CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 04:03:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 127721 times)
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: September 10, 2021, 08:37:37 PM »

Why or how exactly did a state race like this get nationalized? Why is this so much more nationalized  that the NJ or VA race?

It was the Republicans. They literally shot themselves in the foot. Not that they ever had a chance, but The whole thing’s been pretty funny.

Can you explain how republicans nationalized this? It seems to me that Newsom team consisntely had non California politicians all over the news.

Also you realize anyone the GOP would have had as the front runner would have been tabled all the same things they did to elder right?

What were the things they did to Elder? Point to his past history of extreme statements and demonstrate that his views were entirely unlike the median California voter? You seem very aggrieved by this whole election process and I can't understand what about this you think was unfair to Republicans.

Oh I don’t think anything about this in unfair. I just disagree and don’t understand how republicans nationalized this. To me it was totally nationalized by the democrats with bringing in big names who weren’t even California politicians and referencing things going on in different states and talking about future senate appointees.

Also I firmly believe elder or no elder that the democrats would have painted any GOP nominee as far right no matter how moderate they would have been.

The median voter in California is a Democrat who leans towards the left of the national party. The onus is not on Newsom and the CA Dems to avoid nationalizing, because that is exactly what makes turnout spike. The median voter in California wants Dianne Feinstein replaced by a liberal Democrat, vaccines mandated across the entire state, and is repulsed by Trumpism.

Republicans have completely failed at putting up any remotely palatable candidate statewide in the last 10 years, precisely because they have completely ignored the importance of catering your politics towards the people of your state. For a Republican to win, they need to completely disavow the national GOP because that name is radioactive toxic waste in the state of California. The CAGOP nationalized itself in 2010 and continues to nationalize itself, which is why it hasn't won diddly squat.

You can't point at Newsom pulling in the people who appeal to 60% of Californians and go 'wah wah how come they get to nationalize the race' because that's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

Everything you said is accurate but do you really think even if the CAGOP changes course and nominates socially moderate to liberal republicans and avoids following the national GOP it would make any difference more than maybe a point or two?
I believe that no matter what the letter “R” next to the name will do them in no matter who they run or how well of a campaign they run. It seems like literally no matter who the candidate is even if it’s the CA GOP version of Charlie Baker dems in CA will just call that person a Trump candidate which is annoying since you can be a Republican and not have anything to do with Trump. That’s the most annoying part of this is how much they make this about Trump when he isn’t even on the ballot and isn’t president

As long as Trump remains the GOP's figurehead and the person every Republican sucks up to out of fear of getting primaried, nobody's convincing anyone that he's not a factor.

The CAGOP lives in terror of their base. They kicked out Chad Mayes for having two brain cells to rub together. Kevin Faulconer has more Democrats voting for him than Republicans. There is no appetite for serious governance or actual leadership in the CAGOP, not since their Faustian bargain with the Tea Party.

If you've managed to take Orange County, the birthplace of Reagan and Nixon, which voted for Bush by 20 points in 2004, and turn it blue up and down the ballot, there is something deeply deeply wrong with your approach to politics.

The modern California Republican is more concerned about sucking up to the national GOP and playing this self-effacing "Everyone hates California, that's why they're all leaving!! Right, guys?? Haha Commiefornia amirite" shtick than seriously appealing to anyone outside their base.

We’ll in fairness even in 2010 and 2014 when Trump wasn’t a factor pro choice republicans like Meg Whitman and Neel Kashmiri got killed as well

That should be an argument for the CAGOP being bad at politics rather than being crushed by anti-Trump partisanship.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1376 on: September 10, 2021, 09:20:01 PM »

Everything you said is accurate but do you really think even if the CAGOP changes course and nominates socially moderate to liberal republicans and avoids following the national GOP it would make any difference more than maybe a point or two?
I believe that no matter what the letter “R” next to the name will do them in no matter who they run or how well of a campaign they run. It seems like literally no matter who the candidate is even if it’s the CA GOP version of Charlie Baker dems in CA will just call that person a Trump candidate which is annoying since you can be a Republican and not have anything to do with Trump. That’s the most annoying part of this is how much they make this about Trump when he isn’t even on the ballot and isn’t president

That's basically what happened to Steve Poizner in 2018. And he didn't even have the Republican label on his ballot.

Tying Poizner to Trumpism didn't really work, though. Whatever his campaign strategy was, it's by far the closest a non-Democrat has come to winning a statewide elected office in the past decade.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1377 on: September 10, 2021, 09:31:51 PM »

I keep on getting texts from gop groups telling me I haven't returneed my ballot, despite the fact that i DID weeks ago. According to the sos website, my ballot was received.

Is this something I should be worried about or do these groups send spam texts to everyone?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #1378 on: September 10, 2021, 09:40:14 PM »

I keep on getting texts from gop groups telling me I haven't returneed my ballot, despite the fact that i DID weeks ago. According to the sos website, my ballot was received.

Is this something I should be worried about or do these groups send spam texts to everyone?

Only what the Secretary of State says matters. Anything else is not credible or official.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1379 on: September 10, 2021, 10:43:46 PM »

The modern GOP folks.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1380 on: September 10, 2021, 11:59:43 PM »

The endless cycle of not accepting results and claiming fraud is a source of huge income. Elder is not going to walk away from this empty handed and huge checks from gullible donors is far superior to actually winning the race anyway.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1381 on: September 11, 2021, 07:53:43 AM »

The endless cycle of not accepting results and claiming fraud is a source of huge income. Elder is not going to walk away from this empty handed and huge checks from gullible donors is far superior to actually winning the race anyway.

Their base exists as their servants. Once they are done destroying society and making it back in their image, they will become to their base the landlords they can never leave.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1382 on: September 11, 2021, 08:19:53 AM »

California could of course be different, but during the last couple of Georgia elections, I got frequent text and postcard reminders from both parties (there is no party registration here).  The Democratic ones tapered off shortly after I returned my ballot, while the Republican ones continued through the deadline (and postcards continued well beyond it, but that was at a time when mail delivery was pretty slow).  It's obvious that only one of the parties was using the publicly accessible absentee file, which is updated daily, to filter out voters who had already returned their ballots. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1383 on: September 11, 2021, 09:30:52 AM »

It was a waste of money, the reason why Larry Elder and Cox will continue to fail is Leader McCarthy, Cox looks like McCarthy whom is not popular with Blks or Latinos and the state has 40% Latinos
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1384 on: September 11, 2021, 01:15:31 PM »

Lmao, I didn't realize Paffrath is German born and just turning 30 years until today, when a major German newssite reported on his candidacy. Funny, they called Newsom a "slick guy".
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1385 on: September 11, 2021, 01:27:22 PM »

Total ballots returned = 7,327,713
Dems 3,852,837 (52.6%)
Reps 1,819,002 (24.8%)
Ind/Other 1,655,874 (22.6%)

Turnout = Dems (37%) Reps (34%), Ind/Other (25%)

Total ballots returned = 7,757,346
Dems 4,070,655 (52.5%)
Reps 1,931,763 (24.9%)
Ind/Other 1,754,928 (22.6%)

Turnout = Dems (39%), Reps (36%), Ind/Other (27%)

Dems are at +27.6 right now on Reps. Election Eve 2020 was D+26.5.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #1386 on: September 11, 2021, 01:30:24 PM »

Why or how exactly did a state race like this get nationalized? Why is this so much more nationalized  that the NJ or VA race?

It was the Republicans. They literally shot themselves in the foot. Not that they ever had a chance, but The whole thing’s been pretty funny.

Can you explain how republicans nationalized this? It seems to me that Newsom team consisntely had non California politicians all over the news.

Also you realize anyone the GOP would have had as the front runner would have been tabled all the same things they did to elder right?

What were the things they did to Elder? Point to his past history of extreme statements and demonstrate that his views were entirely unlike the median California voter? You seem very aggrieved by this whole election process and I can't understand what about this you think was unfair to Republicans.

Oh I don’t think anything about this in unfair. I just disagree and don’t understand how republicans nationalized this. To me it was totally nationalized by the democrats with bringing in big names who weren’t even California politicians and referencing things going on in different states and talking about future senate appointees.

Also I firmly believe elder or no elder that the democrats would have painted any GOP nominee as far right no matter how moderate they would have been.

The median voter in California is a Democrat who leans towards the left of the national party. The onus is not on Newsom and the CA Dems to avoid nationalizing, because that is exactly what makes turnout spike. The median voter in California wants Dianne Feinstein replaced by a liberal Democrat, vaccines mandated across the entire state, and is repulsed by Trumpism.

Republicans have completely failed at putting up any remotely palatable candidate statewide in the last 10 years, precisely because they have completely ignored the importance of catering your politics towards the people of your state. For a Republican to win, they need to completely disavow the national GOP because that name is radioactive toxic waste in the state of California. The CAGOP nationalized itself in 2010 and continues to nationalize itself, which is why it hasn't won diddly squat.

You can't point at Newsom pulling in the people who appeal to 60% of Californians and go 'wah wah how come they get to nationalize the race' because that's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

As long as Trump remains the GOP's figurehead and the person every Republican sucks up to out of fear of getting primaried, nobody's convincing anyone that he's not a factor.

The CAGOP lives in terror of their base. They kicked out Chad Mayes for having two brain cells to rub together. Kevin Faulconer has more Democrats voting for him than Republicans. There is no appetite for serious governance or actual leadership in the CAGOP, not since their Faustian bargain with the Tea Party.

If you've managed to take Orange County, the birthplace of Reagan and Nixon, which voted for Bush by 20 points in 2004, and turn it blue up and down the ballot, there is something deeply deeply wrong with your approach to politics.

The modern California Republican is more concerned about sucking up to the national GOP and playing this self-effacing "Everyone hates California, that's why they're all leaving!! Right, guys?? Haha Commiefornia amirite" shtick than seriously appealing to anyone outside their base.

We’ll in fairness even in 2010 and 2014 when Trump wasn’t a factor pro choice republicans like Meg Whitman and Neel Kashmiri got killed as well

California GOP needs to moderate on economic as well as social issues to win statewide considering they will have to flip large numbers of Latino and Asian voters.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1387 on: September 11, 2021, 02:03:46 PM »

Steve Daines must have foreseen this hopeless mess at the age of 2, which is why he advised his family to move to MT. Another 4D-chess genius move on his part! (not a self-hating RINO)

Smart CA Republicans like Greg Gianforte and Steve Daines have a future, it’s just not in CA. Obviously people very rarely move for political reasons, but making NV, AZ, NM, MT, ID, etc. more attractive destinations for CA Republicans would be a better use of time/money and also prove far more beneficial to the national party than recalls like these (especially when they’re run this incompetently).
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1388 on: September 11, 2021, 05:08:49 PM »

The modern GOP folks.

He is going to lose by double-digits, it's so absurd that Republicans are capable of believing that a margin of that size can be fabricated in one of the nation's most Democratic states.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1389 on: September 11, 2021, 06:19:09 PM »

what are you talking about?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1390 on: September 11, 2021, 06:26:02 PM »

Who? Me? You tend to not like me, so I'm just going to assume you are.

I'm expressing confusion about why Republicans can't even accept that they can lose fair and square in one of the nation's most hostile states to them. You'd think that even bulls*** conspiracies need at least some grounding, right?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1391 on: September 11, 2021, 06:32:13 PM »

I'm expressing confusion about why Republicans can't even accept that they can lose fair and square in one of the nation's most hostile states to them. You'd think that even bulls*** conspiracies need at least some grounding, right?
no, not you, i'm talking about the weirdo who wandered into the thread about California and is talking about montana for some reason
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1392 on: September 11, 2021, 06:34:00 PM »

no, not you, i'm talking about the weirdo who wandered into the thread about California and is talking about montana for some reason

Hah! Okay. Yeah, MTTreasurer has the tendency to do his schtick and find some way to slightly relate it to the topic at hand.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #1393 on: September 11, 2021, 06:56:30 PM »

Tuesday it's over for Elder, happy days
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1394 on: September 11, 2021, 07:26:29 PM »

You did vote for him.
sguberman
United States

« Reply #1395 on: September 11, 2021, 09:30:55 PM »

https://twitter.com/RzstProgramming/status/1436801065140334596
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #1396 on: September 11, 2021, 10:53:08 PM »

At this point it's like beating a dead Horse. This is Safe Newsom.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1397 on: September 12, 2021, 10:33:56 AM »

And that is exactly why he has been labeled a white supremacist. On top of that I cringed when he said Vice Governor of New York instead of Lieutenant Governor. Just a pet peeve of mine.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1398 on: September 12, 2021, 01:10:01 PM »

So I don’t know if you guys have caught this yet, but there’s going to be a press conference this afternoon between Larry Elder, and MeToo figure Rose McGowan. McGowan has spent the last week alleging that Newsom’s wife acted on behalf of Hollywood figures to try and “silence” her testimony regarding guys like Weinstein, who she was among the first to accuse.

McGowan appears a little unstable right now, having had several public outbursts (including a screaming match with a trans activist, a bizarre Colbert appearance, and declaring she was leaving the US forever a few years back). She got on team Tara Reade early on, and stuck around even after it was discredited.

I appreciate that the woman has a lot of trauma, and I don’t mean to ridicule her. I only bring this up because she’s going to hold a joint press conference with Elder (who has his own domestic issues, ie pulling a weapon on his ex), to either broadly attack Newsom, or endorse Elder.

Maybe this will be nothing, and I highly doubt it’s going to win Elder many/any votes. But it felt newsworthy enough to give you guys a heads up.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1399 on: September 12, 2021, 02:29:20 PM »

CAN YOU DIG IT?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies