NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:22:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127434 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« on: March 21, 2021, 03:51:22 PM »

An interesting take:

His support base of whites and Asians along with some Latinos make him more akin to a latter-day Abraham Beame or Mario Proccacino though.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 06:42:38 PM »

Eric Adams is far worse than I ever thought.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 04:10:24 PM »

Kathryn Garcia is the only candidate I like and I will be rooting hard for her.

My guess is a lot of late deciders will feel the same way.  Garcia has her own strengths but also makes for a reasonable "none of the above" choice.  Most importantly, it seems like there's nothing actively repulsive about her, like there is with Yang or this clown Adams.

Ironically, Wiley would probably have a better chance if she wasn't endorsed by AOC.  I'd never heard of her but I would never vote for AOC's candidate if I lived in NYC.

It's heartening that even General MacArthur can't stand Eric Adams.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 04:46:54 PM »

There is no justification for voting for Adams

Adams, unlike Yang, Garcia and a couple others, does not have the indefensible position that students should be required to be COVID vaccinated to return to school but teachers shouldn't, so that is a big plus in his favor in my book.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/13/where-nyc-mayoral-hopefuls-stand-on-vaccines-in-schools-remote-learning/

Students who are eligible for vaccinated should be vaccinated, as should teachers and other adult staff.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 08:03:00 PM »

First results just dropped
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 10:07:35 PM »

Anyway, it's a lot easier to comment on coalitions now:

Adams: Nearly all black voters, other than the young and highly educated. A significant portion of Hispanic voters but not as dominant as among black voters. Orthodox Jews, but not ultra-Orthodox Jews.
Garcia: Middle and upper-income white liberal voters, especially over the age of 30, and conservative non-Jewish white voters (i.e., excluding all Orthodox Jews).
Wiley: Young, liberal, highly educated voters of all ethnicities but especially young white voters, and some other Hispanic voters.
Yang: Asian voters and ultra-Orthodox Jews and nobody else.

Can someone explain again why exactly Yang is dominating with ultra-Orthodox Jews?

He came out in strong support of Israel.

But I thought the ultra-Orthodox Jews were the ones least likely to be Zionist?
He promised to leave their brain-washing centers(schools) alone and not to interfere with them. Because apparently forcing them to teach students actual skills like maths and reading is anti-semitic tyranny.
I’m confused, so can’t they teach them primary subjects in Yiddish or Hebrew then? Do they not have the teachers for that?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/investigators-say-26-yeshivas-fall-below-new-yorks-education-standards-11576798974
Audits have consitiently found that they don't teach non-relgiious subjects to any quality. The city has been trying to get them to stop but the bloc vote is just too powerful.

Eric Adams's servility to these reactionaries, couched in the cynical terms of postmodern cultural relativism, did much to sour me on his pretensions:
Students and families are saying they want a culturally sensitive education. When I walked inside the yeshivas, I didn’t see Shakespeare. But I saw books that the children can look at and see themselves. This argument is more than just what yeshivas are doing. It’s what we are doing in our schools all across this city, if not the country. This Anglo-Saxon-central education is part of the overall fight. They have to meet the standards that are necessary for these young people to have a future. But we also have to re-examine our concept of education. I believe we’re schooling and not educating and developing the full person in our children.

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 10:52:23 PM »

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2021, 07:18:54 PM »

Is Curtis Silwa trying to run on a vaguely economically populist platform:

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2021, 10:43:15 PM »

Despite progressive rethoric and his campagins focus on crime Adams is not the NYPD canidate. He was in facted hated by much of the NYPD for being outspoken against the department back in the day, their Union refused to endorse him telling their members that they should absoutley not rank him.

His chance of winning Staten Island is minimal.

That's a good question.  Is racial polarization too salient in NYC, or can a diverse conservative-populist coalition be built?
Eric Adams has precisely zero appeal among republican white conservatives, his cultural conservatism is restricted to that of Partisan Democrats.

Bill DeBlasio won Staten Island in 2013. I think it remains to be seen how much turnout Silwa can attract, but Staten Island isn't exactly a hard right region in terms of their politics either having voted for Democrats at the national and state levels previously.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2021, 11:07:22 PM »

Eric Adams is a...classic working class/"common man" politician who is basically self-schooled and plays the game to earn his bread

And jaichind was supporting him in the primary...

jaichind supporting populists is hardly out of character. Frankly, I do not understand this.

Anarcho-capitalists like Rothbard favoured alliances with right-wing populists and urged "unleashing the cops" on criminals.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2021, 02:49:28 PM »

Peru moment.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2021, 12:34:01 AM »

What's Andrew Yang going to be doing now that he lost the New York City mayoral Democratic primary?  Try again four years from now?  Attempt another quixotic run for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2024?  Or just stick to the private sector?  

Seems like the answer is become an irrelevant third-party crank.

If DSA was smart, they would not endorse the PSL candidate whose party engages in apologism for Maoist China etc. A cynical but clever move would be to endorse Curtis Sliwa who is running on a bunch of economic populist rhetoric and try to get him to make concessions in at least some areas.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies