CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:51:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 123955 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: April 28, 2021, 02:25:40 PM »

The recall power should be eliminated. America has far too many provisions which just entrench minority rule

This is not an American thing as the power only exists where Progressives circa 1910 gained power.

Both is correct. However, other countries allow certain officers to be recalled as well; some German states permit recalls for mayors.

Governors however should be elected for four years and the legislature should have the power to impeach in case of severe wrongdoings or criminal behavior. This recall here is a political stunt.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #551 on: April 28, 2021, 02:31:11 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2021, 02:44:40 PM by StateBoiler »

LA Times with a scathing editorial that they probably wrote back in January. Not that it's significant or anything, but it certainly restates some of my problems with this fever dream:

If Newsom survives the recall, state taxpayers will have spent as much as $400 million (in addition to the untold millions ponied up by campaign donors) on a special election that changed nothing.

The State of California via its Employment Development Department since the pandemic has started has admitted to paying out $31 billion in fraudulent unemployment insurance claims.

https://abc7news.com/california-edd-unemployment-fraud-ca-scam-insurance/10011810/

So to properly do scaling since a dollar is a dollar, for every 1 article the L.A. Times writes about the cost of the recall election, they should write 77 articles about the fraudulent unemployment insurance claims the state has paid out. I'll be nice and round down from 77.5.

https://calmatters.org/explainers/california-edd-unemployment-crisis-explained/

“This will be the largest fraud investigation in the history of America,” said Blake Hall, CEO of state identity verification contractor ID.me, “and it won’t even be close.”
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #552 on: April 28, 2021, 02:34:12 PM »
« Edited: April 28, 2021, 02:48:29 PM by StateBoiler »

The recall power should be eliminated. America has far too many provisions which just entrench minority rule

This is not an American thing as the power only exists where Progressives circa 1910 gained power.

Both is correct. However, other countries allow certain officers to be recalled as well; some German states permit recalls for mayors.

Governors however should be elected for four years and the legislature should have the power to impeach in case of severe wrongdoings or criminal behavior. This recall here is a political stunt.

Yeah, because impeachments are never political stunts.

This is the law. You don't like the law? Go get it changed. Go pass a constitutional amendment. Start a ballot initiative campaign. But only if you're a Californian, otherwise a lack of standing exists.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #553 on: April 28, 2021, 03:11:18 PM »

There definitely should be a recall option no matter what, and in fact it should be made much more easier for the benefit of the people. Representative government is supposed to represent all people after all, I don’t see why the elite should have the luxury to be able to just mount a recall campaign.

I’m sorry, but some people in this thread are getting too emotionally invested over a recall that is sure to fail. Something that can be positively spun as Republicans are wasting your taxdollars and state resources during a pandemic. Unless the recall results in strengthening R’s downballot in key races, there’s no reason to fuss over this.

You think I’m not angry that Kshama Sawant is being most likely recalled over trumped-up charges. I am, but I know that emotionally getting invested and being a victim of uselessly exhausting my emotional energy isn’t going to affect much. The solution here or there is to make recalls easier to occur so that scandalous Republicans can be more easily ran out of office. Anyway...

Can’t the GOP just wait for Hispanics to become more GOP-friendly than this charade? I mean I fail to see what this accomplishes other than p!$$ing off the Libs in a very expensive fashion.

So what’s the deal here? Is there a major downballot race coming up soon for the GOP to exploit or is this a sad, last-ditched attempt at getting attention?
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #554 on: April 29, 2021, 04:43:27 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2021, 03:42:41 PM by Josh Shapiro for Governor »

Yeah, Gavin will be perfectly fine.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-04-28/la-reopening-boosts-economy-covid-19-cases-plummet

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/04/28/california-has-lowest-covid-rate-in-america-heres-why/

This recall is such a waste of time. It's going to be hilarious when it fails by a landslide.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #555 on: April 29, 2021, 05:56:07 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2021, 09:49:44 PM by Monstro Doesn't Say Anything Interesting »

To the surprise of no one, it seems there's already conflict on the pro-recall side.

Sacramento Bee: Whose recall is it, anyway? Gavin Newsom’s California critics spar over money, credit

[...]After working for more than a year to qualify the recall for the ballot, the lead organizers of the Recall Gavin 2020 campaign are feuding with groups eager to raise money and send their own messages about getting rid of the governor.

The state Republican Party, the Republican Governors Association and several state political action committees are fundraising and promoting the recall. While organizers say they’re excited to see a wide swath of Californians join the cause, they worry the movement is being overtaken by the political establishment.

“We united the state under the one cause of recalling Gavin Newsom, which brought a lot of people together,” said Mike Netter, one of the leaders on the recall petition. “Now that it’s ready to hit the ballot, everybody’s jumping on the bandwagon to try to raise money and create publicity for themselves.”

Over the last few months, as the recall picked up steam and media attention, various individuals across California have launched their own campaigns, and asked voters to lend their voices, and bank accounts, to the cause.

Carl DeMaio, a San Diego Republican, is chair of Reform California, a political action committee that backs conservative initiatives in the Golden State. In the last several months, Reform California has encouraged its members to help it fight the recall and donate to the PAC.

Not everyone appreciates the support.

“There’s a lot of grifters that are coming through,” said Anne Dunsmore, campaign manager for Rescue California, which operates in partnership with the original committee, the Patriot Coalition.[...]

Lead recall proponent Orrin Heatlie and his fellow organizers were outraged to hear DeMaio weigh in. They suspect he’s trying to collect names from recall backers to build his own base of support.

“Forgive my profanity, but that mother------ had nothing to do with stopping that bill or voicing opposition here in Sacramento,” Heatlie said. “I am extremely upset. What the hell has this guy done for the recall?”

Recall organizers also took issue with another recall-supportive webpage, promoted by former GOP Assemblyman Travis Allen, who left office in 2018. The page is funded by the PAC Allen helped found, Take Back California, though he’s no longer involved with the committee.[...]

Heatlie said he donated to Travis’ effort in early 2020, and signed up under the impression that it was a legitimate recall petition. Only after further research did he realize his digital signature didn’t count.[...]

The debates are gonna be a sh*tshow.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article250961174.html#storylink=hpdigest_politics (Article may be behind a paywall)
jdk
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -0.68, S: -5.39

« Reply #556 on: April 29, 2021, 08:54:25 PM »

I'm voting no on recall and I'm fully confident it will fail.

I can't wait for R's to go crazy when this obviously dumb idea that they've been working on for months fails
Months?  It's been over two years... They started working on this the moment Newsom became governor
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #557 on: April 29, 2021, 08:57:36 PM »

I'm voting no on recall and I'm fully confident it will fail.

I can't wait for R's to go crazy when this obviously dumb idea that they've been working on for months fails
Months?  It's been over two years... They started working on this the moment Newsom became governor

The State R's have tried to recall the statewide Dems every time they can. The only reason they got the signatures this time is because more than the conservative hinterlands were angry, for a brief period of time, and Newsom was the convenient outlet for that anger.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #558 on: April 30, 2021, 09:11:58 AM »

LOL... let them argue over whom owns the inevitable defeat.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #559 on: May 01, 2021, 02:06:44 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2021, 02:15:51 AM by Monstro Doesn't Say Anything Interesting »

Only bringing this up because it's a local-ish story for me.

Press Enterprise: Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Hewitt to run in Newsom recall

Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Hewitt announced Friday night, April 30, that he will run for governor as a Libertarian in the upcoming recall election of Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Hewitt made the announcement before a crowd of at least 30 supporters gathered in downtown Riverside.

In an interview before speaking, Hewitt said he was running because “I’ve seen Riverside County shortchanged.” He cited the fact that the county doesn’t get its fair share of state funding and didn’t get enough coronavirus vaccine when doses were in short supply.

Hewitt’s campaign, he said, will feature a theme of “innovation overall.” Top priorities will include water, housing and education. Hewitt said he could balance his duties as a county supervisor with his campaign by skipping the ceremonial aspects of his current post.[...]

Hewitt previously formed an exploratory committee for a 2022 gubernatorial bid and said in early April he was open to running for governor next year or in a recall. If Newsom survives the recall, he would face re-election next year.

A former Calimesa mayor, Hewitt was elected in 2018 to represent the Board of Supervisors’ Fifth District, which includes the San Gorgonio Pass, Moreno Valley, Perris and Menifee. His upset win over former GOP Assemblyman Russ Bogh was lauded by the national Libertarian Party.

Hewitt is up for re-election in 2022, meaning he could run in the recall and not give up his supervisor seat.

As a supervisor, Hewitt has voted against most labor deals with county employee unions. He’s also been a critic of coronavirus business restrictions and tried unsuccessfully to get the county to forge its own reopening path.[...]

Hewitt also might face questions about a claim filed by a county employee who alleged Hewitt sexually harassed her during a visit to a Cherry Valley skilled nursing facility last May. That claim was settled for $50,000 in taxpayer funds.

Another claim, filed April 8 by a female ex-Hewitt staffer, accuses the supervisor and his chief of staff of “making disparaging and vulgar comments” and engaging in age and gender discrimination prior to the employee leaving county government. That claim is still pending, county spokeswoman Brooke Federico said.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #560 on: May 03, 2021, 02:54:04 AM »

Caitlyn Jenner opposes biological males competing in female athletic competitions.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #561 on: May 03, 2021, 04:22:29 AM »

Well, every Democratic governor not named Edmund Gerald Brown of the last 75 years has faced a recall election.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #562 on: May 03, 2021, 08:45:54 AM »

Well, every Democratic governor not named Edmund Gerald Brown of the last 75 years has faced a recall election.

Yup, it's kind of stunning there were so few Dem govs in the past 100 years, while Dems have controlled the state legislature ever since the 1970s.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #563 on: May 03, 2021, 12:51:40 PM »

Press Enterprise: Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Hewitt to run in Newsom recall

Riverside County Supervisor Jeff Hewitt announced Friday night, April 30, that he will run for governor as a Libertarian in the upcoming recall election of Gov. Gavin Newsom.

Hewitt made the announcement before a crowd of at least 30 supporters gathered in downtown Riverside.

In an interview before speaking, Hewitt said he was running because “I’ve seen Riverside County shortchanged.” He cited the fact that the county doesn’t get its fair share of state funding and didn’t get enough coronavirus vaccine when doses were in short supply.

Hewitt’s campaign, he said, will feature a theme of “innovation overall.” Top priorities will include water, housing and education. Hewitt said he could balance his duties as a county supervisor with his campaign by skipping the ceremonial aspects of his current post.[...]

Hewitt previously formed an exploratory committee for a 2022 gubernatorial bid and said in early April he was open to running for governor next year or in a recall. If Newsom survives the recall, he would face re-election next year.

A former Calimesa mayor, Hewitt was elected in 2018 to represent the Board of Supervisors’ Fifth District, which includes the San Gorgonio Pass, Moreno Valley, Perris and Menifee. His upset win over former GOP Assemblyman Russ Bogh was lauded by the national Libertarian Party.

Hewitt is up for re-election in 2022, meaning he could run in the recall and not give up his supervisor seat.

As a supervisor, Hewitt has voted against most labor deals with county employee unions. He’s also been a critic of coronavirus business restrictions and tried unsuccessfully to get the county to forge its own reopening path.[...]

Hewitt also might face questions about a claim filed by a county employee who alleged Hewitt sexually harassed her during a visit to a Cherry Valley skilled nursing facility last May. That claim was settled for $50,000 in taxpayer funds.

Another claim, filed April 8 by a female ex-Hewitt staffer, accuses the supervisor and his chief of staff of “making disparaging and vulgar comments” and engaging in age and gender discrimination prior to the employee leaving county government. That claim is still pending, county spokeswoman Brooke Federico said.

But why? he currently holds the balance of power for the board of supervisors, it's literally libertarian controlled.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #564 on: May 03, 2021, 02:30:14 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2021, 02:40:03 PM by Canis »

But why? he currently holds the balance of power for the board of supervisors, it's literally libertarian controlled.
Yeah, I don't understand either apparently he can still run for reelection 2022 after he loses though so maybe he's just trying to get a decent performance for the Libertarians. He is literally the most powerful Libertarian across the country rn he represents more than a Million people in Riverside county.

Also in some other Recall news John Cox has decided to do some interesting campaign rebranding by calling himself "The Beast"
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #565 on: May 03, 2021, 02:37:26 PM »

Lmao, Cox is a total trainwreck.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #566 on: May 03, 2021, 07:10:59 PM »

CA GOP.... What happened to you?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #567 on: May 03, 2021, 07:25:47 PM »

Gotta make himself more hyper-masculine cause he's not gonna out-Trump Grenell or any other potential trump-admin insider.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #568 on: May 03, 2021, 08:56:28 PM »

/Cox & bear

Par for the course, honestly.

The CA GOP are such a directionless clown show. This is why I was never scared of a recall. Not with them being the alternative. I wouldn't be surprised if this recall effort ends up hastening their downfall more than if the recall never happened. Their looniness under the biggest spotlight yet.

And we haven't even gotten to the debates. Oh God the debates.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #569 on: May 03, 2021, 09:43:12 PM »

/Cox & bear

The CA GOP are such a directionless clown show. This is why I was never scared of a recall. Not with them being the alternative. I wouldn't be surprised if this recall effort ends up hastening their downfall more than if the recall never happened. Their looniness under the biggest spotlight yet.

I honestly think the debates will help Newsom cause there will no doubt be two types: a Yes v No debate a la Brexit or the Scotland, and a successor debate. The successor debate will be a clown show...and who in the Yes camp is prominent or composed enough to go on the stage with Newsom? The separation harms the GOP.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #570 on: May 03, 2021, 09:49:22 PM »

Gotta make himself more hyper-masculine cause he's not gonna out-Trump Grenell or any other potential trump-admin insider.
Considering the last Republican to win a CA recall was a famed body-builder and macho actor, I guess it makes sense for him to do this.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #571 on: May 03, 2021, 10:06:05 PM »

This made my brain glitch
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #572 on: May 03, 2021, 10:33:21 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2021, 10:36:48 PM by Monstro Doesn't Say Anything Interesting »

/Cox & bear

I honestly think the debates will help Newsom cause there will no doubt be two types: a Yes v No debate a la Brexit or the Scotland, and a successor debate. The successor debate will be a clown show...and who in the Yes camp is prominent or composed enough to go on the stage with Newsom? The separation harms the GOP.

I came across the 2003 replacement debate sans-Davis, but did he ever have a townhall or debate that year to defend himself?

I'd expect one this year to go down like the 2018 primary debates, with Newsom laughing as the GOP fight about who's the toughest anti-vaxxer
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #573 on: May 03, 2021, 10:51:28 PM »

/Cox & bear

I came across the 2003 replacement debate sans-Davis, but did he ever have a townhall or debate that year to defend himself?

I'd expect one this year to go down like the 2018 primary debates, with Newsom laughing as the GOP fight about who's the toughest anti-vaxxer

I don't think Davis ever did, but that was a reflection of polling and perceptions. If all the attention and Democratic energy focuses on the Yes v No question than that's going to get the press focus.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #574 on: May 04, 2021, 12:39:19 PM »

This sounds like the kind of campaign gimmick that would've been quite the sensation in the 1890s.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies