CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:59:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 100
Author Topic: CA GOV 2021 - 2022 megathread  (Read 124129 times)
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2021, 10:20:49 AM »

It's the GOP's wet dream! Safe D -> Safe D
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2021, 10:23:44 AM »
« Edited: January 04, 2021, 11:17:45 AM by Sir Mohamed »

Hot take: Faulconer will finish 3rd in the jungle primary behind Newsom and some crazy nutjob, who will go on the represent the GOP in the GE. Either way, Newsom will secure a 2nd term easily.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2021, 12:11:14 PM »

FTR: Everyone I've talked to says his rollout so far has been abysmal. Like, "finish 15 points behind John Cox in the primary if he doesn't figure his sh*t out" abysmal
tosk

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -2.96

« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2021, 12:28:38 PM »

FTR: Everyone I've talked to says his rollout so far has been abysmal. Like, "finish 15 points behind John Cox in the primary if he doesn't figure his sh*t out" abysmal

how so? all i've seen is his one tweet, not sure how it could be all that much of a disaster.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2021, 07:11:25 PM »

This comes as a surprise to me, because it suggests that Faulconer thinks that he can win, or at least that making an attempt would be worth his while. That's not to say that he has an actual chance, but it will at least lead me to adjust my priors regarding the state of the race.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2021, 07:51:52 PM »
« Edited: January 05, 2021, 02:53:49 AM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Oh, and reminder that the only long-term effect of a recall would be the Dem super-majorities and Democratic voters opting to scrap the recall provisions. It would be laid bare as a tool for the GOP to try and keep forcing for the outcome they and not the majority of CA voters want, so the voters would happily do away with it in the name of preserving the popular mandate.

I'm still peeved about Josh Newman's recall.

Anyway, it'll be "fun" watching the 'CA GOP Comeback!!!' takes blossom when Faulconer loses by 19% instead of Cox's 24%. That's if someone from the Travis Allen-wing doesn't steal the GOP thunder in the primary
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2021, 08:03:25 PM »

Also, I'm not sure something like this endears Faulconer to the 60ish percent of voters who still give positive marks to Newsom's job approval (Even after the state orders and dinner snafu).

LA Times: Ex-San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer, who is considering run for governor, signs petition to oust Newsom

[...]Faulconer said on Facebook and Twitter around 10:30 a.m. Saturday that he signed the recall effort because jobs are leaving the state, homelessness has increased and the state unemployment office's difficulty in issuing checks during the COVID-19 crisis.

Efforts to reach the governor’s office Saturday afternoon for comment were unsuccessful.

“Every Californian fed up with the governor’s hypocrisy and failures should sign the recall petition,” Faulconer wrote. “Either through a recall or a regular election, it’s time to start holding the governor accountable.”

Newsom gets mostly high marks for his handling of the economy over the past 12 months, despite protests over coronavirusrelated shutdowns,according to a survey released in early December by the Public Policy Institute of California. It found 55% of residents in San Diego and Orange counties (combined in the study) approved of Newsom’s handling of the economy.

San Francisco Bay Area (67%) and Los Angeles (65%) were most pleased with his performance. It was a different story in other parts of the state, where respondents in the Inland Empire (52%) and Central Valley (45%) said they approved.
[...]

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ex-san-diego-mayor-kevin-faulconer-who-is-considering-run-for-governor-signs-petition-to-oust-newsom/ar-BB1cr1BV
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2021, 08:28:53 PM »

Not saying that Newsom will lose in 2022, but it seems ridiculous to completely throw this to safe D and forget about it. That being said, I think it’s still safe D, but who knows what could happen in the next 2 years or so.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2021, 10:46:10 PM »

I doubt any California Democrats would brave running in the primary against Newsom... but if anyone tried who could take that 2nd slot?
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #134 on: January 04, 2021, 11:52:52 PM »

I doubt any California Democrats would brave running in the primary against Newsom... but if anyone tried who could take that 2nd slot?

maybe someone to the left of newsom. some random state senator, or former statewide office holder. Delaine Eastin and John Chiang come to mind.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2021, 01:01:56 AM »

Food for thought.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2021, 02:03:38 AM »

Food for thought.

I guess I’m not sure what to glean other than that they all won re-election? (Despite Davis’s removal shortly after re-election)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2021, 10:03:04 AM »

Comparisons with Gray Davis are meaningless. Not just are circumstances different, the CA of 2021 isn't the CA of the late 1990s and early 2000s.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2021, 11:52:05 AM »

how so? all i've seen is his one tweet, not sure how it could be all that much of a disaster.

Flip-flopping on his Trump support like three times during the “shadow primary” that’s been going on for a while, mostly. There’s no answer that can really satisfy everyone he needs to satisfy and he’s struggling with that
tosk

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2021, 07:24:15 PM »

Flip-flopping on his Trump support like three times during the “shadow primary” that’s been going on for a while, mostly. There’s no answer that can really satisfy everyone he needs to satisfy and he’s struggling with that

right I see. He's having trouble getting the base in line. makes sense, thanks.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2021, 03:04:06 AM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 04:55:59 AM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

The CA GOP paradox and why the hole gets deeper with every election cycle:

Campaign on moderation and they're no different than the Democrats who hold a supermajority.

Campaign on red-meat rhetoric and they're no different than the anti-maskers/vaxxers who are toxic to, at least, 2/3 of the electorate.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: January 08, 2021, 11:12:58 PM »

My guess is that this is either for 2026, or a hamfisted shot at torpedoing his nomination for AG. Who knows?
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2021, 12:14:28 AM »

My guess is that this is either for 2026, or a hamfisted shot at torpedoing his nomination for AG. Who knows?
Oh baby yes, split Dem vote, let a republican make it in to the runoff.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2021, 12:29:50 AM »

Tons of legislators register domain names well in advance. Bonta won't challenge Newsom when he can wait until 2026 for an open seat. If he does get appointed Attorney General he can run for a full term in 2022 and be seat to run for Governor in 2026.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2021, 07:43:36 PM »

Tons of legislators register domain names well in advance. Bonta won't challenge Newsom when he can wait until 2026 for an open seat. If he does get appointed Attorney General he can run for a full term in 2022 and be seat to run for Governor in 2026.

Yeah I don’t think Bonta is stupid. If there were any rumblings of him challenging Newsom, he never would have been let within ten miles of a statewide appointment
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #145 on: January 10, 2021, 06:16:14 PM »

What are the chance of a recall by now? The petition already has a million signatures, and need 500,000 or so by March 17.

I don't see the recall succeeding personally but it looks like it has a chance of happening at the very least?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #146 on: January 10, 2021, 06:40:59 PM »

That's why Newsom is proposing, 600 but we don't know if it's gonna pass
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2021, 08:24:19 PM »

What are the chance of a recall by now? The petition already has a million signatures, and need 500,000 or so by March 17.

I don't see the recall succeeding personally but it looks like it has a chance of happening at the very least?

I think the odds are still slim considering how many signatures will be DQ'd.
LabourJersey
United States

« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2021, 10:41:08 PM »

Makes sense
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2021, 10:48:26 AM »

Grounds?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 100  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies