Who will be the 2024 Republican Presidential nominee (Post RNC edition)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:13:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Who will be the 2024 Republican Presidential nominee (Post RNC edition)?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Who will be the 2024 Republican nominee for President?
Donald Trump

Donald Trump Jr.

Mike Pence

Nikki Haley

Mitt Romney

Sarah Palin

Tim Scott

Mike Pompeo

Charlie Baker

Larry Hogan

Marco Rubio

Ron DeSantis

Rick Scott

Greg Abbott

Josh Hawley

Rob Portman

Other (please state who)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 76

Author Topic: Who will be the 2024 Republican Presidential nominee (Post RNC edition)?  (Read 3764 times)
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2020, 09:42:47 PM »

With the Republican National Convention over, who will be the 2024 Republican nominee for President?
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 09:48:26 PM »

I don't know, but hopefully Trump and Junior are both in jail without access to computers or smartphones.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 09:50:32 PM »

Whoever "Q" endorses.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 10:29:30 PM »

If Trump wins: Mike Pence or Donald Trump Jr.

If Trump loses: Donald Trump, Mike Pence, or Donald Trump Jr.
OSR STANDS WITH PALESTINE
NOTTYLER
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 11:50:50 AM »

As much as I don’t want this. It’s gonna be Pence
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 12:05:36 PM »

Probably Pence, he loses either way.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 02:01:44 PM »

Minnesota Governor Mike Lindell
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 02:14:16 PM »

^ I’m not so unrealistic to be hoping for things like a Charlie Baker nomination, haha ... and I’d LOVE a Haley/Scott ticket.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 02:52:39 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2020, 02:56:54 PM by Chad Wolf's minivan rentals »

If Junior runs, I expect him to get the nomination, unfortunately.

If not, I think there are 5 people with a reasonable chance of getting the nomination. Those are, in no particular order:
Mike Pence
Nikki Haley
Ron DeSantis
Tim Scott
Tom Cotton

Pence, as the former VP, should have an inside track, but there are major electability issues with him. I don't see it happening, though he'd be a great president.
Haley seems to see herself as some sort of GOP savior, and she'd probably do very well in the suburbs, but she doesn't seem to have a firm set of principles apart from self promotion. She's probably the odds on favorite for the nomination at this point.
Ron DeSantis would be the clear frontrunner if not for Florida's death toll. However, when the dust settles, I expect him to come through relatively unscathed. He's my choice for 2024, and still the second most likely nominee, after Haley. He's got the educational pedigree, military experience, and congressional and gubernatorial experience.
Tim Scott seems to be showing up all over the place these days. He's charismatic, he's got a great story, he's obviously got solid policy chops, but he doesn't have much of a resume to be on the top of a presidential ticket. Bachelors degree from a mediocre college, no executive or military experience. Good VP pick maybe, but he'd be better off running for governor first, or as VP. Two terms in the senate doesn't qualify someone to be president without something else to bolster their resume.
Tom Cotton wants the job more than anyone, and he's the most Trump-like on this list. He's got the educational pedigree (Harvard Law) and military leadership experience (though his is less notable than DeSantis), but like Scott, he's never run anything larger than an Army platoon.

I think Pence has a solid chance at the nomination if Trump won, but I concur that he'd fare poorly in a general.  It will still be somewhat competitive, though as there is no shortage of people who want the job (2016 reduxs plus Pompeo)

If Trump loses, then the field is wide open.  As far as Nikki Haley is concerned-I changed my former position that I used to hold that she was a very strong candidate, and here's why: She shares the same flaw that Cruz and Crenshaw have-their policy and rhetoric is a regression to the pro-corporate movement conservatism that predates Trump, and all 3 pols I've mentioned speak in vague platitudes that you'd find on The Daily Wire, and don't really appeal outside that Tea Party base- It just seems so artificial.  I'm doubtful that any of them will build on/continue the policy changes that the Trump admin actually made, although Haley is nowhere near the worst candidate the GOP can put up. But she has to embrace the policy changes that Trump has began for me to trust both her political judgement and loyalty to the base.  Crenshaw simply wont and Cruz is far too ideological.

Other candidates have more potential because they have a particular niche- Tim Scott has criminal justice reform, Cotton has military/law and order, Hawley has market-skepticism/nationalism etc...

DeSantis and Rubio seem best poised to bridge the gap between the establishment GOP and the Trumpists, while doing alright in the suburbs.  They both understand that the party has to evolve policy wise (but slowly enough to not scare away the National Review/Wine Cave Conservatives), but Rubio's approval is severely damaged.  I could even see him losing or not running for a third term.  Ronny also has to dedicate all of his time to restoring his image and winning re-election, and he knows it- If he loses, he's a non starter for the nomination.

Even so I still think Rubio, DeSantis, and Hawley (who I'm closest to ideologically) are my top choices for the nomination.  Haley has the potential to become a pretty strong candidate (and conveniently avoids the issues the Florida men face) but she must take bold policy stances and moderate somewhat.

I could see potential for Joni Ernst or Tim Scott, but I haven't seen enough of them (esp. Ernst) to form that strong of an opinion.  Although Pompeo has been a great SOS I don't think he, nor Pence or Cotton are great candidates.  Anyone who already gave it a shot in 2016 will probably have a rough time, and no, Junior and Ivanka aren't happening.

Mail-order President
Dark Horse

Political Matrix
E: 0.50, S: -3.00

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 03:07:48 PM »

Tucker
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 03:17:09 PM »

Pence or Cotton, the national party will want Haley, but she won't make it through the Deep South primaries
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 03:21:54 PM »

^ I’m not so unrealistic to be hoping for things like a Charlie Baker nomination, haha ... and I’d LOVE a Haley/Scott ticket.

Wouldnt work as they are both from the same state
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 03:35:57 PM »

Laughably early guess which will likely end up being laughably wrong: Rick Scott (although I’d prefer Tim Scott) or Ron DeSantis, which isn’t going to hurt given how important (winning back/holding) FL will be for Republicans in 2024. Not ruling out a Trump comeback or a Hawley/Carlson upset, though. I maintain that Haley, Cotton, and Pence are overrated.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 03:52:09 PM »

Trueeeeee.  Damn.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 03:54:10 PM »

Trueeeeee.  Damn.

Well there is always Rubio then who can be either Haley's or Scott's vp
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 03:56:56 PM »

Trueeeeee.  Damn.

Well there is always Rubio then who can be either Haley's or Scott's vp

Eh, I voted for Rubio to stop the absolute dipshlt we ended up nominating, but I’m no fan of his; he’s just not overly impressive to me.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 04:00:46 PM »

Pence.

Also, I am very confident Trump Jr. has no chance, regardless of who wins in 2020.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2020, 07:12:41 PM »

Haley and Tim Scott are the only two I can see bridging the divide between enough of the old guard of the GOP and enough of Trump's base, which means the Democrats might be screwed if one of them or someone like them gets nominated.

Cotton is the worst traits of GW Bush and the worst traits of Trump rolled into one, so he's a no go, especially in the general. DeSantis can win the primary, but unless he manages to do damage control, will be too damaged for the general. 2024 is too soon for Crenshaw, and anyone that ran in 2016 wouldn't get any traction.

Pence could get the nomination, but I can't see him winning the general. I've said it once and I'll say it again, if the GOP needs a Bob Dole or Walter Mondale type sacrificial lamb to take one for the team, then he's the nominee. If they have a chance, someone other than Pence will be nominated.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2020, 08:40:14 PM »

Pence
ChrisMcDanielWasRobbed
KYtrader

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2020, 09:13:57 PM »

John James if he wins this year
ChrisMcDanielWasRobbed
KYtrader

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 09:16:45 PM »

Otherwise, it will be Nikki Haley.
SaneDemocrat

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 11:25:00 PM »

Jim Jordan
Big Abraham
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2020, 11:55:13 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2020, 11:59:56 PM by Big Abraham »

I'm actually very slightly inclined to agree with this. Even if it's not Carlson himself, it will almost certainly be someone in his mould.

Jeb!-ism is dead in the GOP and Nikki Haley and her cohorts don't have a hope in hell

Edit: Forgot about Josh Hawley, he stands a somewhat decent chance, although it's probably still too early in his career
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2020, 04:56:28 AM »

Probably Don Jr. or Hawley
dunceDude
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2020, 09:11:57 AM »

We are so lucky he's not going to win probably. A black republican from the Midwest would be dynamite in a national election.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies