Who will be the 2024 Republican Presidential nominee (Post RNC edition)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:15:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Who will be the 2024 Republican Presidential nominee (Post RNC edition)?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Who will be the 2024 Republican nominee for President?
Donald Trump

Donald Trump Jr.

Mike Pence

Nikki Haley

Mitt Romney

Sarah Palin

Tim Scott

Mike Pompeo

Charlie Baker

Larry Hogan

Marco Rubio

Ron DeSantis

Rick Scott

Greg Abbott

Josh Hawley

Rob Portman

Other (please state who)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Who will be the 2024 Republican Presidential nominee (Post RNC edition)?  (Read 3728 times)
LabourJersey
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2020, 02:38:10 PM »

Really surprised that a plurality think Pence is the most likely nominee. His instinct to appear both to the Trumpists while also being a "kinder, gentler" conservative isn't convincing to either side, in my opinion anyway. Personally I think the only politician I've seen manage to appeal to both the hardcore Trumpers and the 2004-2012 GOP voters is probably Rick Scott. 

He also has literally no charisma, and if there's one thing I learned from Trump winning the nomination in '16 is that GOP voters want a guy with some charisma who loves to get them the conservative-nationalist red meat.

Cotton and Hawley have zero charisma, which makes me skeptical they'd win.

I think it needs to be said again that these are 90% the exact same people...

Very good point. I guess I'll amend this and say the two factions are the hardline, Trump-can-do-n-wrong types, and Republicans who have some issues with Trump but voted for him because they didn't like Clinton or dislike the left more than anything.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2020, 07:30:09 PM »

I think Paul Ryan would have a good shot at the nomination if he were to run.

Edit:  Expanding on this...Ryan has a very high level of name recognition compared to many of the other potential candidates.  He bailed out of Congress at the right time--disappearing before impeachment, Covid, etc.  But, he was there to get the Trump tax cuts through, Republicans' only really legislative "win" of the last decade.  And while no one would ever call Ryan charismatic, he certainly has more charm than Cotton, Hawley, et. al. 

If I had to rank the top three Republicans I think are most likely to get the 2024 nomination, I'd say
1.  Pence
2.  Cruz
3.  Ryan

Is...this a joke post?

Trump's win was a complete and total refutation of Ryan's brand of politics. There's zero chance the GOP will ever go back to Ryanism for a long time.
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2020, 11:42:13 PM »

Edit:  Expanding on this...Ryan has a very high level of name recognition compared to many of the other potential candidates.  He bailed out of Congress at the right time--disappearing before impeachment, Covid, etc.  But, he was there to get the Trump tax cuts through, Republicans' only really legislative "win" of the last decade.  And while no one would ever call Ryan charismatic, he certainly has more charm than Cotton, Hawley, et. al. 

If I had to rank the top three Republicans I think are most likely to get the 2024 nomination, I'd say
1.  Pence
2.  Cruz
3.  Ryan

Is...this a joke post?

Trump's win was a complete and total refutation of Ryan's brand of politics. There's zero chance the GOP will ever go back to Ryanism for a long time.

I'm not sure why you think that.  What is "Ryanism," exactly?  Hypocritical, opportunistic deficit scolding?  A fanatical obsession with cutting taxes for the rich, destroying the social safety net, and empowering corporations to abuse their workers and poison our water and air?  Reactionary extremism filtered through condescending smugness?  That all sounds like the present and future of the GOP to me.  I mean, come on.  Ryan was Trump's number one enabler for his first two years in office.  What's the difference between "Ryanism" and "Trumpism"?
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2020, 11:49:43 PM »

1.  Pence
2.  Cruz
3.  Ryan

Is...this a joke post?

I'm not sure why you think that.  What is "Ryanism," exactly?  Hypocritical, opportunistic deficit scolding?  A fanatical obsession with cutting taxes for the rich, destroying the social safety net, and empowering corporations to abuse their workers and poison our water and air?  Reactionary extremism filtered through condescending smugness?  That all sounds like the present and future of the GOP to me.  I mean, come on.  Ryan was Trump's number one enabler for his first two years in office.  What's the difference between "Ryanism" and "Trumpism"?

Aesthetics mostly, and it's fair to say that the genie is out of the bottle in that regard. 
Heebie Jeebie
jeb_arlo
United States

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2020, 12:04:51 AM »

1.  Pence
2.  Cruz
3.  Ryan

Is...this a joke post?

Aesthetics mostly, and it's fair to say that the genie is out of the bottle in that regard. 

Yeah, but his "aesthetics" have been terrible for the party, and for himself.  Trump has polled miserably throughout his entire time in office, despite inheriting three years of peace and prosperity.  Republicans were hammered in the 2018 midterms because Trump was an anchor around their throats.  Cultural polarization pressures a lot of conservatives to give him their support, but most Republicans are on the whole decent people who are rightfully embarrassed by him.  Don't forget that Trump only won 45% of the vote in the 2016 Republican primaries.  Trump's base of deplorables are loud, but they're a minority. 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2020, 01:46:59 PM »

1.  Pence
2.  Cruz
3.  Ryan

Is...this a joke post?

Not really at all ... maybe his demeanor.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2020, 02:01:46 PM »

1.  Pence
2.  Cruz
3.  Ryan

Is...this a joke post?

Not really at all ... maybe his demeanor.

Demeanor and Aesthetics matter a lot in politics. Has been for a long time.

I'm not suggesting that the GOP will actually protect social security or increase the welfare state or anything like that. But Paul Ryan's manner of politics was to be a clean-cut man who politely would try to cut the welfare state, and talk about the policies meant to cut the welfare state.

Trump's victory made it clear that the GOP doesn't care about policy; they care about culture and their anger regarding culture. A guy like Ryan wouldn't win in that environment because it's clear he wants to talk about policy and whatnot over culture red meat.

I guess I was a little too strong calling the suggestion a joke, but I think it's kind of clear that Ryan was done with electoral politics, at least for a long time. And also I don't think he's popular with many swing voters who remember 2012 (and a non-insignificant part of the Trump coalition included 2012 swing voters)
ShadowRocket
cb48026

« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2020, 11:46:34 AM »

Pence seems the most likely to me regardless of whether or not Trump is reelected.  Haley looks strong on paper but color me skeptical that today's GOP would nominate a woman.

Depending on how popular Biden is, I could see many of the younger names like Cotton and Desantis waiting until 2028, with the 2024 primary being a last hurrah for the likes of Pence, Haley, Cruz, etc.
ChrisMcDanielWasRobbed
KYtrader

« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2020, 11:49:32 AM »

It WILL be John James if he wins this year. No iffs, ands, or butts about it.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2020, 12:03:08 PM »

Well, he's not going to win.
ChrisMcDanielWasRobbed
KYtrader

« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2020, 12:04:31 PM »

Well, he's not going to win.

He will win.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2020, 02:38:01 PM »

I'll bet you any amount of money that Gary Peters wins the Senate race.
Pennsylvania Deplorable

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2020, 03:47:18 PM »

Ron DeSantis is the strongest candidate as of right now. He's a popular governor of a crucial swing state with a good economic record. This makes him electable nationally (assuming he wins reelection in 2022).

At the same time, his conservative/populist credentials are solid. He banned sanctuary cities and tried to get e-verify. He nipped looting in the bud by promising swift prosecution of rioters. He's built up name recognition and should have no trouble fundraising. My only real beef with him is the blatantly unconstitutional anti-BDS legislation he passed, but that seems to be par for the course with both party establishments.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2020, 03:56:41 PM »

Ron DeSantis is the strongest candidate as of right now. He's a popular governor of a crucial swing state with a good economic record. This makes him electable nationally (assuming he wins reelection in 2022).

lol
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies