The Atlantic: Trump called Dead Soldiers “losers”
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 04:36:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The Atlantic: Trump called Dead Soldiers “losers”
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23
Author Topic: The Atlantic: Trump called Dead Soldiers “losers”  (Read 19263 times)
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2020, 07:02:05 PM »

At some point these people have to start coming forward. Majority of the military, especially the upper levels are not fond of Trump. If they come forward they will be protected, if they don't, nothing changes and he still has at least a one in three chance this November.

You could argue that nothing would change either way, based on the past three years or so. 

That's the beauty of the Qanon theory for Drumpf; the more he is denounced by people in military and intelligence the more his staunchest followers assume he's a martyr. He is probably the most genuinely cultish figure in politics since Joseph McCarthy.

I don't know, that Kim Il Sung really did some *damn* fine cult work.  
Mail-order President
Dark Horse

Political Matrix
E: 0.50, S: -3.00

P P P
« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2020, 07:03:26 PM »

More 'anonymous' sources from legacy media. They are the enemy of the people.

"The media is not your friend"
-CNN's Chris Cuomo

These anonymous sources seem credible. This article is a good guide to the topic. There are multiple sources, they are specific claims about a past event. They're not just saying it is "people familiar with Trump's thinking" but someone within a smaller subset of people that would be close to Trump and Kelly and so should be accurate. The denial is mixed, while it does say it is false it also deflects to other issues and doesn't explain why Trump cancelled his visit to the cemetery or why the other specific claims are false. So this story is credible and should be accurate.
Yes. Believe the legacy media, that have been proven to be liars and have ties to the DNC.

They are really going all out with the bs smears this week. Must be worried.

It's a pretty weak argument to just handwave away criticism of your candidate. Plus, Trump is a proven liar himself.
You need to prove your claim. I don't have to prove Trump didn't say that. Anonymous sources are not credible. End of story.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2020, 07:03:57 PM »

At some point these people have to start coming forward. Majority of the military, especially the upper levels are not fond of Trump. If they come forward they will be protected, if they don't, nothing changes and he still has at least a one in three chance this November.

You could argue that nothing would change either way, based on the past three years or so.  

That's the beauty of the Qanon theory for Drumpf; the more he is denounced by people in military and intelligence the more his staunchest followers assume he's a martyr. He is probably the most genuinely cultish figure in politics since Joseph McCarthy.

I don't know, that Kim Il Sung really did some *damn* fine cult work.  

Revised.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2020, 07:05:18 PM »

Good luck trying to argue with people like Sanchez and this guy.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2020, 07:07:04 PM »

Can one of you geniuses who are calling it outright fake news (not just "not sure") explain to me why the Editor-in-Chief of The Atlantic - a pretty decent job - would stake his entire professional reputation on something pulled right out of his ass?

As I've said many times before, there are so many legitimate things to attack Trump on, that there is no need to make anything up. Sometimes the news media, which I fully acknowledge generally has a visceral dislike of Trump, takes unprofessional shortcuts to get anti-Trump stories out, but it's extremely rare for someone to just make sh**t up, especially in this kind of way.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2020, 07:13:35 PM »

-CNN's Chris Cuomo

These anonymous sources seem credible. This article is a good guide to the topic. There are multiple sources, they are specific claims about a past event. They're not just saying it is "people familiar with Trump's thinking" but someone within a smaller subset of people that would be close to Trump and Kelly and so should be accurate. The denial is mixed, while it does say it is false it also deflects to other issues and doesn't explain why Trump cancelled his visit to the cemetery or why the other specific claims are false. So this story is credible and should be accurate.
Yes. Believe the legacy media, that have been proven to be liars and have ties to the DNC.

It's a pretty weak argument to just handwave away criticism of your candidate. Plus, Trump is a proven liar himself.
You need to prove your claim. I don't have to prove Trump didn't say that. Anonymous sources are not credible. End of story.

Innocent until proven guilty is for the courts, not elections. Trump very likely did say this. Beyond this being a very credible report, this is a guy who publicly said that "I like people that weren't captured" to say McCain wasn't a war hero because he was captured. How hard is it to believe he also doesn't regard those who die in war as real war heroes?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2020, 07:15:43 PM »

I'm sure this will help with the military vote he's losing now.

When President Donald Trump canceled a visit to the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery near Paris in 2018, he blamed rain for the last-minute decision, saying that “the helicopter couldn’t fly” and that the Secret Service wouldn’t drive him there. Neither claim was true.

Trump rejected the idea of the visit because he feared his hair would become disheveled in the rain, and because he did not believe it important to honor American war dead, according to four people with firsthand knowledge of the discussion that day. In a conversation with senior staff members on the morning of the scheduled visit, Trump said, “Why should I go to that cemetery? It’s filled with losers.” In a separate conversation on the same trip, Trump referred to the more than 1,800 marines who lost their lives at Belleau Wood as “suckers” for getting killed.

Belleau Wood is a consequential battle in American history, and the ground on which it was fought is venerated by the Marine Corps. America and its allies stopped the German advance toward Paris there in the spring of 1918. But Trump, on that same trip, asked aides, “Who were the good guys in this war?” He also said that he didn’t understand why the United States would intervene on the side of the Allies.

Jesus Christ it's worse than I thought. These comments actually make me sick. McCain was bad enough, but it was nothing compared to this. The guy said something about Trump he didn't like, of course a narcissist like that will lash out by saying the nastiest thing he could about him. But here we have thousands of US soldiers, mostly young men who never got to live their lives because they died serving their country. And Trump calls them "losers" and "suckers" and questions if America was even on the right side. So much for "America first." For a guy who constantly fear-mongers about immigrants being disloyal and unpatriotic, sure as hell sounds like Trump identifies more with his German heritage than America.

Never mind he's also a f--king coward (which is why he sees service and courage as values only befitting "suckers") who isn't fit to stand on the ground where those troops are buried, so I guess it's for the best he didn't go to the cemetery.

I honestly have nothing but absolute loathing and contempt for any so-called "American" who reads this and still votes for Trump. Let alone has the audacity to claim they do it because they're patriots. And cannot understand for the life of me how any who serve or their families could.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2020, 07:16:21 PM »

Can one of you geniuses who are calling it outright fake news (not just "not sure") explain to me why the Editor-in-Chief of The Atlantic - a pretty decent job - would stake his entire professional reputation on something pulled right out of his ass?

As I've said many times before, there are so many legitimate things to attack Trump on, that there is no need to make anything up. Sometimes the news media, which I fully acknowledge generally has a visceral dislike of Trump, takes unprofessional shortcuts to get anti-Trump stories out, but it's extremely rare for someone to just make sh**t up, especially in this kind of way.

Basically this. You have to ask yourself is it more likely that
  • this writer and publication just totally made this up, which would be one of the biggest scandals in US journalism history and forever end their careers, and probably sink the Atlantic too
  • Trump said something that is consistent with previous remarks about the military

Nothing's 100%, but it's clear that the latter is much more believable if you take off the partisan blinders.
Mail-order President
Dark Horse

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2020, 07:17:55 PM »

-CNN's Chris Cuomo

Innocent until proven guilty is for the courts, not elections. Trump very likely did say this. Beyond this being a very credible report, this is a guy who publicly said that "I like people that weren't captured" to say McCain wasn't a war hero because he was captured. How hard is it to believe he also doesn't regard those who die in war as real war heroes?
To be clear, if there was a similar article for anyone else with anonymous sources I wouldn't believe it.

Trump has shown nothing but respect to the troops. McCain attacked him first, and being a 'war hero' doesn't put you above criticism. Also, telling the enemy all of our secrets as McCain did, makes him much less than a war hero. And you still have not shown any evidence.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2020, 07:20:05 PM »

-CNN's Chris Cuomo

To be clear, if there was a similar article for anyone else with anonymous sources I wouldn't believe it.

Trump has shown nothing but respect to the troops. McCain attacked him first, and being a 'war hero' doesn't put you above criticism. Also, telling the enemy all of our secrets as McCain did, makes him much less than a war hero. And you still have not shown any evidence.

Once again, do you really think the Atlantic would make up a story like this and risk not just their reputation but their careers and entire business. If so, why?
Mail-order President
Dark Horse

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2020, 07:20:49 PM »

-CNN's Chris Cuomo

Once again, do you really think the Atlantic would make up a story like this and risk not just their reputation but their careers and entire business. If so, why?
The legacy media has shown countless times they don't care about being truthful or reputable.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #61 on: September 03, 2020, 07:21:05 PM »

-CNN's Chris Cuomo

Why? I am not obligated to use a "reasonable doubt" standard of proof on whether I believe this article or not. I can see the preponderance of evidence strongly favors that he did it.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #62 on: September 03, 2020, 07:21:14 PM »

Yes, his views of combat are clearly very Hollywood and Darwinian.

Successful soldiers: Basically the equivalent of action film stars who take out a hundred of the enemy with one shot.

Dead soldiers: Chumps who deserved it for being weak.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #63 on: September 03, 2020, 07:21:45 PM »

-CNN's Chris Cuomo

I'm pretty sure 'Songbird McCain' is another disgusting myth/lie.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #64 on: September 03, 2020, 07:22:14 PM »

There's a long thread on this on USGD: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=392515.0
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: September 03, 2020, 07:23:34 PM »

This is beyond the pale. You're as disgusting as Trump.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2020, 07:24:15 PM »

I'm disappointed that this elicited a yawn from me. It's completely expected and realistic of Trump to say this. Not only is it a non-story to me but to the rest of America too probably-it most likely won't get more than a day's coverage. Biden, Democrats, and other Trump opponents shouldn't let anyone forget this though. The party of  jingoistic, symbolic faux-patriotism needs to be held accountable as the hypocrites they are.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2020, 07:24:52 PM »

-CNN's Chris Cuomo

The legacy media has shown countless times they don't care about being truthful or reputable.

It’s one thing to make up a minor story, but something as serious as this? No one in their right mind would do so. It’s much more likely that Trump, who has shown time and again he doesn’t give a rat’s ass about people who have served this country, said this stuff then a bunch of journalists potentially ruining their entire publication just to get on the nightly news.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2020, 07:26:38 PM »

Trump has shown more respect to neo-Nazis than the US military. Look at how he treated the generals who advised him, and what they all think of him now. If he thinks so little of the most experienced officers, think of how poorly he regards junior officers and enlisted soldiers?
Mail-order President
Dark Horse

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2020, 07:27:10 PM »

Double standard by the red avatars here. You need mountains of evidence to show Biden is declining mentally, but a legacy media article with anonymous sources are enough for your confirmation bias.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: September 03, 2020, 07:28:42 PM »

But seriously, every time I think he can't sink any lower...
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2020, 07:32:03 PM »

-CNN's Chris Cuomo

Just admit it. You’d defend Trump no matter what.
Just admit it. You'd defend Biden even if he had an aneurysm during the debates.

I mean, an aneurysm wouldn't be Biden's fault, per se.  But that's getting off-topic here. 
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2020, 07:35:10 PM »

The thing that pisses me off the most is not that Trump is a coward who would s--t his pants if he ever got in combat, not that he ever would because he'd run away as fast he could on his bone spur feet at the first sign of trouble. Obviously military service isn't for everybody. Hell I'm not sure even I have it in me to face combat, so I'm not even judging him for that really.

No, what really pisses me off is that he has the AUDACITY to call those who did serve "losers" and "suckers" because they fought and either died, were captured, or wounded. It's one thing to not want to serve, and it's one thing to criticize those who did if you did yourself. But if you didn't serve because you're a f--king coward and sociopath who sees no value in anything in life that doesn't directly benefit you, you have absolutely NO right to criticize those who did something you'd never have the guts to do yourself. Who the f--k does Trump thing he is, calling Bush a loser like that? As if he would ever in a million years be able to fly a plane over enemy territory, much less be the sole survivor of captivity. Who does he think he is to criticize those who were drafted and DIDN'T dodge it, young men whose lives were cut short in their prime serving this country?

It makes my blood boil, and if anyone reads this and STILL votes for the man, you lose the right to call yourself an "American." Period. It was bad enough when he was "just" a Russian asset. Now he's an unpatriotic, anti-American scumbag who apparently wishes the Germans had won. Absolutely SICK.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #73 on: September 03, 2020, 07:35:40 PM »

That tweet aged well.

Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2020, 07:37:04 PM »

Double standard by the red avatars here. You need mountains of evidence to show Biden is declining mentally, but a legacy media article with anonymous sources are enough for your confirmation bias.

Let me guess: You believe QAnon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies