Cultural Signifiers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:27:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Cultural Signifiers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Cultural Signifiers  (Read 1610 times)
Tiger08
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2020, 12:51:25 PM »

In the MA-Sen race thread I asked if Markey-Kennedy race was a proxy for the divide between the current left-of-center zeitgeist (Markey) versus moderate or more traditional Democrats (Kennedy). I mentioned Dave Wasserman's use of "Whole Foods" voters as a useful cultural signifier (even though he does overuse it) for upper-middle- and upper-class moderate-to-progressive voters. I also saw "Peloton moms" somewhere for the same group. In a different election, I remember reading about how Ed Gillespie specifically targeted Buffalo Wild Wings for R-leaning independents when he ran for Senate in 2014.

I'm interested in political data analysis and was wondering what other brands or other national, regional, or local institutions (maybe a sports team) serve as cultural signifiers for different groups of voters or just an important part of local or regional identity. For  middle- to upper-middle-class white right-of-center Southerners, brands like Chick-fil-A, Academy Sports and Outdoors, and Publix came to mind. Correct me if I'm wrong. Not intending to amplify the current culture war in which EVERYTHING is politicized and we don't have much in common, just want to analyze and learn about it. Maybe this belongs in a different board, but figured that this might be an interesting topic.
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 07:44:02 PM »

In 2008, there was a lot of talk about Clinton winning "beer track" voters and Obama winning "wine track" voters. That leads me to crack the joke that Sanders' 2020 constituency was mainly composed of kombucha track voters.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 12:00:26 AM »

In 2008, there was a lot of talk about Clinton winning "beer track" voters and Obama winning "wine track" voters. That leads me to crack the joke that Sanders' 2020 constituency was mainly composed of kombucha track voters.

I hate political analysts so, so much.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 02:00:53 PM »

I wonder who won the spirits track voters.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 06:39:58 AM »

I think listening it certain kinds of music is a dead giveaway. For an obvious example, Sleater-Kinney’s fans are almost always left-leaning due to their politics and Carrie’s preferences towards women. The fact they are from the Pacific Northwest doubles down on this. Their fans tend to also be people who like other female indie musicians, middle to upper class, white, female, and often LGBTQ. Sleater-Kinney is also pro choice as well and supports black lives matter.   
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 06:41:46 AM »

I think listening it certain kinds of music is a dead giveaway. For an obvious example, Sleater-Kinney’s fans are almost always left-leaning due to their politics and Carrie’s preferences towards women. The fact they are from the Pacific Northwest doubles down on this. Their fans tend to also be people who like other female indie musicians, middle to upper class, white, female, and often LGBTQ. Sleater-Kinney is also pro choice as well and supports black lives matter.   

Literally who the hell is Sleater-Kinney
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 08:16:58 AM »

Seriously?
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 08:21:22 AM »

Seriously?

I checked the name on Google after writing that, but I literally have never heard "Sleater-Kinney" anywhere else in my life.

(by the way, I am not sure musical acts are necessarily cultural signifiers, for example plenty of left-leaning people listen to Kanye)
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 08:28:11 AM »

Seriously?

I checked the name on Google after writing that, but I literally have never heard "Sleater-Kinney" anywhere else in my life.

(by the way, I am not sure musical acts are necessarily cultural signifiers, for example plenty of left-leaning people listen to Kanye)

I was kind of joking about Sleater-Kinney. They’re not exactly a household name but neither are they particularly obscure, but I understand that someone like yourself who (correct me if I’m wrong) is more into metal and prog hasn’t heard of them.

As to music, I think it can have some correlation to political views. Hip-hop suggests more liberal views, or at least more pro-Democrat, as the listener base is African-Americans and younger whites. Similarly alt rock/indie also leans left and country right. Classic rock is harder to pin down; it is most popular among white male boomers (a generally Republican group), but it does enjoy very wide and ubiqitous popularity.

Obviously it is lazy to assume someone’s political views based off of musical tastes and there are loads of exceptions, but there are some implications to be made both from demographics of listeners and the general attitude/philosophy of the music.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 08:42:38 AM »

Seriously?

I was kind of joking about Sleater-Kinney. They’re not exactly a household name but neither are they particularly obscure, but I understand that someone like yourself who (correct me if I’m wrong) is more into metal and prog hasn’t heard of them.

As to music, I think it can have some correlation to political views. Hip-hop suggests more liberal views, or at least more pro-Democrat, as the listener base is African-Americans and younger whites. Similarly alt rock/indie also leans left and country right. Classic rock is harder to pin down; it is most popular among white male boomers (a generally Republican group), but it does enjoy very wide and ubiqitous popularity.

Obviously it is lazy to assume someone’s political views based off of musical tastes and there are loads of exceptions, but there are some implications to be made both from demographics of listeners and the general attitude/philosophy of the music.

I think your analysis is correct.

In any case I am not actually into metal, I just have a massive Metallica crush. I am more into prog rock, though.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2020, 08:51:44 AM »

Seriously?

I think your analysis is correct.

In any case I am not actually into metal, I just have a massive Metallica crush. I am more into prog rock, though.

For music, the conservative equivalent is obviously country, especially since it's not just listened to in the South anymore.

For brands, I agree with Chick-fil-A as a proxy for the group that OP stated.  Living in perhaps the epicenter of those types of voters, you would be amazed at how long the lines at Chick-fil-A get (they often back up traffic on nearby streets).  Another cultural signifier I would add on the right is college football.  There's a reason that Trump has taken such an aggressive stance in favor of college football being played.  It might not get as much attention, but college football's fanbase is basically just as conservative as NASCAR's or golf's.

https://www.businessinsider.com/politics-sports-you-like-2013-3
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2020, 08:58:20 AM »

For music, the conservative equivalent is obviously country, especially since it's not just listened to in the South anymore.

For brands, I agree with Chick-fil-A as a proxy for the group that OP stated.  Living in perhaps the epicenter of those types of voters, you would be amazed at how long the lines at Chick-fil-A get (they often back up traffic on nearby streets).  Another cultural signifier I would add on the right is college football.  There's a reason that Trump has taken such an aggressive stance in favor of college football being played.  It might not get as much attention, but college football's fanbase is basically just as conservative as NASCAR's or golf's.

Isn't Cracker Barrel a big culinary cultural signifier for White Southerners as well?
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 09:06:36 AM »

Isn't Cracker Barrel a big culinary cultural signifier for White Southerners as well?

It can be, although it's more of a generic white Southerner cultural signifier than the more specific group that the OP noted.  I'd even say that Cracker Barrel has more of a presence in the rural South than the suburban South (though we do have one near me).  There was an interesting, albeit outdated, piece on the divide between places with a Cracker Barrel and a Whole Foods.  I think there are now a lot more places with both of them though, so it's not quite as relevant.

Waffle House and Sonic are also examples, though they may just be partisan-leaning as a result of being regional.
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2020, 11:05:11 AM »

I am from an epicenter of those kids of voters as well and can relate to the long Chick-fil-A lines. Their drive thrus are also shockingly efficient. Good point about college football. Most of the top CFB viewership markets are in the South or adjacent to the South (with the exception of some Ohio markets). There are lots of Chick fil A and Academy Sports ads during college football games as well.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2020, 12:56:02 PM »

Cracker Barrel vs. Whole Foods is maybe the most commonly talked about cultural signifier among chains. Sports is a good one too; fans of soccer or the NBA tend to be left-leaning, while fans of college football, NASCAR, or golf fans tend to be right-leaning.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2020, 01:16:26 PM »

Throw in full electric and you probably have a good cultural indicator.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2020, 03:06:37 PM »

Cracker Barrel vs. Whole Foods is maybe the most commonly talked about cultural signifier among chains.

What about those of us who have never been in either of these places in their life?
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2020, 03:15:09 PM »

It can be, although it's more of a generic white Southerner cultural signifier than the more specific group that the OP noted.  I'd even say that Cracker Barrel has more of a presence in the rural South than the suburban South (though we do have one near me).  There was an interesting, albeit outdated, piece on the divide between places with a Cracker Barrel and a Whole Foods.  I think there are now a lot more places with both of them though, so it's not quite as relevant.

Waffle House and Sonic are also examples, though they may just be partisan-leaning as a result of being regional.

I can buy Cracker Barrel vs. Whole Foods, but pretty much all of the other things discussed here are just too broadly popular with most Americans to automatically determine their political views.  There's a surprising number of conservative rock stars and liberal country stars out there. 
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2020, 03:40:46 PM »

Cracker Barrel vs. Whole Foods is maybe the most commonly talked about cultural signifier among chains.

What about those of us who have never been in either of these places in their life?

There is a word for that (and I think you know it very well): communitarians.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2020, 05:21:47 PM »

I like Cracker Barrel and Whole Foods.

Does that make me a cross-pressured voter?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2020, 10:51:38 PM »

All of these "cultural signifiers" seem to only apply to White people (Whole Foods are noticeably absent from minority areas) which may be problematic since, under the current alignment, the Democrats' national electorate is probably minority-majority
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2020, 11:34:29 PM »

Commies.  Though I dislike both I've been to them like a good capitalist..
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2020, 01:52:30 AM »
« Edited: September 07, 2020, 09:42:22 AM by 𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆 »

All of these "cultural signifiers" seem to only apply to White people (Whole Foods are noticeably absent from minority areas) which may be problematic since, under the current alignment, the Democrats' national electorate is probably minority-majority

Good observation. Although the Democratic electorate is likely closer to 55% or 60% White.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2020, 02:23:23 AM »

Yes, because your party is so racist and nativist that nearly everyone else self-selects out of it by default.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2020, 03:09:12 AM »

Yes, because your party is so racist and nativist that nearly everyone else self-selects out of it by default.

Can we not?

This is worse than Fuzzy Bear shouting BLM out of context.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies