CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:00:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 124002 times)
AltWorlder

Political Matrix
E: -3.35, S: 3.83

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 26, 2021, 02:30:36 PM »

This might be a troll, but venture capitalist Chamath Palihapitiya has thrown his hat into the ring if Newsom is recalled

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamath_Palihapitiya
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: January 26, 2021, 02:38:35 PM »

This might be a troll, but venture capitalist Chamath Palihapitiya has thrown his hat into the ring if Newsom is recalled

Sounds like the Vermin Supreme of this election.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #202 on: January 26, 2021, 04:15:26 PM »

Sounds like the Vermin Supreme of this election.

Not really. Andrew Yang would be the obvious comparison, but Palihapitiya is an actual billionaire and is more akin to a Michael Bloomberg or Ross Perot figure.

The CNBC segment did reach some notoriety with him bashing airline bailouts.

First news article:

Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #203 on: January 26, 2021, 08:29:10 PM »

Interesting platform. If Meg Whitman, Carly Fiorina, and Al Checchi are any examples, doubt money alone can get him where he needs to go. Guess we'll see.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #204 on: January 26, 2021, 09:08:15 PM »

In retrospect, I probably should've said Tom Steyer instead of Perot. The latter had national ambitions and sweeping policies to boot. Steyer's "bleeding-heart hedge manager" act is more like what Chamath is doing.
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #205 on: January 28, 2021, 06:34:11 PM »

Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #206 on: January 28, 2021, 08:53:18 PM »

Is this your attempt of trying to make Chamath Palihapitiya an Atlas meme?
AltWorlder

Political Matrix

« Reply #207 on: January 28, 2021, 09:35:51 PM »

I'm raising awareness. Tom Steyer and Joe Sanberg are being boring and not backing the quixotic recall effort so some other billionaire pretending to be a progressive needs to step in.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #208 on: January 28, 2021, 10:43:32 PM »

The other day I came very close to signing the recall petition when it was rumored that Newsom may be changing the metrics for the (already messed up) vaccination effort. If he goes through with it, I want him gone and I don't care who takes over...
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #209 on: January 28, 2021, 10:46:15 PM »

The other day I came very close to signing the recall petition when it was rumored that Newsom may be changing the metrics for the (already messed up) vaccination effort. If he goes through with it, I want him gone and I don't care who takes over...

...Who would you like to see take over?
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

« Reply #210 on: January 28, 2021, 10:51:53 PM »

...Who would you like to see take over?

I'd have to see who runs. Despite having a pretty deep bench, I am not overly impressed with most of the names being bandied about as a possible successor to Newsom.

Can Jerry Brown come back? Term limits be damned. Haha.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #211 on: January 29, 2021, 03:02:33 PM »

I'm raising awareness. Tom Steyer and Joe Sanberg are being boring and not backing the quixotic recall effort so some other billionaire pretending to be a progressive needs to step in.
https://twitter.com/rpyers/status/1354859039985811457
Considering the 84.4% rate at which signatures are verified, this would give recall 1.1 million sigs, with rates of collection ramping up, and a whole month and half left over, it's looking like there might actually be good odds for this making it onto the ballot. This of course says nothing about Newsom actually losing the recall vote.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #212 on: January 29, 2021, 05:39:13 PM »

History would say that the LG is the odds-on favored Dem candidate if the recall makes the ballot. The issue is that Gavin has been too much of a spotlight hog to let Kounalakis do anything, so she doesn’t have much of a statewide profile. So, I’m not really sure what would happen.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #213 on: January 29, 2021, 06:23:35 PM »

History would say that the LG is the odds-on favored Dem candidate if the recall makes the ballot. The issue is that Gavin has been too much of a spotlight hog to let Kounalakis do anything, so she doesn’t have much of a statewide profile. So, I’m not really sure what would happen.

Would Kounalakis even run in the recall? Seems to me that high-profile Dems (even her) would probably be more incentivized to just line-up behind Newsom & not run so as to undermine the recall's legitimacy.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #214 on: January 29, 2021, 06:50:46 PM »

Would Kounalakis even run in the recall? Seems to me that high-profile Dems (even her) would probably be more incentivized to just line-up behind Newsom & not run so as to undermine the recall's legitimacy.
Aha! You've found the exact same logic used in 2003! That is, until the power hungry players of the bloodsport that is California poltics decided they had a chance, and No on Recall, Yes on Bustamante became a thing.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: January 29, 2021, 08:53:26 PM »

Aha! You've found the exact same logic used in 2003! That is, until the power hungry players of the bloodsport that is California poltics decided they had a chance, and No on Recall, Yes on Bustamante became a thing.

My wormy doomer brain is imagining, like,

GARCETTI FOR GOVERNOR
HOPEFULLY NOT. BUT JUST IN CASE!
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #216 on: January 29, 2021, 08:57:24 PM »

Just popping in to say that Kounalakis has absolutely no profile and would not be the "mainstream Dem" choice in a recall election.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: January 29, 2021, 09:12:15 PM »

Kounalakis, Ma, and Yee have all kindasorta (jokingly? who knows) expressed interest in Gov runs before. I'm tempted to say Yee has the most profile just because she's been around the longest, but none of them have close to the profile Gavin or even Villaraigosa had last time.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #218 on: January 30, 2021, 12:46:53 PM »

Former San Francisco Giants player Audrey Huff may run as well:

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #219 on: January 30, 2021, 12:49:55 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2021, 12:53:56 PM by Suburbia »

California is a blue state, hasn't elected a Republican governor since 2006.

However rising star Gov. Gavin Newsom has problems with the virus, economic decline, etc.

Former SF Giants player Aubrey Huff is considering a run: more celebrities will run for office now anyway.....

Former San Diego mayor Kevin Faulconer may be too moderate for the GOP base.

Hockey legend Wayne Gretzky could run, but probably does not want to tarnish his squeaky-clean image.

For the Democrats, some celebrity could challenge Newsom on the left, especially on homelessness. Danny Glover should consider it.

Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #220 on: January 30, 2021, 12:53:14 PM »

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=391670.0

^^^^^^^
Mods please merge
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #221 on: January 30, 2021, 01:02:01 PM »

Kounalakis, Ma, and Yee have all kindasorta (jokingly? who knows) expressed interest in Gov runs before. I'm tempted to say Yee has the most profile just because she's been around the longest, but none of them have close to the profile Gavin or even Villaraigosa had last time.

Let's be honest, a row official probably couldn't pull it off. You need to look to congress and the mayors to find someone with a plausible shot at victory.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #222 on: January 30, 2021, 01:54:55 PM »

Let's be honest, a row official probably couldn't pull it off. You need to look to congress and the mayors to find someone with a plausible shot at victory.

What about John Chiang? He'd probably do the best job.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #223 on: January 30, 2021, 01:59:41 PM »

I’d love to have Chiang. I voted for him in the primary. Idk if he’d run though, but I think he’d be a competent administrator.
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #224 on: January 30, 2021, 02:03:46 PM »

I’d love to have Chiang. I voted for him in the primary. Idk if he’d run though, but I think he’d be a competent administrator.

pretty sure he still has an active PAC, if I was him I'd run in the recall were it to happen. What's the downside? Unless he's planning to run for something else in the future he won't be burning bridges.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies