2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:18:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 120
Author Topic: 2020 Absentee/Early Voting thread  (Read 167474 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2020, 04:05:57 PM »

What?  Something seems off.  They said only 1500 voted in Fairfax on day 1, by far the largest jurisdiction, with huge lines.  Either that's wrong or the 34,000 number is off.  Hard to believe both are correct.

I haven't seen a county breakdown on the VA website and the 34,000 is possibly for two days and may not even include all counties.  As for Fairfax, they apparently only ran one room the first day and added a second room to expedite things the second. 

The 34,000 number is apparently right (not sure about 1 day or 2) because it's now on VPAP.org which is usually extremely reliable.  Maybe the Fairfax number floating around twitter was off.  I found it odd that it would be that low.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2020, 04:08:31 PM »

What?  Something seems off.  They said only 1500 voted in Fairfax on day 1, by far the largest jurisdiction, with huge lines.  Either that's wrong or the 34,000 number is off.  Hard to believe both are correct.

I haven't seen a county breakdown on the VA website and the 34,000 is possibly for two days and may not even include all counties.  As for Fairfax, they apparently only ran one room the first day and added a second room to expedite things the second. 

The 34,000 number is apparently right (not sure about 1 day or 2) because it's now on VPAP.org which is usually extremely reliable.  Maybe the Fairfax number floating around twitter was off.  I found it odd that it would be that low.

That's where I saw the number too, and it says the Va Dep of elections is the source, but I can't find anything on their page that gives a daily or a county/city breakdown. 
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2020, 04:20:10 PM »

That's where I saw the number too, and it says the Va Dep of elections is the source, but I can't find anything on their page that gives a daily or a county/city breakdown. 

I checked too.  I just saw a graphic that had totals by congressional district.  The Northern Virginia districts clearly had the largest shares but it's unclear if that is early voting or early voting + absentee.  It's also not surprising as the 3 Northern Virginia districts are significantly more populated than the other districts due to population growth since the last census.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #203 on: September 21, 2020, 08:03:09 AM »

it is done

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #204 on: September 21, 2020, 09:22:03 AM »

Interesting.

Is Biden ranked 1st because Hilldog won the county in 2016 ?

And assuming Howie Hawkins is not on the ballot, it means his lawsuit in Indiana has failed.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #205 on: September 21, 2020, 10:58:36 AM »

My God! Here is the first bunch of returned absentee ballots from Madison, WI over the weekend.

DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2020, 11:02:09 AM »

I checked too.  I just saw a graphic that had totals by congressional district.  The Northern Virginia districts clearly had the largest shares but it's unclear if that is early voting or early voting + absentee.  It's also not surprising as the 3 Northern Virginia districts are significantly more populated than the other districts due to population growth since the last census.
Vpap is a nice source but God they love their graphics, which is annoying when a simple table will do
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2020, 11:05:32 AM »

My God! Here is the first bunch of returned absentee ballots from Madison, WI over the weekend.

I'm almost certain mine is in there. Smiley
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #208 on: September 21, 2020, 11:20:43 AM »

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2020, 12:03:04 PM »

Vpap is a nice source but God they love their graphics, which is annoying when a simple table will do

Yes they are over the top with them.  The thing they are best for is precinct level maps.  You can go to Northern Virginia for instance, and zoom really far in and see vote totals at the precinct level in a very easy manner. 
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2020, 12:53:42 PM »

This is good news right? That means that they got them back relatively fast?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2020, 01:27:19 PM »

It means the ballots got put in the mail last Tuesday, got to the voter, the voter completed it, mailed it back, and it got back to the clerk's office today.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2020, 01:28:50 PM »

It means the ballots got put in the mail last Tuesday, got to the voter, the voter completed it, mailed it back, and it got back to the clerk's office today.

Yeah, there was analysis going around that the USPS VBM issues would mostly affect rural more than suburban or urban voters, since the latter already live close to processing centers and clerks, so the delay would be minimal.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2020, 01:30:26 PM »

Yeah, there was analysis going around that the USPS VBM issues would mostly affect rural more than suburban or urban voters, since the latter already live close to processing centers and clerks, so the delay would be minimal.

I know a lot of post offices do direct sends to clerks offices. Cottage Grove, where I'm from originally, will take ballots straight from the post office to the Village Hall, rather than have it go to Milwaukee to get processed.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2020, 01:50:32 PM »

The Pennsylvania secrecy ballot stuff is worrying.  The letter says 6% of ballots were rejected in previous elections for this reason alone, and that a higher share will be rejected this time around since there are more first-time voters.

If half of PA votes by mail and the VBM share is 70% D, 30% R, and 10% of ballots are rejected, that is a 2% swing in Trump's favor.  That could easily be enough to decide the election.

Hopefully the Biden campaign is ready to absolutely spam the airwaves with instructions on how to vote properly in Pennsylvania.  Get some hashtags going on social media as well.  Get celebrities to show the kiddies how to vote.  Send out physical media and put up billboards in the cities.

And make sure to not tell the rurals... they voted for these Republicans who actively want to disenfranchise voters, so it's only fair for them to be the first group disenfranchised.
compucomp

« Reply #215 on: September 21, 2020, 02:10:58 PM »

The Pennsylvania secrecy ballot stuff is worrying.  The letter says 6% of ballots were rejected in previous elections for this reason alone, and that a higher share will be rejected this time around since there are more first-time voters.

If half of PA votes by mail and the VBM share is 70% D, 30% R, and 10% of ballots are rejected, that is a 2% swing in Trump's favor.  That could easily be enough to decide the election.

Hopefully the Biden campaign is ready to absolutely spam the airwaves with instructions on how to vote properly in Pennsylvania.  Get some hashtags going on social media as well.  Get celebrities to show the kiddies how to vote.  Send out physical media and put up billboards in the cities.

And make sure to not tell the rurals... they voted for these Republicans who actively want to disenfranchise voters, so it's only fair for them to be the first group disenfranchised.

I think we should keep some facts in mind before jumping to the conclusion that this is yet another nefarious Republican plot to steal the election:

• The PA Supreme Court is 5-2 Dem and upheld the secrecy envelope requirement.
  • The secrecy envelope is included in the mail ballot materials (see https://www.phillymag.com/news/2020/05/14/pennsylvania-mail-in-ballot-instructions/)
  • Biden/the DNC/Mike Bloomberg/whoever is free to run ads reminding people that this is a requirement. Lisa Murkowski was able to get a plurality of Alaskan voters to write her in and spell her name correctly. It can't be that hard to get people to put a mail-in ballot in two envelopes.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #216 on: September 21, 2020, 02:11:03 PM »

IDK, I get that there were a good amount, but I voted by mail for the first time this year and it was NOT hard at all to do the whole thing. So if someone really can't figure out the ballot... like I don't wish for their vote not to be counted but c'mon man. It's not hard to figure it out.
Rep Jessica
Jessica
United States

« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2020, 02:38:13 PM »

SInce most democrats live in the city and suburban areas you'd think this would favor democrats and be bad for republicans.
kph14
Germany

« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2020, 02:40:15 PM »

I think we should keep some facts in mind before jumping to the conclusion that this is yet another nefarious Republican plot to steal the election:

• The secrecy envelope is included in the mail ballot materials (see https://www.phillymag.com/news/2020/05/14/pennsylvania-mail-in-ballot-instructions/)
  • Biden/the DNC/Mike Bloomberg/whoever is free to run ads reminding people that this is a requirement. Lisa Murkowski was able to get a plurality of Alaskan voters to write her in and spell her name correctly. It can't be that hard to get people to put a mail-in ballot in two envelopes.

Why is there no fat "Put your ballot in here before you return it" on the secrecy envelope? Pennsylvania is setting up its voters to fail here. It just says "Official Election Ballot"
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2020, 03:47:06 PM »

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2020, 04:27:50 PM »

Has Pennsylvania any mechanism in place for voters to rectify any mistakes that could result in rejection of their mail ballots?
compucomp

« Reply #221 on: September 21, 2020, 04:28:17 PM »

The Pennsylvania secrecy ballot stuff is worrying.  The letter says 6% of ballots were rejected in previous elections for this reason alone, and that a higher share will be rejected this time around since there are more first-time voters.

If half of PA votes by mail and the VBM share is 70% D, 30% R, and 10% of ballots are rejected, that is a 2% swing in Trump's favor.  That could easily be enough to decide the election.

Hopefully the Biden campaign is ready to absolutely spam the airwaves with instructions on how to vote properly in Pennsylvania.  Get some hashtags going on social media as well.  Get celebrities to show the kiddies how to vote.  Send out physical media and put up billboards in the cities.

Why is there no fat "Put your ballot in here before you return it" on the secrecy envelope? Pennsylvania is setting up its voters to fail here. It just says "Official Election Ballot"

I think that would be a common-sense, easy to implement solution, and it should be non-controversial. PA Secretary of State is a Democrat. But knowing how R's roll, they might sue the PA election commission to stop that.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2020, 04:30:13 PM »

my sample ballot got available starting today, I'll vote within the next month, every democrat, and then no on all the propositions

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2020, 04:47:47 PM »

Dude, come on. It's common sense here. Why would they send you the ballot with an envelope that says Official Election Ballot  if they didn't want you to put it in there?
American2020
Côte d'Ivoire

« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2020, 05:45:18 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 120  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies