S.20.3-13: Fair Workweek Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:45:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.3-13: Fair Workweek Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.3-13: Fair Workweek Act (Law'd)  (Read 1484 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« on: August 31, 2020, 02:44:18 PM »
« edited: September 27, 2020, 11:38:45 AM by tmthforu94 »

AN ACT
to give families more time to spend with their children and increase productivity

Section 1 (Title & Definitions)
i. The title of this act shall be, the “Fair Workweek Act."

Section 2 (Gov't employee five-day workweek flexibility)
i. All government employees of the Southern Region who work five (5) days in a week shall have the option to choose between three (3) plans determining which days of the week they work.
   a. The first plan shall be called Workweek A. Workers who choose this plan must go to work on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
   b. The second plan shall be called Workweek B. Workers who choose this plan must go to work on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.
   c. The second plan shall be called Workweek C. Workers who choose this plan must go to work on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
ii. If a regional government employee who works five (5) days in a week requests a different combination of days, whether it be for religious or personal reasons, the government of the Southern Region may permit the employee in question to work on a plan that best fits.

Section 3 (Implementation)
i. This legislation shall come into effect on January 1, 2023.
Sponsor: DTC

Minimum 48 hours for debate. The sponsor is invited to advocate for the bill.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 04:40:23 PM »

I'm concerned with the current language. Many employers avoid paying overtime at all costs - I have a suspicion that larger companies will get around this by just hiring more people and limiting everyone to 35 hours/week; it is a more cost effective action than paying overtime.

While perhaps good for unemployment, these lost wages could cause much hardship for working families. Assuming someone is making the minimum wage ($11 federally) and working full-time, that would result in a reduction of $2,860 annually (before taxes).

The 40 hour workweek is archaic and counterproductive. The extra hour in every day is often not utilized efficiently because there are diminishing returns to work. I believe that we should reduce the workweek to 35 hours so that people have more time to be able to care for their family and pursue other life goals. People who really need to work will be able to benefit from overtime.

Except most jobs where people are absolutely working extra for the money don't allow overtime unless absolutely necessary since it costs their employer too much to pay the overtime rates. All this does it hurt actual working class people, especially those that work for an hourly rate, as it means full time workers get less hours than usual, and part time workers get cut even more so they don't risk accidentally qualifying for full time.

This will give those workers more time to work a second job then.
It defeats the purpose of this bill if people have to pick up a second job to make up for it, as they'll still be working 40+ hours per week. I imagine just about everyone would prefer doing one job at 40 hours a week as opposed to one at 30-35 and the other at 5-10 hours.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 05:10:19 PM »

This job doesn't force people to work only 7 hours a day...plenty of people do 10 hours 4 days a week so they can have Friday's off. Saying that most people can afford a cut of nearly $3000/year in income is a narrow-minded view, many in our region live paycheck to paycheck. That amount of money lost will force someone to choose whether to pay groceries or the electric bill.

This job really only affects lower-income citizens - most higher income earners are exempt employees. If they're limited to 35 hours total, 7 each day, what are they supposed to do? Likely have to pick up a job to cover on Saturday/Sunday. This is basically forcing people to work 6 days a week, which IMO is even worse than working 8 hours instead of 7.

I can't support this unless there are more protections for our workers, as this bill is anti-worker in it's current form. Perhaps require employers to provide a paid meal break each day? That is the best workaround I can think off the top of my head, though doesn't necessarily have to do with the workweek.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 06:08:49 PM »

Let’s keep discussion focused on the merits of the bill being debated. Thanks.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2020, 10:54:47 PM »

At this point, I haven't been convinced in the merits of this bill - this loss of income would have a tremendous effect on many in the region and there is really no plan in place on how that income would be supplemented. I'm not sure of an amendment that would solve the problem. I'd be open to any proposals to better protect working families, but I will vote Nay on the current version.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2020, 03:27:00 PM »

I don't agree with this bill but am going to introduce the following amendment as I think it is necessary for businesses to prepare, regardless of feelings on Section 2.

AN ACT
to give families more time to spend with their children and increase productivity

Section 2 (Workweek reduction)
i. The workweek shall be reduced from 40 hours to 35 hours.
ii. Unless exempt, employees covered by the Act must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 35 in a workweek at a rate not less than time and one-half their regular rates of pay.

i. This legislation shall come into effect immediately upon signature by the Governor on January 1, 2021.
24 hours for objections.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 04:10:12 PM »

Debate resumes, amendment is adopted.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 10:30:56 PM »

24 hours for objections.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 12:43:46 PM »

Does anyone have an amendment? There have been concerns brought up on the financial impact this will have on workers if they're only being paid 35 hours, I personally don't have a solution to fix this and am not sure any sort of subsidization would gain my vote in the end.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 12:11:39 AM »

I would like at least 72 hours of debate on this amendment. Not sure how practical it is. It sounds nice, but it may not be practical for a lot of government jobs to be open on Saturday or Sunday. Flexibility is good but only to a certain extent.
I agree, this is too big of an amendment to start an immediate vote on with an objection.

Motion to extend the rules for 72 hour objection/debate period on Koopa's amendment, 24 hours for objection. I encourage debate to resume as I am hopeful and confident no one objects to this, as the sponsor requested it.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 04:14:24 PM »

One initial concern I have is the added expense that would come from having government buildings open 7 days a week - almost all agencies just operate under the traditional calendar, with some open on Saturday's as well. I'd prefer wording that allows flexibility for agencies who deem it impractical to operate 7-days per week.

Something else I'd like to throw out as a bit of a compromise on what could get through final passage - I'd be open to the idea of having Section 2 apply specifically to government employees, then stating that hourly employee wages shall be adjusted to prevent a decrease of wages. I don't feel comfortable mandating such a requirement for private entities as I think it could cause great harm to many that are currently struggling to stay afloat in a pandemic, and even after, the strain especially on small businesses. However, having the government adopt this first and seeing it implemented successfully could place pressure and incentivize private businesses to adopt a similar plan in the future.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2020, 12:35:32 PM »

The objection period for Koopa's amendment will end tonight, if there are no objections it will be added to the bill.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2020, 03:57:58 PM »

Koopa's amendment has been adopted.

I am now introducing an amendment that would implement the proposal I made several days ago to only have this apply to regional government employees. I was a bit stumped on wording for Section 2, Clause iii, so if anyone has a better version, I'm very open to suggestions on it:

AN ACT

Section 2 (Workweek reduction)
i. The workweek for regional government employees shall be reduced from 40 hours to 35 hours.
ii. Unless exempt, employees covered by the Act must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 35 in a workweek at a rate not less than time and one-half their regular rates of pay.
iii. Non-exempt employees shall have their hourly wage adjusted to reflect the same gross pay amount as previously.

Section 3 (Gov't employee five-day workweek flexibility)
i. All government employees of the Southern Region who work five (5) days in a week shall have the option to choose between three (3) plans determining which days of the week they work.
   a. The first plan shall be called Workweek A. Workers who choose this plan must go to work on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
   b. The second plan shall be called Workweek B. Workers who choose this plan must go to work on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.
   c. The second plan shall be called Workweek C. Workers who choose this plan must go to work on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
ii. If a regional government employee who works five (5) days in a week requests a different combination of days, whether it be for religious or personal reasons, the government of the Southern Region may permit the employee in question to work on a plan that best fits.

Section 4 (Implementation)
24 hours for objections.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2020, 05:32:03 PM »

The amendment is adopted, debate resumes.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2020, 10:41:58 PM »

24 hours for objections to Reagente's amendment.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 03:20:06 PM »

The amendment has been adopted. Debate resumes.

Any further amendments/suggestions before proceeding to a final vote?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 07:41:51 PM »

The amendment has been adopted. Debate resumes.

Any further amendments/suggestions before proceeding to a final vote?

I support proceeding to a final vote.
Sounds good.

Officially motioning for a final vote, 24 hours for objections.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2020, 01:13:06 PM »

A final vote has started on the below text, please vote AYE, NAY or ABSTAIN.

AN ACT

Section 2 (Gov't employee five-day workweek flexibility)

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2020, 11:51:54 AM »

This has enough votes to pass, delegates have 24 hours to change their votes.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 09:59:46 PM »

This has passed and will be presented to the Governor for signature.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies