NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:01:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127393 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: January 14, 2021, 12:35:16 PM »

Definitely update time

Frontrunners
Scott Stringer, Eric Adams, Andrew Yang
Competitors
Maya Wiley, Max Rose, Ray McGuire, Shaun Donovan
Stragglers
Diane Morales, Loree Sutton, Carlos Menchaca, Kathryn Garcia, Christine Quinn
Bottom Feeders
Eddie Cullen, Aaron Foldenauer, Quanda Francis, Max Kaplan, Julia Qing Reaves, Art Chang, Joycelyn Taylor

I thought Rose was out.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 11:43:48 AM »

A new poll is in for this race's democratic primary.

Core Decision Analytics/Fontas Advisors
January 20-25
842 likely voters
MoE: 3.38%

Andrew Yang 28%
Eric Adams 17%
Scott Stringer 13%
Shaun Donovan 8%
Maya Wiley 8%
Kathryn Garcia 2%
Ray McGuire 2%
Dianne Morales 2%
Zach Iscol 1%
Undecided/don't know 19%

Fascinating how this race has an extremely similar shape to the 2020 Democratic presidential primary (and frankly the 2016 GOP one as well).

Name rec is a helluva drug, as it was for Biden and Trump.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 09:43:28 PM »

Not sure if this has been brought up, but I feel like counting will be an absolute nightmare. New York is already particularly terrible at it, and RCV adds another layer of complication.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 01:08:35 AM »

And this is precisely why Trump and his allies are able to spread lies about elections. Incompetence and taking forever to get results makes people think that something is wrong with the process.

F**k it. Biden should declare martial law against the state of New York. I'm serious. If they don't get their s**t together? That's how the Capitol gets stormed again.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 11:00:29 AM »

And this is precisely why Trump and his allies are able to spread lies about elections. Incompetence and taking forever to get results makes people think that something is wrong with the process.

F**k it. Biden should declare martial law against the state of New York. I'm serious. If they don't get their s**t together? That's how the Capitol gets stormed again.

There are two big sources of delays here: 1) you get 7 days after the election for your absentee ballot to arrive, and 2) you get 10 days to cure your ballot. Which are you suggesting they get rid of?

Now if they were to spend forever getting the RCV results out after the above delays, thats a completely different story.

The first, no question. Require ballots to be received by poll closing. Woke liberals will say this is vOter suPrESsion. But Oregon, which is not exactly a red state, does all-mail elections and requires exactly that.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 08:18:03 PM »

Wow, that is an absolutely dismal showing for Yang.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 10:53:03 PM »
« Edited: June 22, 2021, 11:00:15 PM by Roll Roons »

I actually had no idea TR ran for mayor. The more you learn...
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2021, 10:19:14 PM »

If Democrats are serious about restoring faith in elections, standardized (and timely) vote counting procedures should be the top priority. Bar none.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2021, 07:52:33 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2021, 08:45:32 PM by Roll Roons »

I really don’t see why people care and making a fuss over the election taking a while to certify. That’s pretty normal (for New York especially) for elections to take awhile, especially when close and competitive. I get it doesn’t make good headlines to say “Adams has almost certainly won but we don’t know”, but honestly I’m perfectly fine waiting a week or more if it means a more fair, representative and thorough election

It's a horrible practice. Maybe it's "normal" in New York but it shouldn't be. As others have said, it gives people like Trump room to spread conspiracy theories about something being wrong with the process. And the people of NY-22 were deprived of representation for six weeks because ballot counting was such a mess. You're a f**king idiot if you're actually defending New York's election system.

Strict deadlines for receipt and certification.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 01:43:11 PM »

I am anything but a Trump supporter, but he really does have a point when it comes to this.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 03:59:10 PM »

Exactly these incompetently run elections undermine trust and confidence and make it seem like Trump's BS of election fraud may be sort of true. New York state and the city are a disgrace when it comes to managing elections properly. Not want to sound lecturing here, but sometimes I think you guys just should get out and let us Europeans run your elections. We don't have the issues.

Forget Europe. Florida does it completely right.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 04:10:59 PM »
« Edited: June 30, 2021, 04:15:49 PM by Roll Roons »

Exactly these incompetently run elections undermine trust and confidence and make it seem like Trump's BS of election fraud may be sort of true. New York state and the city are a disgrace when it comes to managing elections properly. Not want to sound lecturing here, but sometimes I think you guys just should get out and let us Europeans run your elections. We don't have the issues.

Forget Europe. Florida does it completely right.

Ah yes, Florida, that bastion of....election efficiency and fairness....

Huh 2000 was over two decades ago. Now, Florida's vote counting system is arguably the most efficient in the country.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2021, 08:44:02 AM »

Dante De Blasio's vote:

https://nypost.com/2021/09/21/board-of-elections-snafu-reveals-dante-de-blasios-mayoral-election-votes/

No one is supposed to know whom Dante de Blasio, or anyone else, ranked No. 1 on their mayoral primary ballots — unless they announce it — but thanks to the bungling Board of Elections, that information has now been made public.

Mayor Bill de Blasio’s son was one of nearly 400 New Yorkers whose votes in the June Democratic primary were disclosed in publicly available data because he was the only person to cast a ballot in the election district that includes Gracie Mansion, according to a newly released report.

Dante ranked Maya Wiley first, followed by Eric Adams, Kathryn Garcia, Ray McGuire and Shaun Donovan, researchers discovered because of the Board of Elections’ privacy-protection failures.

Researchers from Princeton University and Stevens Institute of Technology documented 378 instances in which only one person in a precinct voted in the June 22 mayoral primary, meaning Board of Elections data showed precisely whom an individual voter ranked on their ballot.

Can we just implement martial law already?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies