially good one at that.

To be clear, I like Cooper and I hope he continues to hold some future office once his governorship is over.  He's just not a good pick for the national ticket, especially when there are better options out there (Polis!). 

I'd like to point out Biden was picked under the assumption he wouldn't seek the Presidency much like Cheney.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies