CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 04:53:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 128274 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1350 on: September 10, 2021, 05:14:05 AM »

Total ballots returned = 7,066,468
Dems 3,736,283 (52.9%)
Reps 1,735,670 (24.6%)
Ind/Other 1,594,515 (22.5%)

Turnout = Dems (36%), Reps (32%), Ind/Other (24%)

Total ballots returned = 7,327,713
Dems 3,852,837 (52.6%)
Reps 1,819,002 (24.8%)
Ind/Other 1,655,874 (22.6%)

Turnout = Dems (37%) Reps (34%), Ind/Other (25%)
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1351 on: September 10, 2021, 09:54:42 AM »

Could Paffrath finish second in the 2022 primary?
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #1352 on: September 10, 2021, 10:25:36 AM »

Could Paffrath finish second in the 2022 primary?

The only reason Paffrath is even mentioned because SurveyUSA decided to include him as the only democrat. Other polls including all dems have him in the low single digits.

Once this recall is done nobody will care about Paffrath anymore.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1353 on: September 10, 2021, 10:29:34 AM »

This is  not going to be close.

At this point, it's looking like Newsom is going to win the recall by a margin of at least 20%, comparable to his 2018 victory. What a failure this has been for Republicans.
Pedocon Theory is not a theory
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.61

P

« Reply #1354 on: September 10, 2021, 11:16:26 AM »

Crosstabs.

The LA-area underperformance that some were talking about appears to have failed to materialize.

Comparing recall voter intention with approvals, seems like not pulling a 2003 and letting Elder continue hitting himself in the face has brought home a big chunk of Dem-leaning liberals and young people who are otherwise more lukewarm on his performance.

Net No vote, less Net approval

Ideology (Con -> Lib)
0/+7/+14/+15/+17
Age (Young -> Old)
+25/+17/+12/+8/+5

Oh, ye of little faith who thought Dems should have run an actual candidate. Gaze upon these crosstabs and despair.
CityofSinners
Rookie

« Reply #1355 on: September 10, 2021, 11:35:50 AM »

I think we all agree CA republicans didn't run their best campaign. I wonder though how much that mattered.
Imagine CA republicans ran the in your opinion perfect campaign. How much better would they do?

My guess would be 5 percentage points. This recall was all about Newsom. Even a perfect campaign would just have gotten some voters who disapprove of Newsom but hate Elders even more.
Cyrusman
« Reply #1356 on: September 10, 2021, 11:38:03 AM »

Why or how exactly did a state race like this get nationalized? Why is this so much more nationalized  that the NJ or VA race?
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #1357 on: September 10, 2021, 11:56:01 AM »

At this point, it's looking like Newsom is going to win the recall by a margin of at least 20%, comparable to his 2018 victory. What a failure this has been for Republicans.
I mean, at least dems had to hard outspend us, but since money is basically unlimited now, its not like that matters.
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #1358 on: September 10, 2021, 12:16:09 PM »

I mean, at least dems had to hard outspend us, but since money is basically unlimited now, its not like that matters.
I don’t think Republicans would have won even if we outspent the Democrats. The moment Elder became the frontrunner replacement candidate, that was it.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #1359 on: September 10, 2021, 12:56:32 PM »

Why or how exactly did a state race like this get nationalized? Why is this so much more nationalized  that the NJ or VA race?

It was the Republicans. They literally shot themselves in the foot. Not that they ever had a chance, but The whole thing’s been pretty funny.
Cyrusman
« Reply #1360 on: September 10, 2021, 02:16:21 PM »

It was the Republicans. They literally shot themselves in the foot. Not that they ever had a chance, but The whole thing’s been pretty funny.

Can you explain how republicans nationalized this? It seems to me that Newsom team consisntely had non California politicians all over the news.

Also you realize anyone the GOP would have had as the front runner would have been tabled all the same things they did to elder right?
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1361 on: September 10, 2021, 05:02:40 PM »

Can you explain how republicans nationalized this? It seems to me that Newsom team consisntely had non California politicians all over the news.

Also you realize anyone the GOP would have had as the front runner would have been tabled all the same things they did to elder right?

You answered your own question. The CAGOP dug its own grave and laid down in it years ago. There are precisely zero Republicans who can win California with a similar platform to the national GOP, but that's exactly what CA Republicans keep clamoring for.

Faulconer had the faintest glimmer of a chance because he hadn't drunk the Kool-Aid, and the second he started getting flak from his right flank he folded himself into a pretzel and abandoned all hope of getting any votes outside the GOP, which, mind you, is a whopping 25% of Californians.

It's the exact same story over and over and over and over again ad nauseum. The CAGOP's single brain cell realizes they can't win with Trumpism, and then is excised by the rest of the party because they're too drunk on the national GOP's Kool-Aid. Repeat until all the brain cells are gone and you have a superminority in both chambers and haven't won a row office in 10 years because your rapidly shrinking base has zero self-awareness.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1362 on: September 10, 2021, 05:13:20 PM »

Why or how exactly did a state race like this get nationalized? Why is this so much more nationalized  that the NJ or VA race?

You answered your own question. The CAGOP dug its own grave and laid down in it years ago. There are precisely zero Republicans who can win California with a similar platform to the national GOP, but that's exactly what CA Republicans keep clamoring for.

Faulconer had the faintest glimmer of a chance because he hadn't drunk the Kool-Aid, and the second he started getting flak from his right flank he folded himself into a pretzel and abandoned all hope of getting any votes outside the GOP, which, mind you, is a whopping 25% of Californians.

It's the exact same story over and over and over and over again ad nauseum. The CAGOP's single brain cell realizes they can't win with Trumpism, and then is excised by the rest of the party because they're too drunk on the national GOP's Kool-Aid. Repeat until all the brain cells are gone and you have a superminority in both chambers and haven't won a row office in 10 years because your rapidly shrinking base has zero self-awareness.

Size is also something to remember here. Trump still got 6 million votes. Sure that is horrible percentage-wise, but when it comes to conventions or party gatherings, that's still a sizable force that can produce plenty of fire and fury if desired. Its not like in Massachusetts if you want to hold a MAGA group event in front of Boston city hall and get 20 people. If you hold something in LA with a similar intent you'll get a crowd driving in from their various abodes.
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #1363 on: September 10, 2021, 05:19:56 PM »

Same thing happened to Chad Mayes, he got pushed out of his position as minority leader in 2017 for being too sensible and was so relentlessly hounded by the base for his rational critiques of the party's strategy in the state that he switched to Independent in 2019.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1364 on: September 10, 2021, 05:36:29 PM »

What were the things they did to Elder? Point to his past history of extreme statements and demonstrate that his views were entirely unlike the median California voter? You seem very aggrieved by this whole election process and I can't understand what about this you think was unfair to Republicans.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1365 on: September 10, 2021, 05:48:36 PM »

I pointed this out in another thread, but in this case with Elder as the leading candidate and so prominently believing in the abolition of the minimum wage, it completely undermines the very point that the California GOP ostensibly had to establish the recall. The big criticism of California under Democratic leadership is the cost of living; and you cannot blame the average Californian, especially if they're loyal Democrats, to become galvanized against a candidate who would say that. How does it make any sense for Californians to be more financially well-off without a minimum wage? Forget Elder's personal foibles, this, plus the state's natural partisan lean, made this electoral pursuit doomed and feel like a pointless waste of time and resources.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1366 on: September 10, 2021, 05:49:27 PM »

Such a long shot anyways and then Texas bans abortion. I mean, it’s almost like the Republicans don’t know that when they get what they want it pisses off most people.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1367 on: September 10, 2021, 06:06:47 PM »

Why or how exactly did a state race like this get nationalized? Why is this so much more nationalized  that the NJ or VA race?

I pointed this out in another thread, but in this case with Elder as the leading candidate and so prominently believing in the abolition of the minimum wage, it completely undermines the very point that the California GOP ostensibly had to establish the recall. The big criticism of California under Democratic leadership is the cost of living; and you cannot blame the average Californian, especially if they're loyal Democrats, to become galvanized against a candidate who would say that. How does it make any sense for Californians to be more financially well-off without a minimum wage? Forget Elder's personal foibles, this, plus the state's natural partisan lean, made this electoral pursuit doomed and feel like a pointless waste of time and resources.

The most likely way that Newsom could be recalled was always the "mandate of heaven" scenario, where large-scale droughts led to reservoirs drying up and mass power outages, but that has not happened and the lights have stayed on. Republicans have tried to accuse Newsom of being weak on crime, and if somehow that were the #1 issue in the campaign, perhaps they would at least have an effective plan of attack. But so much of their messaging, as you've pointed out, is about cost of living, and while the cost of living is a serious problem, Republicans have no plan or credibility when it comes to fixing it.

Ultimately, though, right as voters started getting serious about the election, public health became the biggest issue in most voters' minds. No matter what we might think of him, it's clear that most voters feel that Gavin Newsom has done a good job with the pandemic over the last year and a half, and now they're voting accordingly.
Cyrusman
« Reply #1368 on: September 10, 2021, 06:21:56 PM »

What were the things they did to Elder? Point to his past history of extreme statements and demonstrate that his views were entirely unlike the median California voter? You seem very aggrieved by this whole election process and I can't understand what about this you think was unfair to Republicans.

Oh I don’t think anything about this in unfair. I just disagree and don’t understand how republicans nationalized this. To me it was totally nationalized by the democrats with bringing in big names who weren’t even California politicians and referencing things going on in different states and talking about future senate appointees.

Also I firmly believe elder or no elder that the democrats would have painted any GOP nominee as far right no matter how moderate they would have been.
Greedo punched first
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1369 on: September 10, 2021, 06:40:45 PM »

Will Newsom even face a Republican in 2022?
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1370 on: September 10, 2021, 06:44:36 PM »

Oh I don’t think anything about this in unfair. I just disagree and don’t understand how republicans nationalized this. To me it was totally nationalized by the democrats with bringing in big names who weren’t even California politicians and referencing things going on in different states and talking about future senate appointees.

Also I firmly believe elder or no elder that the democrats would have painted any GOP nominee as far right no matter how moderate they would have been.

The median voter in California is a Democrat who leans towards the left of the national party. The onus is not on Newsom and the CA Dems to avoid nationalizing, because that is exactly what makes turnout spike. The median voter in California wants Dianne Feinstein replaced by a liberal Democrat, vaccines mandated across the entire state, and is repulsed by Trumpism.

Republicans have completely failed at putting up any remotely palatable candidate statewide in the last 10 years, precisely because they have completely ignored the importance of catering your politics towards the people of your state. For a Republican to win, they need to completely disavow the national GOP because that name is radioactive toxic waste in the state of California. The CAGOP nationalized itself in 2010 and continues to nationalize itself, which is why it hasn't won diddly squat.

You can't point at Newsom pulling in the people who appeal to 60% of Californians and go 'wah wah how come they get to nationalize the race' because that's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.
Cyrusman
« Reply #1371 on: September 10, 2021, 07:16:53 PM »

Quote from: Хahar  link=topic=391670.msg8244467#msg8244467 date=1631313389 uid=2373

The median voter in California is a Democrat who leans towards the left of the national party. The onus is not on Newsom and the CA Dems to avoid nationalizing, because that is exactly what makes turnout spike. The median voter in California wants Dianne Feinstein replaced by a liberal Democrat, vaccines mandated across the entire state, and is repulsed by Trumpism.

Republicans have completely failed at putting up any remotely palatable candidate statewide in the last 10 years, precisely because they have completely ignored the importance of catering your politics towards the people of your state. For a Republican to win, they need to completely disavow the national GOP because that name is radioactive toxic waste in the state of California. The CAGOP nationalized itself in 2010 and continues to nationalize itself, which is why it hasn't won diddly squat.

You can't point at Newsom pulling in the people who appeal to 60% of Californians and go 'wah wah how come they get to nationalize the race' because that's not how it works. That's not how any of this works.

Everything you said is accurate but do you really think even if the CAGOP changes course and nominates socially moderate to liberal republicans and avoids following the national GOP it would make any difference more than maybe a point or two?
I believe that no matter what the letter “R” next to the name will do them in no matter who they run or how well of a campaign they run. It seems like literally no matter who the candidate is even if it’s the CA GOP version of Charlie Baker dems in CA will just call that person a Trump candidate which is annoying since you can be a Republican and not have anything to do with Trump. That’s the most annoying part of this is how much they make this about Trump when he isn’t even on the ballot and isn’t president
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1372 on: September 10, 2021, 07:28:33 PM »

Quote from: Хahar  link=topic=391670.msg8244467#msg8244467 date=1631313389 uid=2373

Everything you said is accurate but do you really think even if the CAGOP changes course and nominates socially moderate to liberal republicans and avoids following the national GOP it would make any difference more than maybe a point or two?
I believe that no matter what the letter “R” next to the name will do them in no matter who they run or how well of a campaign they run. It seems like literally no matter who the candidate is even if it’s the CA GOP version of Charlie Baker dems in CA will just call that person a Trump candidate which is annoying since you can be a Republican and not have anything to do with Trump. That’s the most annoying part of this is how much they make this about Trump when he isn’t even on the ballot and isn’t president

That's basically what happened to Steve Poizner in 2018. And he didn't even have the Republican label on his ballot.
CalamityBlue

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #1373 on: September 10, 2021, 07:32:47 PM »

As long as Trump remains the GOP's figurehead and the person every Republican sucks up to out of fear of getting primaried, nobody's convincing anyone that he's not a factor.

The CAGOP lives in terror of their base. They kicked out Chad Mayes for having two brain cells to rub together. Kevin Faulconer has more Democrats voting for him than Republicans. There is no appetite for serious governance or actual leadership in the CAGOP, not since their Faustian bargain with the Tea Party.

If you've managed to take Orange County, the birthplace of Reagan and Nixon, which voted for Bush by 20 points in 2004, and turn it blue up and down the ballot, there is something deeply deeply wrong with your approach to politics.

The modern California Republican is more concerned about sucking up to the national GOP and playing this self-effacing "Everyone hates California, that's why they're all leaving!! Right, guys?? Haha Commiefornia amirite" shtick than seriously appealing to anyone outside their base.

Cyrusman
« Reply #1374 on: September 10, 2021, 07:46:56 PM »

As long as Trump remains the GOP's figurehead and the person every Republican sucks up to out of fear of getting primaried, nobody's convincing anyone that he's not a factor.

The CAGOP lives in terror of their base. They kicked out Chad Mayes for having two brain cells to rub together. Kevin Faulconer has more Democrats voting for him than Republicans. There is no appetite for serious governance or actual leadership in the CAGOP, not since their Faustian bargain with the Tea Party.

If you've managed to take Orange County, the birthplace of Reagan and Nixon, which voted for Bush by 20 points in 2004, and turn it blue up and down the ballot, there is something deeply deeply wrong with your approach to politics.

The modern California Republican is more concerned about sucking up to the national GOP and playing this self-effacing "Everyone hates California, that's why they're all leaving!! Right, guys?? Haha Commiefornia amirite" shtick than seriously appealing to anyone outside their base.

We’ll in fairness even in 2010 and 2014 when Trump wasn’t a factor pro choice republicans like Meg Whitman and Neel Kashmiri got killed as well
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 60 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies