HB 26.01 Mask Mandate Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:59:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26.01 Mask Mandate Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: HB 26.01 Mask Mandate Act  (Read 2982 times)
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2020, 11:40:28 PM »

aye!
Gracile
gracile
Moderators
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2020, 01:13:16 AM »

Nay
Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2020, 05:37:12 AM »

Aye
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2020, 10:58:54 AM »

Nay
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2020, 11:30:16 AM »

Nay
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2020, 11:35:58 AM »

A majority of representatives have indicated opposition to the amendment. 24 hours to vote or change your vote.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2020, 11:59:04 AM »

Amendment vote closed.

By a vote of 2-6-0-1, this amendment fails.

Nobody has objected to Sev's amendment, so it is adopted. This is where we currently stand:

Quote from: Current Text
Mask Mandate Act
To mandate the usage of masks nationwide in response to the COVID 19 pandemic

Section 1. Provisions
1. Starting within 5 days after the passage of this bill, all regions receiving federal funding for police departments must institute mandatory usage of masks in the following situations:
   a. In any means of public transport
   b. In any shops, commerce or other public enclosed spaces; except those dedicated to the consumption of food and drinks
   c. Inside cars, if the car is operating as a commercial transportation service, such as a taxi, rideshare, shuttle service, or medical transport
2. People who do not follow this rule shall be fined $200
3. This bill shall not apply to people under the age of 10, nor to anyone with health issues where a doctor has prescribed that the usage of a mask would be negative for the patient's health
    a. A valid doctor's advisory must be present
4. This bill shall automatically sunset on December 31st, 2021; or when the WHO declares the COVID-19 pandemic officially over
5. States may be exempted from having the mask mandate apply within them if they provide a formal request for an exemption to the President and the President accepts this request within 7 days.
6. Effective 14 days from the passage of this bill, all places of business shall be required to display a QR code for the DefeatCoronavirus app at their entrances or reception areas.
    a. Failure to follow this requirement shall result in a penalty per offence of $500 for first-time offenders.

Section 2. Enforcement
1. Regional and local police departments not enforcing this mandate shall have funding withheld.
    a. Except in circumstances where an exemption is granted per Section 1.5
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2020, 12:05:09 PM »

I'm proposing this compromise I reached with Rep. Jessica. I think it's a fair one that still holds repeat offenders to proper account. I encourage other members to speak up sooner rather than later if they see any other issues here.
Mask Mandate Act

Section 1. Provisions
1. Starting within 5 days after the passage of this bill, all regions receiving federal funding for police departments must institute mandatory usage of masks in the following situations:
   b. In any shops, commerce or other public enclosed spaces; except those dedicated to the consumption of food and drinks
   c. Inside cars, if the car is operating as a commercial transportation service, such as a taxi, rideshare, shuttle service, or medical transport
2. People who do not follow this rule shall be fined $100
     a. This fine shall increase to $200 for any subsequent offenses
3. This bill shall not apply to people under the age of 10, nor to anyone with health issues where a doctor has prescribed that the usage of a mask would be negative for the patient's health
4. This bill shall automatically sunset on December 31st, 2021; or when the WHO declares the COVID-19 pandemic officially over
5. States may be exempted from having the mask mandate apply within them if they provide a formal request for an exemption to the President and the President accepts this request within 7 days.
6. Effective 14 days from the passage of this bill, all places of business shall be required to display a QR code for the DefeatCoronavirus app at their entrances or reception areas.
    a. Failure to follow this requirement shall result in a penalty per offence of $500 for first-time offenders.

Section 2. Enforcement
1. Regional and local police departments not enforcing this mandate shall have funding withheld.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2020, 03:29:22 PM »

I'm open to this but we should have a really punitive fine for serial offenders.
Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 12, 2020, 08:07:24 PM »

I'm open to this but we should have a really punitive fine for serial offenders.

I'm proposing this compromise I reached with Rep. Jessica. I think it's a fair one that still holds repeat offenders to proper account. I encourage other members to speak up sooner rather than later if they see any other issues here.

I still think there is a real concern about jurisdiction here. How does this tie into the commerce clause? Otherwise, this Federal crime would only be enforceable on Federal property, which isn't the intent here.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2020, 08:50:58 PM »

I still think there is a real concern about jurisdiction here. How does this tie into the commerce clause? Otherwise, this Federal crime would only be enforceable on Federal property, which isn't the intent here.

Localities are free to not enforce the mandate, but they will not be receiving any federal funding if that's the case.
Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2020, 10:03:36 PM »

Localities are free to not enforce the mandate, but they will not be receiving any federal funding if that's the case.

Local authorities do not enforce Federal laws anyways because they don't have jurisdiction.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2020, 10:11:34 PM »

Isn't this like how the US drinking age laws work? And probably a bunch of other laws too.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2020, 10:27:24 PM »

Isn't this like how the US drinking age laws work? And probably a bunch of other laws too.

This is how an unknowable amount of the US Code functions, as the US Government cannot properly function as a nation otherwise.
Tamika Jackson
beeman
Rookie
United States

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2020, 01:07:39 AM »

This is how an unknowable amount of the US Code functions, as the US Government cannot properly function as a nation otherwise.

When that happened, it concerned a matter of States changing their local laws to a certain age, or their highway traffic funding would be cut.

That is different than actually expecting local police forces to enforce this law or forcing Federal agents to do so without proper jurisdiction.

If you want to make it like the drinking age, then the requirement should be for states/regions to institute a mask mandate or risk losing Federal funding.

However, it sounds like the Administration also does not want to take that route.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2020, 12:33:28 AM »

So...anything else? Or does someone want to move for a final vote?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2020, 12:53:56 AM »

Oh, hang on. Sev's amendment, seeing no objections, is adopted.

Does anyone else have anything to add?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2020, 09:26:13 PM »

Seeing no further additions, I move for a final vote.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: September 21, 2020, 09:39:05 PM »

What is the current version of the bill?
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: September 21, 2020, 09:47:24 PM »

What is the current version of the bill?

Here's where it stands following Sev's latest amendment:

Mask Mandate Act

Section 1. Provisions

Section 2. Enforcement
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2020, 09:54:48 PM »

Final vote is fine by me as long as the President approves.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: September 21, 2020, 09:58:44 PM »

Ok I'm fine with this. I would have liked an even more punitive fine for serial offenders but I doubt that we'll get consensus for that so I'd rather just pass the current version quickly.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2020, 02:07:50 AM »

Right then.

Quote from: Final Text
Mask Mandate Act

Section 1. Provisions

Section 2. Enforcement

A final vote is now open on this bill. Representatives have 72 hours to vote; please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2020, 03:18:53 AM »

Aye.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2020, 07:13:44 AM »