Atlas Chess Tournament - Congratulations, General MacArthur! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:43:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Atlas Chess Tournament - Congratulations, General MacArthur! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Atlas Chess Tournament - Congratulations, General MacArthur!  (Read 3178 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: November 12, 2020, 08:13:32 PM »
« edited: November 12, 2020, 08:56:12 PM by muon2 »

Wow, I have been away from Atlas for too long!  In one thread, I find out Lewis Trondheim is back and I missed a chess tournament. Amazing. Hope you all are having fun!

I'm in the same position. I just came back after a year hiatus. Good to see you, too.

Let me know if you are up for a challenge.

This tournament is closed.

But if someone wants to start an Atlas chess club for people to practice against each other, I'd be game.

I would be interested in this, too.

Edit: I have a premium membership on chess.com, and it appears that is a requirement to start a club. If there is interest and no one else is prepared to start a club. I can do it.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 08:43:46 AM »

Wow, I have been away from Atlas for too long!  In one thread, I find out Lewis Trondheim is back and I missed a chess tournament. Amazing. Hope you all are having fun!

I'm in the same position. I just came back after a year hiatus. Good to see you, too.

Let me know if you are up for a challenge.

This tournament is closed.

But if someone wants to start an Atlas chess club for people to practice against each other, I'd be game.

I would be interested in this, too.

Edit: I have a premium membership on chess.com, and it appears that is a requirement to start a club. If there is interest and no one else is prepared to start a club. I can do it.

Is a premium membership required to join a club?

I honestly can't remember. If it isn't I'd be interested in joining any such club.

From what I can tell, a premium membership is required for club management, but not to join.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 11:41:06 PM »

I've following since the start, and it's a pretty good game that seems to be going back and forth more than I would have anticipated.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 09:24:03 PM »

gg Statilius.  Very narrow escape for me.  I was in big big trouble around move 30.  Curious to get your thoughts on different points in the game.

Playing Bd3 before a3 or c3 was a huge mistake, I just completely forgot about Nb4.  I was so obsessed with the idea of the knight coming to c5 (after either ...c5 or g5+f5, when the d4 pawn is pinned to the Qxb2 threat) that I completely forgot it could also go to b4.

After the next few moves, where I accomplished very little, I realized I was in huge trouble and was going to lose unless I could generate some tactical chances.  The Nh3-xg5 idea doesn't quite work on move 31, because Black can pull the rook back to f8.  The key line is 31. Nxg5 Bxg5 32. Qd5 Rff8 33. Reg1 Qf6 and White doesn't have anything.  So I played Reg1, hoping for Rg7, the point being that from the g-file the rook can't go to g8 to protect the h8-rook after Qd5.  But actually, Reg1 is just an enormous blunder because after Rfxh7, White simply loses the now-pinned knight for nothing.  It's too nice to even call this a bluff because after spending a lot of time calculating 31. Nxg5 variations, I got frustrated that they didn't work, and just impulsively played 31. Reg1?? without thinking at all about the consequences of it.

I very much enjoyed watching your play. I appreciate your thoughts at move 31, since your calculations seemed pretty good to that point. Before Bd3, I was surprised at the push to h7 on the previous move. I thought you would have maintained more pressure leaving it on h6 and developing something like your knight to e2 and c3.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 09:37:12 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2020, 09:44:26 PM by muon2 »

I'm no chess expert, so I'm not going to comment on the game itself.

I will say that I hope we can do this again in the future.

As I replied earlier, I'm willing to set up an Atlas-centric club at chess.com if enough people are interested. Tournaments could be run through the club.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 09:47:37 AM »

I have created a club on chess.com called Election Atlas and Scott joins me as an admin. I will be inviting all the participants in Scott's just completed tournament. If you didn't play in the tournamnet, but want to be in the club I need your name on chess.com to send you an invite. You'll see me listed in the club as count-Y.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies