NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:28:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127196 times)
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« on: December 14, 2020, 07:10:24 PM »

Here's my very rough breakdown of how things stand. Undeclared candidates are italicized. Potential dark horses have an asterisk.

Frontrunners
Scott Stringer, Eric Adams, Shaun Donovan
Competitors
Maya Wiley*, Raymond McGuire, Max Rose, Andrew Yang, Ray McGuire (NEW)
Stragglers
Diane Morales*, Loree Sutton, Carlos Menchaca*, Kathryn Garcia
Bottom Feeders
Eddie Cullen, Aaron Foldenauer, Quanda Francis, Max Kaplan, Julia Qing Reaves, Joycelyn Taylor

I think Menchaca would be nice and I hope he does well
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 06:37:29 PM »

How stupid that one silly comment can torpedo Yang, yet people like Trump can get away with anything.  But I agree with the above post, let him run the DNC.

You’re not wrong, but it’s not a direct comparison. Trump played to an already existing devoured base in a crowded field, while Yang is trying to make a base in such a field, which is very hard. Still I don’t think it’ll sink him. But he’s bruised.

Is there any news about Menchaca’s campaign?
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 12:42:16 AM »

This mayoral election is gonna be clown at. It’s shaping up to be worse then 2020
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 12:09:37 AM »

Meanwhile I’m sitting here wanting Menchaca all alone
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2021, 01:19:20 AM »

There’s dozens of us!
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 03:56:21 PM »

Boo! Let Menchaca in!
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2021, 10:34:07 PM »

My current candidate preference would likely be Menchaca, Donovan, Wiley, Stringer.

Yes I’m not including Yang.
#AntiYangGang
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 08:34:01 PM »

400:1 student-teacher ratio, Khan Academy replacing regular school for everyone. KaiserDave is probably right about the three most normal candidates.

I can imagine the teachers unions would riot in mass and I can’t blame them. That’s insane and ridiculous to assume teachers would even consider teacher 400 students
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 12:47:48 PM »

This is the sort of race that should have a proper televised debate for the primary. I don't know how US TV marketing/local networks work so put it on SNY if you have to.

IIRC there already was a debate planned with some of the democratic candidates
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2021, 03:40:14 PM »

leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 05:53:27 PM »

I do love that RCV has lead to more kinda “coalition campaigning”
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2021, 11:52:22 PM »

Also a slight tangent but I went in a bit deep and there are a lot of open races this year in NYC. The race for Comptroller, Manhattan, Bronx, Brooklyn, and Staten Island, and about a third of the city council have no incumbent running as they’re term limited. There’s a lot of seat trading and other interesting characters running behind just the mayoral election.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2021, 08:45:17 PM »

Oxygen thief billionaire land developers plan to spend tens of millions on trying to get a moderate Dem elected. I'm not sure why they're bothering, both Yang and Adam seem squarely I'm their corner. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/09/nyregion/stephen-ross-mayor-money.html

Thanks for sharing. Very bad stuff.

As for where I'm at, I moving squarely into Stringer's corner and hoping to get a volunteering position.

He's the only candidate I believe that combines progressive policies with decades of government experience. I like his endorsements (Bowman, Nadler, RWDSU) and I like the guy personally!

My view on Garcia has declined given her lack of liberalism, I like her experience but she's too moderate for my taste. I've been moving away from Yang for some time. I will very likely not be ranking him at all.

In the Comptroller race I am entirely behind Lander, without the shadow of a doubt. Corey Johnson should never have ran.

Out of curiosity why don’t you like Johnson?
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2021, 07:11:31 PM »

Crain's New York is claiming Ray McGuire won a poll, but it's behind a paywall and I can't find crosstabs on it.

Update: Appears to be a name recognition poll amongst Crain's Democratic-voting subscribers. Really a stretch to say he "topped a poll".

It's honestly hilarious watching Wall Street & big business (&, thus, pro-Wall Street & pro-big business outlets) try & push him when it's been blatantly obvious for a while now that he'd be lucky to even get 10% in the primary.

I like him, but, yeah, it's kinda obvious he hasn't landed. I'm surprised a bunch of candidates haven't dropped out yet, honestly. Namely McGuire and Menchaca.

I still hoping beyond hope Menchaca can pull out a little
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2021, 05:21:51 PM »

An interesting take:

Yea I will have to say, as much as I don’t agree with Yang. He’s fun and his campaign vibes. Can’t really say the same with Stringer, Morales. The closest maybe is Wiley
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2021, 12:00:57 AM »

Former MLB labor negotiator and Giuliani deputy mayor and current New York Yankees president Randy Levine is considering a run for New York City mayor, based on people pushing polling on his name and potential candidacy

https://twitter.com/TweetBenMax/status/1360061874721718273

"as a Republican"

Whoa! This is worthless.

The only question left open about the general is how close will queens be and will democrats win Staten Island
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2021, 11:41:27 AM »

I knew it was coming and he was never gonna win, still sad to see him go. Don’t know who is vote for first after him. Stringer, Wiley, and Morales are my big three
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2021, 11:49:17 PM »

The past presidential election cycle I really recognized you could capture what a paper or news org thinks about a particular candidate just from the still-shot picture they use of that person. That one on the right for example says the New York Post don't think much of that lady.

It’s hardly a new phenomenon, watch any attack ad and you’ll see the most unflattering pictures imaginable of the person they’re attacking. News does it too, especially the less repudiated like the post
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 12:49:34 PM »

Not for the mayoral election but didn’t think it was worth starting a new topic - AOC endorses Lander for Comptroller. Fingers crossed he can beat Corey!

With how many open races there are in NYC next year this thread would be better titled NYC 2021 Election or something of the sort. The whole political landscape of the city is about to change
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 01:02:48 AM »
« Edited: April 13, 2021, 10:11:40 AM by leecannon_ »

Why isn't Eric Adams gaining traction? Is it because McGuire is in his lane of moderate black voters in Queens and Brooklyn? Is it because he is a former cop?

Is it because he sucks?

How does he suck?

He has a history of anti-semitism and general awful-ness, most famously insulting a former congressman (Herman Badillo) for marrying outside his race

It's insulting to the Hispanic community that he can go to the Hispanic community for support, but he can't go to the Hispanic community when he's picking a wife."

Also worth noting the wife in question has Alzheimer’s at the time. When asked if he stood by what he said and meant it he said he absolutely did. Also the former police deputy commissioner he stated criticized them, but he never had any ideas or suggestions about reform when they worked with him. He’s also defended Louis Farrakhan’s antisemiticism. It’s also interesting that before he entered Brooklyn politics he was a republican. He also defending a former cop turned politician when he was charged with domestic abuse. This is all from a quick skim of his wiki page
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2021, 05:07:08 PM »

The only candidate I actively do not want and would vote for any other over is Adams
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2021, 11:29:36 PM »

The only candidate I actively do not want and would vote for any other over is Adams

Why not?

I’ve mentioned this before but he’s known for defending the antisemitism of Louis Farrakhan and being a staunch critic of Herman Badillo simply because he married a Jewish woman and not a Hispanic one. He also defended a former cop buddy and legislator while he was being charged with domestic abuse. I don’t know his policies in his campaign but frankly with a record like his I can’t see that making a difference
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2021, 05:05:59 PM »

I’m glad Stringer is taking over  Adams
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 05:18:21 PM »
« Edited: April 21, 2021, 05:22:00 PM by leecannon_ »

Maya Wiley is the only candidate (outside Yang) with pins in their store so she should win

Yangs pins are really nice tho its taking a lot not to buy them
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2021, 08:28:20 AM »

Maya Wiley is the only candidate (outside Yang) with pins in their store so she should win

Yangs pins are really nice tho its taking a lot not to buy them

I believe all official Yang merch is available just to people with an NYC mailing and shipping address, which is weirdly restrictive but probably a sign of Yang's campaign being very insecure with being seen as a candidate with fans only outside of the City.

Boo! Let me buy pins for my collection!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies