Midterm Game Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:57:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Midterm Game Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Which type of game do you prefer and which year?
Simulated presidential election and subsequent midterm with national PAC's, etc. and multiple districts to choose from (My original idea)

Midterm and subsequent played presidential election with national PAC's, etc. and multiple districts to choose from (NYE's idea)

Pick a single CD and have everyone run it (Del Tachi's idea, if this is picked we'll also need a vote on CD, based on the year that was picked)

2022 (simulated 2020)

Other year, please specify below

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 11

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Midterm Game Thread  (Read 5009 times)
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2020, 11:42:21 AM »

Can I run as Doug Jones against Bob Riley?

Granted
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2020, 12:10:07 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2020, 02:00:07 PM by Rep. FalterinArc »

Former U.S Attorney Doug Jones announces bid for governor
May 11, 2005

Yesterday, former United States Attorney for the Northern District of Alabama Doug Jones announced he will take on incumbent Alabama governor Bob Riley in the gubernatorial election next November. Riley narrowly unseated incumbent governor Don Siegelman in 2002. Siegelman is also attempting a comeback as governor but may be hampered by his 2004 indictment, although the charges were eventually dropped. Also running in the Dmocratic primary is Lucy Baxley, the incumbent Lieutenant Governor. Jones is perhaps best known for prosecuting the Birmingham church bombers. He describes himself as a moderate but we will see if that will be enough to pull off an upset in this heavily Republican state.
Credit: Wikimedia Commons url=https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Doug_Jones_(politician)_in_2002#/media/File:Doug_Jones_Cherry_Trial_(cropped).jpg
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2020, 12:17:14 PM »

Can we get county results for internal polling?
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2020, 12:34:26 PM »

Can I still get in on this? If so, I'll challenge Lieberman with (former) Connecticut Senate Minority Leader John McKinney, R-Fairfield. 

On a personal note, I actually know this guy through CT state-wide politics.  Was a volunteer for him when he ran for governor.  Good guy!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2020, 12:50:24 PM »

Can we get county results for internal polling?

That'll be tough, because I'm not that good with county politics, but if you ask me for specific counties, I'll try my best

Can I still get in on this? If so, I'll challenge Lieberman with (former) Connecticut Senate Minority Leader John McKinney, R-Fairfield. 

On a personal note, I actually know this guy through CT state-wide politics.  Was a volunteer for him when he ran for governor.  Good guy!

Granted
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2020, 01:17:14 PM »

Also one note, I may update the rules periodically, if I or a player finds that the rules were too broad or general. Also note: you may now have an alternative method of getting internal polls, which is spending $10,000 per each poll question that you wish to ask (while I feel that no one will use the credits now), I did think it was odd that it costs the same to poll as it does to get a Governor's endorsement, so I decided to fix that. Also regarding endorsements, please note if you would like the endorsement of a politician that is being played by someone else in the game that does not require any credits.

(Please check the rules periodically, as I am not perfect, and I may have to make some adjustments to make the game flow better)
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2020, 02:50:59 PM »

Sen. George Allen (R-VA) announces 2006 re-election bid

Today, Republican Senator from Virginia, George Allen, announced he would seek another term. Allen was elected in 2000, narrowly defeating incumbent Democratic Sen. Chuck Robb. Sen. Allen is a potential Republican presidential candidate, if re-elected.

Senator Allen's press release also said that he plans on working hard to campaign and fundraise for whoever the Republican nominee for Governor is, as well as campaigning for State Senate and House of Delegates candidates to keep the General Assembly in Republican hands.

It's expected that Senator Allen will also make visits to early primary/caucus states such as Iowa and South Carolina.

Image from Wikimedia Commons
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2020, 04:03:08 PM »

Schedule for Hillary Clinton, Part Two

August 1-7, 2005

Upstate Barnstorming tour, From Buffalo to Albany, New York

August 8, 2005

Fundraiser for Anthony Weiner's Mayoral Campaign, Red Hook, Brooklyn, New York ($1,000 a head for a Q&A session with Weiner and Clinton)

August 9-15, 2005

Senate Duties, Washington D.C

August 16, 2005

Rally on behalf of Doug Jones, Bryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Alabama needs Doug Jones. He has the political courage to do what is right, rather than what is easy. When other members of the Justice Department said that you couldn't prosecute Klansmen for bombing a church in Birmingham and killing four little girls, Doug Jones did it anyways, and he got convictions. His opponents? Don Siegelman was indicted for fraud, and remains under investigation for bribery. Lucy Baxley? Great person, but not what Alabama needs right now. And then there's Republican Primary. Let's look at the candidates there, shall we? We have Roy Moore, who apparently doesn't believe in the separation of Church and State considering a run, and we have the incumbent, Bob Riley, who basically fits the definition of "Generic Republican". There's literally nothing about him that stands out at all.

Doug Jones has the courage to bring Alabama into the future, and the presence of mind to do what's best for Alabama. Vote for Doug Jones, and you won't be disappointed.

August 17-18, 2005

August 19, 2005

Attend New York Yankees game @ Chicago White Sox, U.S Cellular Field, Chicago, Illinois

August 20, 2005

Rally on behalf of Tim Kaine, Norfolk Scope, Norfolk, Virginia

So, I've been watching the Governor's race here in Virginia, and all I've got to say is, what Jerry Kilgore, do you have to hide? No self respecting politician should be trying to avoid a debate, so why are you refusing to debate Tim Kaine? Are you scared of Kaine?

August 21-25

Barnstorming Tour, From New York City, to Buffalo

August 26, 2005

Rally on behalf on Jon Corzine, Cape May, New Jersey

Look, I may not be an expert on New Jersey law, but it seems a little fishy to me that when the law states that insurance companies, or people with a majority interest in an insurance company cannot donate to a campaign, and then Doug Forrester, who has an insurance company in Washington D.C is donating all this money to his campaign... it seems like a clear violation of the law, right?

August 27, 2005

Interview with the San Francisco Chronicle, San Francisco, California

Senators are being slow to take sides in the Senate race here in California. Do you have a preference on who should win?

My preference is avoiding a bloody primary. Ideally one of Senator Feinstein, or DA Harris would run for Governor, or in Harris's case Lieutenant Governor, and win that office. However, we don't live in an ideal world, unfortunately, and I'm well aware that I'll have to pick sides eventually.

So, do you have a preference?

Well, it is worth noting that right now, we have seven Senators out of a hundred who are not Caucasian, in Pete Domenici, Daniel Inyoue, Daniel Akaka, Ken Salazar, John Sunnunu, Mel Martinez and Barack Obama. That's not a very good ratio. My husband wanted to make the executive and judicial branches look more like America. Is it wrong for me to want to make the United States Senate look more like America?

So you'll be backing Kamala Harris in the primary.

I suppose you could say that.

August 28, 2005

Fundraisers for own campaign/possible 2008 run, Chappaqua, New York.

August 29, 2005

Fundraiser for Bernie Sanders, Brattlebro Country Club (Green fees are paid for by Clinton advance team. $50 dollars gets a round of golf. $75 gets a round of golf and dinner with Hillary  Clinton and PGA Tour Professional Jose Maria Olazabal)

August 30, 2005

August 31, 2005

Inspect damage from Hurricane Katrina, Biloxi, Mississippi (with Thad Cochran, Trent Lott, Haley Barbour and A.J Holloway)

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2020, 02:29:26 PM »

I'm working on Doug Jones' schedule, but I was wondering how many points it will take to get an endorsement from Artur Davis and if we always start with two million at the beginning of our term or can we save money from the prior turn?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2020, 05:50:05 PM »

I'm working on Doug Jones' schedule, but I was wondering how many points it will take to get an endorsement from Artur Davis and if we always start with two million at the beginning of our term or can we save money from the prior turn?

It will cost 2 and yes funds are transferable.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2020, 08:44:14 PM »

Sanders Running For Senate as Democrat

[credit: Vermont Woman]

Bernie Sanders has officially announced his intention to run for the US Senate as a Democrat, following him officially registering with the party days ago. This has been broadly seen as more or less inevitable as a result.

In a recent interview, he spoke favourably of San Francisco District Attorney Kamala Harris, citing her recent establishment of an environmental crimes unit at her office, and her firm opposition to the death penalty.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2020, 09:40:51 PM »

One more question before I post. Can I list a debate in my schedule or do I have to receive a confirmation the Non-player candidates accepted?
VirginiaAaron
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2020, 12:29:25 PM »

August Schedule for Sen. Allen

August 1-5- Door-knock and barnstorm for VA GOP gubernatorial nominee Jerry Kilgore in Virginia Beach, Prince William, Lynchburg, and other swing counties/cities.

August 6- Interview on Meet the Press with Tim Russert

I am not considering running for president at this time, it's far too early for me to even begin considering running for president. When the time comes by 2007, my family and I will take a hard look at it and we'll make a decision at a later time. Right now, my focus is on Virginia. I'm focusing on helping making my good friend Jerry Kilgore the next Governor of Virginia. This is a turning point for our commonwealth. We've got a decision between someone who has advocated for late-term abortions in Virginia and someone who has spent their entire life advocating for our 2nd Amendment, low taxes for hard-working Virginians, and keeping the moral fabric of our commonwealth and our nation. I hope all Virginians see that and vote for the right option, Jerry Kilgore.

August 7-13- Continue crisscrossing Virginia, barnstorming and campaigning for House of Delegates and State Senate candidates, as well as for the Kilgore campaign

August 14- Fundraiser for 2006 Senate campaign in Fairfax, VA

August 15-20- Take a break from campaigning with family at home in D.C.

August 21-31 Continue barnstorming, knocking doors, and making calls for Jerry Kilgore and other local GOP candidates

Image from Wikimedia Commons
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2020, 01:51:36 PM »

One more question before I post. Can I list a debate in my schedule or do I have to receive a confirmation the Non-player candidates accepted?

You need confirmation for a debate, but I'm sure both Baxley and Siegelman plan on debating anyways
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2020, 01:58:28 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2020, 01:20:05 AM by Rep. FalterinArc »

Doug Jones schedule:
May 12: Campaign launch in Montgomery
May 13-16: Go door to door with press and shake hands with voters in Montgomery
May 17-20: Conduct interviews with various local radio stations
Excerpt form May 18 interview with local NPR statio
Host: Mr. Jones what do you bring to the race that Governor Siegelman and Lieutenant Governor Baxley don't?
Jones: I bring a lot of conviction. I haven't been a politician all my life. I'm just a man who wants to do his best for the people of Alabama
Host: Our state of course, is very deep Republican one. Do you really think you can defeat Governor Riley next November?
Jones: I certainly believe I can. Bob Riley barely won last time. Now the people have seen how he has failed as a leader and I can be a uniter. I don't look at our state and see divisions, I see an opportunity for unity.
Host: Well thank you for coming on Mr. Jones.
Jones: Thank you.
May 21: Spend 500,000 $ to run a thirty second ad letting voters know who Doug Jones is and emphasizing prosecuting the Birmingham bomber
May 22-June 3: Barnstorm across Southwest Alabama including Mobile
June 4: Spend two credits to recieve an endorsement from Artur Davis
June 5: Host a fundraiser in Selma with Artur Davis to raise money for the Jones campaign and for Alabama Democrats.
June 6: Hold town hall in Selma to discuss local issues
June 7: Use 250,000 $ to run ads in Davis's district highlighting his endorsement
June 8-22: Heavily campaign in Davis's district
June 23-June 30: take a one week break from campaigning in person
July 4: Host a barbecue in Hunstville as a chance to meet face-to-face with voters
July 5-30: Barnstorm in various locations across the state.
July 31: Visit Steel mill in Fairfield, Alabama with press and emphasize how ather worked at steel mill.
August 1: Spend 60,000$ to receive a three way-poll between Siegelman, Baxley and Jones. My second and third question will be to get a race and gender breakdown of the polling. The final three questions will be head to head polling with Riley with the three different Democratic candidates.
August 2: Meet with young voters at Auburn University to discuss my plans for Alabama's future.
August 3-14: Barnstorm across the whole state to spread word of the upcoming rally in Tuscaloosa
August 16: rally with Senator Hillary Clinton in Tuscaloosa
Excerpt from rally
We are truly building a uniting coalition. I am truly honored to have the support of the entire Alabama congressional delegation and from Senator Clinton. I've always been very gracious to her and her family. When President Clinton appointed me attorney he saw that I am a strong advocate for the disadvantaged in our society. That I truly believe that helping our fellow neighbor is an Alabama value. I am grateful that he trusted my judgement 8 years ago and I'll hope you'll do the same.
August 17:Hold fundraiser in Tuscaloosa with 100$ entry fee.
August 18-25: Take a one week break from campaigning person
August 26: Challenge Baxley and Siegelman to a debate in September
August 27-30: Temporarily suspend campaigning due to Hurricane Katrina
August 30: Meet with Hurricane Katrina victims with my fellow primary candidates to show unity
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2020, 02:34:21 PM »

Schedule for Tom Souzzi

March/May 2005

Do not file for reelection as Nassau County Executive

August 1, 2005

File for Governor of New York/Announce campaign, Roosevelt Field, Garden City, New York

August 2, 2005

Meet Voters, Wyckoff Heights, Brooklyn/Queens, New York

Meet Voters, Windsor Terrace, Brooklyn, New York

Interfaith roundtable, Brooklyn College

August 3-7

Attend to duties as Nassau County Executive

August 8, 2005

Attend New York Yankees game vs Chicago White Sox at Yankee Stadium

August 9, 2005

Meet Voters in Bronxville, New York

Meet Voters in Mount Kisco, New York

August 10-14

August 15, 2005

Meet Voters in Bethpage, New York

Meet Voters in Bohemia, New York

August 16-19

August 20-31

Family Vacation, Curacao.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2020, 02:36:38 PM »

OOC: If I control Hillary Clinton, do I get to control Bill Clinton as well?

It's not like he'd be running for anything else...
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2020, 02:40:47 PM »

OOC: If I control Hillary Clinton, do I get to control Bill Clinton as well?

It's not like he'd be running for anything else...

No, you don't, though he can appear with her at events, if you'd like, but that's about it, also goes without saying but his endorsement is also free for Clinton, if she wants it.
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2020, 02:41:04 PM »

Can I claim Baron Hill as well?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2020, 07:49:58 PM »

Granted, though the turn deadline is still the same for your new character
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2020, 09:23:22 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2020, 11:05:38 AM by KaiserDave »

Can I take Jim Douglas?
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2020, 10:27:49 AM »

Granted, but remember to put up your turn soon
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2020, 11:28:45 AM »
« Edited: September 10, 2020, 11:36:24 AM by KaiserDave »

Wikimedia Commons

Vermont Governor Announces Senate Campaign

Vermont Republican Governor Jim Douglas had earlier announced he wouldn't seek another term was Governor, but today confirmed what many had suspected, that he will be making a run for the open Senate seat vacated by Jim Jeffords. Douglas, a moderate Republican who has become very popular in Vermont for his pragmatic, almost liberal approach to governing, and his One-Nation, progressive conservatism in comparison to the Christian conservatism of President Bush and Senator Lott.

Jim Douglas announced his campaign on a brisk spring morning in April in Middlebury, in the town which is centered around his alma matter. He declared that, "Washington has for too long failed too many people. Partisan bickering has turned politics into a shouting match, big money has pushed out the voices of citizens and farmers, and pivoting to extremes becomes expedient. Senator Jeffords has been a light in the dark, providing an example of practical, people first, country first, party second leadership. I hope to continue his record of fighting for the people of Vermont, it's for that reason I've filed to run for the Republican nomination for United States Senate."

Jim Douglas has begun meeting with Republican county chairs and limited campaign activities.

Summer 2005 Schedule

All items are interspersed between day to day Governing duties, all unmentioned days are rest or day to day governing duties

June
June 7-17: Meeting with Republican chapters in each county
June 21-25: Meeting with Republican voters and top donors in each county
July
July 6-13: Town Halls in every county
July 15: Campaign Launch in Barre with State Senator Phil Scott
July 19-25: Meeting with Republican chapters in each county
August
August 10-15: Town Halls in each county
August 22-27: Meeting with top GOP donors and officials

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2020, 11:32:57 AM »

On second thought, I'll just stick with Doug Jones. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2020, 10:42:18 AM »

On second thought, I'll just stick with Doug Jones. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

Ok

Also I’m going to push the turn end back to Monday, I’ve been slow in responding to PM’s and a lot of people don’t have their turns in yet, I will be PM’ing people reminders tonight.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies