NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:01:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127437 times)
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« on: January 14, 2021, 02:29:00 PM »

I want Yang to win, but the constant whiplash I've gotten on this thread in the last 4 days has been aching.

It's gonna be a long primary.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 10:06:55 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 10:11:10 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

5. Yang is ahead, nobody cares about his twitter gaffes (shouldn't be a surprise)

Shockingly, I don't think Political reporters on Twitter adhere to the adage of "Twitter isn't real life".

It's like they haven't learned anything from the last 5 years.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 10:16:53 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2021, 10:20:33 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

I want Yang to win, but the constant whiplash I've gotten on this thread in the last 4 days has been aching.

Almost a week later and this still rings true.

Day 1: "He's not taking this seriously at all"
Day 2: "He's doing a good job so far!"
Day 3: "I'm finding myself really annoyed by Yang"
Day 4: "I'm finding myself really endeared to Yang!"
Day 5: "He's gonna lose so badly"
Day 6: Poll comes out showing Yang on top

And repeat

I'm of the mind that baseless speculation on Yang being on the spectrum is baseless and speculative.

We're very much used to stage managed politicians. Remember that.

Sure, and that’s why I tried to word my post to be strictly speculative while also saying that it shouldn’t diminish his chances in any way, but I don’t think I’ve ever met an adult who acts quite like Andrew Yang. Maybe he is just goofy and awkward.

Well, he is a STEM nerd. Ever come into contact with nerds? They're socially awkward and may not be the best at talking to people (Source: Myself, a STEM nerd who is socially awkward)
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 05:53:37 PM »

Are there any top-tier candidates in this race that hasn't made a faux pas so far?
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 01:25:34 PM »
« Edited: February 18, 2021, 02:49:40 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Almost a week later and this still rings true.

And repeat

Looks like we're in day 3 or 5 of the cycle. Which means we should be getting a new poll this weekend  Tongue
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 05:24:56 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2021, 05:28:49 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Yang was called a Libertarian-in-secret for a reason during the primaries. His support for cutting social security and unemployment insurance for UBI, his initial astroturfing on 4chan, and the fact that he is a wealthy multimillionaire should have been clear signals—moreso than John Dule stanning him.

It was blatantly obvious, and now the water that has been treaded beforehand and through meme magic will get Yang through with both low-information bums and small business owners over the progressive candidate.

I don't know why, but is amuses me that '4chan presence = libertarian'

Also, it feels like every day there's a new duel-candidate event which brings another day of "Will they or won't they?" speculation. Such is IRV dynamics.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 07:07:42 AM »

It's almost like every candidate in this race has one fatal flaw or disqualifying answer
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 04:47:05 AM »
« Edited: April 11, 2021, 01:51:55 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Anything exciting happening in this race? Feels like we're just waiting on baited breath for Yang's kidney stones to pass
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2021, 07:50:59 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2021, 07:56:13 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Man, looks like my bumping turbo-charged the Yang hate.

In any case, I guess get it out of everyone's systems before another long-overdue poll showing Yang with a double-digit lead, as is tradition.

And repeat

Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2021, 02:59:21 PM »

I don't have a horse in this race (And I'd likely support Morales anyway), but you'd think Yang personally murdered nursing home residents & aided Cuomo in his sexual escapades with the hate he's getting in this thread.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 08:14:51 PM »
« Edited: April 18, 2021, 08:19:46 PM by Monstro Believes DeSantis is more Overrated than Haley »

Some changes to the cycle

Day 1: "I'm finding myself really annoyed by Yang"
Day 2: "Yang's not taking this race seriously at all"
Day 3: "Yang's campaign is finished"
Day 4: "Yang is gonna lose so badly"
Day 5: "Surely this means Adams/Stringer will pull ahead now"

And repeat
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2021, 10:22:46 PM »

I really hope Yang wins. We desperately need him.

You must be new to this thread. Nonetheless, you certainly got guts.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2021, 10:24:45 PM »

I really hope Yang wins. We desperately need him.

You must be new to this thread. Nonetheless, you certainly got guts.

Do you say anything interesting

No.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2021, 12:51:50 PM »

I find Phantom & Les Mis more of a disqualifier
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 02:40:53 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2021, 06:01:15 PM by Monstro Doesn't Say Anything Interesting »

I might as well say my fears about candidates like Yang. Obviously capitalistic candidates coming from the thinktanks that are able to have cross-appeal with young people is concerning. I don’t want to fret about young people becoming conservatives or voting for them, but that’s what I see happening. He’s winning off of being quirky and memey enough in the minds of people, including the young.

I’m worried that the people I don’t like in politics will adopt this sort of strategy now.

Sounds like you have bigger fears/problems about young voters than candidates like Yang.

Regardless, Yang's strength with Asian & (possibly) Jewish voters seems just as (if not more) significant as his strength with young people.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 07:25:13 PM »
« Edited: May 02, 2021, 03:14:13 PM by Monstro Doesn't Say Anything Interesting »

Not surprising since she seems like a very competent public manager.

But obviously why vote Yang in order to maybe get Garcia running the City when you could simply vote for Garcia for mayor?
Because you can do both! The goal here isn't to peel off Garcia #1 or #2 voters, it's to get them to put Yang above Adams for #4 or #5.

With instant runoff and how few front-runners their seems to be (At the moment), being someones first or second choice isn't nearly as important as not being their last or second-to-last choice
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 06:09:54 PM »

"This doesn't look good for Yang" = NYC Mayoral race in a nutshell
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2021, 12:30:35 PM »

Given this field, NYC is going to get what it deserves.  

Yang is a meme-candidate who is simply not up to the task of being NYC Mayor and whose support for UBI should really be alarming to progressives given how many corporatists express openness to it as a Trojan horse for eliminating the social safety (the argument being that if you get $1,000 per-month, then Medicaid, food stamps, unemployment payments, minimum wage laws, and really any sort of welfare programs are no longer necessary).  

Eric Adams is a vicious anti-Semite (he once accused a Hispanic politician of being a race-traitor for marrying a Jewish woman and used to be a vocal Farrakhan supporter, among other things) who clearly lacks any deeply-held beliefs given how he flip-flopped from running as a fierce critic of police brutality to trying to market himself as the “law and order” candidate while running for Mayor...at least when he’s speaking to certain audiences Tongue

Stringer is experienced and sounds progressive enough on the issues (at least from what I’ve read), but he’s a sex predator, so he’s obviously unfit for this or any other office to put it mildly.  

Donovan just outed himself as a disqualifyingly out of touch elitist (although I’ve gotten that vibe from him ever since his dust up about campaign contributions/funds about a month ago).  

Morales sounds like a terminally online, fringe leftist type from what (admittedly little I’ve heard about her), although I don’t know too much about her tbf, so maybe she’s fine.  Idk.  

Wiley doesn’t seem awful, but she lacks experience and I don’t love the idea of putting an at least part-time MSNBC talking head in a position of real importance.  She also seems to be in at least something of a Manhattan bubble in terms of her beliefs about what life is like for the average New Yorker which...doesn’t exactly assuage my aforementioned concerns.  

I don’t really know about the others, but they don’t seem like they have any chance of winning or even cracking the top three.  I guess I’d reluctantly vote for Wiley and then not second-preference anyone.  Eric Adams, Andrew Yang, and Scott Stringer would all be terrible choices for different reasons.

'Anyone But Yang, Adams & Stringer!'?
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2021, 06:15:11 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2021, 06:19:22 PM by "?" »

The poll has Adams beating Yang 53-47% in the final round.

The only question that matters in these polls.

https://emersonpolling.reportablenews.com/pr/nyc-mayoral-poll-adams-new-leader-in-nyc-mayor-race-as-field-remains-open
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2021, 07:42:54 PM »

Garcia seems like a good candidate. I just couldn't help but notice that it hasn't even been 12 hours since the Emerson poll & the Garcia bandwagon is already looking overcrowded
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2021, 02:03:31 AM »
« Edited: May 26, 2021, 02:07:58 AM by "?" »

I honestly dont see the Garcia hype.

Shes not Adams or Yang (Or Morales). For a good chunk of folks, that's enough.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2021, 04:27:04 PM »

X
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2021, 03:51:09 AM »

Anyways, progressives following the Joshua Collins blueprint will fail 10/10 times. This should come as no surprise.

The Bernie/DSA universe is entering a new low on their rollercoaster of momentum.
Not exactly the case — there is a reason DSA & AOC deliberately chose not to endorse Morales (and there's a reason Our Revolution solo endorsed Wiley). There’s obviously some overlap, but the Morales campaign was (the past tense is, I think, appropriate) fundamentally a left-liberal endeavor led by groups like the Working Families Party and various nonprofit orgs and progressive clubs. DSA & co. have been focused on a handful of City Council candidates. The difference reflects different political strategies and different theories of change — and one, I think, has been borne out more than the other.

And what chance do those City Council candidates stand? This on top of having no true candidate for Mayor of one of the biggest cities in America, losing almost all recognition by the Biden administration, constant collapses by popular candidates (Collins, Morales, etc) and endless infighting (Green Party civil war, Breadtube's inability to go from debate club to tangible political change, The People's Party vs. Green Party dilemma); the BernieBros aren't really up to much good these days outside of interesting Twitter threads and Youtube videos. A major reason why I've felt myself shifting back to the center as of late.

I'd rather support a Democrat or Republican who still disappoints me than the non-existent DemSoc candidate.

The Green Party? Really?

That + Whatever Breadtube is + not getting involved in the NYC Mayoral race ≠ "A new low" for the Bernie/DSA universe.

Me thinks you're moving the goalposts just a little bit.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2021, 04:32:31 PM »

AOC endorsing Wiley is a pretty embarrassing error.

In what way? I find it a slightly embarrassing that she waited until the last 3 weeks to plant her flag in the ground
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2021, 02:04:05 AM »
« Edited: June 09, 2021, 02:07:15 AM by "?" »

Yang down even in an internal. June 1st to 6th

It's neat to know what folks' first choices are, but these polls are meaningless unless they also include second/third/etc. choices and simulated the rest of the RCV process
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies