NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:37:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 125655 times)
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 23, 2021, 12:34:33 AM »

Anyone else suspect that Yang being a lightning rod for media attention will be a big obstacle for anyone opposing him?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2021, 12:51:37 AM »

Anyone else suspect that Yang being a lightning rod for media attention will be a big obstacle for anyone opposing him?

Yes, see Trump 2016
Funnily enough that was in my mind while typing that post out.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 10:00:17 PM »

It's not a lock for Yang just yet, though obviously he is in a very good position right now.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 01:37:08 AM »

It's not a lock for Yang just yet, though obviously he is in a very good position right now.
He is still the frontrunner but Adams has clear momentum right now and could pull it off.
Is Adams going to be winning the bulk of Stringer's voters?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 07:59:58 PM »

It's premature to assume Yang is going to lose or even is no longer frontrunner. I'd rather wait until more polls come in.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 11:28:30 PM »

Eric Adams would be a disaster mayor and the republicans best hope at winning in four years if he wins and is t primaried

Explain.....

I’ve said this a few times before but he’s just toxic, he defends abusers, anti-semites and picks racist fights for no reason (Herman Badillo), his policies are wack (like the aforementioned 300 students debacle). Honest to god I dislike Bloomberg, Schultz as much as any democrat but if Bloomberg ran against Adams I’d probably vote for them
dude straight up went from supporting farrakhan to supporting gingrich within a year

Surprise Adams just lost a lot of my support with this revelation.
As of now, who would you rather be elected mayor, Yang or Adams?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 08:19:18 PM »

How will the general public interpret this debate, likely speaking?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2021, 11:06:56 PM »

I liked Wiley, she took on Adams the most and was effective, but I still think she's an out of touch pundit. Stringer would be so great if he wasn't so compromised. As for Garcia, the good is just accompanied by a lot of bad. Morales remains completely unqualified and unprepared and terminally online.
Wiley gives me Elizabeth Warren vibes for some reason. Is it just me?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2021, 02:58:02 PM »

F in chat for Morales' hopes of becoming Mayor.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2021, 06:29:00 PM »

This is what happens when you get too terminally online.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2021, 03:02:33 PM »

Agreed.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 04:32:12 AM »

I would still first-pref Yang. I'd also prefer Adams winning over Garcia and maybe even Wiley.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2021, 07:34:25 AM »

Christ… every time one of these people open their mouths I think I shouldn’t even bother ranking them.

I'll admit Wiley has said some dumb stuff before, but there's nothing wrong with this. I don't even see how this is bad, confronting the housing crisis and police reform are both very noble goals.
Wiley is blaming developers for the homeless crisis. That's woefully inaccurate.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2021, 07:42:47 AM »

Christ… every time one of these people open their mouths I think I shouldn’t even bother ranking them.

I'll admit Wiley has said some dumb stuff before, but there's nothing wrong with this. I don't even see how this is bad, confronting the housing crisis and police reform are both very noble goals.
Wiley is blaming developers for the homeless crisis. That's woefully inaccurate.
Do you live in new york city? Developers certainly play a role here - see Desmond's work on the "eviction crisis."
I'm not too inclined to finger developers as the big villains of this story. But then again I'm a market urbanist...
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2021, 08:55:37 AM »

Do you live in new york city? Developers certainly play a role here - see Desmond's work on the "eviction crisis."
I'm not too inclined to finger developers as the big villains of this story. But then again I'm a market urbanist...
Talk to some of those developers' tenants (and former tenants) and see what you think. NYC landlords are some heinous creatures.
I won't deny that many of the developers may be scummy in at least some ways, but it's not their fault housing prices in New York are where they are (unless they are heavily involved in restraining supply); pervasive NIMBYism, extremely high levels of demand (NYC is a very attractive place to live), and side effects from things like regulation all strike me as bigger factors.
Not that the NYC housing market needs massive deregulation and there are probably good reason for a lot of the things they have in place, but to give significant blame to developers for very deep systemic problems and side-effects from the way things are done is stretching the truth.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2021, 10:29:08 AM »

The idea that there's "pervasive NIMBYism" when nearly every single rezoning sails through is a sign that you are taking a one size fits all square peg and trying to fit it into new york's round hole. Next thing i know, you're going to be decrying the single family zoning in Midtown. From the mid 90s to 2019 there was a massive legal financial incentive to evict longtime working class residents out of rent stabilized housing, chop up the units and churn through younger renters till you got an unregulated building. And research has shown that high evictions are a precursor to displacement. So i think developers have a clear role here.
My go-to example as to proof that pervasive NIMBYism is a thing in NYC actually would be Liz Crowley being voted out seemingly as a protest vote due to a new homeless shelter being built.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 08:26:10 AM »

My preferences at this point:
1. Yang (smart, fresh ideas, his team would be able to pick up slack where he himself is lacking)
2. Adams (longtime leader against police brutality, most arguments raised against him are utterly unconvincing, I don't believe he would actually be able to mess with education all that much)
3. Wiley (she's not too bad, as a reformer type she might do some good for the city)
4. Garcia (don't care too much about her, she's a placeholder for #4)
5. McGuire (don't care too much about him, he's a placeholder for #5)

Most likely to win:
I'll just going to assume warandwar's correct here and that Adams is most likely to win and Wiley is second likeliest.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2021, 08:52:54 PM »

Adams is crushing it in northern Staten Island.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2021, 09:02:57 PM »

Any pattern to the very few Springer precincts or are they just analomies alone with nothing in common?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2021, 09:06:56 PM »

Wow, Yang seems to really be crushing it with the Ultra-Orthodox (https://rrhelections.com/). Looks like all the rabbis agreed he's the man for the job.

This bodes well for Adams who'll get a boost (as he's probably their #2)
To the surprise of no one, Yang is also doing very well in Flushing. Over 60% in more than a few precincts.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2021, 09:12:30 PM »

Who is likely winning the Latino vote? Wiley?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2021, 09:19:43 PM »

So far Adams has been cleaning up in the Bronx, including the heavily Hispanic parts.
True, and in Corona (the area in Queens) Adams has been doing really well too.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2021, 09:27:20 PM »

What's with the freaking stained-glass look of the precinct winner map in SW Queens?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2021, 09:30:22 PM »

Interestingly, there actually seems to be a non-neglibile Stringer vote here...
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2021, 09:32:34 PM »

Is it safe to say that Andrew Yang's political career is over?

How can something that never really began end?

True. It'll be interesting when the inevitable New York Times obituary about Yang c. 2073 comes out, and what it will say. I'd imagine that he'll be largely forgotten by then.
Yang is still young and he clearly has political ambitions. It's not safe to assume his political career is over.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies