NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:28:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127598 times)
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« on: June 18, 2021, 09:30:02 AM »
« edited: June 18, 2021, 11:05:26 AM by UNBEATABLE TITAN WAYNE MESSAM »

I read through Ballotpedia's article on the New York City Mayoral election and I like Garcia the best, and especially her stances on affordable housing, reopening the economy, and crime.

Recovery

Reopen to stay open.

Kathryn is ready to lead the best city in the world to a better tomorrow. The core of Kathryn’s recovery plan is meaningful economic relief and job pathways for the most vulnerable New Yorkers, a plan for small businesses to reopen and stay open, and a green future.

Meaningful economic relief and job pathways for the most vulnerable New Yorkers Free childcare for children aged 0-3 for families making under 70K a year A single small business City Permit to eliminate bureaucracy Launch CrowdsourceNYC to provide zero interest microloans to small businesses Universal broadband for all Restore 24/7 Subway service Fix the broken bureaucracy of City government

Climate Change

Kathryn has been at the front lines of fighting climate change for her entire career. Kathryn’s a comprehensive five borough approach with the right resiliency strategies for every community that will right past wrongs and move New York City to a fully renewable energy economy starting on day one.

Convert Rikers into a renewable energy zone Restore curbside organics recycling Install 3,000 electric car chargers citywide Convert DOE roofs to green roofs

Housing That Heals

Health and housing are linked. Residents who do not have stable or quality housing are less healthy. Safe, secure, affordable housing is a basic human right. Kathryn will focus the City’s housing agenda on outcomes. Kathryn will address street homelessness with urgency and compassion. As NYC Recovers we need housing that heals and increased affordability. Create 50,000 units of deeply affordable housing End apartment bans and discriminatory zoning Move from a shelter strategy to permanent housing strategy Execute NYCHA's Blueprint for Change and get apartments fixed Make it fast, easy and legal for private partners to build more housing

Crime & Police Reform

Driving down crime and police reform are not in conflict with one another. We all need to feel safe. Black Lives Matter. Kettling is wrong. If you break the rules, you get fired. Driving down crime and police reform are not in conflict with one another. what it’s going to take to keep our communities safe and reform the NYPD. Kathryn’s plan will drive down crime and restore trust in the NYPD.

Address root causes of violence and fund Cure Violence groups Zero tolerance for rule infractions Increase recruitment age from 21 to 25 Reward officers for driving down crime--not number of arrests made

Education

Education is about building a more equitable city. Our kids deserve the best education that we can give them, and our parents deserve to feel at ease with the process, not stressed.

Accelerate our Universal Literacy goal to 2023 City employment guarantee for CUNY and trade schools Implement universal broadband

Transportation

Public transportation is the heartbeat of New York. We must ensure that our public spaces serve the public first. Kathryn’s transportation plan is the most climate focused plan. A safe, reliable and efficient transportation system will power our recovery.

Electrify 10,000 school buses Create permanent open streets Expand protected bike lane network by 250 miles One-swipe in-city network for LIRR + MetroNorth

Health

A healthy city is one where all New Yorkers get the care they need, when they need it. That means improving access to regular, affordable healthcare, but also affordable housing, quality jobs, and clean air. Kathryn’s holistic approach will ensure that no New Yorker has to delay needed care due to cost or accessibility.

Reduce wait times for appointments for primary care to less than 10 days Bring health care closer to your home with coordinated care teams and telehealth Expand late night and weekend healthcare services Improve coordination across public and private healthcare systems Make claiming benefits and navigating services the fastest, easiest, and most people-centered in the country Close the maternal mortality gap Expand healthcare infrastructure in historically underserved neighborhoods Increase mental health services for our youth and educators Reduce response times for mobile crisis teams and better serve New Yorkers living with serious mental illness Shorten the commute to buy or pick up healthy food

What are the chances of her winning? Do you all think she can pull it off?

If I could vote, I'd go something like this (#2 through #4 in flux):

[ 1 ] Garcia
[ 2 ] Donovan
[ 3 ] Yang
[ 4 ] Wiley
[ 5 ] Adams
[ 6 ] Not Stringer (rapists begone)
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 02:54:06 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2021, 03:02:53 PM by UNBEATABLE TITAN WAYNE MESSAM »

Y'all are probably tired of hearing about PredictIt betting odds, but Yang is getting dangerously close to only being in single digits...

I'm not getting tired, thanks for keeping us all updated!

Anyway who do you all think wins the Ultra-Orthodox Jewish community? Yang and Adams both have made plays and they are a unified, fast-growing constituency who typically vote as a bloc.

Do you all think Yang or Adams does better among them? And how instrumental will they be for victory?

I can see maybe a lot of them doing Yang and Adams as #1 and #2.

Also I made a thread for predictions. Join us!
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 11:07:20 AM »
« Edited: June 22, 2021, 11:11:46 AM by UNBEATABLE TITAN WAYNE MESSAM »

The city council races in Eastern Queens seem the most interesting to me. Theres a massive ethnic and ideological reaglignment going on and no one know how it will shake out

Could you elaborate? I'd like to hear a little more about that.

BTW The Prediction Thread closes in just over three hours. Finalize your votes!
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 08:17:10 PM »

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/buzzfeednews/nyc-mayor-results-democratic-primary

For those of us too poor for the New York Times, there's Buzzfeed.

They got 190K votes currently and it's at

52K Adams - 27%
48K Garcia - 25%
41K Wiley - 22%
20K Yang - 11%
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 08:17:47 PM »

Sad Yang collapse!

Cry
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 08:25:45 PM »

Damn bro

Buzzfeed says that Adams is winning all boroughs except Manhattan

Bronx is 45% Adams
Brooklyn is 32% Adams
Queens is 31% Adams
Manhattan is 38% Garcia
Staten Island is 28% Adams
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 09:04:20 PM »

Wow, Yang seems to really be crushing it with the Ultra-Orthodox (https://rrhelections.com/). Looks like all the rabbis agreed he's the man for the job.

This bodes well for Adams who'll get a boost (as he's probably their #2)
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 09:13:34 PM »

Real yikes moment for the Garcia team as Wiley starts to catch up for second place

https://web.enrboenyc.us/CD24306ADI0.html

10:10 P.M. Eastern

388,788 votes counted total

Adams: 116,522 - 29.97%
Garcia: 82989 - 21.35%
Wiley: 81196 - 20.88%
Yang: 46521 - 11.97%
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 09:29:40 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2021, 09:32:41 PM by UNBEATABLE TITAN WAYNE MESSAM »

Real yikes moment for the Garcia team as Wiley starts to catch up for second place

10:10 P.M. Eastern

388,788 votes counted total

Adams: 116,522 - 29.97%
Garcia: 82989 - 21.35%
Wiley: 81196 - 20.88%
Yang: 46521 - 11.97%

Many of the recent polls did show Wiley leading Garcia in the first couple of rounds until, like, round six when Yang's voters pushed the latter ahead into the final. So, if the surveys are accurate, a third place finish in round one would not necessarily spell doom for the Garcia team.  

Thank God for that! Even if you aren't with Garcia you should take into account the fact that she does better than Wiley against Adams.

Just take this poll conducted by DFP Polling in the final days of the campaigns, where one of the first tidbits pointed out is that:

Eric Adams, Kathryn Garcia, and Maya Wiley are poised to be the final three candidates in the ranked-choice election for Mayor of New York City. Garcia and Wiley are neck-and-neck; the simulation suggests that if Garcia were to advance to the final round, she has a path to victory over Adams, while Adams would emerge victorious were Wiley to advance.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2021, 09:50:32 PM »

10:45 P.M. Eastern (all numbers in parentheses refer to changes since 10:10 P.M.)

501,518 votes counted total (+112,730)

Adams: 154,128 (+37,606) - 30.73% (+0.76%)
Wiley: 105,876 (+24,680) - 21.11% (+0.23%)
Garcia: 104,051 (+21,062) - 20.75% (-0.60%)
Yang: 59,036 (+12,515) - 11.77% (-0.20%)

UPDATE!

Even as Adams and Wiley gain and Garcia slides, I share Blairite's optimism for much the same reasons as him.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2021, 10:04:31 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2021, 10:07:57 PM by UNBEATABLE TITAN WAYNE MESSAM »

Anyway, it's a lot easier to comment on coalitions now:

Adams: Nearly all black voters, other than the young and highly educated. A significant portion of Hispanic voters but not as dominant as among black voters. Orthodox Jews, but not ultra-Orthodox Jews.
Garcia: Middle and upper-income white liberal voters, especially over the age of 30, and conservative non-Jewish white voters (i.e., excluding all Orthodox Jews).
Wiley: Young, liberal, highly educated voters of all ethnicities but especially young white voters, and some other Hispanic voters.
Yang: Asian voters and ultra-Orthodox Jews and nobody else.

Can someone explain again why exactly Yang is dominating with ultra-Orthodox Jews?

He came out in strong support of Israel.

But I thought the ultra-Orthodox Jews were the ones least likely to be Zionist?
He promised to leave their brain-washing centers(schools) alone and not to interfere with them. Because apparently forcing them to teach students actual skills like maths and reading is anti-semitic tyranny.
I’m confused, so can’t they teach them primary subjects in Yiddish or Hebrew then? Do they not have the teachers for that?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/investigators-say-26-yeshivas-fall-below-new-yorks-education-standards-11576798974
Audits have consitiently found that they don't teach non-relgiious subjects to any quality. The city has been trying to get them to stop but the bloc vote is just too powerful.

This is very sad to see. Where I live, the religious schools, specifically the Catholic schools, are prestigious places filled with academic rigor (especially in secular subjects). Even non-Catholics are trying to get into them.

You'd think that a religion with as great an intellectual history and as educated a populace as Judaism would have the best schools in every department.
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2021, 10:54:57 PM »

The Onion never disappoints!
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2021, 06:17:10 PM »

ARE YOU READY NYC?!?!?!?!?!

Image Link
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 09:18:19 PM »

I’m blocked, but refreshing it lets me peek at it

That 3% for Rojas is basically the overall left vote from prior elections dampened by Covid making electoral work for a party’s first try difficult.

The trick is to press the escape button before it fully loads and the paywall comes up but after you start to see the results in text
You'll even be able to view the county results and map Wink
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2021, 11:30:30 AM »

I just learned today that the Republican candidate's name is Sliwa and not Silwa.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies