Mideast Abolition of Superior Court Initiative
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 25, 2024, 10:35:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Mideast Abolition of Superior Court Initiative
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mideast Abolition of Superior Court Initiative  (Read 790 times)
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 25, 2006, 06:02:13 PM »

The following is only an initial draft. Suggestions are welcome.

Abolition of Superior Court Initiative
1. The Superior Court of the Mideast and the office of Superior Court Judge are hereby abolished.
2. Article II of the Mideast Constitution is hereby repealed.
3. The judicial power of the Mideast shall be vested in the Supreme Court of Atlasia.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 06:20:44 PM »

I'll support this if you ever do put it on for signitures. (You really should)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 06:43:12 PM »

I have given thought to this form of initiative in the past:

Can we actually force the Supreme Court to assume our judicial power? I have no doubt that the present Court would assume it, but if a Court were to decline to our judicial power, what exactly would happen?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 06:44:24 PM »

Shouldn't this be a constitutional amendment?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 06:47:05 PM »

I would support this and try to enact it as a proposition rather than an initiative. However, as Pete says we could have a theoretical problem in the future. If we, therefore must retain some judiciary power in the Mideast may I suggest it be transferred to the Lt. Governor.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 07:06:30 PM »

Can we actually force the Supreme Court to assume our judicial power? I have no doubt that the present Court would assume it, but if a Court were to decline to our judicial power, what exactly would happen?
I believe that the federal Constitution does require the Supreme Court to resolve election-related disputes in the absence of a regional judiciary. Thus, when it comes to cases related to office-holding, there is no difficulty.

In other cases: If the regional government has taken an action in violation of the regional Constitution, then it has deprived someone of liberty without due process of law. Such a deprivation is forbidden by federal law (specifically, the due process clause in the federal Bill of Rights). Thus, whenever the regional government violates the regional Constitution, it also violates the federal Constitution.

(I would note that there is real-life precedent for this approach. In Bouie v. City of Columbia, the U.S. Supreme Court held that a state government had acted in violation of state law, thereby violating the federal due process clause. The reason for which this does not happen very often is that the Supreme Court is supposed to defer to state courts' legal interpretations.)

Thus, even if the Supreme Court did not accept the judicial power of the Mideast, the federal judicial power would still entitle it to hear the case.

If we, therefore must retain some judiciary power in the Mideast may I suggest it be transferred to the Lt. Governor.
I think that the most important problem here is that the Lt. Governor may be called upon to rule in an election dispute involving himself. Also, I think that it might not be a good idea to leave legal interpretation in the hands of an executive officer.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 02:53:02 PM »

I am willing to accept the reasoning given. I would also state however that if a Convention is convened, it should make allowances for a Region to devolve judicial power on the Supreme Court.
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 06:41:03 PM »

I am willing to accept the reasoning given.
In that case, I would request the Governor to place this on the ballot as a proposition.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2006, 06:47:55 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2006, 10:08:23 PM by Governor Afleitch »

I would support this and try to enact it as a proposition rather than an initiative.

In that case, I would request the Governor to place this on the ballot as a proposition.

I will do. I'll work on the legislation.

EDIT. Emsworths wording seems fine as it is Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies