NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:30:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127600 times)
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« on: June 15, 2021, 08:10:41 PM »

Said Marist poll's RCV ballot.

I personally think the best opportunity here for An Adams loss is from Wiley. Mainly because I have a harder time seeing there being Garcia -> Adams transfers when compared to the large overlap in Garcia -> Wiley. Wiley on the other hand has some demographic support that would flow to Adams, despite their ideological differences.

Dare I use the power of the internet to find out who Paperboy Love Prince is?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 09:40:47 AM »

"Each week following the election, the votes will be tabulated. The candidate with the lowest number of first-choice votes will be eliminated, and that candidate’s votes are redistributed to each voter’s second-choice candidate, and so on until only two candidates remain. It's unclear how long it will take to count ballots, so it's uncertain how soon a winner can be declared."

https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/nyc-primary-elections-mayoral-race-2021/h_516c2954bc98b52cf65cc705b9098edb

So is each round going to happen weekly or is this article just being vague?
Storr
Junior Chimp
Moldova, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 10:24:42 PM »

Anyway, it's a lot easier to comment on coalitions now:

Adams: Nearly all black voters, other than the young and highly educated. A significant portion of Hispanic voters but not as dominant as among black voters. Orthodox Jews, but not ultra-Orthodox Jews.
Garcia: Middle and upper-income white liberal voters, especially over the age of 30, and conservative non-Jewish white voters (i.e., excluding all Orthodox Jews).
Wiley: Young, liberal, highly educated voters of all ethnicities but especially young white voters, and some other Hispanic voters.
Yang: Asian voters and ultra-Orthodox Jews and nobody else.

Can someone explain again why exactly Yang is dominating with ultra-Orthodox Jews?

He came out in strong support of Israel.

But I thought the ultra-Orthodox Jews were the ones least likely to be Zionist?
He promised to leave their brain-washing centers(schools) alone and not to interfere with them. Because apparently forcing them to teach students actual skills like maths and reading is anti-semitic tyranny.
I’m confused, so can’t they teach them primary subjects in Yiddish or Hebrew then? Do they not have the teachers for that?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/investigators-say-26-yeshivas-fall-below-new-yorks-education-standards-11576798974
Audits have consitiently found that they don't teach non-relgiious subjects to any quality. The city has been trying to get them to stop but the bloc vote is just too powerful.

Eric Adams's servility to these reactionaries, couched in the cynical terms of postmodern cultural relativism, did much to sour me on his pretensions:
Students and families are saying they want a culturally sensitive education. When I walked inside the yeshivas, I didn’t see Shakespeare. But I saw books that the children can look at and see themselves. This argument is more than just what yeshivas are doing. It’s what we are doing in our schools all across this city, if not the country. This Anglo-Saxon-central education is part of the overall fight. They have to meet the standards that are necessary for these young people to have a future. But we also have to re-examine our concept of education. I believe we’re schooling and not educating and developing the full person in our children.

"This Anglo-Saxon-central education"? Holy yikes....
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies