CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 123970 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: April 23, 2021, 10:41:26 PM »
« edited: April 23, 2021, 11:42:23 PM by Monstro Doesn't Say Anything Interesting »

I will say, I'll laugh if Caitlyn Jenner ends up getting more votes than Ose, Cox, Grenell or Falconer
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #501 on: April 24, 2021, 07:24:51 PM »

Caitlyn Jenner might as well be Meghan McCain-someone who appeals to absolutely no one and seems to find a way to piss off every possible type of political demographic. I don't know if she knows this, and actually thinks she can win, but if so then it truly is entirely a vanity campaign. If we're lucky she'll be a footnote in this possible election like Kanye West was in 2020, in spite of their celebrity...and relationship to Kim Kardashian.

Is our politics just going become Six Degrees of Kardashian at this point? Trump even factors into that!

Kim Kardashian herself is now a billionaire. It's absolutely disgusting to me how that family has accumulated so much wealth and prominence over the past quarter-century, launched by their patriarch's role in the OJ Simpson trial.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #502 on: April 24, 2021, 07:39:51 PM »

I will say, I'll laugh if Caitlyn Jenner ends up getting more votes than Ose, Cox, Grenell or Falconer

She’d probably beat Ose

Endorsed. California did so well under the Terminator, I can only imagine we'd do even better under a Transformer.

(Have a sense of humor YE, for god's sake)

Lol
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #503 on: April 24, 2021, 08:13:06 PM »

Endorsed. California did so well under the Terminator, I can only imagine we'd do even better under a Transformer.

(Have a sense of humor YE, for god's sake)

Ah the old "This is satire" defense
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #504 on: April 24, 2021, 09:20:53 PM »

Given how fractured the republican field is, I think the one serious democrat running in the recall will get an all county sweep with pluraities or majorities in every country.

In other news.
https://abc7.com/health/california-reports-lowest-covid-19-case-rate-in-us-new-cdc-data-shows/10537721/
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #505 on: April 24, 2021, 10:18:30 PM »

Given how fractured the republican field is, I think the one serious democrat running in the recall will get an all county sweep with pluraities or majorities in every country.

There is no serious Democrat currently running in the recall, and there won't be. Gavin Newsom will not be on the same ballot as Doug Ose and Kevin Faulconer and John Cox and Caitlyn Jenner and all the other occupants of the clown car; there will be one question on the ballot asking whether to recall Newsom, and another asking whom to replace him with.

Caitlyn Jenner is not a serious candidate and will not get any meaningful share of the vote. That being said, if I were a California voter (I'm registered in Georgia although I'm currently physically in California), I would vote no on recall and for Caitlyn Jenner, since that would be the most embarrassing choice to Republicans.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #506 on: April 24, 2021, 10:30:08 PM »

There is no serious Democrat currently running in the recall, and there won't be. Gavin Newsom will not be on the same ballot as Doug Ose and Kevin Faulconer and John Cox and Caitlyn Jenner and all the other occupants of the clown car; there will be one question on the ballot asking whether to recall Newsom, and another asking whom to replace him with.

Caitlyn Jenner is not a serious candidate and will not get any meaningful share of the vote. That being said, if I were a California voter (I'm registered in Georgia although I'm currently physically in California), I would vote no on recall and for Caitlyn Jenner, since that would be the most embarrassing choice to Republicans.
Looks like for the first time since the 1960s a Republican will win San Francisco!
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #507 on: April 24, 2021, 11:01:08 PM »

I'm sure the democrats are going to send out one serious canidate, telling people just to vote no on the recall leaves room for disaster.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #508 on: April 24, 2021, 11:08:29 PM »

I'm sure the democrats are going to send out one serious canidate, telling people just to vote no on the recall leaves room for disaster.

They absolutely will not. Cruz Bustamante's slogan of "no on recall, yes on Bustamante" in 2003 was generally regarded as disastrous and will not be repeated.
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #509 on: April 24, 2021, 11:32:44 PM »

Didn’t she also, you know, kill someone?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #510 on: April 25, 2021, 10:55:09 AM »

Guess who has a better chance of becoming mayor of Eureka than Jenner does at becoming governor?
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #511 on: April 25, 2021, 03:48:33 PM »

Caitlyn Jenner might as well be Meghan McCain-someone who appeals to absolutely no one and seems to find a way to piss off every possible type of political demographic. I don't know if she knows this, and actually thinks she can win, but if so then it truly is entirely a vanity campaign. If we're lucky she'll be a footnote in this possible election like Kanye West was in 2020, in spite of their celebrity...and relationship to Kim Kardashian.

Is our politics just going become Six Degrees of Kardashian at this point? Trump even factors into that!

Why doesn't Jenner appeal to anyone? Explain. She was an U.S. Olympian....
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #512 on: April 25, 2021, 03:52:41 PM »

Pro-Trump Republican (doesn't appeal to Democrats) trans woman (doesn't appeal to Republicans) who also did some light vehicular manslaughter (doesn't appeal to independents).
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #513 on: April 25, 2021, 03:57:37 PM »

Guess who has a better chance of becoming mayor of Eureka than Jenner does at becoming governor?

Kevin de Leon?
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #514 on: April 25, 2021, 04:45:50 PM »

Kevin de Leon?
Correct!
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #515 on: April 25, 2021, 05:16:56 PM »

When I was a baby my Dad ran into Angelyne in the Trader Joe's parking lot and my Dad knew Angelyne from the music industry and apparently, she picked me up and I tried to breastfeed from her and was going all crazy while she was holding me. (nothing important from that story just thought it was funny)
If no major democrats declare (Which I doubt because if the recall passes with no democrat on the ballot that is a disaster waiting to happen) I'll probably vote for Faulconer as he seems like the Republican who would be the least horrible and he seems like he has enough executive experience to govern the state well. Or I might cast a joke vote for Angelyne in honor of my baby self hilariously going nuts trying to breastfeed from her in a trader joes parking lot 2 decades ago.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #516 on: April 25, 2021, 11:37:45 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2021, 07:05:40 PM by Calthrina950 »

I honestly hope the CAGOP doesn’t have a debate cause I’m sure one candidate would constantly misgender her on purpose

I've been reading comments on RRH Elections and City Data, and unsurprisingly, the main objection which they (Republicans or conservatives) have with Jenner is that she is transgender. Although not everyone within a single group shares the same views (obviously), I'm still somewhat perplexed by the increasing prominence of LGBT Republicans, at least as they have been publicized within the media. And as the vote on the Equality Act, as well as the "transgender sports" and "transgender bathroom" bills that have been introduced at the state level, make clear, the Republican Party as a whole remains hostile to their issues and concerns.

Expanding upon this, Democratic Rep. Karen Bass-who was on Biden's VP shortlist last year-appeared on ABC's This Week earlier today, and she said exactly the same thing as I was saying here: that Republicans aren't going to vote for a transgender candidate, and that anti-transgender legislation which they have passed elsewhere highlights this. And I've been reading more comments sections on conservative sites-this time on Townhall-and have seen more anti-Jenner comments predicated upon this basis.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #517 on: April 26, 2021, 08:25:48 AM »

Americans secretly fear Olympians, and their physical prowess.
AncestralDemocrat.
United States

« Reply #518 on: April 26, 2021, 05:09:59 PM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #519 on: April 26, 2021, 05:26:58 PM »

Given that CA has, what, 15M+ registered voters, it feels as though 1.5M seems like a very low threshold for a recall.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #520 on: April 26, 2021, 06:04:41 PM »

Given that CA has, what, 15M+ registered voters, it feels as though 1.5M seems like a very low threshold for a recall.
The recall and initiative guidelines were voted in place in 1911 and definitely should be updated I think Hiram Johnson had no clue how big the state would end up getting. I think it should probably be something like 25% of registered voters instead of 12 % of ballots cast in the last election especially with us having our elections in lower turnout midterms. I am a fan of having the ballot initiative process we have passed many laws it would take much longer to get through the state leg but it does have its downsides. and now its easy for corporations to buys laws (Prop 22 and 23)
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #521 on: April 26, 2021, 06:09:30 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2021, 06:14:11 PM by Monstro Doesn't Say Anything Interesting »

I guess I'm glad the presumptions can end. Although we've known for weeks now so not exactly climactic. The only thing that matters/mattered is when the votes are cast.

1.5 million is a very low threshold. Still, this recall would've never happened if it wasn't for the French Laundry incident happening within the 4 month extension window. I do worry that, unless some reforms are put in place, there'll be a serious GOP-led recall for every Democratic Governor in the near-future. Only a third of Trump 2016 voters are needed.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #522 on: April 26, 2021, 06:14:18 PM »

The recall and initiative guidelines were voted in place in 1911 and definitely should be updated I think Hiram Johnson had no clue how big the state would end up getting. I think it should probably be something like 25% of registered voters instead of 12 % of ballots cast in the last election especially with us having our elections in lower turnout midterms. I am a fan of having the ballot initiative process we have passed many laws it would take much longer to get through the state leg but it does have its downsides. and now its easy for corporations to buys laws (Prop 22 and 23)

That's an excellent reason to be *NOT* a big fan of ballot initiatives.

Pretty much all direct democracy "reforms" have been basically hijacked by political extremists and interests in order to push through policies that voters have barely thought about. Brexit is the biggest, most clear example of this but California's history of bad policies being pushed through the ballot should be warning enough.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #523 on: April 26, 2021, 06:14:54 PM »

1.5 million is a very low threshold. Still, this recall would've never happened if it wasn't for the French Laundry incident happening within the 4 month extension window. I do worry that, unless some reforms are put in place, there'll be a serious GOP-led recall for every Democratic Governor in the near-future. Only a third of Trump 2016 voters are needed.
Oh I hope there is, I'll need some income stream after Mike gets drawn out by a stacked commission.
On that note, wow, this is DOA. Shame, could've had someone good.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #524 on: April 26, 2021, 06:27:51 PM »

LA Times with a scathing editorial that they probably wrote back in January. Not that it's significant or anything, but it certainly restates some of my problems with this fever dream:

"And who can we thank for this miscarriage of the state’s direct democracy system? A small group of conservatives aided by a motley assortment of Donald J. Trump supporters, QAnon believers, anti-vaccine activists and COVID-19 deniers who seem to think that recalling Newsom will somehow lead to a far-right renaissance in this deeply blue state."

This recall never should have happened — and probably wouldn’t have gone forward at any other time. Even with the state’s generous recall petition circulation period of 160 days, the effort was lagging until a judge in November granted a four month extension. Another stroke of luck: Those four months corresponded with one the darkest periods of political discourse in the nation and the deadliest period of the COVID-19 pandemic. People were scared and angry and looking for someone to blame.

But this recall is not about Newsom’s handling of the pandemic, or at least it didn’t start out as one when it was launched in February 2020. All one has to do is read the small print of the recall petition (literally — it’s tiny) to understand that Newsom was targeted for governing like a California Democrat, which is what voters expected when they gave him an overwhelming victory in 2018.

The recall election might be good for the careers of a few candidates, but it won’t be great for Californians, who will have to endure what is likely to be months of invective, silliness and contentious debate in a year when they were supposed to get a break from all that. And for what? If Newsom survives the recall, state taxpayers will have spent as much as $400 million (in addition to the untold millions ponied up by campaign donors) on a special election that changed nothing. If he loses, he’ll be replaced by someone who hasn’t just led the most populous state in the nation through the worst crisis in recent history and who will instantly have to start running for the regularly scheduled gubernatorial primary a few months later. No matter how you cut it, in this election, Californians lose.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/story/2021-04-26/california-newsom-recall-nightmare-begins
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies