NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:28:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 56 57 58 [59] 60 61 62 63 64 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127872 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1450 on: June 20, 2021, 12:02:36 PM »

Am I the only one who doesn't think any of these candidates are particularly good?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1451 on: June 20, 2021, 12:07:48 PM »

Am I the only one who doesn't think any of these candidates are particularly good?
No, you are not alone in pretending to be alone in having these positions. Such a thing was repeated dozens of times in this thread.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1452 on: June 20, 2021, 12:49:35 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2021, 02:35:54 PM by Oryxslayer »

No, you are not alone in pretending to be alone in having these positions. Such a thing was repeated dozens of times in this thread.

Yes, and the continual answer is that any candidate with a future or a decent brand has no reason to run for a dead end office like mayor of NYC, so second or third tier candidates will only ever be the options.
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #1453 on: June 20, 2021, 01:03:43 PM »

Despite Garcia basically snubbing Yang, Yang is still explicitly asking his supporters to rank her #2. Interesting..
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1454 on: June 20, 2021, 01:32:19 PM »

lol
Babeuf

« Reply #1455 on: June 20, 2021, 01:36:45 PM »

Voted early today. Brisk turnout in Gramercy. Lots of leafletters outside the polling station, mostly for the Manhattan DA and BP races. Didn’t see any for a mayoral candidate, but I guess polling place leafletting is most effective for the lower visibility races.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1456 on: June 20, 2021, 01:50:51 PM »

lol

TIL Garcia is her married name, honestly thought she was Hispanic until now
Donald Wilders
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #1457 on: June 20, 2021, 02:49:18 PM »

I don’t see much campaign stuff here in Manhattan where I am staying with my mother and father doing business. I wish I was in a part of USA right now where they have campaign signs on lawns because I don’t see much. Also I do not see any long lines for voting, is this normal?
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #1458 on: June 20, 2021, 03:05:59 PM »

lol

TIL Garcia is her married name, honestly thought she was Hispanic until now

I thought she was Hispanic too because of her last name.

It’s easy to forget that there is a lot of intermarriage these days.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #1459 on: June 20, 2021, 04:10:10 PM »

lol

It feels kinda gross to me that Adams’ closing argument is literally just repeating: “That woman isn’t Latino.”

It’s so brazen and out in the open. If it works, I’ll be disappointed.
FourEyedRick
Rookie
« Reply #1460 on: June 20, 2021, 04:34:45 PM »

ملكة كرينجيتوك
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1461 on: June 20, 2021, 05:56:30 PM »

lol

It feels kinda gross to me that Adams’ closing argument is literally just repeating: “That woman isn’t Latino.”

It’s so brazen and out in the open. If it works, I’ll be disappointed.

If he wins, it won’t be because of that.

Yikes, hope they have a speedy recovery!
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1462 on: June 20, 2021, 07:22:40 PM »

Despite Garcia basically snubbing Yang, Yang is still explicitly asking his supporters to rank her #2. Interesting..

She's not snubbing him. She said he never asked her to do the same for him that he's doing for her, and he confirmed that.

Also the fact that anyone would want Adams to be running this city, especially after the last week.

What Yang and Garcia is doing is strategic. plain and simple. anyone being mad at that should then just be mad at the entire RCV system then
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1463 on: June 21, 2021, 02:37:31 AM »

Kathryn Garcia is the only candidate I like and I will be rooting hard for her.

My guess is a lot of late deciders will feel the same way.  Garcia has her own strengths but also makes for a reasonable "none of the above" choice.  Most importantly, it seems like there's nothing actively repulsive about her, like there is with Yang or this clown Adams.

Ironically, Wiley would probably have a better chance if she wasn't endorsed by AOC.  I'd never heard of her but I would never vote for AOC's candidate if I lived in NYC.
Babeuf

« Reply #1464 on: June 21, 2021, 09:15:24 AM »

Have a feeling Wiley’s momentum has faded / not gone high enough initially. The buzz just doesn’t seem to be there.

Going to be closely watching the Council elections as I’ve sort of given up on the mayors race. If we get a decently progressive council it could maybe mitigate the worst of Adams or Garcia.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1465 on: June 21, 2021, 09:22:17 AM »

Yeah, unfortunately I think Adams is going to just barely get over the finish line.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1466 on: June 21, 2021, 09:23:32 AM »

Have a feeling Wiley’s momentum has faded / not gone high enough initially. The buzz just doesn’t seem to be there.

Going to be closely watching the Council elections as I’ve sort of given up on the mayors race. If we get a decently progressive council it could maybe mitigate the worst of Adams or Garcia.

These two should not even be in the same sentence.
SInNYC

« Reply #1467 on: June 21, 2021, 09:25:23 AM »

My reason for ranking Yang over Garcia (in 4th/5th) is that I see him as more pliable to the Council. Garcia knows what she wants to do, which is to be a visionless technocrat listening to whatever the "experts" (ie, lobbyists) tell her.  Yang's lack of experience may make him do whatever the council wants, especially since I think his heart is in the right place.
Babeuf

« Reply #1468 on: June 21, 2021, 09:27:08 AM »

These two should not even be in the same sentence.
I'm not saying they're equally bad (obviously I ranked Garcia and not Adams). But she does have parts of her agenda that are very objectionable from a left wing perspective, like removing the charter cap. She has a very technocratic vision, which would result in poor policy. A more progressive council could hopefully push back against some of those.  
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1469 on: June 21, 2021, 09:40:46 AM »

Kathryn Garcia is the only candidate I like and I will be rooting hard for her.

My guess is a lot of late deciders will feel the same way.  Garcia has her own strengths but also makes for a reasonable "none of the above" choice.  Most importantly, it seems like there's nothing actively repulsive about her, like there is with Yang or this clown Adams.

Ironically, Wiley would probably have a better chance if she wasn't endorsed by AOC.  I'd never heard of her but I would never vote for AOC's candidate if I lived in NYC.

LOL, I would expect nothing less from the resident Republican hack. Never change, gmac!
Babeuf

« Reply #1470 on: June 21, 2021, 09:48:24 AM »

My reason for ranking Yang over Garcia (in 4th/5th) is that I see him as more pliable to the Council. Garcia knows what she wants to do, which is to be a visionless technocrat listening to whatever the "experts" (ie, lobbyists) tell her.  Yang's lack of experience may make him do whatever the council wants, especially since I think his heart is in the right place.

There’s definitely something to this and it could end up being true, but he could just as easily listen to his right wing advisers and campaign people when he’s in office IMO. The Bloomberg people have been circling him since the start of the race. I find him a little too objectionable to rank 4th but he is more of a clean slate when in office than Garcia, agreed.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1471 on: June 21, 2021, 10:56:36 AM »

Someone did some backhand math for the memerson poll. I only note this cause it looks like there is significant ballot exhaustion from both Wiley and Stringer.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1472 on: June 21, 2021, 11:13:15 AM »

You should not make general statements about a candidate's electoral prospects solely on the basis of your personal tastes. There are not many people like that in NYC, and most of them will be voting Republican anyhow.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1473 on: June 21, 2021, 11:20:46 AM »

Wiley is the kingmaker it looks like, I doubt she’ll endorse this late
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar