The first human being to land on Mars will be a...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:09:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The first human being to land on Mars will be a...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: The first human being to land on Mars will be a...
American woman

American man

Chinese woman

Chinese man

Russian woman

Russian man

Other nation woman

Other nation man

No human being will land on Mars

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 58

Author Topic: The first human being to land on Mars will be a...  (Read 1322 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 01, 2020, 08:52:57 PM »

There were human missions to the Moon between 1969 and 1972. Maybe, there will be human missions to Mars in the next years (or decades)...
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 11:44:53 PM »

The first person on Mars better be a disabled genderqueer Blatinx immigrant seeking status 
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2020, 12:01:47 AM »

Matt Damon
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2020, 08:41:13 AM »

I probably won't be around to see it, so meh.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 09:07:48 AM »

on the 19th of Aug, 2042, the Carl Sagan will land on the surface of Mars with a crew of 7.  4 men (2 white, 1 black, 1 Hispanic) and 3 women (2 white, 1 Hispanic).
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »

I feel sorry for Tender Branson. Austria not being on the list must hurt him a lot.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 10:29:53 AM »

American man
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 11:19:14 AM »

British man, employed by SpaceX.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 11:54:05 AM »

I think Matt Damon identifies as a white American man.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 01:07:24 PM »

Transgender Russian.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 07:14:06 PM »

I feel sorry for Tender Branson. Austria not being on the list must hurt him a lot.

If it is a mission conducted by the European Space Agency, might be an Austrian. He or she will put the blue flag with the circle of yellow stars and the red white red flat on the Mars surface.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 07:29:57 PM »

A Chinese man is the most likely choice right now.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 11:41:19 PM »

If it is a mission conducted by the European Space Agency, might be an Austrian. He or she will put the blue flag with the circle of yellow stars and the red white red flag on the Mars surface.

The chances for that are very low because there is currently no Austronaut at ESA.

There are 3 Italians, 2 Germans, 1 French, 1 British and 1 Danish active astronauts.

The last new selection of astronauts was in 2009 though, so they might pick new ones soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Astronaut_Corps#Current_members

The last Austronaut was Franz Viehböck in the early 90s:

Link
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 11:44:05 PM »

If it is a mission conducted by the European Space Agency, might be an Austrian. He or she will put the blue flag with the circle of yellow stars and the red white red flag on the Mars surface.

The chances for that are very low because there is currently no Austronaut at ESA.

There are 3 Italians, 2 Germans, 1 French, 1 British and 1 Danish active astronauts.

A Mars landing is presumably far enough in the future that it'll probably be none of these people, so Austria still has a chance.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2020, 03:52:00 AM »

A Mars landing is presumably far enough in the future that it'll probably be none of these people, so Austria still has a chance.

I can't see the ESA wasting money on a manned Mars mission. The only way a European is the first to set foot on Mars is if ey is part of a Mars colonization effort.

Right now China is the only country that potentially has both the capability and interest in a mission to send people to Mars and returning em.
TheTide
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

P P P
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2020, 03:57:33 AM »

person who says "that's one small step for man........" because everyone will have run out of ideas by then.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 04:42:52 PM »

Since the possibility of life in Venus was dicovered, maybe there will be missions to Venus. But it is very hard to land a human being there. It is too hot!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2020, 09:45:31 PM »

Since the possibility of life in Venus was dicovered, maybe there will be missions to Venus. But it is very hard to land a human being there. It is too hot!

A manned mission to Venus would probably have humans in balloons where the temperature and pressure are closer to Earth's.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2020, 07:34:50 AM »

A manned mission to Venus would probably have humans in balloons where the temperature and pressure are closer to Earth's.

That was actually in a Wolfenstein game.

The last new selection of astronauts was in 2009 though, so they might pick new ones soon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Astronaut_Corps#Current_members

The last Austronaut was Franz Viehböck in the early 90s:

Link

I can't see the ESA wasting money on a manned Mars mission. The only way a European is the first to set foot on Mars is if ey is part of a Mars colonization effort.

Right now China is the only country that potentially has both the capability and interest in a mission to send people to Mars and returning em.

They don't have any experience with super heavy technology. The SLS is actually finishing testing but I still don't think that is a serious effort. It just seems like welfare at this point. If the Super Heavy program is successful, I can see that being the first vehicle to fly to Mars with people. My guess is if it succeeds, it will do so in the early 2030s because Elon is right now thinking mid-2020s. This is based on the preponderance of past Space X programs and their current progress on the current one.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2020, 09:21:17 AM »

Anyway, given that sex is apparently going to be banned during this Mars mission it might not be for everyone ("though it won't make much difference to most Atlas posters" comes the inevitable reply)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 06:11:18 PM »

They don't have any experience with super heavy technology. The SLS is actually finishing testing but I still don't think that is a serious effort. It just seems like welfare at this point. If the Super Heavy program is successful, I can see that being the first vehicle to fly to Mars with people. My guess is if it succeeds, it will do so in the early 2030s because Elon is right now thinking mid-2020s. This is based on the preponderance of past Space X programs and their current progress on the current one.

Elon might have the technical ability to do a Mars mission this decade, but unless he can get some sucker to fund it, it won't happen. Neither NASA nor ESA is gonna fund it and I can't see any other Western organization with even the interest.
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2020, 07:15:26 PM »

In order to have funds, the mission could have sponsors, like Coca Cola, McDonald's, IBM, Nike, Siemens, Bayer, BMW, Rolex, Gazprom, Nokia, Xiaomi etc. The sponsors could write their logos on the rocket, the shuttle and on the clothes of the crew.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2020, 09:09:02 PM »

In order to have funds, the mission could have sponsors, like Coca Cola, McDonald's, IBM, Nike, Siemens, Bayer, BMW, Rolex, Gazprom, Nokia, Xiaomi etc. The sponsors could write their logos on the rocket, the shuttle and on the clothes of the crew.

Space missions are risky.  The last thing any potential sponsor would want is for their logo be plastered on the side of an exploding rocket.  Musk might be able to get free food and maybe a little money from a sponsor.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2020, 10:14:10 PM »

Probably a US Naval officer. 
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2020, 11:32:23 PM »

A manned Mars mission would likely be a collaborative project between several countries, given that countries don't really "compete" with each other in terms of space exploration anymore. This isn't the Cold War. Like the ISS, a mission to Mars would likely be a collaborative project between NASA, the European Space Agency, Russia, Japan, Canada, etc.

(I don't expect China to magically become a part of that group anytime soon, & there's no way a Chinese space program beats all of those nations' combined efforts to have the 1st manned mission to Mars. Hell, even today, a manned mission to the Moon is still incredibly expensive & difficult, & I think China would have to at least do that as well as a rover landing on Mars before even thinking about a manned mission to Mars.)

As for the humans on that 1st manned mission themselves, my guess is that most of that 1st crew would be American astronauts since NASA in particular seems to have the best-developed stable full of highly intelligent, well-trained, driven astronaut candidates, any of whom would probably chomp at the bit for a chance to be the 1st person on Mars.

And as for the likely gender of that 1st person on Mars, well, women are less likely to snap mentally & kill one another in a long spaceflight, & they generally eat less, making them more efficient in a situation where everything's measured & monitored, so in all likelihood, they'll probably be an American woman.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies