NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:31:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 97
Author Topic: NYC Mayor/2021 Megathread  (Read 127193 times)
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1425 on: June 19, 2021, 12:40:26 PM »

Yang tells his supporters to rank Garcia second. This could be make-or-break moment for Adams' frontrunner status, given his support seems to split 50-50ish between Adams and Garcia/Wiley. OTOH, it may be too late to matter.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is one of these bolded "Adams'" supposed to say "Yang" instead?

The "his" needed to be Yang for better clarity.

Ah, gotcha! Much better now, thanks for clarifying!! And yeah, I'm pretty intrigued about seeing how Tuesday & then the RCV re-allocations over the next month pan out. If I had to guess, the cross-endorsement will probably help Garcia moreso than Yang at this point, but who knows anything anymore? The only thing that's clear is that it's not good news for Adams.

Also, on a more hilarious note, the cross-endorsement's literally out here having Yang go full-on Bobby Newport for Garcia.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1426 on: June 19, 2021, 01:13:37 PM »

Honestly, if I could vote, I'd just vote for Garcia and leave the ballot blank after that.  I don't think I could vote for any of the other candidates in good conscience at this point.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1427 on: June 19, 2021, 03:06:06 PM »

My take is that Yang knows he's dead in the water because he is so short in getting lower ranked preferences (he has a hard ceiling that is lower than either Garcia or Adams, the other two major candidates perceived as more moderate), and so eventually he will be squeezed out in the final rounds.  So he is throwing a Hail Mary pass that somehow Garcia will be squeezed out before him, and then he will get a lot more late round votes from Garcia voters that will somehow squeeze out Adams before him, and he then can beat Wiley in the final round, as the last more moderate candidate standing. It is highly unlikely to play out that way. Another possibility is that he really wants Garcia to win, if it is not him, but that seems less likely to me.
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1428 on: June 19, 2021, 03:37:15 PM »

If I was in the city, it would definitely be Garcia first, Yang second, and probably Donovan third? Leave the rest blank. Adams is too much of a wild card with some utterly horrible policy ideas and the rest would be doubling down on a bad thing.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1429 on: June 19, 2021, 05:06:13 PM »

I would honestly probably go Garcia > Wiley > Yang if I was a NYC voter and that's it. Wouldn't even rank Adams, with him being the absolute worst among the bunch.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1430 on: June 19, 2021, 05:19:42 PM »

I already regret putting Wiley first
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1431 on: June 19, 2021, 05:27:06 PM »

Really? The RCV system should see your first round vote go to Garcia if Wiley doesn't make it, and if she does it stays. There is no point who tops the list as long as your preferred of potential finalists are all ranked accordingly.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1432 on: June 19, 2021, 05:30:22 PM »

Really? The RCV system should see your first round vote go to Garcia if Wiley doesn't make it, and if she does it stays. There is no point who tops the list as long as your preferred of potential finalists are all ranked accordingly.

I regret it in that I really do not like her as a candidate, I would have preferred giving my first round vote to a write in or Art Chang.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1433 on: June 19, 2021, 07:03:22 PM »

1) McGuire
2) Yang
3) Garcia
4) Chang
5) Stringer
Babeuf

« Reply #1434 on: June 19, 2021, 07:35:23 PM »

1) Wiley (meh)
2) Morales (ugh, placeholder to rank all 5 spots)
3) Stringer (ugh)
4) Garcia (strongly dislike her, but to stop Adams)
5) Yang (very strongly dislike him, to stop Adams)

Might put in someone else in the Morales spot. Not very happy with any of the candidates this go around but stopping Adams from becoming mayor is the priority.

Bragg for DA to try to stop Weinstein, wouldn’t be my first choice if it was RCV though.
Jumaane for advocate, Lander for Comptroller. Haven’t decided my council vote but Carlina Rivera will win in a landslide so doesn’t matter.
Manhattan BP maybe Hoylman? Have to do a bit more research on that before I vote.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1435 on: June 19, 2021, 07:57:17 PM »

Babeuf

« Reply #1436 on: June 19, 2021, 08:08:26 PM »

Absolutely ridiculous. Making a RCV pact / ranking suggestion is not “stealing the election” and is not, in this case, racism.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1437 on: June 19, 2021, 08:47:43 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2021, 09:08:16 PM by Alex »

Adams sure has some weird standards for what counts and doesn't count as "racist"

Criticizing Adams for abusing his political power to park in the wrong place: KKK level racist

Not-Adams joining forced with another candidate to avoid an Adams victory: very racist, against the spirit of the BLM movement

Adams openly criticizing Badillo for "betraying his Hispanic heritage" by not "marrying within his own race/ethnicity": Okey dokey

Supporting massive racist and conspiracy theorist Farrakhan: fine by him
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #1438 on: June 19, 2021, 09:04:57 PM »

Campaigning together is racist in the same way as Buttigieg, Klobuchar, et. all endorsing Biden after South Carolina was collusion: it's not. It's strategic, in both cases, but there is nothing wrong with trying to work together to make sure you or a candidate with your values is elected.

Actually, the language of Ashley Sharpton is super similar to some of those who were backing Sanders in 2020. Adams would have done the same thing as Garcia/Yang if he could do so, in the same way as Sanders would have loved a wave of left wing endorsements. It's not just a silly thing to say, it's hypocritical and dishonest and weakens legitimate political discussion.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1439 on: June 19, 2021, 09:19:00 PM »

Honestly at this point the phrase “stealing the election” means I’m loosing and I don’t want to admit it. Anyone who uses it serious should be banished to the internet
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1440 on: June 19, 2021, 09:27:02 PM »

Jesus, Adams just sucks so f**king much. In what world does this fund-the-police cop-turned-politician get to declare what the BLM marches were all about? If he wins, then you better believe that he'll be a blight upon the Democratic Party's image: if Rahm made big-city Dems look unappealingly bad, just watch as Mayor Adams wins that race to the bottom.

Adams openly criticizing Badillo for "betraying his Hispanic heritage" by not "marrying within his own race/ethnicity": Okey dokey

Don't forget that Badillo had specifically married a Jewish woman. It didn't just come off as "if you really cared about your fellow PoC, you wouldn't have married a white girl" - which would still be awful in & of itself! - so much as it did as "if you really cared about your fellow PoC, then you wouldn't have married a dIrTy JeW," which is what I've always seen that attack as meaning between-the-lines.

It's really just outright astonishing how that somehow didn't manage to sink his political future, like, at all in the long-run.
Donald Wilders
Rookie
Netherlands

« Reply #1441 on: June 19, 2021, 09:55:40 PM »

A friend of mine from NYC who is a proud Trump voter, living in eastern Queens, told me he ranked people from his personal life as #1 on all the races but decided to rank Yang #2 and no one else for the Mayoral race. He considers Yang to be the least bad Democrat due to being an outsider who isn't as far-left as others, and thinks Adams is being a political chameleon from the establishment machine rather than a true law&order candidate. He also could be the very first person in NYC to vote for Yang in-person, having arrived early enough to be 4th in line over half an hour before the polls opened at 8:00AM.

If you want some more demographic indicators, he is twenty-six years old and Asian. He voted for Tulsi Gabbard in the 2020 Democratic Primaries last year, became a citizen in between 2016 and 2020, then voted for Trump in his first Presidential election. He actually met Paperboy Prince years ago and is somewhat friendly with him on social media even though he refused to rank Paperboy, which he somewhat regrets right now because Paperboy is a nice guy. He is possibly one of the most pro-Trump people in the country, easily among the most avid Trump supporters in New York City.

Apparently he was fourth in line despite arriving 40 minutes early. The first three were older black voters, he made conversation with the 3rd-in-line who was an older black woman but didn't bother asking who she was going to vote for. The fifth in line after him was another black woman. The sixth in line was a young college aged Asian male.

The campaign workers setting up the place were apparently a mix of older black women and middle aged Asian males, with a couple Caucasians who might have been Ashkenazi Jewish. The early voting location was in this neighborhood called Kew Gardens Hills. As he left, he passed by this middle aged Asian male campaign worker with a foreign accent who he briefly quipped "maybe we'll have our first Asian mayor?" to which the campaign worker replied "haha I hope so". Also on the way out, he passed by this Andrew Yang campaigner with a table set up flashing gaudy pro-Yang paraphernalia.

He actually knows about this forum too but I don't think he has an account on here at the moment, I cannot quite recall if he ever interacted with anyone on TalkElections before, but I suppose that's a possibility.

So he is a racial minority of the millennial generation who lives in New York City yet voted for President Trump despite being an immigrant?? Wow that is unique but then again a lot of voters defy the stereotypes.

I wonder why Yang over Adams but I guess you explained that enough. Also wait a sec wasn’t there a user like the man you described who was cyber bullied a lot by this forum?? I remember seeing this one user when I read older posts I think he had NYC millennial in his name

Personally I hope Fernando Mateo wins but if not Mateo then Eric Adams or Curtis Sliwa. I am in NYC rn because of business but I do not talk about mayoral election much or any American election much in real life recently
SInNYC

« Reply #1442 on: June 19, 2021, 10:05:38 PM »
« Edited: June 19, 2021, 10:10:07 PM by SInNYC »

1) Wiley (meh)
2) Morales (ugh, placeholder to rank all 5 spots)
3) Stringer (ugh)
4) Garcia (strongly dislike her, but to stop Adams)
5) Yang (very strongly dislike him, to stop Adams)

Might put in someone else in the Morales spot. Not very happy with any of the candidates this go around but stopping Adams from becoming mayor is the priority.

Bragg for DA to try to stop Weinstein, wouldn’t be my first choice if it was RCV though.
Jumaane for advocate, Lander for Comptroller. Haven’t decided my council vote but Carlina Rivera will win in a landslide so doesn’t matter.
Manhattan BP maybe Hoylman? Have to do a bit more research on that before I vote.

Thats exactly where I am right now on mayor, including the uggh feelings, though I might swap Yang and Garcia. Right now, I think the 1-3 and 4-5 tiers are set for me, but the position within the tiers is up in the air. I'm normally pretty sure on my rankings of candidates (even without RCV), so this uncertainty reflects how truly horrid this set of candidates is.

I really really really wish I were in Manhattan just so that I could vote against Weinstein after her recent atack ad against Bragg and Quart, an ad that tries hard to not even mention her name (other than a small lo-contrast font 'new yorkers for tali' at the end, in the TV version at least).  

My ranking for comptroller is:
1 Lander
2 Corey Johnson
3 Weprin? Not sure.
4-5 Undecided, probably blank, or rank Lander 1-3 just to feel good
Probably not: Patel, Iscol
No way: Caruso-Cabrera (grifter vibes, unqualified)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #1443 on: June 20, 2021, 01:59:32 AM »

My Preferences are;

1. Yang
2. Adams

3. Garcia

Having Wiley elected would be terrible.
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1444 on: June 20, 2021, 07:50:36 AM »
« Edited: June 20, 2021, 07:58:19 AM by warandwar »

I actually think backroom deals on preferences are not very democratic. Maybe not racist, but it is still pretty skeezy what Yang and Garcia did...
I think RCV has been a failure here in NYC - at least in terms of stated goals (less negative campaigning, fx)

Edit: my top 3 most likely to win 1. Adams, 2. Wiley, 3. Garcia
I would rather have Wiley or Adams over Garcia, I think.

I do not have a way of ujderstanding why so many of you dislile Adams outside of the way that he represents a certain type of outer boro black politics that is absolutely alien to most of you.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1445 on: June 20, 2021, 07:58:53 AM »

Lol what a baby
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1446 on: June 20, 2021, 08:26:10 AM »

My preferences at this point:
1. Yang (smart, fresh ideas, his team would be able to pick up slack where he himself is lacking)
2. Adams (longtime leader against police brutality, most arguments raised against him are utterly unconvincing, I don't believe he would actually be able to mess with education all that much)
3. Wiley (she's not too bad, as a reformer type she might do some good for the city)
4. Garcia (don't care too much about her, she's a placeholder for #4)
5. McGuire (don't care too much about him, he's a placeholder for #5)

Most likely to win:
I'll just going to assume warandwar's correct here and that Adams is most likely to win and Wiley is second likeliest.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1447 on: June 20, 2021, 10:31:33 AM »

I'm basically for anyone but Adams at this point. That man cannot be allowed to run New York City, he's awful and would be a Republican in any other city.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1448 on: June 20, 2021, 11:40:12 AM »
« Edited: June 21, 2021, 09:48:17 AM by Skill and Chance »

I actually think backroom deals on preferences are not very democratic. Maybe not racist, but it is still pretty skeezy what Yang and Garcia did...
I think RCV has been a failure here in NYC - at least in terms of stated goals (less negative campaigning, fx)

Edit: my top 3 most likely to win 1. Adams, 2. Wiley, 3. Garcia
I would rather have Wiley or Adams over Garcia, I think.

I do not have a way of ujderstanding why so many of you dislile Adams outside of the way that he represents a certain type of outer boro black politics that is absolutely alien to most of you.

The problem with RCV is that it effectively gives highly educated and politically active people extra votes.  A significant percentage of people who don't follow politics closely and are unfamiliar with RCV will just check the box for their favorite person and then walk out.   

Just have a separate runoff if no one gets a majority.  A runoff election is intuitive and doesn't require a detailed mathematical explanation of how to make sure your vote fully counts!
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1449 on: June 20, 2021, 11:45:00 AM »

A major issue was that RCV was brought in by some technocratic eggheads who nestled it in a very low turnout election between incredibly vague questions that ensured voters instinctively voted yes for all 4. Rigged election. If you want to change the voting system you need popular support for it.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 55 56 57 [58] 59 60 61 62 63 ... 97  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies