NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:30:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 125642 times)
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« on: August 28, 2020, 05:13:45 PM »
« edited: August 28, 2020, 05:17:54 PM by Corbynite »

Yang might be interesting, but I can't see him getting too much support in the other boroughs.

I want Jumaane Williams to run. I haven't seen any other progressive candidates put forward. I'm skeptical of Adams' connections to the police unions and questionable statements in the past, but I would support him overall.

"Whether you are a conservative in Staten Island or you're a liberal in the West Village, you are probably frustrated with this mayor, so what that means is whoever comes in has an opportunity to do something big,” Gupta said.

Sounds like Ravi is forgetting about a rather large portion of New Yorkers who continue to support De Blasio. They don't live in the West Village or Staten Island.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 05:21:31 PM »

Yang might be interesting, but I can't see him getting too much support in the other boroughs.

I want Jumaane Williams to run. I haven't seen any other progressive candidates put forward. I'm skeptical of Adams' connections to the police unions and questionable statements in the past, but I would support him overall.

Outside of me wanting to see UBI test piloted in New York, I feel like an outside force might be useful.

Do we know if he is serious about mounting a run?
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 04:56:07 PM »

Still think if AOC decided to run she'd be a strong candidate in the primary.

Actually, if Max Rose decides to jump in the Mayoral race, assuming he makes it past the primary, he'd be the strongest possible General Election candidate for the Democrats.

But neither AOC or Rose is particularly likely to run.

No thanks to Max Rose.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 12:36:36 PM »

Corey Johnson's not running anymore. Word is he's going to run against Carolyn Maloney instead. He's been on a tear recently - just called the cops on protestors for the crime of protesting near his house.

Johnson is a joke lol.

Who's that guy who has a picture of Maloney in his signature on here? He's not going to be happy.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 03:46:24 AM »

Actually, if Max Rose decides to jump in the Mayoral race, assuming he makes it past the primary, he'd be the strongest possible General Election candidate for the Democrats.

No thanks to Max Rose.

Why not? Max Rose is palatable to all of the wings of the Democratic Party. He represents Staten Island, the most conservative borough in NYC, so obviously he would be more moderate than Hakeem Jeffries or AOC.

Staten Island is absolutely not representative of the city in general, nobody's interested in electing a Republican pretending to be a Democrat and whose career can be summed up as "I used to be in the military" and "I don't much care for the current mayor". But it's absolutely what he wants, why else would he be attacking de Blasio every other day? I think he's got a gut feeling he's getting tossed out in November so he wants to move up to Gracie mansion, which will give him an even bigger platform to pretend to be a Democrat and tell everyone he used to be in the military.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 05:00:08 PM »

No thanks to Max Rose.

Why not? Max Rose is palatable to all of the wings of the Democratic Party. He represents Staten Island, the most conservative borough in NYC, so obviously he would be more moderate than Hakeem Jeffries or AOC.

Staten Island is absolutely not representative of the city in general, nobody's interested in electing a Republican pretending to be a Democrat and whose career can be summed up as "I used to be in the military" and "I don't much care for the current mayor". But it's absolutely what he wants, why else would he be attacking de Blasio every other day? I think he's got a gut feeling he's getting tossed out in November so he wants to move up to Gracie mansion, which will give him an even bigger platform to pretend to be a Democrat and tell everyone he used to be in the military.

You have a really strangely intense agenda against a guy who's governed as a completely generic centrist Democrat and wasn't around to make any particularly controversial votes.

I think the fact that he's generic and hasn't done anything novel or controversial is pretty clearly the criticism, there.

I mean, I don't think Rose would win the Mayoral election, nor do I think he's going to run. But the guy with a very telling screen name seems to REALLY dislike him. And lots of references to him serving in the military.

Because that's his entire shtick. Every commercial and mailer is "former platoon leader Max Rose". It's what he has to lean on since his government accomplishments are non-existent. And I have to see him in the news whining about De Blasio all the time. He's definitely become one of my least favorite politicians, and definitely the worst local Democrat I can think of, short of Ruben Diaz Sr.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 05:04:15 PM »

A Republican primary of Donald Trump Jr vs. Rudy Giuliani's dumb kid? I sure hope so!
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 03:26:50 PM »

No thanks to Max Rose.

Staten Island is the white ghetto of NYC....it is NYC.

Just because Staten Island doesn't vote like the rest of the city doesn't mean that is not part of the city. Most of the firefighters that served on 9/11 came from SI.

Rose won't run for mayor. Martin Golden, Joann Ariola, Vito Fossella or Andrew Lanza should run for the GOP side. Andrew Giuliani can't win. Donald Trump Jr. can't win.

Giuliani is toxic in NYC now.

Didn't Fossella have some weird scandal or get arrested or something way back? I think his career is mostly toast. I'll take your word for it on the other people, but I don't think any Republican really has an especially good shot at being elected. The Dem primary will determine who wins, because the political environment here is a lot different than it was in the 90s when Giuliani got elected and when Stop and Frisk Mike rode in on his coattails. 
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2020, 04:16:21 PM »

Giuliani delivers a speech, denouncing De Blasio and rolling out city GOP plan to hire 9,000 more cops. Uh huh.

Joined by luminaries like Catsimatidis and Curtis Sliwa. I'm surprised my favorite Staten Island congressman wasn't up there with him, I guess he wasn't important enough.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/former-mayor-rudy-giuliani-city-gop-officials-to-unveil-plan-to-revive-nyc/2620339/
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 09:12:30 PM »

Not sure where else to put this (maybe this could be a NYC megathread?) but King finally got kicked off the City Council. He's facing a third harassment allegation. The only other councilmember to support him was Ruben Diaz Sr.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-nyc-city-council-andy-king-expulsion-20201005-5npfbmib7raq7g5uam6g7o7iou-story.html
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2020, 10:25:59 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/12/us/harold-heshy-tischler-custody-orthodox-jewish-protests-new-york/index.html

Outspoken protester Harold "Heshy" Tischler was taken into custody Sunday evening in connection with an alleged assault during protests against new anti-coronavirus restrictions in an Orthodox Jewish area of Brooklyn, New York police say.

Some members of the Orthodox Jewish community protested in the Borough Park neighborhood for multiple nights last week in response to the measures, which limit gatherings in houses of worship in areas identified as Covid-19 clusters.
Jewish Insider reporter Jacob Kornbluh claimed on a verified Twitter account that during protests Wednesday night he was brutally assaulted after Tischler "recognized me and ordered the crowd to chase me down the street."

Confirming Tischler's detention Sunday, a New York City Police Department spokesman said that charges of inciting a riot and unlawful imprisonment in connection with the incident surrounding Kornbluh are pending.

"The New York City Police Department Warrant Squad has taken Harold 'Heshy' Tischler into custody. He will be charged with inciting to riot and unlawful imprisonment in connection with an assault of a journalist that took place on October 7, 2020 in Brooklyn," the department said on Twitter.

CNN has made multiple attempts to reach Tischler, but has not received a response.
Tischler is a candidate for New York City Council, a supporter of President Trump, and an outspoken critic of social distancing restrictions, according to posts on his Facebook and Instagram accounts.

There have been protests and riots for the past several days now, and Tischler's arrest adds fuel to the fire.

Tischler is running in the 48th City Council District.

What an absolute piece of crap. Bonus: he's not even Hasidic. I think he must be Modern Orthodox because he speaks Yiddish but he doesn't follow most of the traditions the Ultras do. Yet he still feels comfortable rallying them to protest against safety measures that will help them avoid more of the the deaths they experienced at the peak of the outbreak.

I remember Ray Goldfield was applauding him for leading the playground chain destructions back in the spring. Looks pretty bad now in retrospect.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2020, 08:19:03 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2020, 08:23:18 AM by Kefauver »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/12/us/harold-heshy-tischler-custody-orthodox-jewish-protests-new-york/index.html

Outspoken protester Harold "Heshy" Tischler was taken into custody Sunday evening in connection with an alleged assault during protests against new anti-coronavirus restrictions in an Orthodox Jewish area of Brooklyn, New York police say.

Some members of the Orthodox Jewish community protested in the Borough Park neighborhood for multiple nights last week in response to the measures, which limit gatherings in houses of worship in areas identified as Covid-19 clusters.
Jewish Insider reporter Jacob Kornbluh claimed on a verified Twitter account that during protests Wednesday night he was brutally assaulted after Tischler "recognized me and ordered the crowd to chase me down the street."

Confirming Tischler's detention Sunday, a New York City Police Department spokesman said that charges of inciting a riot and unlawful imprisonment in connection with the incident surrounding Kornbluh are pending.

"The New York City Police Department Warrant Squad has taken Harold 'Heshy' Tischler into custody. He will be charged with inciting to riot and unlawful imprisonment in connection with an assault of a journalist that took place on October 7, 2020 in Brooklyn," the department said on Twitter.

CNN has made multiple attempts to reach Tischler, but has not received a response.
Tischler is a candidate for New York City Council, a supporter of President Trump, and an outspoken critic of social distancing restrictions, according to posts on his Facebook and Instagram accounts.

There have been protests and riots for the past several days now, and Tischler's arrest adds fuel to the fire.

Tischler is running in the 48th City Council District.

What an absolute piece of crap. Bonus: he's not even Hasidic. I think he must be Modern Orthodox because he speaks Yiddish but he doesn't follow most of the traditions the Ultras do. Yet he still feels comfortable rallying them to protest against safety measures that will help them avoid more of the the deaths they experienced at the peak of the outbreak.

I remember Ray Goldfield was applauding him for leading the playground chain destructions back in the spring. Looks pretty bad now in retrospect.

I hadn't even heard of this goon until he started his riots this past week. I remember saluting Simcha Felder and Kalman Yeger for undoing the Mayor's illegal, ethnically targeted selected closing of parks and playgrounds in the summer. If he was there, he wasn't making a scene yet.

Obviously this idiot need to be prosecuted for his assault on a respected Jewish journalist, but the best way to prevent more idiots like him from emerging is to remove the man responsible for creating a hostile and dangerous atmosphere for religious Jews in NYC.

Hahahahaha this is delusional. You justify violence by blaming it on the mayor, and you still support their playground stunt because you care more about dunking on him than about adherence to safety measures.

Hogan's a bit too progressive for you.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2020, 10:57:30 AM »

C'mon, now, do you really think that de Blasio would be treating this differently if it was a different religious group recklessly endangering lives? Just because you're Jewish doesn't give you a pass to kill people.

There's an entire lengthy thread in USGD about how De Blasio has been treating the Jewish community very differently, down to straight-up illegal enforcement of laws that had been suspended selectively against this community or were never laws at all, in the aftermath of allowing a full year of violent attacks against Hasidic Jews to go on uninterrupted.

Most of which was outright falsehood. Here, read this:

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-here-we-go-again-ultra-orthodox-covid-20200930-xpvxcetmwnhojgg7adt3ysco5i-story.html

Hogan reopened private schools when the health commissioner of Montgomery county forced them to close.

Ah, I stand corrected, then. Perfect candidate for him.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2020, 11:00:15 AM »

...Anyway....

Interesting article here, found on reddit. This solidifies why I will never support Adams for mayor.

https://rossbarkan.substack.com/p/will-eric-adams-apologize

Key excerpts:

The second point is worth addressing on its own, especially in the context of the catastrophic COVID-19 pandemic. We will get there shortly. But first, and more crucially, there is the question of rent. Every politician—liberal, moderate, leftist, even conservative—has long lamented New York’s escalating cost of living. The 2010s, which began with Michael Bloomberg’s third term, were a new Gilded Age for New York, with skyrocketing rents and yawning income inequality. It was the decade of New York as a “luxury product,” with soaring glass box condos invading the skylines of Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan. Hudson Yards, a tax-subsidized playground for the ultrawealthy and various corporate brands, finally opened, embodying this era of shortsighted excess. Now mostly vacant and costing the city obscene amounts of money, it will stand as a testament to neoliberal economic development at its most ludicrous. Beyond the far West Side of Manhattan, pressure on rent seemed to exist virtually everywhere. Neighborhoods like Bushwick and Long Island City and Sunnyside and Inwood, once largely working class enclaves, became hubs for the upper middle class and the wealthy. Each year, rents steadily rose. The median city rent increased 35 percent between 2010 and 2020, with certain neighborhoods seeing far higher spikes. This 35 percent increase came on top of the gentrification already occurring in the 2000s, as the city’s population grew and the economy rebounded from 9/11. For much of the 2010s, New York was particularly attractive to foreign investors, increasing rents and the purchase prices of apartments.

Why? Eric Adams, who is a landlord himself, and Adriano Espaillat should have some idea. They may not just want to talk about it. Both were former Democratic state senators who enjoyed cozy relationships with the breakaway conference of senators, known as the Independent Democratic Conference, that helped keep Republicans in the majority for much of the 2010s. Adams’ successor in the Senate, Jesse Hamilton, joined the IDC with Adams’ full endorsement. Espaillat’s successor, with his full-throated backing, joined the IDC too. Espaillat was close enough to the IDC’s leader, Jeff Klein, to happily accept donations from the IDC and Klein himself. All of this matters because Republicans could not have controlled the Senate without the IDC, which had as many as eight lawmakers before most of them were defeated in primaries in 2018. The Republican conference, over the course of the decade and long before, had rejected repeated attempts to strengthen tenant and rent laws that could have forestalled the housing displacement that had metastasized last decade—the very displacement that Adams and Espaillat railed against. In 2019, with the IDC defeated and the Republicans chased from power, the Democrat-controlled State Senate overwhelmingly strengthened these housing laws. Most importantly, over the objections of Republicans and quiet resistance from Governor Andrew Cuomo, they ended vacancy decontrol.

There are several causes of gentrification, which is best understood as housing displacement with attendant cultural shifts, some more relevant than others. One major trigger, too often gone unmentioned, was the New York City Council’s 1994 vote to institute vacancy decontrol for the city’s rent-stabilized housing stock. The state government, where Republicans controlled the State Senate and the Governor’s Mansion at the time, rubberstamped the law change. Until 1994, the nearly 900,000 apartments that were rent-stabilized had to remain forever in the program, their rent increases capped annually. For tenants, this meant a certain level of comfort and predictability because the Rent Guidelines Board, which decided how much rent would be raised annually, would usually vote for miniscule increases. The city’s median rent in 1994 was below $600 and apartments could be had in neighborhoods like the Lower East Side for around $552 a month. For landlords, the long sought goal has always been the end of all rent regulations in New York City: every apartment on the free market, the rent as high as the wealthiest tenant might pay.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2020, 11:23:13 PM »

https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/politics/campaigns-elections/exclusive-carlos-menchaca-confirms-mayoral-campaign.html

New York City Council Member Carlos Menchaca confirmed to City & State that he is running for mayor in the 2021 Democratic primary and will officially announce his candidacy on Thursday. As has been previously reported, Menchaca has filed with the New York City Campaign Finance Board, and the announcement has been widely anticipated since Menchaca hinted at it on Twitter earlier this month.

Menchaca, who has recently drawn attention for defeating a proposed rezoning of Industry City, represents a diverse, largely Latino district spanning Sunset Park, Red Hook, Greenwood Heights and slivers of Windsor Terrace, Dyker Heights and Borough Park. He is the first Mexican-American elected official in New York state and, according to his website, he is also the first openly gay elected office holder from Brooklyn.

What are Menchaca's chances in the primary?

I've always been a fan of his. Although I don't think he's a particularly visible politician here. It will be an uphill battle but his candidacy has my interest.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2020, 06:38:25 PM »

https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/politics/campaigns-elections/exclusive-carlos-menchaca-confirms-mayoral-campaign.html

New York City Council Member Carlos Menchaca confirmed to City & State that he is running for mayor in the 2021 Democratic primary and will officially announce his candidacy on Thursday. As has been previously reported, Menchaca has filed with the New York City Campaign Finance Board, and the announcement has been widely anticipated since Menchaca hinted at it on Twitter earlier this month.

Menchaca, who has recently drawn attention for defeating a proposed rezoning of Industry City, represents a diverse, largely Latino district spanning Sunset Park, Red Hook, Greenwood Heights and slivers of Windsor Terrace, Dyker Heights and Borough Park. He is the first Mexican-American elected official in New York state and, according to his website, he is also the first openly gay elected office holder from Brooklyn.

What are Menchaca's chances in the primary?

He'll be the one candidate explicitly running to De Blasio's left and is likely to get endorsements from AOC and other far-left city politicians as it goes on, so he'll be a factor for a while. Good chance he even makes the runoff if the field doesn't coalesce, but he'll likely lose a one-on-one battle with Stringer, Donovan, Adams, or any of the other big guns.

Adams is a joke. His connection to the real estate racketeers and the IDC will come out if his candidacy gets any traction at all.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2020, 03:43:09 PM »

After last night's election, I say that NYC Democrats should choose Eric Adams and Adams will win the mayoralty.

He would be the second black mayor, but he was a Black police officer. He actually dealt with police brutality. He decided to be a NYPD Black cop to change the system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Adams_(politician)

I don't think a woman can win the mayoralty. Pat Lynch is the most important unelected political kingmaker in New York State. His police union is powerful. Adams can handle him. de Blasio couldn't.

Adams will be called out because he supported IDC and landlords, caused rents to spike
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2020, 03:44:39 PM »

I'm liking Antonio Reynoso for a related race, Brooklyn borough president. Progressives are lining up behind him.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/new-york-elections-government/ny-cynthia-nixon-antonio-reynoso-brooklyn-borough-president-20201110-3njuc5it5rfrzp4c5u7bfnfqly-story.html

Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2020, 11:33:45 AM »

I don't think a Republican has a chance here

Giuliani and Trump severed the NYGOP brand here

Giuliani would be chased out of NYC these days

A Republican could win in the 2030s, maybe

Hence why Rose would lose
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2020, 09:39:21 PM »

Rose in:

Ughhhhh

No
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2020, 06:33:07 PM »

Did you guys know that Eric Adams once accused Bronx Borough President Herman Badillo of being a race traitor because he was married to a white Jewish woman? I gotta say, the more I learn about this guy, the less I like him. I'd take Donovan over him if those were the only two choices.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 06:08:44 PM »

I think he might be my guy.

I like Stringer but if his campaign is as DOA as the polling seems to indicate, I might have to find a more viable candidate. And I will do anything to stop Eric Adams from being mayor.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2021, 11:49:16 PM »

Anyone but Yang, please, Yang is the type of candidate that online people think will govern well, but in actuality will not govern well
New York City has never elected a mayor who "governs well."

I will go to my grave defending Bill De Blasio and David Dinkins. Also John Lindsay and Fiorello La Guardia were great.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2021, 11:50:09 PM »

I enthusiastically endorse Yang. NYC seems like just the right place for him. I may live in NYC next year, and I'd rank Maya Wiley second, Dianne Morales third, and Scott Stringer in a distant fourth. Never Adams and McGuire.

Any curiosity who wins the Republican primary? I'd say Silwa of the declared though him as the nominee sounds like a total clown show.

Where are you looking at living in NY? Need any tips?
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2021, 11:53:32 AM »

Good riddance you self-aggrandizing hack.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies