CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:16:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 123944 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: May 04, 2021, 02:14:40 PM »

Only fair that I bring up some of the conflicts on the anti-recall side.

LA Times: Split Emerging Among California Democrats Over Most Effective Argument Against Newsom Recall

For months, Gov. Gavin Newsom and the Democratic establishment have painted the effort to recall the governor as a Republican power grab fueled by supporters of former President Trump and hard-right activists.

But a divide is emerging among Democrats over whether this attack is the smartest approach now that the measure has garnered enough signatures to qualify for the ballot.

Some party leaders are arguing that a wiser tactic is to recognize that some Democratic and independent voters signed recall petitions because they were frustrated by the hardships caused by the economic and school closures during the pandemic.

Christine Pelosi, who just finished a 10-year term as chair of the party’s women’s caucus, said she knows of Democrats from the Marina District in San Francisco as well as from the rural edges of the state who signed the recall petitions. By not recognizing the validity of their hurt and instead focusing on partisanship, Pelosi said, recall opponents are turning off Democratic and independent voters who could be brought back into the fold.

“We have to begin with compassionate empathy for the terrible year they had,” said Pelosi, the daughter of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco) and a member of the Democratic National Committee. “If we’re not speaking to the reality of people’s truth, then they’re going to become engaged against us.”

Pelosi was the most prominent delegate who urged party officials during their virtual convention on Sunday to strip language that referred to the recall as “Republican” and “partisan” from a resolution opposing the effort to oust Newsom from office.

The effort was unsuccessful, with 593 delegates voting to eliminate the descriptions and 627 voting to keep it.

“This is a Republican recall, this is a partisan ploy,” said state party Chairman Rusty Hicks, who authored the resolution with Sen. Alex Padilla. “As I led off our convention by saying, [the recall is] an attempt to get around the barrier that California Republicans can’t seem to overcome, and that is winning statewide office in California.”[...]

“We’re just telling it like it is,” he [Anti-recall campaign spokesman Nathan Click] said, adding that the resolution, with the language labeling the recall a Republican and partisan effort intact, was approved by Democrats on a 1,011-111 vote.

Earlier this year, recall advisors said that about two-thirds of petition signatories were Republicans, 9% were Democrats and the remaining quarter were registered without party preference.

While there’s no way to verify these figures, Democratic strategist Garry South said that if these figures are true, that means less than 2% of the state’s 10.7 million registered Democrats signed recall petitions.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2021-05-04/california-democrats-argument-newsom-recall
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #576 on: May 04, 2021, 02:23:07 PM »

Also, Caitlyn Jenner just released her first campaign video.

Outside of the COVID-related clips (And even some of them look like retreads), it looks like a video any statewide California Republican could've run. And I'm sure it'll break through the electorate with just as much success as previous years.
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #577 on: May 04, 2021, 02:47:10 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2021, 03:15:21 PM by Storr »

Outside of the COVID-related clips (And even some of them look like retreads), it looks like a video any statewide California Republican could've run. And I'm sure it'll break through the electorate with just as much success as previous years.
I'm glad she was able to show off her absurdly large and well furnished closet at the beginning of the ad. Also she unironically used "compassionate disrupter"......what f***ing year is it?? But seriously, all of the harking back to the "California dream" with images from the 60s and 70s, clips from her Olympic win in 1976, and making her campaign "Make California Great Again" in all but name, gives me the feeling she will only appeal to white people over the age of 50. She's obviously trying the "celebrity political disrupter bipartisan hero" schtick that Arnold Schwarzenegger used in 2002.
tallguy23
United States

« Reply #578 on: May 04, 2021, 03:00:08 PM »

It's actually an effective ad. But Jenner is a joke
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #579 on: May 04, 2021, 03:22:57 PM »

It's actually an effective ad. But Jenner is a joke

Of course it looks effective & sleek. The question is will that messaging land? Considering it's basically what every statewide Republican has ran in the last 10 years, I doubt it
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #580 on: May 04, 2021, 03:24:33 PM »

Only Ric Grenell is finally missing in this clown car. California Republicans have become a total joke.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #581 on: May 04, 2021, 03:26:56 PM »

CA GOP.... What happened to you?

Well they gave me an idea for a new username. PizzaGaetz was getting rather stale.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #582 on: May 04, 2021, 03:29:05 PM »

Well they gave me an idea for a new username. PizzaGaetz was getting rather stale.
FubartSolman and clever displaynames. Name a more iconic duo.
DabbingSanta
United States
P P P
« Reply #583 on: May 04, 2021, 04:26:39 PM »

Watch all the peace loving LGBT activists say transphobic s*** about Caitlyn Jenner now that they realized she's based and red pilled.  We don't care what you do in the bedroom, if you love America, we support you.  I hereby endorse Caitlyn Jenner for governor~!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #584 on: May 04, 2021, 07:05:54 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2021, 07:19:41 PM by Anyone But Yang! »

Watch all the peace loving LGBT activists say transphobic s*** about Caitlyn Jenner now that they realized she's based and red pilled.  We don't care what you do in the bedroom, if you love America, we support you.  I hereby endorse Caitlyn Jenner for governor~!

What will Gavin Newsom do without the coveted "DabbingSanta endorsement?"  At this rate, he'll never win the Random Canadian Incel vote!  
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #585 on: May 04, 2021, 07:22:21 PM »

Watch all the peace loving LGBT activists say transphobic s*** about Caitlyn Jenner now that they realized she's based and red pilled.  We don't care what you do in the bedroom, if you love America, we support you.  I hereby endorse Caitlyn Jenner for governor~!

I've seen a lot of criticism by LGBTQ+ activists towards Jenner, but none of it has ever been inconsistent. Stop projecting.

What will Gavin Newsom do without the coveted "DabbingSanta endorsement?"  At this rate, he'll never win the Random Canadian Incel vote! 

That endorsement seems pretty easy to get. Just give him some reason to think that you, as a candidate, are going to validate his dislike of things "the left" does. So, really, just be a Republican.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #586 on: May 04, 2021, 07:37:17 PM »

It's insulting for Caitlyn to describe herself as "compassionate" or talk about government taking our freedom when she supports taking freedom away from transgender kids.  If she wanted publicity she should have gone on Rupaul's Drag Race and used the stage name "Catty Jacka$$."
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #587 on: May 04, 2021, 07:57:01 PM »

I thought you would endorse Newsom. He’s been the best governor when it comes to COVID!
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #588 on: May 04, 2021, 10:19:42 PM »

California Republicans and crazy campaign gimmicks? Granted, it did work for Ahnold.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #589 on: May 04, 2021, 10:33:16 PM »

California Republicans and crazy campaign gimmicks? Granted, it did work for Ahnold.
Say what you want about Ahnuld's term in office (and it wasn't good), but Governator was such a good gimmick, people voted for it twice.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #590 on: May 05, 2021, 09:44:00 AM »

Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #591 on: May 05, 2021, 09:48:24 AM »

IMO the recall will either fail by 15+ or succeed.  Would be most surprised if Newsom narrowly wins.  It's either a "normal" CA election or it isn't. 
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #592 on: May 05, 2021, 10:05:11 AM »

Cox is even more ridiculous than back in '18, lol. This recall will fail very badly and I enjoy watching these GOP clowns get slaughtered.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #593 on: May 05, 2021, 10:12:41 AM »

Watch all the peace loving LGBT activists say transphobic s*** about Caitlyn Jenner now that they realized she's based and red pilled.  We don't care what you do in the bedroom, if you love America, we support you.  I hereby endorse Caitlyn Jenner for governor~!

What will Gavin Newsom do without the coveted "DabbingSanta endorsement?"  At this rate, he'll never win the Random Canadian Incel vote!  

You're really just proving the point of how nasty the left can be. Calling someone you don't know an incel because you disagree with them...
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #594 on: May 05, 2021, 11:02:59 AM »

You're really just proving the point of how nasty the left can be. Calling someone you don't know an incel because you disagree with them...

More offended by calling incels what they are than: 1. illegal wars, 2. massive poverty cause by corrupt politicians, 3. anti-LGBTQ sentiment, 4. cops killing kids

Just enough with these pearl-clutching statements already. Look at the state of our nation's politics, "the left's" mean comments on BBS boards and social media are hardly the source of the problem. So listen up snowflake, steel yourself, plug up those tear holes, and learn to deal with a little bit of "nasty" because god knows no matter how nice their words are that liberals and conservatives policies are a lot nastier than anything someone could say, especially calling some totally debased online edgelord an incel lmao
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #595 on: May 05, 2021, 11:11:05 AM »

More offended by calling incels what they are than: 1. illegal wars, 2. massive poverty cause by corrupt politicians, 3. anti-LGBTQ sentiment, 4. cops killing kids

Just enough with these pearl-clutching statements already. Look at the state of our nation's politics, "the left's" mean comments on BBS boards and social media are hardly the source of the problem. So listen up snowflake, steel yourself, plug up those tear holes, and learn to deal with a little bit of "nasty" because god knows no matter how nice their words are that liberals and conservatives policies are a lot nastier than anything someone could say, especially calling some totally debased online edgelord an incel lmao

No, I'm not more offended by that than those things. That's something you projected onto me. Devolving into personal insults is not a way to have a conversation.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #596 on: May 05, 2021, 11:23:33 AM »

Tom Steyer would have been the better candidate for this recall not NEWSOM
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #597 on: May 05, 2021, 12:12:33 PM »

Animal rights group mad at Cox for the Bear on the campaign trail. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/bear-stunt-gop-governor-california-candidate_n_60927ea6e4b04620270e0695
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #598 on: May 05, 2021, 12:15:24 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2021, 12:22:35 PM by Anyone But Yang! »

I called him an Incel because he was literally using Incel terminology.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #599 on: May 05, 2021, 12:17:58 PM »

New SurveyUSA poll:

April 30-May 2, 642 RV, MoE: 5.3%

First question
47% Remain in office
36% Recall
17% Not sure

Second question
9% Cox
5% Grenell
5% Jenner
3% Faulconer
3% Mercuri
3% Moorlach
3% Cernovich
3% Williams
2% Ose
26% Undecided
38% Would not support any

https://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=e3ae1d7e-9d6e-44b2-b1f8-e51c51df9ea2
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies