S.20.3-13: Fair Workweek Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 08:57:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.3-13: Fair Workweek Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.3-13: Fair Workweek Act (Law'd)  (Read 1515 times)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« on: September 12, 2020, 07:43:46 PM »

AN ACT
to give families more time to spend with their children and increase productivity

Section 1 (Title & definitions)
i. The title of this act shall be, the “Fair Workweek Act."

Section 2 (Workweek reduction)
i. The workweek shall be reduced from 40 hours to 35 hours.
ii. Unless exempt, employees covered by the Act must receive overtime pay for hours worked over 35 in a workweek at a rate not less than time and one-half their regular rates of pay.

Section 3 (Gov't employee five-day workweek flexibility)
i. All government employees of the Southern Region who work five (5) days in a week shall have the option to choose between three (3) plans determining which days of the week they work.
   a. The first plan shall be called Workweek A. Workers who choose this plan must go to work on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
   b. The second plan shall be called Workweek B. Workers who choose this plan must go to work on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays.
   c. The second plan shall be called Workweek C. Workers who choose this plan must go to work on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
ii. If a regional government employee who works five (5) days in a week requests a different combination of days, whether it be for religious or personal reasons, the government of the Southern Region may permit the employee in question to work on a plan that best fits.

Section 34 (Implementation)
i. This legislation shall come into effect on January 1, 2023.

Since we're talking about the workweek, here's an amendment that I think would be nice. Please feel free to amend or trash this amendment if you so choose.

KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 08:13:03 PM »

I would like 72 hours of debate on this amendment. Not sure how practical it is. It sounds nice, but it may not be practical for a lot of government jobs to be open on Saturday or Sunday. Flexibility is good but only to a certain extent.

This is a good point. The reasoning behind this is so that not only can government employees still observe their sabbath day while still being able to use this amended workweek, but also because if we hire more employees using these schedules, the offset can mean that government services can be provided 7 days a week to all Southerners.

However, I can 100% understand why you believe this might not be practical. We could maybe pick and choose which gov't employees get the option and which don't, or also maybe just scrap the whole idea all together. So yeah, this 72 hour debate window is a good idea.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 08:43:07 AM »

All of you green avatars make very good points. In fact, we can maybe start it one gov't entity, and slowly branch out from there.

Addressing the gentleman from Wales, I think it would be a good idea to let some Southern agencies to have some exceptions to the rules, especially if they already run on a specific and strict schedule that would be hard to mess with, such as postal services. And by 'government employee', I generally meant people who work directly for the Southern government and its agencies, although I will let my fellow delegates define that term as loosely or as strictly as they wish.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 06:59:55 PM »

Present, I am glad my amendment might become law, although redacting the original text by DTC wasn't my intention. Oh well, I'm fine with it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies