Military Times/Syracuse University: Biden +6 among military troops
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:46:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Military Times/Syracuse University: Biden +6 among military troops
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Military Times/Syracuse University: Biden +6 among military troops  (Read 5293 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2020, 07:07:09 PM »

Trump's abandonment of the Kurds is also probably a huge factor.   I never deployed to Iraq and don't know many people who did (I was isolated in a "NATO bubble" in Europe), but I hear OIF combat veterans really took this issue to heart.

I can't believe I forgot about that. It's amazing how ancient everything pre-COVID seems.

I could see that though. If anyone could remember this it's the troops who had potatoes angrily flung at them by Kurdish civilians out of a feeling of betrayal.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2020, 09:36:52 PM »

Trump's abandonment of the Kurds is also probably a huge factor.   I never deployed to Iraq and don't know many people who did (I was isolated in a "NATO bubble" in Europe), but I hear OIF combat veterans really took this issue to heart.

I can't believe I forgot about that. It's amazing how ancient everything pre-COVID seems.

I could see that though. If anyone could remember this it's the troops who had potatoes angrily flung at them by Kurdish civilians out of a feeling of betrayal.

lol.  Okay.   I have no idea what you just said. 

But here's a rec. 
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2020, 05:24:04 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2020, 02:17:07 PM by NOVA Green »

I believe a Military Times Poll in 2008 showed Obama winning the Military Vote... (From an Archived Atlas thread way back).

Additionally, County and Precinct Level data from '08 appears to confirm that fact.

Don't recall the exact breakdown of Officers vs Enlisted Men/Women from the poll, let alone breakdown by Military Branch...

What I do seem to recall is that the heavily Anglo Officer Corps swung hard DEM between '04 and '08 bcs of morale issues caused by the lies and BS which the Bush Jr Administration used to justify the War in Iraq.

Enlisted Men in Army & Marines tend to skew much more Black & Latino than Air Force & Navy (Last time I checked), but also tons of folks doing only a 1x contract or maybe 2x, but re-ups typically don't go that far unless you're looking at going career and/or maxing on the bennies...

Although I would not necessarily consider the Military Times Polls as Gospel, simply take a peak at precinct level results for the USMC Bases for 1st MEF and 2nd MEF.... roll around Military Precincts from Fort Campbell to Fort Hood... Fort Benning... etc...

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2020, 07:20:10 AM »

If anything, probably understates Sleepy Joe's support, considering only the tryhards subscribe to the "Military Times" (each branch has their respective version), since they are always laying about free in every post around the world.  

When I was active duty, I never knew anyone who was a paid subscriber to the Army Times.  I'd laugh at such nerds.  

Quiet Army man... what was your MOS?

31B.   I checked ID cards.   Smiley

But it was a fun few years.   Got to go to Germany. And deployed to some interesting places.  Mostly in the Balkans.  

"What did you do in the military"

"I was a cop"

Far superior to a cop.  A gate guard.

Did the gates ever get up to mischief? Wink

I don't know how such a stupid joke made me chuckle out loud.

Ugh. Could I seriously be morphing into dad humor? Tongue
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2020, 07:29:44 AM »

If anything, probably understates Sleepy Joe's support, considering only the tryhards subscribe to the "Military Times" (each branch has their respective version), since they are always laying about free in every post around the world.  

When I was active duty, I never knew anyone who was a paid subscriber to the Army Times.  I'd laugh at such nerds.  

Quiet Army man... what was your MOS?

31B.   I checked ID cards.   Smiley

But it was a fun few years.   Got to go to Germany. And deployed to some interesting places.  Mostly in the Balkans.  

"What did you do in the military"

"I was a cop"

Far superior to a cop.  A gate guard.

Did the gates ever get up to mischief? Wink

I don't know how such a stupid joke made me chuckle out loud.

Ugh. Could I seriously be morphing into dad humor? Tongue

If you're pro-pencil, does that make you erasist?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2020, 06:33:57 PM »

lol.  Okay.   I have no idea what you just said. 

But here's a rec. 

You don't remember the video of the Kurdish civilians angrily throwing food at the American convoy leaving their territory? I was suggesting how something like that could stick with some troops.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2020, 02:36:45 PM »

so how did this age?
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2020, 02:59:19 PM »

It's not 100% clear if Biden outright won the active duty military vote or not. But all indications from examining the results in areas with a heavy military presence (such as Virginia Beach), reported votes from military bases themselves, and overseas military ballots, are that there was at the very least a massive swing against Trump among the military vote since 2016. He either lost it completely or nearly did, and since he won it by like 20 or 30 points last time, that's a pretty huge drop either way.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2020, 03:44:14 PM »

Trump will likely have performed less well among active-duty military, enlisted or commissioned, in getting their votes than any Republican nominee since at least Goldwater.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2020, 10:04:43 AM »

Of course but the soldiers coming back due to suicide bombings and landmines comeback home after service mostly on the disabled list, blind, and broken limbs and severe burns. Active Duty mility become disabled Vets quickly when they return and their collegues are seeing this, as well as Covid taking a toll on the Natl Guard
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2020, 02:45:58 PM »

It's not 100% clear if Biden outright won the active duty military vote or not. But all indications from examining the results in areas with a heavy military presence (such as Virginia Beach), reported votes from military bases themselves, and overseas military ballots, are that there was at the very least a massive swing against Trump among the military vote since 2016. He either lost it completely or nearly did, and since he won it by like 20 or 30 points last time, that's a pretty huge drop either way.

iirc some precincts in San Diego that are almost all military went 50-50 or nearly so. And in addition to Virginia Beach, Colorado Springs also swung hard towards Biden.
JohnCA246
mokbubble

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2020, 10:11:33 PM »

Biden did pretty well in Bell County,TX home of Ft. Hood. Not a great indictor given that since many people in the county aren't military and I imagine much of the military votes absentee as residents of other counties. Still, it will be interesting to see if this is a one off or if Texas military is swinging hard D and RGV Latinos are swinging hard GOP. Would have never guessed that to happen at the same time.

Any indicator how urban Latinos voted in TX? El Paso County seems pretty consistently Dem. Biden got a slightly higher vote share than Obama 12.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2020, 10:19:45 PM »

Would the swing among that demographic alone have been enough to cost Trump the election, or was it not that close?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies