NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:43:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127505 times)
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« on: April 23, 2021, 06:34:00 PM »

With all of the success Yang has had in this race, I'm surprised that eric82oslo, his no.1 fan hasn't jumped back onto the forum.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2021, 06:22:49 PM »

https://www.cityandstateny.com/articles/opinion/commentary/eric-adams-has-no-principles.html

When a political ally years earlier faced a far more credible allegation of assault, though, Adams took a very different approach. As a state senator, he vigorously defended his colleague, Hiram Monserrate, after he was arrested for slashing his girlfriend in the forehead with a drinking glass.

“As a former NYPD Captain, I have some serious concerns regarding the unusual handling of the case against Councilman Monserrate… It is well known that Councilman Monserrate has been an outspoken advocate for police reform,” Adams said in a statement at the time. “I believe his role as an agent for change caused him to be denied his rights and a thorough investigation,” he added.

When the Senate in 2010 voted to successfully expel Monserrate from the body, Adams was one of just eight to vote against the expulsion. In 2018, Adams attended a birthday party for the disgraced pol.

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2021, 04:29:04 AM »

Anyways, progressives following the Joshua Collins blueprint will fail 10/10 times. This should come as no surprise.

The Bernie/DSA universe is entering a new low on their rollercoaster of momentum.
Not exactly the case — there is a reason DSA & AOC deliberately chose not to endorse Morales (and there's a reason Our Revolution solo endorsed Wiley). There’s obviously some overlap, but the Morales campaign was (the past tense is, I think, appropriate) fundamentally a left-liberal endeavor led by groups like the Working Families Party and various nonprofit orgs and progressive clubs. DSA & co. have been focused on a handful of City Council candidates. The difference reflects different political strategies and different theories of change — and one, I think, has been borne out more than the other.

And what chance do those City Council candidates stand? This on top of having no true candidate for Mayor of one of the biggest cities in America, losing almost all recognition by the Biden administration, constant collapses by popular candidates (Collins, Morales, etc) and endless infighting (Green Party civil war, Breadtube's inability to go from debate club to tangible political change, The People's Party vs. Green Party dilemma); the BernieBros aren't really up to much good these days outside of interesting Twitter threads and Youtube videos. A major reason why I've felt myself shifting back to the center as of late.

I'd rather support a Democrat or Republican who still disappoints me than the non-existent DemSoc candidate.

The Green Party? Really?

That + Whatever Breadtube is + not getting involved in the NYC Mayoral race ≠ "A new low" for the Bernie/DSA universe.

Me thinks you're moving the goalposts just a little bit.

Breadtube is the semi-ironic name given to a genre of youtube videos, where middle-class kids in their late 20s use their college degrees to make informative youtube videos about a range of subjects. To be truly breadtube, the video must pivot to some endorsement of lefty politics in the last 15 minutes or so, or have a consistent political throughline.

It's a phenomenon I have mixed feelings about, but I'll tell you one thing, it's pretty irrelevant to a discussion about the 2021 NYC mayoral election.

I'm pretty sure that these kids basically want to present their viewpoint, and none of them are particularly focused on political change outside of specific advocacy. Really not sure what it has to do with broader leftist infighting.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 02:43:58 PM »

Stringer’s statement on this is… not great:

"If, in fact, I met Ms. Logan, and ever did anything to make her uncomfortable, I am sorry," he said. "Uptown Local was a long-ago chapter in my life from the early 1990s and it was all a bit of a mess."
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2021, 04:10:10 PM »

lol

It feels kinda gross to me that Adams’ closing argument is literally just repeating: “That woman isn’t Latino.”

It’s so brazen and out in the open. If it works, I’ll be disappointed.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 02:04:45 PM »

BREAKING NEWS/s

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 06:20:13 PM »

NoHo? Given Adams probably gonna win, more like NoHope.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2021, 05:31:12 AM »

If Adams loses the primary, does he wage a write in campaign?

I doubt it.  He wouldn’t want to risk electing Silwa

I’m not 100% sure of that. The guy literally declared himself the ‘future of the Democratic party’ this week. If you’ve got that high an opinion of yourself, maybe it’s enough to decide that the city needs you, RCV be damned.

I still think it’s unlikely, but given how quick Adams was to attack the voting process once it became clear this race was still unresolved, I’m not gonna rule it out.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 01:52:16 PM »

Betting markets have Adams leading again which seems.... very off

Betting markets aren't the end-all be-all

Exactly. If you want proof, just ask President Michelle Obama (2016-20), and the other candidates who climb the rankings every four years, despite never even declaring a run.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2021, 02:22:09 PM »

Betting markets have Adams leading again which seems.... very off

Betting markets aren't the end-all be-all

Exactly. If you want proof, just ask President Michelle Obama (2016-20), and the other candidates who climb the rankings every four years, despite never even declaring a run.

She wasn't leading after the elections for those respective years, though.

Still a tossup, it's a mistake to rule Adams out.

Oh, I'm definitely not counting Adams out. I'm only just coming around to the idea that Garcia might be favoured.

Tbh, I'm just really sceptical that the betting markets have identified relevant new information, and think they're just bouncing around in a vacuum, making vague predictions while they wait for the results like the rest of us.

I've got a lot of thoughts about how betting markets get used among political junkies, but that probably deserves it's own thread some time. I think that some posters give them a level of respect typically reserved for polling, even though the average political betting pool has about the same weight/accuracy as an Atlas user poll on 'who'll win MO-SEN 2018?"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies