Mississippi flag vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:15:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mississippi flag vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will it be approved?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Mississippi flag vote  (Read 1407 times)
ChrisMcDanielWasRobbed
KYtrader

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2020, 07:05:57 PM »

I think it will be approved.

https://ballotpedia.org/Mississippi_State_Flag_Referendum_%282020%29
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 07:07:24 PM »

I honestly would not be surprised if it lost. MS is the most racially polarized state in the union.
new_patomic

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 07:10:19 PM »

The appeals to religious conservatives and calling it the "In God We Trust" flag I think will work.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 07:24:51 PM »

I honestly would not be surprised if it lost. MS is the most racially polarized state in the union.

Of course there'll be opposition from all of those die-hard supporters of the old flag, but I feel like they have far fewer numbers than they think they do, so I highly doubt they'll succeed in derailing the progress of this magnolia flag, not least because it's a really good representative for the Magnolia State itself.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 09:21:15 PM »

Well, with Mississippi's polarization and the nature of the issue, "yes" has a floor of about 40% already, so it will only take a few whites crossing over. I think that would have happened anyway, but the "In God We Trust" makes sure of it. I don't like it, but putting it there is a smart move to really make sure the old flag is gone. Probably about 60% Y, or more.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 09:21:28 PM »

What happens if it doesn't get approved? Do they go back to the old flag, or is it back to the drawing board?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 09:25:06 PM »
« Edited: September 03, 2020, 09:30:20 PM by lfromnj »

I would vote no just to cause chaos over a flag lol Tongue but yeah it passes
ChrisMcDanielWasRobbed
KYtrader

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 09:30:09 PM »

What happens if it doesn't get approved? Do they go back to the old flag, or is it back to the drawing board?

The commission designs another flag and another vote is held in November 2021.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 09:38:27 PM »

Well, with Mississippi's polarization and the nature of the issue, "yes" has a floor of about 40% already, so it will only take a few whites crossing over. I think that would have happened anyway, but the "In God We Trust" makes sure of it. I don't like it, but putting it there is a smart move to really make sure the old flag is gone. Probably about 60% Y, or more.

Yeah, it's irritating that this was used as an opportunity to throw religion into the public sphere, but when it's pretty much the only way to convince arch-conservatives to change the flag, then by all means.

The commission designs another flag and another vote is held in November 2021.

And if the people keep saying no, then the commission will just keep restarting the process. All the while, Mississippi would have no official flag.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 04:32:30 AM »

As an amateur vexillogist (I know, I know), I've been following this story for a couple of years now. Laurin Stennis (granddaughter of the senator) first proposed an alternative a few years back, and it went nowhere (the state legislature even voted down a motion to replace the flag).

But after Floyd, the legislature finally saw the light, and we saw some real change.

The final flag isn't my favourite out of the list (and text on a flag is almost always detrimental to the overall design), but it's a damn sight better than what there was.

Mississippi has a lot of problems, but the messaging around the new flag has been fairly good. The invocation of 'in God we Trust' should bring a decent number of the state's conservatives on board with the change, and the simple fact that the flag is being replaced should bring a lot of the state's Democrats on board.

It really would be nice for Mississippi to vote on something in a way that isn't wildly polarised, and this flag could present the first opportunity for a bipartisan win in Mississippi in a while.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 05:13:13 AM »

If it passes, it passes narrowly.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 08:46:09 AM »

I don't necessarily care greatly for the new design, but it will pass easily.  Moderate conservatives, African Americans and White liberals are all going to vote to approve it.  Of course, no one knows exactly how the "campaign" will develop between now and November but the new design passing with >80% of the vote is way likelier than it narrowly passing/losing.     
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 08:50:51 AM »

How does church state separation play into this?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2020, 09:21:05 AM »

How does church state separation play into this?

it doesn't
ChrisMcDanielWasRobbed
KYtrader

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2020, 11:00:58 AM »

It's fine because it doesn't reference a specific religion.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2020, 11:13:36 AM »

No love for atheists (as usual)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2020, 11:22:09 AM »

Yeah, "In God We Trust" is - at the very least - actually pretty vague religious-wise. I can't think of too many organized religions that actively use the phrase as is; at most, patriotic Christians like to include it in everything, but even then, it hardly conforms to any singular sect. If you're being technical, it can conform to literally any monotheistic religion.

The point being that I don't think too many people should feel that it's being preachy or preferential, which is usually the problem with 'religion in government.'
MaconRepublican
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.17, S: 2.34

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2020, 11:37:18 AM »

Great flag and I hope it passes.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2020, 12:48:16 PM »

Probably will pass. Both parties, all churches, all kinds organizations, etc., are pushing for Yes. There's no organized No movement out there.

Most Mississippians are ready to move on from the flag crisis.
ChrisMcDanielWasRobbed
KYtrader

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2020, 01:38:13 PM »

Probably will pass. Both parties, all churches, all kinds organizations, etc., are pushing for Yes. There's no organized No movement out there.

Most Mississippians are ready to move on from the flag crisis.

Cough (Chris Mcdaniel) Cough
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2020, 02:02:49 PM »

It really should, but there are already enough examples of religious phrases (including this one) being on official government stuff.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2020, 02:34:15 PM »

It really should, but there are already enough examples of religious phrases (including this one) being on official government stuff.

Exactly.  The fact that "In God We Trust" is repeated ad naseum on our money and in our national/state mottoes makes the phrase completely devoid of any religious significance.

Having a national/state motto is a secular purpose, and in no way does it inhibit the free exercise of religion.   
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2020, 09:08:03 PM »

Exactly.  The fact that "In God We Trust" is repeated ad naseum on our money and in our national/state mottoes makes the phrase completely devoid of any religious significance.

Having a national/state motto is a secular purpose, and in no way does it inhibit the free exercise of religion.   

My main issue as a vexillology/heraldry nerd is that it makes no sense for the motto of the United States to be on the flag of Mississippi, which has its own motto (Virtute et armis).

Very ironic that people who care so much about Muh States' Rights would want federal government symbolism on their state flag.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2020, 09:41:28 PM »

It appears the design is way too coincidentally similar to the flag of a self-declared microstate ruled by an eccentric Florida Man who styles himself Christopher I Augustus.

https://old.reddit.com/r/vexillology/comments/imrj49/was_told_to_put_this_here_wasnt_sure_what_to_put/

Currvanian Empire

What are the odds the "emperor" or someone who knows him submitted that design?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2020, 09:55:48 PM »

It appears the design is way too coincidentally similar to the flag of a self-declared microstate ruled by an eccentric Florida Man who styles himself Christopher I Augustus.

https://old.reddit.com/r/vexillology/comments/imrj49/was_told_to_put_this_here_wasnt_sure_what_to_put/

Currvanian Empire

What are the odds the "emperor" or someone who knows him submitted that design?

It's the emperor himself who posted that on reddit, & it seems like they just realized it, so gonna go out on a limb here & say no.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies