HB 26.01 Mask Mandate Act
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:34:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  HB 26.01 Mask Mandate Act
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: HB 26.01 Mask Mandate Act  (Read 2979 times)
Pericles
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2020, 03:43:38 PM »

The federal government already requires staff in schools to wear masks. Students are required to wear masks where they can't social distance. Remember that high schools-the biggest risk of transmission-are closed until Level 1.

I don't think we should let Laki mess with the good work that the Labor Party has done. Overhauling the bill like this, especially given the author, is bound to be riddled with mistakes. The administration recommends that the amendment be rejected and we then can look at it more constructively once Sev's amendment passes.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2020, 04:55:25 PM »

The federal government already requires staff in schools to wear masks. Students are required to wear masks where they can't social distance. Remember that high schools-the biggest risk of transmission-are closed until Level 1.

I don't think we should let Laki mess with the good work that the Labor Party has done. Overhauling the bill like this, especially given the author, is bound to be riddled with mistakes. The administration recommends that the amendment be rejected and we then can look at it more constructively once Sev's amendment passes.

My amendment has been approved without objection.

Rep. Laki's amendment is considered unfriendly, as is Rep. Jessica's. I urge the Representatives to withdraw these amendments so we can focus on each change separately.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2020, 05:12:12 PM »

Proposing an amendment to strike section 2a from the bill.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2020, 05:21:36 PM »

Proposing an amendment

3. This bill shall not apply to people under the age of 6 10, nor to anyone with health issues where a doctor has prescribed that the usage of a mask would be negative for the patient's health
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2020, 05:22:21 PM »

Proposing an amendment

3. This bill shall not apply to people under the age of 6 10, nor to anyone with health issues where a doctor has prescribed that the usage of a mask would be negative for the patient's health

This amendment has already been proposed and accepted. Smiley
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 05:23:09 PM »

Proposing an amendment

This amendment has already been proposed and accepted. Smiley

Ok, I withdraw my amendment.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2020, 05:24:30 PM »

Quote from: Final Senate Text
SENATE BILL
To provide for a nationwide police on masks to mitigate and reduce the spread of the Covid 19 Pandemic.

Be it Enacted in both Chambers of Congress Assembled,

Mask Mandate Act

To mandate the usage of masks nationwide in response to the COVID 19 pandemic

1. Starting within 5 days after the passage of this bill, all regions receiving federal funding for police departments must institute mandatory usage of masks in the following situations:
   a. In any means of public transport
   b. In any shops, commerce or other public enclosed spaces; except those dedicated to the consumption of food and drinks
   c. Inside cars, if the car is operating as a commercial transportation service, such as a taxi, rideshare, shuttle service, or medical transport
2. People who do not follow this rule shall be fined $200
3. This bill shall not apply to people under the age of 10, nor to anyone with health issues where a doctor has prescribed that the usage of a mask would be negative for the patient's health
    a. A valid doctor's advisory must be present
4. This bill shall automatically sunset on December 31st, 2021; or when the WHO declares the COVID-19 pandemic officially over
5. States may be exempted from having the mask mandate apply within them if they provide a formal request for an exemption to the President and the President accepts this request within 7 days.

Current text, assuming no objections to my recent amendment.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2020, 05:24:31 PM »

Masks should not be mandated in cars. How are you even going to enforce that? People should be allowed to not wear masks in cars even if they have people in the car that do not live in the same household. It's up to the driver to enforce whatever rules they want in their car.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2020, 06:58:05 PM »

Masks should not be mandated in cars. How are you even going to enforce that? People should be allowed to not wear masks in cars even if they have people in the car that do not live in the same household. It's up to the driver to enforce whatever rules they want in their car.

When you get pulled over for another offence (like speeding, or a DUI checkpoint); police can easily check you are wearing a mask or not and add the fine.
Senator-elect Spark
Spark498
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: 0.00

P P P
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2020, 03:01:56 PM »

I still have questions about enforcement. Besides withholding funds, is there anything else we can do to get compliance?
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2020, 07:43:57 PM »

This isn't specifically related to masks, but this bill seems like the best way to do this. So the administration wants to boost usage of our "DefeatCoronavirus" contact tracing app. In New Zealand, businesses are required to display the app's QR code at their entrance or reception. https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/covid-19/423859/deadline-for-businesses-to-display-covid-tracer-qr-code This has boosted the app's usage and so improves their/our contact tracing capabilities. So we should do something similar, I suggest adding this clause.
"Effective 14 days from the passage of this bill, all places of business shall be required to display a QR code for the DefeatCoronavirus app at their entrances or reception areas.
a) Failure to follow this requirement shall result in a penalty per offence of $500 for first-time offenders, and a penalty of up to $1,000 per offence for continued breaches."
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2020, 09:20:48 PM »

Could we get some feedback on these proposals?

I think the President has some good ideas. We really need to get the ball rolling on this.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2020, 09:27:56 PM »

Quote from: Final Senate Text
SENATE BILL
To provide for a nationwide police on masks to mitigate and reduce the spread of the Covid 19 Pandemic.

Be it Enacted in both Chambers of Congress Assembled,

Mask Mandate Act

Section 1. Provisions
1. Starting within 5 days after the passage of this bill, all regions receiving federal funding for police departments must institute mandatory usage of masks in the following situations:
   b. In any shops, commerce or other public enclosed spaces; except those dedicated to the consumption of food and drinks
   c. Inside cars, if the car is operating as a commercial transportation service, such as a taxi, rideshare, shuttle service, or medical transport
2. People who do not follow this rule shall be fined $200
3. This bill shall not apply to people under the age of 10, nor to anyone with health issues where a doctor has prescribed that the usage of a mask would be negative for the patient's health
    a. A valid doctor's advisory must be present
4. This bill shall automatically sunset on December 31st, 2021; or when the WHO declares the COVID-19 pandemic officially over
5. States may be exempted from having the mask mandate apply within them if they provide a formal request for an exemption to the President and the President accepts this request within 7 days.
6. Effective 14 days from the passage of this bill, all places of business shall be required to display a QR code for the DefeatCoronavirus app at their entrances or reception areas.
a) Failure to follow this requirement shall result in a penalty per offence of $500 for first-time offenders.

Section 2. Enforcement
1. Regional and local police departments not enforcing this mandate shall have funding withheld.
a) Except in circumstances where an exemption is granted per Section 1.5

Offering this amendment.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2020, 09:43:10 PM »

I support the amendment. We need stronger promotion of Defeat Coronavirus
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2020, 09:43:25 PM »

I think the President has some good ideas. We really need to get the ball rolling on this.

I'll just say that $200 dollars is too much. I'll support a fine of $50-75  and would still get the same effect without destroying lives. Secondly, I can't support the latest amendments effecting businesses and police.

SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2020, 09:44:53 PM »

I'll just say that $200 dollars is too much. I'll support a fine of $50-75  and would still get the same effect without destroying lives. Secondly, I can't support the latest amendments effecting businesses and police.

Do you have any other ideas on how to compel enforcement of this mandate?
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2020, 09:56:51 PM »

I'll just say that $200 dollars is too much. I'll support a fine of $50-75  and would still get the same effect without destroying lives. Secondly, I can't support the latest amendments effecting businesses and police.

99% of our police departments and nearly 100% of judges will enforce the laws of this congress. I love our legal system and our police. I've got faith in them!  We must be fair and appear to be just to them and the people that we're serving.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2020, 09:58:43 PM »

I'll just say that $200 dollars is too much. I'll support a fine of $50-75  and would still get the same effect without destroying lives. Secondly, I can't support the latest amendments effecting businesses and police.

99% of our police departments and nearly 100% of judges will enforce the laws of this congress. I love our legal system and our police. I've got faith in them!  We must be fair and appear to be just to them and the people that we're serving.
Would you be willing to support a compromise where the fine is $100, but becomes $200 for subsequent offenses?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2020, 10:00:14 PM »

Many police officers have political agendas and we can’t let that risk getting in the way of fighting the virus.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2020, 10:00:20 PM »

Would you be willing to support a compromise where the fine is $100, but becomes $200 for subsequent offenses?

Yes I'll support an $100 fine that becomes $200 with subsequent offenses.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2020, 11:15:13 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2020, 11:20:22 PM by People's Speaker Joseph Cao »

All right. To settle the multiple amendments currently pending:

Since Laki is no longer in the House, and that his amendment is in any case functionally impractical (we're not in a position to reassess this every three months, for one thing), I will remove it from consideration in my capacity as presiding officer.

Jessica's amendment has been declared unfriendly, so we will move to an amendment vote in a minute. Sev's amendment to strike section 2(a) is therefore annulled since section 2(a) technically doesn't exist yet.

Sev's amendment regarding the DefeatCoronavirus app will be adopted within 24 hours of its proposal if nobody objects to it.
Joseph Cao
Rep. Joseph Cao
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2020, 11:18:00 PM »
« Edited: September 09, 2020, 11:21:22 PM by People's Speaker Joseph Cao »

Quote from: Amendment Offered
Mask Mandate Act

1. Starting 30 days after the passage of this bill, all regions receiving federal funding for police departments must institute mandatory usage of masks in the following situations:
   c. Inside cars, if the people in the car do not live in the same household
2. People who do not follow this rule shall be fined $200 $10.
a. Subsequent offenses shall increase by $10 for each violation
4. This bill shall automatically sunset on December May 31st, 2021; or when the WHO declares the COVID-19 pandemic officially over

Sponsor: Jessica

Representatives, the question is on adoption of the amendment above.

72 hours to vote – please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2020, 11:18:39 PM »

Nay.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2020, 11:26:14 PM »