S.20.3-13: Fair Workweek Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:35:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.3-13: Fair Workweek Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.3-13: Fair Workweek Act (Law'd)  (Read 1503 times)
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« on: August 31, 2020, 02:55:25 PM »

The 40 hour workweek is archaic and counterproductive. The extra hour in every day is often not utilized efficiently because there are diminishing returns to work. I believe that we should reduce the workweek to 35 hours so that people have more time to be able to care for their family and pursue other life goals. People who really need to work will be able to benefit from overtime.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 04:37:07 PM »

The 40 hour workweek is archaic and counterproductive. The extra hour in every day is often not utilized efficiently because there are diminishing returns to work. I believe that we should reduce the workweek to 35 hours so that people have more time to be able to care for their family and pursue other life goals. People who really need to work will be able to benefit from overtime.

Except most jobs where people are absolutely working extra for the money don't allow overtime unless absolutely necessary since it costs their employer too much to pay the overtime rates. All this does it hurt actual working class people, especially those that work for an hourly rate, as it means full time workers get less hours than usual, and part time workers get cut even more so they don't risk accidentally qualifying for full time.

This will give those workers more time to work a second job then.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 04:51:47 PM »

I'm concerned with the current language. Many employers avoid paying overtime at all costs - I have a suspicion that larger companies will get around this by just hiring more people and limiting everyone to 35 hours/week; it is a more cost effective action than paying overtime.

While perhaps good for unemployment, these lost wages could cause much hardship for working families. Assuming someone is making the minimum wage ($11 federally) and working full-time, that would result in a reduction of $2,860 annually (before taxes).

Except most jobs where people are absolutely working extra for the money don't allow overtime unless absolutely necessary since it costs their employer too much to pay the overtime rates. All this does it hurt actual working class people, especially those that work for an hourly rate, as it means full time workers get less hours than usual, and part time workers get cut even more so they don't risk accidentally qualifying for full time.

This will give those workers more time to work a second job then.
It defeats the purpose of this bill if people have to pick up a second job to make up for it, as they'll still be working 40+ hours per week. I imagine just about everyone would prefer doing one job at 40 hours a week as opposed to one at 30-35 and the other at 5-10 hours.

Many people will still be able to make enough at 35 hours. For the ones that do not, they can work a second job to supplement their income. People will be more productive at work/hour in a 7 hour workday because they will have more sleep and more time to pursue other interests leading to a happier life. This will also encourage entrepreneurship which has steadily gone down in the past 20 years.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 05:01:52 PM »

Forcing people who need money the most to work two jobs. Real smart move.

Always nice to see Labor Party officeholders admit they don't care about workers.

You will not respond to me in this tone. You will respond to me with calm, reasoned responses when you talk to me.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 08:07:23 PM »

I would like at least 72 hours of debate on this amendment. Not sure how practical it is. It sounds nice, but it may not be practical for a lot of government jobs to be open on Saturday or Sunday. Flexibility is good but only to a certain extent.

Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 02:10:10 PM »
« Edited: September 21, 2020, 07:25:54 AM by DTC »

I support reagente's amendment. I think a 35 work week could be a good idea, but I don't believe it should be mandated anymore. Even for regional government employees.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 07:00:38 PM »

The amendment has been adopted. Debate resumes.

Any further amendments/suggestions before proceeding to a final vote?

I support proceeding to a final vote.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies