S.20.3.1: Election of a Governor (Completed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:10:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.3.1: Election of a Governor (Completed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: S.20.3.1: Election of a Governor (Completed)  (Read 980 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 04, 2020, 04:14:59 PM »
« edited: September 11, 2020, 06:25:23 PM by tmthforu94 »

Article III, Section 5 of the Southern constitution states:
5. Should the office of governor fall vacant at any point during the term, the chief officer of the legislature, or, should none be available, the longest continually-serving available member of the legislature, shall assume the role of acting governor until the legislature can vote to elect a new governor. If the legislature fails to select a new governor within 14 days of the vacancy, the acting governor shall become governor for the remainder of the term and vacate their seat in the legislature. If the acting governor fails to open a vote to elect a new governor within 3 days of the vacancy, any member of the legislature may open a vote.

As Acting Governor, I am opening up a nomination period of 48 hours to start the process. I will also post on the Fantasy Elections board to help increase awareness. Any Southern citizen may run - there are no requirements.

As a voting member of this process, I would also like to personally encourage anyone who is running to state their case on why they would be the best fit, as well as any goals/objections they'd have for the remainder of the term.
Deep Dixieland Senator, Muad'dib (OSR MSR)
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 07:17:22 PM »

...I would also like to personally encourage anyone who is running to state their case on why they would be the best fit, as well as any goals/objections they'd have for the remainder of the term.

I believe I would make a good candidate for governor, as a Southern Patriot with a proven track record of activity and dialogue in the chamber. In the chamber I've had a series of bills with bipartisan support. My last session in the chamber I stepped in to replace the former speaker and received support from both sides of the political divide for that position. The former Governor and I are also in the same regional party and this is a regional position.

I wouldn't be pushing a legislative agenda at this time as I believe I would need a mandate from the electorate before proceeding to do so.

I am happy to expand on the above, should the chamber desire.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2020, 09:02:35 PM »
« Edited: September 04, 2020, 09:16:11 PM by thumb21 »

I think I'll also put myself forward. There are two main criteria I think people should consider when choosing: firstly, are they active and do they have experience; and secondly, how close are they politically to the previous governor whose mandate they will have to fulfill. I have a lot of experience in both Southern and Federal politics, I've maintained a decent level of activity throughout and I put in work to make sure I'm well researched before I talk too much about an issue. Politically I'm reasonably similar to MB and we at least agree on enough things that he trusted me to fill his seat in the chamber. My biggest achievement in the South was providing a major tax cut to people making under $25,000 a year and more support for people on low incomes would be something I'd enthusiastically back as governor.

If I'm elected, my main priority will be to find ways to manage the budget in a way that is both responsible and protects social spending as much as possible. I proposed and we passed the Coronavirus Budgetary Considerations Act to help out here. Much of the stimulus ends in October which means over the next 2 months, Congress will be debating what happens next. I believe I am well placed to negotiate a good deal for the South, with a good working relationship with the President, a place on the Domestic Policy Council (DPC) and my own interest in these issues which I've demonstrated.

To sum up, I think I have a long record of activity, I'm fairly close to MB politically and I believe I'm well placed to stick up for the South's interests.

If anyone has any questions or issues, I'm happy to answer them.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 06:37:04 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2020, 07:46:00 AM by Southern Archivist Punxsutawney Phil »

I am throwing my hat in the ring. I promise to be a steady hand and work with Tmth and others for the good of the region.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 02:51:10 PM »

I will also throw my hat into the ring. As the longest continuously serving member of the Southern Chamber, I believe I have the experience needed to govern the Southern Region and a demonstrated track record of working with a variety of legislators who have varying political views. As I would not have an electoral mandate from the Southern voters, I would not pursue a legislative agenda beyond seeking to ensure that the Southern Region gets through the current COVID-19 pandemic with as minimal loss of life and as minimal long-term economic damage as possible.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 03:59:03 PM »

Well, since we now have 4 candidates, I propose that we elect a Governor via the instant runoff voting (STV) method as that seems to be the fairest. There isn't an exact specification in statue/constitution that specify how the Chamber is to elect a Governor, but seeing as how STV method has been used in past elections regionally and federally for Speakership races and practically everything else, it makes the most sense here as well.

24 hours if anyone objects to using STV, if you do, please state what you think a better alternative would be. Will look to open a vote tomorrow evening for this.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 04:19:11 PM »

No objection.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 05:59:28 PM »

While considering today, I've found myself leaning towards each of the candidates at different points. Each has their strengths, and there is very little of a gap between #1 and #4 in my eyes. However, after careful consideration, I will be casting my vote for Muaddib.

To me, the biggest factors were dedication to the region, activity and being able to work together to make the region stronger. Muaddib has excelled at all of that, and while we have some political differences (heck, he'd probably veto several of the bills I've introduced this cycle) he has always been great in the Chamber at working through differences to find common ground. He even ran and vibed well with Siren in June, someone vastly different than him politically. This just further exemplifies his skills at bringing people together, something important to being Governor. His record of activity has been impeccable. In May, he stepped up to serve as Speaker when the Chamber was in chaos and did a great job. I know he will be a great placeholder for the final two months of this term.

My biggest reservation towards him was his political differences with Governor MB. However, the former governor hadn't proposed any legislative agenda items during this second term, so there is nothing out there that Muaddib could reject/derail mid-session. I appreciate his understanding that this appointment wouldn't give him a legislative mandate, nor would I worry about him doing anything that is vastly different from what The People want, especially considering the composition of the Chamber and safeguards in place regarding Chamber appointments.

Finally, a big sticking point to me is that we've already had a decent chunk of turnover in the Chamber this session, and I'd prefer there not being any more. Muaddib is the only private citizen running, so wouldn't create any additional vacancies in the Chamber.

I urge my fellow delegates to give Muaddib consideration and your first preference.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2020, 03:33:08 PM »

I do not think MB should be replaced with someone of an ideology so drastically different from him. thumb21 has been a great delegate in this session, so I will be casting my vote for him.
diptheriadan

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2020, 04:22:21 PM »

No objection from me either regarding STV.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 09:03:29 PM »

I am opening up a 48 hour vote on this, please rank the following choices:

[ ] Muaddib
[ ] Thumb21
[ ] TimTurner
[ ] Reagente
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 09:04:07 PM »

1. Thumb21
2. TimTurner
3. Reagente
4. Muaddib
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2020, 09:59:07 PM »

1. Muaddib
2. TimTurner
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 02:05:52 AM »

1. Thumb21
2. TimTurner
3. Reagente
4. Muaddib
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 08:34:36 AM »

[1] TimTurner

He's served us great in the chamber all these months. He's a common-sense voice who I think will be a great governor in these chaotic times.

[2] Muaddib

I may feel a different way about his politics, but Muaddib is active and he does care about the people of this region. I also don't think he would dare to do anything crazy without a mandate. If he did, I'd stand opposed to it in every way I can. But again, I don't see him doing it.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 09:41:15 PM »

Changing my vote, I am tired of being bullied and attacked by our president, a fantasy election game isn't worth this level of attacks. I apologize to Muaddib, I still think he would overall be the best choice but I'm tired...I have full confidence that neither Tim or Thumb will resort to the tactics that have been displayed tonight.

1. Tim Turner
2. Thumb21
3. Muaddib
4. Reagente
diptheriadan

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2020, 09:49:47 PM »

I no longer believe this can be called a free election given that their has been obvious meddling from outside the Chamber, and as such I will not be casting a vote. I think the entire process needs to be redone.

Moreso than anything else, the autonomy of the Chamber must be recognized by everyone. From the lowest citizen to the President themselves.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2020, 10:19:34 PM »

I no longer believe this can be called a free election given that their has been obvious meddling from outside the Chamber, and as such I will not be casting a vote. I think the entire process needs to be redone.

Moreso than anything else, the autonomy of the Chamber must be recognized by everyone. From the lowest citizen to the President themselves.

No legislative chamber operates free from outside comment and opinions.
diptheriadan

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2020, 10:24:05 PM »

What you did you tmth was not "outside comments and opinions". It was abuse, plain and simple. Whether tmth changing his vote was the intended effect I don't know and frankly I don't give a damn. 
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2020, 10:58:15 PM »

Just stop talking. It's pretty clear your input on Southern issues does more harm than good.
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 12:06:01 AM »

1. Reagente
2. Muaddib
3. TimTurner
4. Thumb21
Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 12:09:43 AM »

Interestingly if the the President was actually capable and picked an active and competent VP in the first place, this vote to replace the Governor wouldn't have been required. He then wouldn't have felt the need to abuse a former president of good standing for voting ones conscience and undermine the sovereignty of this chamber.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 12:19:30 AM »

Interestingly if the the President was actually capable and picked an active and competent VP in the first place, this vote to replace the Governor wouldn't have been required. He then wouldn't have felt the need to abuse a former president of good standing for voting ones conscience and undermine the sovereignty of this chamber.

1. ?!
2. "voting ones conscience" attacking the will of the people
3. holding legislators to account, as they deserve.

I thought we'd settled the matter, but the Federalists still think they are entitled to be free from criticism and attack for their decisions. That is not how it works anywhere, not in the game and certainly not in any real-life legislature.

Muaddib
Australia

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2020, 12:23:24 AM »

1. ?!

I thought we'd settled the matter, but the Federalists still think they are entitled to be free from criticism and attack for their decisions. That is not how it works anywhere, not in the game and certainly not in any real-life legislature.

Typical Pericles deflection. I'm glad you implicitly admit to being a bully.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2020, 10:40:14 AM »

1. ?!

You threw the F bomb at him amongst other coarse remarks, that isn't a justifiable level of criticism.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies