CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:32:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 123620 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: March 24, 2021, 12:01:49 PM »

Steyer running, making enough Dem voters feel comfortable voting YES for recall to succeed, and then winning b/c Republican voters split between Faulconer, Cox and Grenell would be a truly incredible self-own for the California GOP. As such, it's basically fated to happen at this point.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #401 on: March 24, 2021, 12:23:47 PM »

Steyer running, making enough Dem voters feel comfortable voting YES for recall to succeed, and then winning b/c Republican voters split between Faulconer, Cox and Grenell would be a truly incredible self-own for the California GOP. As such, it's basically fated to happen at this point.

The only way it would be any better is if Newsom could run in the replacement part of the election and win it with a plurality. But alas, he can’t.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #402 on: March 24, 2021, 12:47:01 PM »

Probolsky Research survey of CA:

Newsom fav/unfav: 42-39 (all California voters)
47-37 (likely recall voters)

Recall Q: 40% support recall, 46% oppose (all voters)

35% support recall, 52% oppose (likely recall voters)

https://www.probolskyresearch.com/2021/03/23/newsom-recall-poll/

Absenting a big scandal dropping Newsom will comfortably win.
Honestly think the race data there is the most interesting stuff, namely Latinos being 44.5% support to 41.4% oppose, and blacks being 18.8% support to 71.9% oppose. Really makes sense in the context of who's being hurt by Newsom's brownie point based covid rules.

I think also that there is a lot more partisanship among Black voters, leading them to be skeptical about a Republican-run recall. Latinos are more likely to be both/either conservative or far-left comparatively, so they are more comfortable with recalling Newsom because they don't see him as intrinsically "on their team."
Makes perfect sense, but still, 18.8% for recall is super high, from a study I found, 2003 recall support from Blacks was only 21%. I also personally know fellow Latinos, especially in LA, have had lots of problems with Covid, just due to the jobs and market they take part in, I don't have any black family to base how adverse the affect has been on them.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #403 on: March 24, 2021, 04:55:15 PM »

Governors Schwarzenegger & Steyer hold a bluntly honest, wide-ranging & frankly inspiring conversation concerning the perils & rewards of running for & being elected Governor in recall elections (colorized, circa 2024).
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #404 on: March 24, 2021, 05:46:02 PM »

I really hate to do this, but it sounds like we should watch the news tomorrow in regards to Gavin. My friend working in the Capitol won’t say anything further, but it doesn’t sound good.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #405 on: March 24, 2021, 06:26:26 PM »

Newsom isn't loved by D's in Cali, he is a DLC Dem that didn't give 600 bucks to non EIC tax filers which Steyer probably would have because everyone pays sales taxes.

Steyer should really run in Cali recall
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #406 on: March 24, 2021, 06:37:37 PM »

I really hate to do this, but it sounds like we should watch the news tomorrow in regards to Gavin. My friend working in the Capitol won’t say anything further, but it doesn’t sound good.

Tom Steyer's about to be the next Governor, isn't he?
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #407 on: March 24, 2021, 06:44:51 PM »

Some of the reporters I follow on Twitter say this is made up, and the article doesn’t exist. But if something bad is floating around out there, probably gets picked up soon
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #408 on: March 24, 2021, 06:57:38 PM »

Some of the reporters I follow on Twitter say this is made up, and the article doesn’t exist. But if something bad is floating around out there, probably gets picked up soon

If you're able to get into it, can you please explain what the "this" (some article?)/the "something bad" is?
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #409 on: March 24, 2021, 07:04:12 PM »

If you're able to get into it, can you please explain what the "this" (some article?)/the "something bad" is?
Or even the tweets. I suspect it’s something sexual (like when he screwed his campaign manager’s wife like 15 years ago), but I have no confirmation.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #410 on: March 24, 2021, 07:24:12 PM »

It's hilarious! But I don't know if Olawakandi has the capabilities to make a joke that good except on accident. No offense.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #411 on: March 24, 2021, 07:27:05 PM »

It's hilarious! But I don't know if Olawakandi has the capabilities to make a joke that good except on accident. No offense.

It definitely was a solid joke either way.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #412 on: March 24, 2021, 07:32:07 PM »

I have no idea what the article is lol. The twitterer in question was actually an in-the-know Sac person rather than a reporter

ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #413 on: March 24, 2021, 07:41:20 PM »

And this sir, is the into I like to see. Thank you for your contribution, and as such, I'll give my own. I've been informed by Assemblywoman Martinez Valladares that 2 SoCal Dem Assemblymen have been making the rounds and testing the water for a run.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #414 on: March 24, 2021, 07:46:54 PM »

And this sir, is the into I like to see. Thank you for your contribution, and as such, I'll give my own. I've been informed by Assemblywoman Martinez Valladares that 2 SoCal Dem Assemblymen have been making the rounds and testing the water for a run.
Interesting; that may be how my source heard about it as well. He heard it from his boss who shall remain unnamed.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #415 on: March 24, 2021, 07:48:28 PM »

Lol what SoCal Assemblymen (assuming they’re men) have the juice to try something like this
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #416 on: March 24, 2021, 07:52:27 PM »

Lol what SoCal Assemblymen (assuming they’re men) have the juice to try something like this
She used "he" pronouns, said "a couple" more than once, and said they took the plane with her, at least once. If anyone could figure it out based off that, please, have at it.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #417 on: March 24, 2021, 07:58:46 PM »

Aight its investigation time
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #418 on: March 24, 2021, 08:04:41 PM »

She used "he" pronouns, said "a couple" more than once, and said they took the plane with her, at least once. If anyone could figure it out based off that, please, have at it.

You know what, I’m gonna play this. So Assemblywoman Martinez Valladares lives in Santa Clarita, so I’m guessing she’d be using either LAX or perhaps more likely, Burbank.

Chris Holden, Adrin Nazarian, and Ed Chau are my prime suspects. They’ve all been in office since 2012. The first two would be especially likely to use Burbank.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #419 on: March 24, 2021, 08:13:27 PM »

You know what, I’m gonna play this. So Assemblywoman Martinez Valladares lives in Santa Clarita, so I’m guessing she’d be using either LAX or perhaps more likely, Burbank.

Chris Holden, Adrin Nazarian, and Ed Chau are my prime suspects. They’ve all been in office since 2012. The first two would be especially likely to use Burbank.
My only question is, do they get like pay for taking a smaller plane up, would they charter one together? "A couple of the Assemblymen I fly up to Sacramento with", iirc that was the wording, all in the context of dems running. In my mind it was some regular flight from LAX, but honestly might be too "low"  for them. Burbank makes lots of sense though, less hassle certainly.
Looking at your 3 picks, Holden had his Wikipedia page edited in late December, Chau in late January, and Nazarian in June of 2018. His is written the most like campaign excerpts though. Thought if any had super recent edits it'd help point us.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #420 on: March 24, 2021, 08:20:54 PM »

My only question is, do they get like pay for taking a smaller plane up, would they charter one together? "A couple of the Assemblymen I fly up to Sacramento with", iirc that was the wording, all in the context of dems running. In my mind it was some regular flight from LAX, but honestly might be too "low"  for them. Burbank makes lots of sense though, less hassle certainly.
Looking at your 3 picks, Holden had his Wikipedia page edited in late December, Chau in late January, and Nazarian in June of 2018. His is written the most like campaign excerpts though. Thought if any had super recent edits it'd help point us.

From what my friend has told me about their job, I don’t think lawmakers flying coach from Burbank or LAX is that big of an issue. It’s only like an hour long flight.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #421 on: March 24, 2021, 08:21:54 PM »

My only question is, do they get like pay for taking a smaller plane up, would they charter one together? "A couple of the Assemblymen I fly up to Sacramento with", iirc that was the wording, all in the context of dems running. In my mind it was some regular flight from LAX, but honestly might be too "low"  for them. Burbank makes lots of sense though, less hassle certainly.

My friend schedules a lot of commercial flights, so I don’t think lawmakers flying coach from Burbank or LAX is that big of an issue. It’s only like an hour long flight.
Yeah I didn't think so, but still, knowing people, they could get some importance stuck in their head.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #422 on: March 24, 2021, 08:26:32 PM »

My friend schedules a lot of commercial flights, so I don’t think lawmakers flying coach from Burbank or LAX is that big of an issue. It’s only like an hour long flight.
Yeah I didn't think so, but still, knowing people, they could get some importance stuck in their head.

Totally fair. I think that a statewide official would probably fly private in general, but from what I hear, state legislators generally don’t.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #423 on: March 24, 2021, 08:27:08 PM »

Looking online, Chris Holden has specifically said he opposes the recall. Nazarian and Chau have both praised Newsom really highly on social media recently. Obv that doesn't rule out a No On Recall, Yes On Bustamante situation, but given how this is breaking down on pro-and-anti-Newsom lines, might suggest something.

So far (halfway through the 20 SoCal Dem Assemblymen) the most likely person is Richard Bloom of Santa Monica.
Bakersfield Uber Alles
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #424 on: March 24, 2021, 08:30:31 PM »

Looking online, Chris Holden has specifically said he opposes the recall. Nazarian and Chau have both praised Newsom really highly on social media recently. Obv that doesn't rule out a No On Recall, Yes On Bustamante situation, but given how this is breaking down on pro-and-anti-Newsom lines, might suggest something.

So far (halfway through the 20 SoCal Dem Assemblymen) the most likely person is Richard Bloom of Santa Monica.

I had thought about Bloom, but he seems like he would be far more likely to use LAX. Now, that doesn’t mean that Assm. woman M-V doesn’t use LAX, but I would bet that she uses Burbank because LA area traffic is of course infamous.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies