CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:09:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 123847 times)
Shaula🏳️‍⚧️
The Pieman
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2450 on: March 03, 2022, 04:49:55 PM »

I guess that turnout for this race will be low on both sides after what happened with the recall.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

P P P

« Reply #2451 on: March 05, 2022, 01:21:18 PM »

One race that will definitely be one to watch is the race for AG. Crime is one of the top issues in California today.
 The New AG Rob Bonta was recently appointed has been running as a progressive so far and in my opinion, has been doing a decent job so far.

Anne Marie Schubert is the Sacramento DA is running as an independent she was responsible for prosecuting the golden state killer shes running a tough on crime campaign but has been keeping her campaign out of hot-button partisan issues and has been endorsed by dozens of DA's, judges, and Sheriffs. If she makes the runoff she will definitely be the most dangerous opponent for Bonta as Poizner showed in 2018 NPP candidates can outrun R's by quite a lot.

Nathan Hochman is a former US Assistant Attorney General and has been endorsed by Pete Wilson Steven Cooley and most of the CA GOP. Hochman seems to be running a strong campaign for a republican but with California, partisan lean Bonta should be fine if he makes the runoff though Hochman might do better than your average R.

Steven Bailey and Eric Early are also back from 2018 I don't expect either of them to do too well but they may end up playing spoiler by splitting the Republican vote and allowing Schubert to make the top 2.

How do yall see the race playing out? and if Schubert makes the top two could Bonta lose? Im backing Bonta regardless of his opponent I'm pretty happy with the job he's done so far.

Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2452 on: March 11, 2022, 03:16:48 AM »

Faulconer is officially out

Looks like the stage is set for this to be a Newsom vs Dahle Showdown.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/10/newsom-recall-2022-california-governors-race-00016417
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2453 on: March 12, 2022, 03:18:56 PM »

Faulconer is officially out

Looks like the stage is set for this to be a Newsom vs Dahle Showdown.
https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/10/newsom-recall-2022-california-governors-race-00016417

Would actually be hilarious if Newsom faces some random guy who nobody ever heard of and who never held any political office.
Duke of York

« Reply #2454 on: March 12, 2022, 03:48:05 PM »

Isn't Brian Dahle a state senator still running for governor?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #2455 on: March 12, 2022, 10:51:48 PM »

Dahle is still in and the only Republican with name recognition in the race.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2456 on: March 13, 2022, 09:19:47 AM »

The state GOP has basically been emasculated by the recall, at least for 2022. Do a bit of digging and you'll find articles to describing how they halfheartedly are looking far down the ballot for targets and defenses. It's weirdly would be one of the best times for a primary challenge - as I theorized during the recall since the state GOP would be out of steam, the challenger could have a shot at the second runoff slot - but Dahle is the only non-Newsom candidate from any party with any seriousness.
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2457 on: March 13, 2022, 06:53:36 PM »

The state GOP has basically been emasculated by the recall, at least for 2022. Do a bit of digging and you'll find articles to describing how they halfheartedly are looking far down the ballot for targets and defenses. It's weirdly would be one of the best times for a primary challenge - as I theorized during the recall since the state GOP would be out of steam, the challenger could have a shot at the second runoff slot - but Dahle is the only non-Newsom candidate from any party with any seriousness.
Yeah, the recall made it clear that beating Newsom just ain't gonna happen GOP donors don't want to set any more money on Fire. Looks like the CA GOP's resources are gonna be used to mostly defend incumbents in congress and the state legislature and also go after some local nonpartisan races. Here in LA county they've been fundraising for scandal-ridden sheriff Alex Villanueva and trying to get the 3rd or 4th recall attempt on DA George Gascon on the ballot.

California is pretty much a three-party system at this point with the Progressive Dems, the Moderate Dems and the Republicans now.
I’m not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2458 on: March 13, 2022, 07:04:55 PM »

Does Newsom likely face Dahle?
gerritcole
goatofalltrades

« Reply #2459 on: March 14, 2022, 11:43:47 AM »

California is pretty much a three-party system at this point with the Progressive Dems, the Moderate Dems and the Republicans now.
[/quote]

CA has more registered independents than republicans
Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2460 on: March 14, 2022, 11:58:11 AM »

[/quote]
It briefly did Republicans have slightly more now
https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/report-registration/154day-primary-2022
Democrats
46.7%

Republicans
23.95%

No Party Preferance
22.9%
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2461 on: March 14, 2022, 02:27:07 PM »

It briefly did Republicans have slightly more now
https://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/report-registration/154day-primary-2022
Democrats
46.7%

Republicans
23.95%

No Party Preferance
22.9%

Wonder what the raw numbers were back when I > R
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #2462 on: March 15, 2022, 08:03:47 PM »

Unofficial statewide candidate list in California.

Canis
canis
YaBB God

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2463 on: March 16, 2022, 07:15:34 PM »

Controllers also gonna be one to watch
Ron Galprien is LA city's controller and he's been endorsed by pretty much all the local Dem politicians here.
Malia Cohen has been endorsed by the CA democratic party and is the most progressive candidate in the race shes who I'm most likely voting for.
Steve Glazer hopped in at the last minute he's one of the most moderate dem state senators he was part of the effort to kill calcare.
The mayor of Monterey is also in the race I don't expect her to be a significant player at all she doesn't have any endorsements or money and is running as a moderate.
Theirs only one R in the race so the rs have a good chance of making the runoff which is a fractured field but I also think a Galprien Cohen runoff is not completely out of the realms of possibility.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #2464 on: April 06, 2022, 06:06:00 PM »

In regards to the AG race, I feel this is gonna be a repeated talking point between now and November:

LA Times: A D.A. issued dire warnings about the Sacramento gun battle suspect. He was released early from prison anyway

The man arrested for possessing a machine gun at the scene of Sunday’s deadly shooting in Sacramento was allowed to leave prison in February despite opposition from the county’s district attorney to his early release.[...]

Almost exactly a year ago, Dist. Atty. Anne Marie Schubert’s office opposed Smiley Martin’s release from state prison to the Board of Parole Hearings in a two-page letter, first reported by the Sacramento Bee. The district attorney’s office asked that he not be freed because he is a career criminal and a danger to the community. Schubert released the letter after a records request but would not comment further.

“Inmate Martin has, for his entire adult life, displayed a pattern of criminal behavior,” wrote Deputy Dist. Atty Danielle Abildgaard. “While the current case on review may not be ‘violent’ under the Penal Code, Inmate Martin’s criminal conduct is violent and lengthy.[...]

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation officials said the Board of Parole Hearings denied Martin parole under nonviolent parole review in May 2021, but he was later released in February 2022.

He had entered the state prison system in January 2018 with a 10-year sentence. But CDCR officials said prior to reaching a CDCR facility, Martin had already received 508 days of pre-sentencing credits, and received a variety of additional post-sentencing credits and hence was let go early this year, having served his sentence.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-04-05/sacramento-shooting-suspect-got-out-of-prison-early-despite-da-opposition
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2465 on: April 06, 2022, 06:09:46 PM »

In regards to the AG race, I feel this is gonna be a repeated talking point between now and November:

LA Times: A D.A. issued dire warnings about the Sacramento gun battle suspect. He was released early from prison anyway

The man arrested for possessing a machine gun at the scene of Sunday’s deadly shooting in Sacramento was allowed to leave prison in February despite opposition from the county’s district attorney to his early release.[...]

Almost exactly a year ago, Dist. Atty. Anne Marie Schubert’s office opposed Smiley Martin’s release from state prison to the Board of Parole Hearings in a two-page letter, first reported by the Sacramento Bee. The district attorney’s office asked that he not be freed because he is a career criminal and a danger to the community. Schubert released the letter after a records request but would not comment further.

“Inmate Martin has, for his entire adult life, displayed a pattern of criminal behavior,” wrote Deputy Dist. Atty Danielle Abildgaard. “While the current case on review may not be ‘violent’ under the Penal Code, Inmate Martin’s criminal conduct is violent and lengthy.[...]

California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation officials said the Board of Parole Hearings denied Martin parole under nonviolent parole review in May 2021, but he was later released in February 2022.

He had entered the state prison system in January 2018 with a 10-year sentence. But CDCR officials said prior to reaching a CDCR facility, Martin had already received 508 days of pre-sentencing credits, and received a variety of additional post-sentencing credits and hence was let go early this year, having served his sentence.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-04-05/sacramento-shooting-suspect-got-out-of-prison-early-despite-da-opposition

I don’t know that it could really be used against anyone, but it definitely could help Schubert.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2466 on: April 06, 2022, 06:59:00 PM »

That's what I was implying
LDP Everywhere
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2467 on: May 14, 2022, 07:07:57 AM »

It looks like the American Independent Party isn’t doing their usual thing this year of supporting the most right wing Republicans. Anyone know why?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2468 on: May 14, 2022, 04:53:24 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2022, 05:08:52 PM by Mr.Barkari Sellers »

Vote for Rick Caruso, Bass is outta luck
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2469 on: May 17, 2022, 10:44:45 PM »

I see that the CAGOP, with characteristic wisdom, are supporting as their gubernatorial candidate…a state senator from Lassen County.

An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2470 on: May 17, 2022, 10:55:13 PM »

I see that the CAGOP, with characteristic wisdom, are supporting as their gubernatorial candidate…a state senator from Lassen County.

My state senator. Bleh. Glad I won’t be in an abomination of a district that stretches from the Sac metro area to Oregon after this election.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2471 on: May 20, 2022, 02:36:25 PM »

You can almost track the trajectory of the CAGOP just by their gubernatorial candidates:

2006: Incumbent Governor from Los Angeles
2010: Businesswoman from Silicon Valley
2014: Investment banker from Orange County
2018: Businessman from Orange County
2022: State Sen. from Lassen County
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2472 on: May 22, 2022, 03:38:54 PM »

You can almost track the trajectory of the CAGOP just by their gubernatorial candidates:

By the same token for Dems:

2006: State Treasurer from LA..
2010: Former Governor from the Bay Area (East Bay)
2014: Re-Election
2018: Lt. Governor from the Bay Area (SF)
2022: Re-election

So 2026...hmmm, which Bay Area sort will it be this time?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #2473 on: May 22, 2022, 03:42:08 PM »

Eleni Kounalakis, London Breed, Fiona Ma or Rob Bonta?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2474 on: May 23, 2022, 09:04:50 AM »

Eleni Kounalakis, London Breed, Fiona Ma or Rob Bonta?

Yup, but remove Breed from the list. I think she's more likely to replace DiFi in 2024.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 96 97 98 [99] 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies