2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:26:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread  (Read 166616 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« on: October 16, 2020, 06:06:34 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 12:17:44 PM »

Is this more Target Smart crap?

Maybe, but also Biden kinda did triage the state basically
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 01:11:45 PM »

Mods please delete this as it is entirely misleading and outright false. OSR mindlessly posted something that is blatantly false and has no basis in reality. The person who posted this tweet is a Trump cultist who has no credibility and no sources on any of this.

Ok I’ll delete it
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 12:11:43 PM »

Forgetting the party registration the age numbers so far indicates good news for the GOP in Texas while the gender numbers indicates good news for the Dems .

The age numbers I would say are better news for the GOP than the gender numbers are for the Dems
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 07:26:08 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2020, 07:31:19 PM by Old School Republican »

Yup, Dems need to pack the court. 5 out of 9 justices are anti-democracy

the PA law states that ballots must at the very least be postmarked by election day and the Governor changed that.

https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/governor-wolf-signs-election-reform-bill-including-new-mail-in-voting/

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 07:31:50 PM »

the PA law states that ballots must be received by election day and the Governor changed that.

https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/governor-wolf-signs-election-reform-bill-including-new-mail-in-voting/

And the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled that it was okay because of the pandemic. Shows that the majority of the court doesn't care about Federalism.

Its the legislature that decides rules not the freakin unelected courts . This shows exactly why we need a conservative court cause liberal justices believe the courts should be super legislatures
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 07:36:09 PM »

John Roberts disappointed me with that decision, as the constitution clearly states the state legislature is whom decides rules yet he sided with a court that overrides the decision of the state legislature
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 07:53:39 PM »

There seems to be confusion as to what SCOTUS can do here, which isn't much.  Even if the rule was stayed it was unlikely to be struck down.  The US Constitution gives the Federal Government the right to preempt the state governments if it has a specific power enumerated to it.  The state government, through its various branches can determine its own laws and rules as long as they aren't preempted.  The PA Supreme Court has the final say on violations of the STATE constitution.  The Federal Gov. can't preempt in this situation.  

Did the PA court rule this law as unconstitutional or did they just unilaterally  just amend it

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 07:56:02 PM »

the PA law states that ballots must be received by election day and the Governor changed that.

And the Pennsylvania Supreme Court ruled that it was okay because of the pandemic. Shows that the majority of the court doesn't care about Federalism.

Its the legislature that decides rules not the freakin unelected courts . This shows exactly why we need a conservative court cause liberal justices believe the courts should be super legislatures

Lol this court is elected

The Constitution clearly states the state legislature is what is supposed to decide the rules not the  judicial branch in the states.

John Roberts really disappointed me cause I thought he was a strict constructionist

You don't seem to understand how checks and balances work.

Yes I do and the powers by each branch is set by the constitution and the PA supreme court violated the US constitution here.

Here is the clause:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress; but no Senator or Representative, or person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States shall be appointed an Elector

https://constitutioncenter.org/interactive-constitution/amendment/amendment-x

Tenth Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

PA can decide it's own rules, this is settled law.

Except the Constitution states the state legislatures are the ones who set the rules period. If they didnt state that then the argument would make more sense

This is nonsensical.  So under your theory the state legislature (on its own) can make rules/laws even though their own state constitutions require that a Governor enact them into law?  And that they be constitutional?  This isn't a serious argument.

The governor signed this bill into law lol : https://www.governor.pa.gov/newsroom/governor-wolf-signs-election-reform-bill-including-new-mail-in-voting/
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 07:56:47 PM »

So essentially OSR seems to be arguing a state legislature should be unchecked. Because when you think that the state Supreme Court reaffirming a executive order by a governor to extended absentee ballots on the reasonable grounds of we are in the middle of a pandemic that the legislature hasn’t done solely for partisan/undemocratic reasons are the ones out of line then you are essentially calling for the state legislature to be have the power to rig out democracy to their liking

Correct, he supports the dictatorship of the gerrymandered state legislature.

The Governor signed the bill in question into law lol
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2020, 07:58:10 PM »

There seems to be confusion as to what SCOTUS can do here, which isn't much.  Even if the rule was stayed it was unlikely to be struck down.  The US Constitution gives the Federal Government the right to preempt the state governments if it has a specific power enumerated to it.  The state government, through its various branches can determine its own laws and rules as long as they aren't preempted.  The PA Supreme Court has the final say on violations of the STATE constitution.  The Federal Gov. can't preempt in this situation.  

Did the PA court rule this law as unconstitutional or did they just unilaterally  just amend it

They can interpret it how they please.  Your link proves my point though.  The governor must sign a law.  Your convoluted theory of the US constitution seems to imply that the legislature has unilateral power without any checks from the Governor or the Courts.  This is settled Federal case law.  

Anyways, it was a ridiculous legal argument that would have never won even if it got a stay.  Lets not get this thread off topic.

Of course the governor has to sign it into law lol and yes the courts can rule a law unconstitutional  but that is not what they did here and instead just unilaterally amended it
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 07:58:57 PM »

So essentially OSR seems to be arguing a state legislature should be unchecked. Because when you think that the state Supreme Court reaffirming a executive order by a governor to extended absentee ballots on the reasonable grounds of we are in the middle of a pandemic that the legislature hasn’t done solely for partisan/undemocratic reasons are the ones out of line then you are essentially calling for the state legislature to be have the power to rig our democracy to their liking

Ok clarified my point in my last post
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 08:15:45 PM »

Lol this court is elected

The Constitution clearly states the state legislature is what is supposed to decide the rules not the  judicial branch in the states.

John Roberts really disappointed me cause I thought he was a strict constructionist

You don't seem to understand how checks and balances work.

Yes I do and the powers by each branch is set by the constitution and the PA supreme court violated the US constitution here.

Here is the clause:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress; but no Senator or Representative, or person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States shall be appointed an Elector

First, that clause is explicitly about choosing electors to the electoral college, I'm not sure what your point of posting it is relating to ballot deadlines.

Second, why are you upset about this but didn't make a several page stink when Trump violated the constitution and intentionally undermined the postal service, making these deadline changes necessary in the first place?

Huh,  Im sure I did call Trump out for that
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 08:26:27 PM »

Yeah, I don't see this as a bad day for Florida Democrats at all, given what's still out. They're going to win the day and add to their lead even with the mail-in ballot delay.

Given their mail in vote lead doesnt the GOP need to lead with early in voting to win the state
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2020, 04:39:55 PM »

Is this true

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 11:51:55 PM »

I do know some things about Texas politics, fwiw, and you might have remembered me from threads in 2014 or 2016 or 2018 (maybe further back than that!) pouring cold water on "Texas is going blue" ideas. I freely admit that until, like, the last two weeks of 2018 I wasn't taking Beto O'Rourke as seriously as I should've been, but eventually came pretty close to nailing the margin (I had Cruz by 4 at the end, still underestimating Beto but not by a lot).

I'm saying that to say that anyone who isn't taking the prospect of Biden winning Texas this time seriously as a real possibility is not "a spoilsport" or a "pessimist" or something. You're actually just flat out wrong. Trump might well pull off Texas, but if he does, it'll be by the absolute skin of his teeth on a 7 or 8 point swing against him. Trump winning Texas by, like, 5+ points is just not going to happen and you're living under a rock and completely ignorant of what's going on in Texas if you aren't seeing what's happening here.

I think we all missed the obvious signs for Texas.

Changing demographics?  Check
Large cities and big suburbs?  Check
Educated population?  Check
In-migration from blue states?  Check

I think people think of Texas as a rural state but it's a lot more urban than a state like Michigan or even North Carolina.

Romney did better relatively in Texas than any Republican in history other than George W Bush though.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 11:54:21 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2020, 11:57:42 PM by Old School Republican »

If Texas does flip blue it would ugh be almost like a bookend to the Reagan era. Texas became a Republican state in 1980 and during the Republican Revolution and turns back Dem right as the Reagan coalition collapses

Thats the reason why I dont want Texas to flip as I want Reaganites to still be in charge of the GOP (obviously revamped for the 2020s though) and Texas flipping would mark the end of that too.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies